Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2013)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 37

Caladan Brood
Senior Scribe

Norway
410 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2013 :  08:28:57  Show Profile  Visit Caladan Brood's Homepage Send Caladan Brood a Private Message
Since I'm still relatively new to this forum I am somewhat floored by the fact that THO is an actual Knight of Myth Drannor, (and I'm sure there are more luminaries here abouts), wow, it's like I'm walking among legends. I'm almost afraid to ask but I suppose the Internet can be my shield, but is there a place online where I can read some of your memories from these games? I have seen snippets here and there (especially here, in this thread), but is there a campaign log of sorts somewhere? I would so love to read about your experiences, memories, favorite moments etc. if possible.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2013 :  15:01:22  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by BadCatMan

Sorry if it's not clear. "Hurler-of-Stars" Lauthdryn is clearly the Magister (of magic) in both versions. The City of Ravens Bluff dates Lauthdryn's death to "Some seventy winters ago" from 1370 DR, which matches the 1294 DR date in Secrets of the Magister (I meant to say "around the 1290s DR" earlier).
Ah, sorry, didn't realize it was the same Magister... my fault for speed-reading through the posts.
In my defense, I have come out of 'retirement' and am now working 12 hour days, seven days a week (talk about a complete turn-around!), so I can't really dedicate as much time to the internet as I used to (which was ALL of it... lol).

Still, it could be that there were different villains with differing elements, but that the two stories WERE part of an on-going series of events in the region (in other words, when the Magister defeated 'the villain', he found there was an even greater villain steering events... which sounds about right for The Realms).

And before I get in trouble... Have the clergy of Mystra ever used the expression, "Oh my Stars and Garters!"

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 10 Jun 2013 15:02:45
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2013 :  20:10:23  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by BadCatMan
It's clearly the same Magister Lauthdryn "Hurler-of-Stars", in the same year in the lands of the Vast, on a similar mission to bring down a rogue archmage, to the death of both. But the identity of the villain, their actions, and the detail of the staff are different.
Genuine mistake or deliberate mystery?

How about this - Lauthdryn goes to Ravensgate (ahem) to get Muaralygrym the Mage and he disappears into the wilds (as per Poly and the Ravens Bluff sourcebook) to hunt him/her/it down. Finds Muaralygrym who it turns out to be is actually Glaragama Dunrohiyr of Calaunt who has been in disguise as Muaralygrym and so both versions of events can be correct.

Re the staff: part of Lauthdryn's staff ends up in Ravens Bluff and another part is found atop the grassy knoll? It is noted in poly 72 "that naked power was crackling and crawling over the staff he meant to use to bring justice" and that "pieces of his shattered staff fell from thin air into the city streets".

So perhaps we can assume that the other pieces are on the grassy knoll in the wilds of the Vast or perhaps the crackling crawling magic was a powerful enchantment that caused his staff to duplicate at command when he battled Muaralygrym/Glaragama and so that explains why there are two staves found/mentioned?

Of course my favourite thought is that perhaps he actually did battle both at the same time, maybe they had set the trap against him, or perhaps Glara just took advantage of a weakened Magister and/or another archmage and wanted to slay them both perhaps? And who is to say that the summoned dragons weren't actually Tlanchass (and allies mayhap?) who followed The Hurler of Stars and visited draconic vengence on the person who killed her life love?

Cheers

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2013 :  22:51:51  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Here we go...
Damian, the Cinammon Dragon is still NDA.
Markustay, the clergy of Mystra (and her Chosen) have indeed used the expression "Oh, my Stars and Garters!" from time to time. Ever since the Srinshee used it publicly, on a dramatic occasion Ed will tell you all about some other time. (Ed sneaks it into play from time to time.)
BadCatMan, deliberate mystery, about which Ed tells me: "Quite a bit more of interest still to be revealed, but to reassure scribes for the nonce, it is the same Lauthdryn fighting in both, there was a trap, others as yet unrevealed were involved, and there were TWO staves to provide burnt remnants in two places - - because Lauthdryn's ace-up-his-sleeve was bending the Weave to provide him with the equivalent of a Bag of Holding that "couldn't go wrong" that was accessible everywhere [it was actually a closet stuffed full of dry changes of clothes and boots, food and drink, and various useful everyday items (kettle, cauldron, hook, rope and pulley, chamberpot, kindling, etc.) AND various spellbooks and magic items, including two staves, several rods, etc.]. It's still "out there," somewhere, but beware the peg that holds the door-hasp shut: it's a wand of wonder triggered to go off in not handled by someone who says the right word of (de-) activation..."

