Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2013)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 37

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2013 :  19:20:38  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

In Cormyr, black nobility are few, and all of them are descended from...
A hugely awesome reply.

Thank you Ed/THO for this information and Markustay for posing the question.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2013 :  20:06:08  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
And the Realmslore font and factory that is Ed just keeps pounding out replies today!
Here's Ed's response to this, from Eilserus (April 15th of this year): "As a quick follow-up, aside from Mithril Hall and Thunderholme, what kind of ways do dwarves hide the entrances to their strongholds or mines? Without surface facing towers or defense points, does this make defending them more difficult? Thanks again. :)"
Ed replies:

Dwarves often hide the entrances to their strongholds and mines in natural fissures or caves: side-clefts closed by apparently-natural stones, often where water trickles or gushes down a rock-face to hide the "bright scratches" created by stone grating on stone. Dwarves are very good at shaping stones to move easily in greased grooves or with the aid of counterweights, or both, so a lone dwarf can readily shift a large rock. There are always stone pegs or "chocks" to hold moving rocks closed (akin to the way a bar keeps a door fastened) available.
The most common "safeguard" inside such an entrance is a secondary "drop-door" or "falling block" that can be released to crash down like a portcullis and either crush intruders trapped in a well-like area they must move through, or block the way entirely, so explosive spells or days of hard pick-work will be required to remove the obstacle (because the means of raising it again are "hidden" from the intruders above/behind its bulk).
It's the norm for defensible entrances, no matter how large and grand, to be tunneled with tight dogleg turns or bends, and ramps going up as one goes in, because both features allow relatively small numbers of defenders to inflict heavy losses on attacking intruders. For instance, a heavy cart full of rocks and flammables can be fastened at the head of a ramp, then released to crash down the ramp to crush intruders against the "back wall" of the abrupt turn at the bottom of the ramp, where the cart is wedged in place. Drop-logs attached to the cart's rear wheels are then released (usually by chopping through cords with an axe) to fall against the wheels and act as brakes, to prevent them turning (so intruders can't easily shove the cart back up the ramp). Finally, fuses are lighted to ignite the flammables on the downside end of the cart, that have been selected and arranged to create a very smoky fire. The defenders retreat from the entry passage, usually closing yet another inner door, to get away from the smoke - - which has nowhere else to go except down the passage, suffocating or forcing out the intruders.
Finally, dwarves are VERY good at contructing arrow slits, spyholes, and doors so that they aren't easily visible, or even have overlapping "plugs" of stone that cover them on the outside face (plugs that can be shoved sufficiently far out of the way on long batons of stone or wooden spars, so the dwarves can see around the plugs).

So saith Ed. The guy who wrote DWARVES DEEP and created Dethek and generally brought dwarves to life in the Realms.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Joebing
Learned Scribe

USA
202 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2013 :  21:30:44  Show Profile Send Joebing a Private Message
quote:

Hi again, all.
Joebing, your Sumbral question MAY still be NDA. Ed will check...
love,
THO

Thanks for passing it on THO. Hoping there is something, otherwise I have a long week ahead.

Now plugging away on mass conversion to 5e, as well as my imprint J. Halk Games.

http://www.facebook.com/JHalkGames

First adventure on DM Guild: Lair of Elaacrimalicros
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2013 :  19:34:07  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message
quote:

And the Realmslore font and factory that is Ed just keeps pounding out replies today!
Here's Ed's response to this, from Eilserus (April 15th of this year): "As a quick follow-up, aside from Mithril Hall and Thunderholme, what kind of ways do dwarves hide the entrances to their strongholds or mines? Without surface facing towers or defense points, does this make defending them more difficult? Thanks again. :)"
Ed replies:

