Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2013)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 37

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2013 :  07:41:06  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Ed, who is the most resurrected being in your campaign to date?

Who is the most infamous band of "Robin Hood" style villains, robbing merchants, caravans, other adventurers and such yet never killing anyone at least not purposely, even attempting to heal those they hurt severely? How long did they last?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2013 :  13:14:01  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by createvmind

We know Nain Keenwhistler has the record in Waterdeep, for the most resurrections...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2013 :  15:09:09  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by createvmind

We know Nain Keenwhistler has the record in Waterdeep, for the most resurrections...

Which does remind me... I really need to reference every single one of those. Including the various ways in which Nain died each time.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2013 :  22:54:46  Show Profile Send Razz a Private Message
quote:

So, long story short -- your question has been forwarded to Ed. He may answer within hours, you may be waiting for a few years... I've got unanswered questions going back at least 3 or 4 years, myself. I've gotten almost immediate answers, and I've gotten answers so much later that I'd forgotten I'd asked the question.

Heck, even being able to email him directly doesn't guarantee a swift answer to a lore question...

Ah ok, thanks for clearing it up. I forget he has to root through both NDA and cross reference with what he has or what another designer has in mind before saying anything.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2013 :  04:54:06  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Razz

quote:

So, long story short -- your question has been forwarded to Ed. He may answer within hours, you may be waiting for a few years... I've got unanswered questions going back at least 3 or 4 years, myself. I've gotten almost immediate answers, and I've gotten answers so much later that I'd forgotten I'd asked the question.

Heck, even being able to email him directly doesn't guarantee a swift answer to a lore question...

Ah ok, thanks for clearing it up. I forget he has to root through both NDA and cross reference with what he has or what another designer has in mind before saying anything.

Not a problem. We all want our Edlore!

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2013 :  06:08:30  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Razz

quote:

And I know the archives themselves are still being updated, Razz, but if either you or any other scribes are concerned that you may have missed important replies to your queries, in future, simply PM me, and I'll search through the compiled files -- including those that have yet to be updated on the main site.

Go to Top of Page

wozniak1995
Acolyte

United Kingdom
19 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2013 :  14:30:34  Show Profile Send wozniak1995 a Private Message
Who is currently the best or most powerfull spellcaster in the realms?
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2013 :  15:09:45  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message
Was reading about the possible discovery of a Viking "sunstone" in the Englilsh channel. Got me wondering how the average realms ship without a wizard or magic items managed to navigate in foul weather. Especially extended periods without sunlight and stars.

http://21stcenturywire.com/2013/03/09/fabled-viking-sunstone-crystal-believed-to-be-found-at-bottom-of-english-channel/

edit: i meant to ask about ships without a wizard or magic items navigating in weather with no visible sun and/or stars.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963

Edited by - The Red Walker on 19 Mar 2013 22:20:42
Go to Top of Page

paladinnicolas
Seeker

92 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2013 :  15:46:38  Show Profile Send paladinnicolas a Private Message
I was wondering whether there are 'international crimes' in the Realms, that is to say wrongful acts considered as unlawful regardless of where they are committed and even if they are not considered as such under the law of one city-State or State. If so, would priests of Tyr and now Torm be the most likely official enforcers of such international norms given the justice portfolio of those deities? In such a case, do they have authorization to persecute and perhaps prosecute (logically someone different from those orders to avoid their being enforcers and juges) offenders?
Thanks to both Ed and THO!
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2013 :  15:53:52  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

Was reading about the possible discovery of a Viking "sunstone" in the Englilsh channel. Got me wondering how the average realms ship with a wizard or magic items managed to navigate in foul weather. Especially extended periods without sunlight and stars.

http://21stcenturywire.com/2013/03/09/fabled-viking-sunstone-crystal-believed-to-be-found-at-bottom-of-english-channel/

Historically, there were several methods of navigation, referring to the stars the most famous. The sun and moon were the other points to follow for celestial navigation. Beyond that, experienced sailors can refer to landmarks (sail within sight of land or from point to point), follow known wind patterns, and follow known ocean/sea currents.