So saith Ed. Tantalizing with snippets of Realmslore almost daily...
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2013 :  22:53:57  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Caladan Brood, I haven't shared all that many memories of our games publicly, but the best place is here in this thread. Particularly early in 2004 (the first year of the thread). I've tried to avoid falling into the "well, in MY campaign..." pit, but I can occasionally be persuaded to tell old war stories...

love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

BadCatMan
Senior Scribe

Australia
401 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2013 :  02:55:13  Show Profile Send BadCatMan a Private Message
Thank you very much! Further confusion, maybe, but it's nice to see both confirmed (and here I was hoping I'd caught the master out), with a bonus treasure tale of the Vast to boot.

For everyone else, I was mainly only interested in the official version for the wiki (and yes, we've confirmed we do in fact accept Ed Greenwood's comments, and are now clarifying our policy, thanks THO).

BadCatMan, B.Sc. (Hons), M.Sc.
Scientific technical editor
Head DM of the Realms of Adventure play-by-post community
Administrator of the Forgotten Realms Wiki
Go to Top of Page

lordsknight185
Seeker

USA
99 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2013 :  06:18:36  Show Profile Send lordsknight185 a Private Message
So. Everything dwarf related is NDA then? *pouts*
Go to Top of Page

Caladan Brood
Senior Scribe

Norway
410 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2013 :  13:27:09  Show Profile  Visit Caladan Brood's Homepage Send Caladan Brood a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Caladan Brood, I haven't shared all that many memories of our games publicly, but the best place is here in this thread. Particularly early in 2004 (the first year of the thread). I've tried to avoid falling into the "well, in MY campaign..." pit, but I can occasionally be persuaded to tell old war stories...

love,
THO

Thanks, I will find my shovel and dig through it :) I love hearing war stories, it's a small fix for my roleplaying abstinence.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2013 :  13:41:22  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
One of my favorite things to do is go through 15-20 pages of the old 'Ed threads' here at the keep, from the time before I was a regular. Its not a chore at all - its fascinating.

quote:
Originally posted by lordsknight185

You know... considering we are talking about dwarves, that actually makes some sense (I think if anyone would have invented NDAs, it would have been THEM).

But as a long-time RPGer who very first character (and about half since) was a dwarf, I would absolutely LOVE some dwarf lore come 5e. Its been 4 editions (now) since they saw any love.

EDIT: Thanks for the response to my rather tongue-in-cheek question - I really did not expect that answer.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 12 Jun 2013 15:23:47
Go to Top of Page

lordsknight185
Seeker

USA
99 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2013 :  14:47:18  Show Profile Send lordsknight185 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

quote:
Originally posted by lordsknight185

You know... considering we are talking about dwarves, that actually makes some sense (I think if anyone would have invented NDAs, it would have been THEM).

But as a long-time RPGer who very first character (and about half since) was a dwarf, I would absolutely LOVE some dwarf lore come 5e. Its been 4 editions (now) since they saw any love.

hehe I suppose you have a point there. But we actually got some descent dwarf lore in 3e (With the Thunder blessing and everything...I though Thunder twins was a nice concept) and fleshed out alot of the subraces, but I agree that 4e had next to nothing new about dwarves in the realms.
Go to Top of Page

paladinnicolas
Seeker

92 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2013 :  10:21:36  Show Profile Send paladinnicolas a Private Message
I just found out about the fiend wars of Impiltur and the crusade of the followers of the Triad. This makes me wonder if the clergy and paladins of the Triad have exorcists in the Realms. Could Ed or THO please say if they do? Thanks!

Edited by - paladinnicolas on 12 Jun 2013 10:41:23
Go to Top of Page

lordsknight185
Seeker

USA
99 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2013 :  14:22:17  Show Profile Send lordsknight185 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by paladinnicolas

I just found out about the fiend wars of Impiltur and the crusade of the followers of the Triad. This makes me wonder if the clergy and paladins of the Triad have exorcists in the Realms. Could Ed or THO please say if they do? Thanks!