Dwarves often hide the entrances to their strongholds and mines in natural fissures or caves: side-clefts closed by apparently-natural stones, often where water trickles or gushes down a rock-face to hide the "bright scratches" created by stone grating on stone. Dwarves are very good at shaping stones to move easily in greased grooves or with the aid of counterweights, or both, so a lone dwarf can readily shift a large rock. There are always stone pegs or "chocks" to hold moving rocks closed (akin to the way a bar keeps a door fastened) available.
The most common "safeguard" inside such an entrance is a secondary "drop-door" or "falling block" that can be released to crash down like a portcullis and either crush intruders trapped in a well-like area they must move through, or block the way entirely, so explosive spells or days of hard pick-work will be required to remove the obstacle (because the means of raising it again are "hidden" from the intruders above/behind its bulk).
It's the norm for defensible entrances, no matter how large and grand, to be tunneled with tight dogleg turns or bends, and ramps going up as one goes in, because both features allow relatively small numbers of defenders to inflict heavy losses on attacking intruders. For instance, a heavy cart full of rocks and flammables can be fastened at the head of a ramp, then released to crash down the ramp to crush intruders against the "back wall" of the abrupt turn at the bottom of the ramp, where the cart is wedged in place. Drop-logs attached to the cart's rear wheels are then released (usually by chopping through cords with an axe) to fall against the wheels and act as brakes, to prevent them turning (so intruders can't easily shove the cart back up the ramp). Finally, fuses are lighted to ignite the flammables on the downside end of the cart, that have been selected and arranged to create a very smoky fire. The defenders retreat from the entry passage, usually closing yet another inner door, to get away from the smoke - - which has nowhere else to go except down the passage, suffocating or forcing out the intruders.
Finally, dwarves are VERY good at contructing arrow slits, spyholes, and doors so that they aren't easily visible, or even have overlapping "plugs" of stone that cover them on the outside face (plugs that can be shoved sufficiently far out of the way on long batons of stone or wooden spars, so the dwarves can see around the plugs).

So saith Ed. The guy who wrote DWARVES DEEP and created Dethek and generally brought dwarves to life in the Realms.
love,
THO

Very cool. Thank you again Ed and THO. :)
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2013 :  20:41:47  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message
I don't if it was asked, so pm me the answer or tell me which page and post number. but at the end of elminster enrage..... which Mystra is it, a combined of the goddess that were the lady of mysteries, the 1srt Mystra, Midnight, or mystrl, or the dread nda the destroyer of all?

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Sightless
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2013 :  22:08:35  Show Profile Send Sightless a Private Message
To the Hooded one, this question might unfortunately open a can of wirms, and I apologize for it, but it does concern a character of mine. What are the odds of a half-orc being linched in Cormyr? I know, touchy subject, but given the problems with orcs in the Stonelands, etc, etc. It’s something that is plossible, and while it’s not something most people like to talk about, it’s something that’s come up around my gaming circle before. Thanks in advance, and for all the information you two have already dished out.

We choose to live a lie, when we see with, & not through the eye.

Every decision, no matter the evidence, is a leap of faith; if it were not, then it wouldn't be a choice at all.
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2013 :  01:21:13  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
Glad all is well up there. I've surfed a few earthquakes in California, and I say they're the gentlest of nature's reminders that we are but tiny little bugs... but they definitely make one suddenly very aware of one's surroundings.

Illar Zund, a member of The Hunt (grey box page 20), is actually Illara... is she Illara Zund, or is her surname modified or adopted? Can anything more be shared of her history? The Hunt is led by a woman, so I'm guessing her reason for pretending to be a man has something to do with hiding from the authorities of somewhere (rather than trying to gain acceptance in a male-dominated group)? Did she steal something from Pasha Pook?

Lady THO, do your notes (how I want to read them all!) have anything else that can be shared regarding this group in play? Did they run afoul of the Knights (or something dark) in the home game?
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2013 :  03:47:33  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
Adding onto my earlier query into Mane's Band: in 1357 they're believed to be "in the wilderlands east of the Moonsea" ...does this mean Vaasa? Damara doesn't really strike me as wilderlands, unless we're talking about north of the Giantspires. Or are they in the Galenas/Earthspurs?
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2013 :  05:51:50  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi, all.
xaeyruudh, Mane's Band were in the Earthspurs (both aboveground and in subterranean caverns therein). I'll have to check with Ed re. what more I can say of them.
I'll also have to check with Ed about Illara, but I know you're right that she was hiding her identity so as to escape the notice of authorities, rather than pretending to be a man for purposes of belonging to the Hunt/being accepted within the Hunt/craving a greater status within the Hunt. Ed will share more, if he can.

Oh, and sfdragon...I think what you're asking re. Mystra is NDA until the end of The Sundering (i.e. the publication of Ed's next novel, THE HERALD, in 2014), but I'll check with Ed to see if I'm right about that.