Magic would make these things unnecessary of course. A simple find the path can tell you where to go. Dragon Mag had a some spells about sailing including some for navigating.
Go to Top of Page

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2013 :  00:20:28  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message
I have a few follow ups to Eldacar's question on pg. 12 for Ed as I recently acquired the Magic of Incarnum book. Are there any known/high profile Incarnum practitioners/users in the Realms? Would they be more likely to be found in any one particular area?

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
-The Sith Code

Teenage Sith zombies, Tulkh thought-how in the moons of Bogden had it all started? Every so often, the universe must just get bored and decide to really cut loose. -Star Wars: Red Harvest

Edited by - Tyrant on 20 Mar 2013 00:22:44
Go to Top of Page

Xar Zarath
Senior Scribe

Malaysia
552 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2013 :  02:14:11  Show Profile Send Xar Zarath a Private Message
Dear Ed and THO, with the coming of 4e, one of my pet peeves was that the succubus was changed to being a devil. My question, is Malcanthet Queen of the Succubi now an archdevil in the heart of the Abyss or does she remain a demon lord with dominion over demonic succubi? or are all succbi devils?

As a side note, are all the erinyes just beastly and ugly, or do they retain some semblace of celestial beauty?

Everything ends where it begins. Period.

Go to Top of Page

Foxhelm
Senior Scribe

Canada
592 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2013 :  02:29:51  Show Profile Send Foxhelm a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Xar Zarath

Dear Ed and THO, with the coming of 4e, one of my pet peeves was that the succubus was changed to being a devil. My question, is Malcanthet Queen of the Succubi now an archdevil in the heart of the Abyss or does she remain a demon lord with dominion over demonic succubi? or are all succbi devils?

As a side note, are all the erinyes just beastly and ugly, or do they retain some semblace of celestial beauty?

I might be able to answer it, at least the first question. The "Wandering Monster" article on Wizards of the Coast has what the development team is doing with monsters. With 5th edition... The Succubus is a Demon Again, but one which seems to be working both sides of the fence.

From the article:
quote:
Succubus-Tempting Demon. A succubus in its natural form appears as a beautiful human woman with horns and huge, batlike wings. Physically the weakest of the demons (except the pathetic manes), succubi use their magical abilities to secure servants and allies for their own protection, ruling through wit and threat rather than a raw show of power. They are not very discriminating in their choice of servitors, selecting from among other demons, devils, yugoloths, and even mortals as the opportunity arises. This might account for the mistaken impression among some mortal sages that succubi are actually devils, rather than demons. Their magical abilities reinforce this role: they can charm, suggest, dominate, and otherwise control weaker-willed creatures, as well as change shape and read thoughts well enough to maintain complex disguises. Succubi have high Intelligence and Charisma scores, but low Strength scores. They are resistant to weapon damage unless the weapon is magic or made of cold-forged iron.

The Article is:

http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4wand/20121120

They had a poll too on the succubus on should she be a demon, devil both or neither?

This article from the next week show the vote:

http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4wand/20121127

I hope no one minds me answering this in my own way. Now back to Mr. Greenwood.

Ed Greenwood! The Solution... and Cause of all the Realms Problems!
Go to Top of Page

Kno
Senior Scribe

452 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2013 :  13:10:06  Show Profile Send Kno a Private Message
What happened to Elminster's space station. Did it suffer the Spellplauge?

z455t
Go to Top of Page

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2013 :  22:01:52  Show Profile Send Razz a Private Message
I don't understand why they couldn't leave the core D&D monster mythology alone?