If you can ever get a hold of the 3.5 suppliment "Champions of Valor" look up the PRC "Triadic Knight" it has a lot of information and history/lore you may appreciate.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2013 :  16:33:41  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message
Ed,

Is there ever going to be a chance that we might see "pantheon maps" of the realms at certain snapshots of realms history. By this, I mean a map that shows an outline of Faerun (or Faerun, Zakhara and Kara-tur) and then rough shapes showing a given pantheon and its rough extent at that time in history (some of this could be overlapping areas obviously as pantheons came into contention). I think this would be something people might pay for (I know I would). For example, the Rus Pantheon, the Raumathari Pantheon, the Mulhorandi pantheon, the Mulan Pantheon, the Netherese Pantheon, the Jaamdathi pantheon, the Calishite pantheon, the Shaaran pantheon (if there was such), etc... Similiarly, the racial pantheons (because it may have been that the Seldarine or dwarven pantheons are the result of joining multiple elven or dwarven pantheons) and or things like the areas that worships things like primal powers/Archfey, etc...

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2013 :  19:29:38  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Ed,

Is there ever going to be a chance that we might see "pantheon maps" of the realms

I would be interested in this too, but I think in a lot of cases it would be more helpful to have a map for each deity. My bad if this is exactly what you meant. It sounded like you meant just one map for the whole pantheon.

I'm thinking of a large-scale (meaning small dimensions; maybe 1/4 of a 8x11 page at most) map showing just the general outline of the continent, with a shaded area for where that particular power is officially recognized. These maps would appear in a future deities book like Faiths & Pantheons or whatever... it would take up too much extra space to be in a book that merely has a Chapter dedicated to deities.

The reason for this is that many of the FR powers are specifically described as only being venerated in certain areas... Valkur, Shiallia, Gwaeron, etc.

Anyway, I like this idea and I think it could be a great addition to the deities material. I suspect that Ed might not be in charge of greenlighting it, but I would love to be wrong.
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2013 :  19:36:23  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
I would love to be wrong, too, but I don't think Ed is "in charge of" anything, and can't greenlight anything at all. I think he's a consultant, and has about the same influence he has always had: he comes up with cool ideas and points out where skeletons are languishing in closets and warns of impending troubles - - and the wise staffers listen and heed, while others don't.
So the success of the next iteration of the Realms comes down to how many wise staffers there are at Wizards, not to any decisions Ed can't make.
BB
Go to Top of Page

Caladan Brood
Senior Scribe

Norway
410 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2013 :  20:23:53  Show Profile  Visit Caladan Brood's Homepage Send Caladan Brood a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

One of my favorite things to do is go through 15-20 pages of the old 'Ed threads' here at the keep, from the time before I was a regular. Its not a chore at all - its fascinating.

Dude, I've been practically lost from the world the last day, I began at the first page of 2004. Fascinating, and so much lore! And war stories from THO
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2013 :  00:20:35  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Blueblade

I would love to be wrong, too, but I don't think Ed is "in charge of" anything, and can't greenlight anything at all. I think he's a consultant, and has about the same influence he has always had: he comes up with cool ideas and points out where skeletons are languishing in closets and warns of impending troubles - - and the wise staffers listen and heed, while others don't.
So the success of the next iteration of the Realms comes down to how many wise staffers there are at Wizards, not to any decisions Ed can't make.
BB

Quoted for truth.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2013 :  00:50:42  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by xaeyruudh

quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Ed,

Is there ever going to be a chance that we might see "pantheon maps" of the realms

I would be interested in this too, but I think in a lot of cases it would be more helpful to have a map for each deity. My bad if this is exactly what you meant. It sounded like you meant just one map for the whole pantheon.

I'm thinking of a large-scale (meaning small dimensions; maybe 1/4 of a 8x11 page at most) map showing just the general outline of the continent, with a shaded area for where that particular power is officially recognized. These maps would appear in a future deities book like Faiths & Pantheons or whatever... it would take up too much extra space to be in a book that merely has a Chapter dedicated to deities.

The reason for this is that many of the FR powers are specifically described as only being venerated in certain areas... Valkur, Shiallia, Gwaeron, etc.

Anyway, I like this idea and I think it could be a great addition to the deities material. I suspect that Ed might not be in charge of greenlighting it, but I would love to be wrong.

Actually, I was thinking more along the lines of "during the -200's DR" there were "these" various pantheons around. List the 8 or 15 pantheons, and give a brief listing of the gods and "some" of their portfolios so that you can get a rough idea of them. Now, some deities may cross pantheons, and that could be noted by simply listing them in more than one pantheon. The map should shade a general area for a pantheon. It wouldn't need to be meticulous, just give a general idea of "over here, these groups were worshipping X deities". Hell, it could be a PDF only product and I think people would still love it and buy it.