Sightless: shot by arrows from hiding, perhaps, reported to the local authorities just on suspicion, very likely, but lynched, highly unlikely. Cormyreans seldom run to lynchings, whatever's afoot. Again, I'll check with Ed.

love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Sightless
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2013 :  06:25:14  Show Profile Send Sightless a Private Message
quote:

Hi, all.
xaeyruudh, Mane's Band were in the Earthspurs (both aboveground and in subterranean caverns therein). I'll have to check with Ed re. what more I can say of them.
I'll also have to check with Ed about Illara, but I know you're right that she was hiding her identity so as to escape the notice of authorities, rather than pretending to be a man for purposes of belonging to the Hunt/being accepted within the Hunt/craving a greater status within the Hunt. Ed will share more, if he can.

Oh, and sfdragon...I think what you're asking re. Mystra is NDA until the end of The Sundering (i.e. the publication of Ed's next novel, THE HERALD, in 2014), but I'll check with Ed to see if I'm right about that.

Sightless: shot by arrows from hiding, perhaps, reported to the local authorities just on suspicion, very likely, but lynched, highly unlikely. Cormyreans seldom run to lynchings, whatever's afoot. Again, I'll check with Ed.

love to all,
THO

Thanks for all those answers, especially mine, and having heard it, I can see the Elvan influence in the Kingdom all the better now; or perhaps that's just how my DM likes to use elves. Always firing from cover.

Every decision, no matter the evidence, is a leap of faith; if it were not, then it wouldn't be a choice at all.
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2013 :  06:34:30  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
Many thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2013 :  13:03:03  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Thank you THO & Ed for that awesome reply about racial diversity (specifically in Cormyr).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2013 :  16:21:11  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
A pleasure!
Sightless, Ed and I were chatting late last night, and he mentioned to me a scene at the beginning of THE BLACK ARROW by Robert Louis Stevenson that vividly illustrates what he outlined about locals using arrows to settle scores.
In the scene, the old archer Appleyard is shot down from cover.
Later, verses from "John Amend-All" are found, warning of the black arrows he intends to shoot in vengeance. They read in part:
"One is gone
One well sped
Old Appleyard is dead"
(I've cleaned up the spelling; in the original, Stevenson makes it clear the person writing the note is an unlettered commoner by making the spelling wonky.)
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Sightless
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2013 :  17:08:22  Show Profile Send Sightless a Private Message
That seen had indeed past through my mind, along with "Burning the Five banners, " by Shu'Lin. The joke was Thanks again, that seen did indeed occur to me, as the Black Arrow is one of my favorites, along with "Five Banners are Burning." The last was more of a personal joke. I appreciate it being a source of discussion, may you have a good day.

Go to Top of Page

lordsknight185
Seeker

USA
99 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2013 :  17:17:49  Show Profile Send lordsknight185 a Private Message
I have a question for Ed. Well more-so a curiosity, but I am unsure of how to ask without wording things foolishly...So I will just go for it.

This is sort of two separate questions: Have you ever humored the notion of another spellfire-wielder, a character besides Shandril? and if so, or if not; Now that (I'm presuming)that Mystra is now restored, or will be restored (Knowing that it is NDA, i'm not asking for a clarification on that) But would it be possible in the future that the post-spell plague generations will ever experience Spellfire again? Or is it just something to be a legend in the Realms that will never be or can not ever be witnessed again in the current times, or the times which will be?
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2013 :  19:41:41  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. lordsknight185, I bring a swift reply to you from Ed:

Hi. There are other spellfire wielders in the Realms right now (meaning: at any time from 1340 to 14XXwhenever DR). They're just keeping VERY quiet about it, and using their abilities as little as possible and as privately as possible - - because they've seen or more often heard what happened to Shandril.)

So saith Ed, creator of spellfire, Shandril, the Realms, and so on...
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2013 :  21:18:59  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
In answer to Blueblade:
as a Kickstarter, this project is a little older, but Ed did do multiple monsters for it:
The Bestiary of the Curiously Odd by RKDN Studios
. . . and I KNOW Ed is involved with at least one more he can't talk about yet.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Joebing
Learned Scribe

USA
202 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2013 :  01:28:21  Show Profile Send Joebing a Private Message
Is it correct to assume that the adventure I previously asked about from Dragon 200, "The Whistling Skeleton", takes place approx 1367-68 DR, in the early years of 2nd Edition?