Sorry. Need a new thread for that topic, I know.
Go to Top of Page

Arcanus
Senior Scribe

485 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2013 :  20:27:57  Show Profile  Visit Arcanus's Homepage Send Arcanus a Private Message
Was looking at some youtube vids of ed. He seems to have lost a lot of weight in the last few years. Can we put this down to the stress of 4e?
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2013 :  20:45:05  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Heh. No.
Ed's lost weight for four reasons: heart surgery, onset of diabetes (both factors in changing his diet), and taking over the cooking from his increasingly frail wife - - which means he's preparing his own meals and (by and large) eating in a more healthy manner. The last reason: Ed and his wife both retired from their Toronto library jobs, which meant 120-mile commutes into work in the morning, and a 120-mile commute home, 6 and sometimes 7 days a week (yes, folks, Ed wrote all the Realms novels and columns and game products he did ON TOP of that - - so if you ever think he's taking too long to answer your questions, think about the pace he keeps).
Ed now works at a library that's only 30-some miles away. Which means he's sitting on his behind, driving, a max of 2 hours a day (shopping included), instead of 6 hours a day - - which in turn means more exertion/better health.
Add to that nursing his wife (carrying her around, bathing her, and the like) and taking over the gardening on a former farm, too, and you have a skinnier Ed.
With worse knees, he hastens to inform me. No more hockey or fencing (the sword kind, not the mending farm fences kind; he's still stuck with that) for Ed.
love,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 21 Mar 2013 20:45:50
Go to Top of Page

Arcanus
Senior Scribe

485 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2013 :  00:21:50  Show Profile  Visit Arcanus's Homepage Send Arcanus a Private Message
It can't be healthy to be as busy as that. I'm glad he has slowed down (a very little lol). My best to Ed and his wife.
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2013 :  13:48:45  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message
Hi Ed/THO,

I've always been drawn to Saerloon in Sembia. I have a question about it, and wondering if you can give an answer or if it may be NDA. There are major temples to both Azuth and Mystra there, the temple to Azuth is even bigger/more important than the one in Halruaa according to Faiths & Avatars. Why is there such a connection to Mystra/Azuth in the city, which is otherwise just a major trading port? Was there a Mystra/Azuth event in the city or on the site of the city that causes it to be such a holy place for the Gods of magic? Do the Chosen of Mystra visit the churches there often?

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2013 :  14:05:55  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Here's Ed, answering Seravin's question, immediately above:

For years, Saerloon was the "forgotten" large, wealthy, and bustling Sembian port, overshadowed by its neighbor and rival, Selgaunt. Naturally, the "static" traders (shopkeepers, as opposed to great mercantile houses that have investments everywhere, fleets and caravan companies, and so on) of Saerloon wanted local attractions to build up Saerloon's brisk trade to outstrip Selgaunt's even brisker daily business (in the face of the built-in handicap of Selgaunt's location and better harbor - - and after the fall of Ordulin, the movement of much governance and administration to Selgaunt).
So those in power in Saerloon set about differentiating themselves from Selgaunt. Any growing, wealthy trading and social powerhouse will have shrines to all deities and minor temples to most gods, not always mentioned in canon products (because we never had enough wordcount to include everything), and Selgaunt and Saerloon are no exception - - but Saerloon decided to court several faiths that had a light presence locally, by providing free land, tax breaks, and limited exemptions to some local laws (i.e. within the walls of the temple, "holy law" governs, rather than secular, allowing priests to shelter taxable goods, provide refuge to fugitives [often in return for "donations"] and so on).
Two of these faiths were those of Mystra and Azuth, because Sembia also wanted to attract more resident wizards, to counter the perceived growing threats of the Zhentarim, the Red Wizards, and others (both unscrupulous mages of Westgate, and what turned out to be Shadovar agents), who often "marauded" in Sembian cities, unhampered by feeble local mages, to get at the wealth there (i.e. ruthless local Sembians would hire them to counter foes or smite trade rivals, and the hired wizards would do so but also do their own "on the side" activities to gain even more wealth, almost always indefiance of local laws).
So the city elders of Saerloon, sponsored by the wealthiest self-styled "noble" families, invited in clerics of Mystra and Azuth, to be both a cover for their own wizard-hiring and to "police" marauding mages.
(And no, none of the Chosen visit the Sembian temples or shrines of either Mystra or Azuth all that often. They don't neglect them, but they don't have cause to frequent them.)