I think this would be treasured by those folks who bought the Grand History of the Realms, especially if it showed that maybe Mielikki was amongst a wave of Finnish deities (or that maybe she wasn't). It could show deities that have come and gone because pantheons came in conflict and "there could be only one" with a given portfolio. It could also show that maybe some of the deities of modern times held a lot more roles originally, but they've been pigeonholed by Ao's portfolio policy. In fact, toward Kara Tur, it may have been no celestial bureaucracy long ago... it may have been a bunch of separate pantheons that joined amiably and each took on certain roles.

It could help spark campaigns in any time period, and lets face it, that's one thing that FR could benefit from. Its already got a rich back history that people would love to see filled in. Plus, don't like modern FR because of all the gods? Well, drift back a millennia, run a campaign there where there's less gods to pick from in the immediate area.

I know Ed probably can't greenlight it, but who the heck else can you tell that might get the idea floated across? Oh, and the same product could serve double duty by maybe showing rough country boundaries for the same time periods if they wanted to bring in people of different interests.

What made me think of this was looking in the bookstore the other day and seeing Game of Thrones maps selling for $40 (which I'd love to have mind you).

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Argistrin
Acolyte

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2013 :  05:25:06  Show Profile Send Argistrin a Private Message
Greetings! As I am new to these forums, I can only hope I'm in the right place to ask. So, here goes:
I'm curious if there is a Corellon based paladin order in the realms. As reader, a dungeon master, and as an occasional player when fortune allows, I have often wondered about the existence of such a thing in the realms. (my favorite game setting and novel series) I'm aware mechanically chaotic good paladins existed in 3.5 via the paladin of freedom build, the races of the wild build, and in 4th edition since paladins only need to be of Good alignment. Keeping these things in mind, I'm curious if they grace the realms, and what lore is associated with it. From their history to their practices, to perhaps to what places they may have noteworthy temples. Is their any substance to this? or do they completely exist in non-realms content?
Oh, and to Ed, you were right, I loved the reprint you gave me at gencon back in 09. Still reading your newer works sir, and I find them delicious.
Go to Top of Page

Chronos
Acolyte

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2013 :  06:23:46  Show Profile Send Chronos a Private Message
Hi Argistrin, I'm in no way Ed, and I am sure he has more details, but the 2nd edition Demihuman Deities names a goodly number of knightly order of Corellon although none are stated to contain Paladins (no doubt due to alignment restrictions of that edition). However they could give you some ideas. :)
Go to Top of Page

paladinnicolas
Seeker

92 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2013 :  13:26:16  Show Profile Send paladinnicolas a Private Message
Today's forging the Realms article was quite interesting. Based on it I'd like to ask if any family or line can have persuasive arguments to challenge the rule of the Obarskyrs in Cormyr, and if there have been successful revolts therein that have managed to circumvent the control of the war wizards. On the ther hand, have there been abusive war wizards who falselly accuse innocents they dislike?
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2013 :  14:24:15  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Argistrin

Greetings! As I am new to these forums, I can only hope I'm in the right place to ask. So, here goes:
I'm curious if there is a Corellon based paladin order in the realms. As reader, a dungeon master, and as an occasional player when fortune allows, I have often wondered about the existence of such a thing in the realms. (my favorite game setting and novel series) I'm aware mechanically chaotic good paladins existed in 3.5 via the paladin of freedom build, the races of the wild build, and in 4th edition since paladins only need to be of Good alignment. Keeping these things in mind, I'm curious if they grace the realms, and what lore is associated with it. From their history to their practices, to perhaps to what places they may have noteworthy temples. Is their any substance to this? or do they completely exist in non-realms content?
Oh, and to Ed, you were right, I loved the reprint you gave me at gencon back in 09. Still reading your newer works sir, and I find them delicious.

you may like this thread from February. Not saying it covers all your questions, but it does add some tidbits.
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=17522

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2013 :  08:24:51  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message
I have a hypothetical question for Ed.

If he had chose to do it instead, how would he had Jhaamdath been if it was to continue as a war machine instead of having it wiped out into undeath?

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2013 :  14:22:51  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Commentary:
In regards to a 'Pantheon Map' - VERY cool idea. I would also suggest one of those Quicktime/whatever maps that change over time, so we can visually see how a god's influence waxed and waned. That would be awesome.

Question:
Are their any dangerous artifacts kept at Candlekeep for 'safe-keeping'?

Edited by - Markustay on 14 Jun 2013 14:23:23
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2013 :  20:25:41  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message
Are there any rules regarding bigamy among Waterdeep nobility?