Now plugging away on mass conversion to 5e, as well as my imprint J. Halk Games.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2013 :  03:06:09  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi, Joebing. I'd say the early years of 2nd Edition are a decade earlier, myself (1357 DR and onwards), but yes, although Ed carefully left the adventure undated, he says 1367-68 should be about right.
Sumbral lore coming, in about a week . . .
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

lordsknight185
Seeker

USA
99 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2013 :  04:23:11  Show Profile Send lordsknight185 a Private Message
Excellent answer. Thank you THO and Ed. :)
Go to Top of Page

Joebing
Learned Scribe

USA
202 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2013 :  11:55:29  Show Profile Send Joebing a Private Message
quote:

Hi, Joebing. I'd say the early years of 2nd Edition are a decade earlier, myself (1357 DR and onwards), but yes, although Ed carefully left the adventure undated, he says 1367-68 should be about right.
Sumbral lore coming, in about a week . . .
love,
THO

THO & Ed,
Thank you, I am indebtted. I did go ahead and start working on a generic NPC version using the 3.5 ruleset, but Ed's lore will give better insight to an actual fleshed-out Sumbral. BTW, to clarify, I mistyped, and meant early years in our world (1993). I noticed Ed had left things carefully undated from certain time periods, but through my research of the Realms (while converting it all to the 3.5 ruleset), I started noticing a rough equivalent of 2 years in the Realms to one year in our world.
Much love,
Joebing

Edited by - Joebing on 22 May 2013 12:14:55
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2013 :  15:31:13  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Commentary, if I may...

quote:

Hi again, all. lordsknight185, I bring a swift reply to you from Ed:

Hi. There are other spellfire wielders in the Realms right now (meaning: at any time from 1340 to 14XXwhenever DR). They're just keeping VERY quiet about it, and using their abilities as little as possible and as privately as possible - - because they've seen or more often heard what happened to Shandril.) <snip>
I had assumed as much. Not only just now (whatever 'now' you happen to believe in, LOL), but that this was generally always the case.

Shandril was famous simply because of where her story occurred, the details surrounding it (and personages), and what she did with it (many times in a BIG way... which was foolish in the end). In other words, it was more along the lines of series of (unfortunate) events that lead to her fame, and the fact that the 'wrong' people became aware of her before the 'right ones'.

And, as far as the Spellplague affecting Spellfire and the frequency of occurrences... one would imagine it was closely related to the (2e) concept of 'wild magic' (which is another form of spontaneous magic), so I would think the possibility is there for even MORE cases to have appeared post-plague, but most of those cases were ending quickly and badly (something along the lines of 'spontaneous human combustion').

Imagine finding a huge bag of fireworks... while you were in the middle of forest fire.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 23 May 2013 15:32:03
Go to Top of Page

paladinnicolas
Seeker

92 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2013 :  20:16:53  Show Profile Send paladinnicolas a Private Message
Hi Ed and THO,
I would like to know if there is a prison where the most dangerous criminals from all of Faerun are sent; and also if there are peaceful means to solve controversies between nations: e.g. if there is a territorial dispute between Cormyr and Sembia, can they resort to some arbitration tribunal or mediator?
Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Joebing
Learned Scribe

USA
202 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2013 :  21:36:28  Show Profile Send Joebing a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by paladinnicolas

Hi Ed and THO,
I would like to know if there is a prison where the most dangerous criminals from all of Faerun are sent; and also if there are peaceful means to solve controversies between nations: e.g. if there is a territorial dispute between Cormyr and Sembia, can they resort to some arbitration tribunal or mediator?
Thanks!