So saith Ed, creator of Mystra, Azuth, Sembia, Saerloon, Selgaunt, and so on . . .
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2013 :  14:50:08  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. I bring Ed's reply to Dalor and to Cbad285, re. Evermead. Here's Ed:

There is no "official" recipe for Evermead, and I will bow to anything Lady Elaine Cunningham, the reigning expert on this, can provide.
However, here's the closest equivalent I have devised (a rhodomel):
Needed:
1.5 gal blackberry honey
1 pkg montrachet yeast
1/2 gal rose petals
8 oz rosewater
3 gal water (avoid chlorinated and fluorinated tap water)
1 gal cherry juice (can be from concentrate, but avoid sugar-augmented "cherry cocktail")
1 vanilla bean
2 cloves

Bring 2 gallons of water to the boil, then remove from heat and stir in honey, keeping stirring until it dissolves.
Pour remaining water into main fermenting vessel, stirring in cherry juice.
Add hot must to main fermenting vessel, and stir. Check temp, and stir in yeast when temp gets below 80 degrees (F).
Do the usual fermenting thing. :}
Shake/swirl to oxygenate, then rack onto mesh bag containing rose petal, cloves, and vanilla bean (slice bean open down length, first).
Makes 5.5 gal
As with all meads, tinker with this until you like the result.

So saith Ed. Who emphasizes that he hasn't made mead often, although he HAS had success. The sugar content tends to make him violently ill after imbibing, though (diabetic). However, Cbad's workplace, fropm its website, seems like an establishment he has to visit. Someday, somehow...

love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2013 :  15:19:49  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
And here I am again, this time with a reply from Ed to Bladewind, re. this: "For an upcoming session I want to start in a small elven village, but I was wondering if such elven settlements have any smithies in them at all? If so, Ed, what forges are used by Torilian elven mastercraftsmen to craft their famous steel/mithril blades, armor and arrowheads? I can't imagine all elven craftsmen travelling to nearby dwarven or human forges for making their weapons.
I imagine they don't use traditional firewood consuming forges because they tend to eat up a lot of fuel (albeit wood, charcoal or bitumen) and pose fire threats to the forest if the nearby trees are not specially warded against extreme heat. Did elves come up with a 'cold forging method' that's relatively safe to use in their preferred forest environs or do they require magic wards for every metalsmith in their communities? Are elven smiths perhaps forced to work outside of the forest (in specially chosen areas well isolated to the trees)? Thanks in advance!"
Ed responds:

Hi, Bladewine. The elves are by no means monolithic in their approaches to forging, and over the years have tried various methods of forging (including travel to mountain or Underdark caverns to do their work). However, over the years, most elves have refined two things used far more by elves (and half-elves) than by dwarves, gnomes, humans, and other smiths: surrounding the forge, anvil, and quenching-baths in sphere-of-force-like spells that contain (and therefore concentrate, so smaller heat sources can be used) flame, sparks, and heat (to protect flammable surroundings, of course), and enspelled quenching oils that contribute to tempering and therefore cut down on repeated heatings, hammerings, and quenchings to strengthen and layer blades.
So most elves use traditional forges, fueled by charcoal and/or specific culled creepers and thorn-vines, and augmented by fire retention spells, encircled by the shielding spells that protect forest greenery and the flammable forest loam "ground" (and so allow them to locate smithies in the depths of sylvan homelands).
Hope this is of help.

So saith Ed, detailer of elves for the Realms, Castlemourn, and Golarion...thus far.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2013 :  15:27:58  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
And here's Ed yet again (on a roll this morning!) with an answer for Foxhelm (and The Sage):

Yes, there are "think tanks" in the Realms, but there's no overall term for them, because they tend to get called different things depending on who assembled them and why (temples host local and interfaith "councils" or "conclaves" to discuss local controversies, border disputes, rules for developing industries, guild clashes, and so on; rulers call the same things "alliances" or "councils;" and smaller private meetings are often just called "cabals" or "moots" or "meets").
I would tend to say a "think tank" has to be more than a single meeting - - or a big moot for discussion followed by a vote/sign things/settle things followup. It should mean a group, however amorphous in membership, that meets or communicates via magic or written messages over a number of years to discuss some continuing themes as well as "problems of the moment."
These sort of groups form and dissolve (often silently "fading away" rather than acrimoniously breaking up) all the time. Here are four long-lived ones:

The Dalethnar (named for Daleth, the very successful and wealthy caravan company owner of eastern Amn and Tethyr), a merchants' group that meets, usually twice a year, in various strategic Heartlands trading centers to discuss matters of shipping (such as tariffs, inspections by the authorities of various governments, remounts and provisioning, and collective response to brigandry, weights/measures and standardized containers, attempted bans/trade controls by rulers or priesthoods, and so on). Formerly dominated by Amnians, but the Sembians are muscling in.