"Then I saw there was a way to Hell even from the gates of Heaven"
- John Bunyan, Pilgrim's Progress

Fatum Iustum Stultorum. Righteous is the destiny of fools.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
http://theroleplayersgazebo.yuku.com/directory#.Ub4hvvlJOAY
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2013 :  20:26:05  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
Milady THO, I recall you answering this question before, but I didn't find anything in a couple searches of Candlekeep or Googling it, so... I'm sorry if this is a repeat. But perhaps the recent heat wave has addled me, and it's never been addressed. It's like *whisper* summer is starting. Fortunately today is overcast so far, so all is well.

The Cyclopedia of the Realms, the Grand Tour of the Realms, the Shadowdale adventure poster map, and the Cormyr accessory all have basically the same map of Arabel. The later ones add a couplefew locations on the end of the list, but other than that they seem to be identical.

#27 and #28 are identified as Gelzunduth Warehouse, and Misrim Warehouse gets #88, #132, and #138. Other warehouses aren't numbered individually; for example, there are eight Thond Warehouses on the west wall of the city, all numbered 68.

Meanwhile, there are three companies in the city whose warehouses don't appear on the list; there's no Bhela Warehouse, no Iron Throne Warehouse, and no Trueshield Warehouse. FR Adventures is also the source for their presence.

My initial thought was "we have five numbers and five necessary locations; they're just misidentified on the map." However, a quick count of examples on the map indicates only one building numbered 88, only one 132, and only 138... while Misrim is supposedly one of the strongest (biggest/wealthiest?) of the eight Houses -- this is stated in FR Adventures if I remember right. 27 and 28 are adjacent, and there seems to be only one of each of these too. House Nyaril has four large warehouses in the east corner, so it seems appropriate that Misrim should have at least three... but what they're storing/hiding/doing in their warehouses probably plays a role.

So I'm second-guessing everything, aaannd I was hoping you could help with clarifications.

Just in case it's relevant, I bake white chocolate chip cookies and I like to share.

Edited by - xaeyruudh on 14 Jun 2013 20:28:26
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2013 :  08:52:38  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
#15 on the map of Scardale "Town" in the Tantras adventure (FRE2) is an unidentified partially sunken ship commandeered by the Zhentilar/Zhentarim. I'm not seeing this ship specifically mentioned in the adventure. Does it have a name? Whose ship was it prior to the events of the adventure, and where is this person from? Is the wreck abandoned/destroyed following the PCs' departure, or used for the duration of the Zhentilar's presence in Scardale?

Lots of questions for something of minor curiosity. I'm mainly just looking for a name to facilitate shortening the description in a list of Scardale's features. But I know better than to ask Ed for just a name.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2013 :  15:48:56  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all! Ed and I have both been busy (no, not with each other! Those scribes, wash your minds out with soap! ) these last few days, but 'tis high time to deal with some more lore questions.
paladinnicolas, you're first up. Re. this: "Today's forging the Realms article was quite interesting. Based on it I'd like to ask if any family or line can have persuasive arguments to challenge the rule of the Obarskyrs in Cormyr, and if there have been successful revolts therein that have managed to circumvent the control of the war wizards. On the other hand, have there been abusive war wizards who falsely accuse innocents they dislike?"
Heeere's Ed:

Hi. The answer to your first question depends on who the audience is. To many nobles, the argument that they have just as much right to sit on the Dragon Throne as "those lucky Obarskyrs" is quite persuasive; to most others in Cormyr, far less so. For one thing, certain families (such as the now-exiled Bleths) have definitely "been around" in the region now known as Cormyr for as long as the Obarskyrs have, but some of the other families making such claims have not, and are either making them in ignorance of the realm's earliest days, or depending on like ignorance on the part of their audience.
There have indeed been successful revolts, and revolts done with the connivance of some War Wizards, AND revolts that managed to elude the vigilance of the War Wizards.
There have also been War Wizards who have falsely accused the innocent of various treasons and seditious acts, though the "mind-reaming" that had become common usage in the organization prior to the "mind-reaming will drive the reamer mad" peril that the Spellplague brought on, made such accusations difficult and foolish.
See the novel Jeff Grubb and I co-wrote, CORMYR: A NOVEL, for examples of all of these.
The majority of "oldblood" nobles do privately see the Obarskyrs as "first among equals," but tend to thank the gods that the Obarskyrs got saddled with all the headaches, danger, and time-devouring duties of rulership, while they themselves have time to pursue all their whims and hobbies, and can snipe about how badly the kingdom is being ruled to their hearts' content. So they may be firmly against this or that policy or decree, but staunch supporters of the Obarskyrs holding the Crown - - for the very good reason that they don't want the job themselves (young hotheads usually excluded from this point of view), and REALLY don't trust most of their noble rivals as alternatives; the Obarskyrs are seen as the least bad of all the available evils.
Most nobles' claims to the throne aren't based on "my family has a better claim than the Obarskyrs," but rather, "this Obarskyr fathered this ancestor of mine in these circumstances, which I can clearly see gives me a closer/better claim to the Dragon Throne than the current occupants who have Obarskyr surnames." The problem is that their personal clarity of sight differs markedly from that of other observers. ;}