I believe IIRC that Wheloon became a prison city post-Spellplague, but prior to the Spellplague (which is where most campaigns occur still I assume), I would also like to know this one. I know of one in the Underdark called Manzessine Prison, found in Dungeon 94 (labelled 92 on the spine) in the adventure "Spiral of Manzessine", which can be run around the time of City of the Spider Queen easily, but I haven't seen references to surface prisons.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2013 :  00:38:52  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all.
paladinnicolas, there's no one prison in the Realms where the "most dangerous criminals" are sent, because every realm has its own justice, lawkeepers, and sentencings (including incarceration). Prisoners are sometimes handed over or swapped after delicate diplomatic negotiations (often kept from the public), but most rulers of every stripe don't trust anyone else (especially not rival rulers)to imprison individuals they deem undesirable.
There are many attempts at peaceful trade, border, and other negotiations between realms, and these succeed surprisingly often (as in: there are far fewer wars than one might expect, although the game and published Realms products focus on the conflicts and it may well seem otherwise). These are almost always on a diplomatic level between rulers (via envoys), and not through some sort of "above the ruling level" standing organization - - though the history of the Realms has a lot of such organizations at a regional level (e.g. the Lords' Alliance in the northwest, the Dales Council in the Dales, the various moots that cobbled together the Silver Marches in the North). The priesthoods of many deities are constantly busy, diplomatically, all across the Realms, as a parallel diplomacy to courtiers and the decisions of border-patrolling defenders.
And finally, remember the Calendar of Harptos and those summer "holidays" (and, specifically, what happens at Shieldmeets).
However, if you're looking for something Realmsian akin to the real-world United Nations or the International Court at The Hague - - no, there are no "official standing bodies" in particular buildings that anyone can go to at any time. Everything's more ad hoc.
There are prisons (dungeons) everywhere in the Realms, but they tend to be small-scale and local, because feeding and watering prisoners is expensive (and it makes more sense, if you don't want to prisoners to be idle and therefore ripe for mischief or violence, to keep them busy growing their own food, and therefore existing in smaller groups, at a subsistence level, or even incarcerated as individuals, scattered through the dungeons of many castles and fortresses across a land, where they can easily be fed by the kitchens of those fortresses as just "one more mouth," and where they are scattered and "who is where" is more secret, so rescues and pirson-breaks are kept to a minimum). Many Realmsian rulers prefer work-gangs, so their prisoners continually improve local roads, bridges, public lighting and signalling systems (beacons and flags) and irrigation.

All of the above comes from many discussions with Ed, over the years.
love,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 24 May 2013 00:40:44
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2013 :  04:01:26  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message
Hi Ed and THO,

I was recently rereading Hand of Fire the other night and I was curious if there was any more info you could provide regarding the Tombgate that's part way up Eveningstar Gorge? What does the Eveningstar end look like and how does it open? I'm definitely curious as to Tessaril's sword that opened the Scornubel end. Is her sword magically keyed to open that specific gate or capable of opening all sorts of gates in a sort of general purpose gate key?

Thank you both very much. :)
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2013 :  05:54:51  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message
Well again THO and Ed,

Ed, you mentioned in a previous reply that your language notes are very fragmentary. Understanding this, I have a few word questions (and one about pashas) for which I hope the answers come to mind without your having to search through your notes. If not, no worries.

Is there a word in Alzhedo for ventriloquism or gastromancy?

Or a name for someone that can throw their voice like a ventriloquist?

Or words that translate roughly into Common for “throat speaker” or “speaks with no tongue” or “tongueless speaker” or “speaks as a (fire or air) elemental”?

Were there ever any Calishite pashas who were fond of servants that had this talent/skill?

If yes, could you give a name or two?

I ask because I have an idea for a magic curtain that steals voices, but that can only be activated by non-magical words formed in the throat of someone whose tongue is all or partially missing.

Thank you in advance for any answers you provide.

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 24 May 2013 09:25:39
Go to Top of Page

paladinnicolas
Seeker

92 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2013 :  09:25:43  Show Profile Send paladinnicolas a Private Message
Dear THO, thank you for your answer, as always you are very helpful. One last question. You mentioned that "The priesthoods of many deities are constantly busy, diplomatically, all across the Realms, as a parallel diplomacy to courtiers and the decisions of border-patrolling defenders."
Which faiths and churches are more likely to engage in such endeavors? I guess that Eldath's is among them, and perhaps also Tyr's or churches devoted to the issues that are the object of the diplomatic disputes or negotiations. Is that so?

Edited by - paladinnicolas on 24 May 2013 09:29:43
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2013 :  15:45:10  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.

Jeremy, I've sent your questions off to Ed, but "tongueless" I can answer, because cutting off the tongues of those who blasphemed or said bad things about pashas was oncea common punishment:
nuth-zimalu (literally, "without-tongue")
We'll see what "tongueless speaker" turns out to be.

paladinnicolas, ALL priesthoods do diplomacy. They do it with different aims (advancement of the church always among them), so clergy of Shar want to sew discord, clergy of Tyr want to see justice and the continual making and redefining of laws, and so on - - but they all do it. (Divine portfolios matter more here than alignment.)

love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2013 :  17:01:04  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message
quote:

nuth-zimalu (literally, "without-tongue")
We'll see what "tongueless speaker" turns out to be.
Wow. That's awesome.

That cutting off tongues was once a common punishment helps me out too.

Thank you very much.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 37 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000