So saith Ed. Creator of Cormyr and most of the sprawling sandbox around it we call the Realms.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2013 :  15:55:41  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
. . . And here's Ed's next reply, this time to sf dragon, re. this: "I have a hypothetical question for Ed. If he had chose to do it instead, how would he had Jhaamdath been if it was to continue as a war machine instead of having it wiped out into undeath?"
Ed replies:

Ah, hypotheticals. If I had three or four lifetimes to spare, I could REALLY dig into these. ;
I have always thought that if Jhaamdath had avoided the fate that befell it, that culture would have made the Napoleonic/Hitlerian mistake of expanding too fast by violent means, taking on too many foes at once, ending up beset on too many fronts at once - - and collapsing. I have in the past dropped some very subtle hints in this regard, by noting who their inevitable foes would be, if they expanded far enough (and as a game designer, I always want a setting to have a variety of opposed powers, purely because it makes for more interesting and varied adventure opportunities).

So saith Ed. Who's on a roll this morning (well, it's still morning here as I type this), and has yet another reply up his sleeve...
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2013 :  16:15:08  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
And as promised, here's that third lore response...
Chosen of Asmodeus asked: "Are there any rules regarding bigamy among Waterdeep nobility?"
And Ed replies:

Yes. Bigamy is legally a no-no. Nobles can have any number of lovers, mistresses/prettyboys and "kept partners" and so on, but they can only legally have one spouse at a time, and any offspring they produce with that one spouse are their legal heirs, in order of birth (and in most noble houses, regardless of gender, though there are a few that count only males AND a few that count only females, in lines of inheritance/precedence). You can divorce a spouse or lose one to death, and be free to remarry; the new spouse has all the legal standing of a previous one, but such a change in spouses doesn't make any difference to the legitimacy of offspring had with a previous spouse. Neither does marrying a lover make any offspring you had with them before marriage "retroactively legitimate," such bastards remain illegitimate and can't gain legitimacy unless they become the last living family relatives (i.e. all legitimate family members are dead). Note that bastards can be named heirs of real estate and chattels in a will or deathbed proclamation, and even appointed "regents" to legitimate children - - this may make them effectively noble in their daily duties, wealth, and social doings, but they still aren't "legitimate." Dead nobles who rise as undead have lost their legitimacy, though in rare cases they have been socially reaccepted as themselves (i.e. they still can't inherit or take over as heads of houses, but may act as the head of a house or a parental-style advisor; some style themselves as house "champions," and act as bodyguards for family members, or fight duels for them/represent them in places and situations of danger).
Finally, the Open Lord of Waterdeep has on several occasions throughout history been forced to rule on legitimacy in situations (usually thanks to shipwrecks or kidnapping brigands) where a spouse has gone missing for years and been presumed dead, so a funeral has been held and their partner has subsequently remarried, only to have the original later turn up. In all but one of these rulings (wherein there was a strong suspicion that the noble involved tried to have the first spouse murdered so they could take a second one - - in that case, the first one was affirmed and the second one "set aside," which was relatively easy to do because there were offspring of the first, but none from the second), the Open Lord has confirmed BOTH first and second spouses as legitimate. So yes, in these limited cases [I've created two of them, out of six cases of Open Lord judgments, but can't recall if other writers have introduced or strongly hinted at any], bigamy is possible among nobles in Waterdeep. As a freely-tolerated custom initiated by the nobles involved, though, bigamy is still prohibited.
However, taking lovers of other nobles' spouses while everyone looks the other way or even makes sport of it, is frequent among certain nobles and calmly ignored by many others. I hope this has been of help; as I was typing it, quite a few plot hooks I'd built in over the years rose to mind, so perhaps it will similarly spur ideas among DMs.

So saith Ed. Creator of Waterdeep, its nobles and Open Lords, and more plot hooks than either of us can count, down the years.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 37 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000