The Ravens (this is what everyone calls the Conclave of Ravens except its members), a gathering every two years, at a different independent and usually isolated (but with multiple routes in and out, and not a lot of nearby cover) settlement in Faerun, of mercenaries. The Ravens discuss rules of conduct, which patrons (often rulers) will "go under the ban" or be limited in how many members they can hire or what conditions will be imposed on their hirings, by member "swords," thanks to their treatment of members in the recent past (for example, scapegoating and executing mercenaries after said hireswords were put in militarily impossible situations, or framed for things they did not do). Mirt of Waterdeep was briefly a member, back in his days as Mirt the Merciless, mercenary swordcaptain.

The Starflame, a "court of conduct" for independent mages that meets in Scornubel at least once a year (but more often if crises arise) to debate laws and treatment of independent arcane spellcasters by various rulers (and priesthoods, and costers, and guilds). This cabal (as most non-members refer to it) has fallen silent, or retired into secrecy, several times over four centuries or so, but risen to public prominence time and again. Famous/infamous members have briefly included the Blackstaff (Khelben Arunsun), Sememmon of the Zhentarim, and Lauraud, one of the Sceptanars (city rulers in Chessenta).

Athaenul's Seat, a gathering of livestock breeders large and small (dominated by "large") that usually assembles somewhere along the Heartlands "Throat" trade routes (linking the Sword Coast with The Sea of Fallen Stars, through Berdusk, Iriaebor, Priapurl, and other nearby settlements) to discuss prices, breeding, diseases, laws enacted by various rulers, feed crops - - and, detractors of this group insist, ways of arranging shortages so as to keep prices higher than they should be. Many noble houses of Cormyr have taken to quietly attending the Seat, not to mention Waterdhavian noble houses such as the Roaringhorns.

So saith Ed. Who promises Razz he hasn't missed or forgotten the Scroll query! The problem is that most Baldur's Gate lore IS completely NDA'd at the moment, thanks to a forthcoming adventure written in part by Ed, but mainly by Matt Sernett.
love to all,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 23 Mar 2013 16:01:20
Go to Top of Page

Foxhelm
Senior Scribe

Canada
592 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2013 :  17:02:20  Show Profile Send Foxhelm a Private Message
Thank you Master Greenwood, and another question series.

We know the realms has flying ships of various makes and models.

As a fan of the Stargate series and Sci-Fi in general...

Has their been any mystical/technological development of ships, vessels or vehicles which have a teleporting transportation system? A ship which can teleport for long or short distances? Or one which can slip through another dimension/plane to shorten arrival times?

Yes, I know of the Shadowfell short cuts of the Shades/Sembia. But are there others as well? Elven trade companies which use short cuts through the Feywild? A church which uses a shortcut through the planes of their gods? Or even just as I said a teleporting ship which jumps from one point in Toril to another?

Can you talk about this or is it NDA? Or can we see this in a future article on Wizards of the Coast?

Please and Thank you.

Ed Greenwood! The Solution... and Cause of all the Realms Problems!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2013 :  20:01:04  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Foxhelm

Thank you Master Greenwood, and another question series.

We know the realms has flying ships of various makes and models.

As a fan of the Stargate series and Sci-Fi in general...

Has their been any mystical/technological development of ships, vessels or vehicles which have a teleporting transportation system? A ship which can teleport for long or short distances? Or one which can slip through another dimension/plane to shorten arrival times?

Yes, I know of the Shadowfell short cuts of the Shades/Sembia. But are there others as well? Elven trade companies which use short cuts through the Feywild? A church which uses a shortcut through the planes of their gods? Or even just as I said a teleporting ship which jumps from one point in Toril to another?

Can you talk about this or is it NDA? Or can we see this in a future article on Wizards of the Coast?

Please and Thank you.

The Realms Master, from the Forgotten Realms comic book done by DC and TSR, was capable of teleportation. It had an artifact, the Astrolabe of Nimbral, that allowed it to teleport around the Realms.

Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2013 :  20:18:06  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message
Hello Ed and THO,

Ed, I have a question about socks.

If I'm a member of the Purple Dragons in 1479 DR or thereabouts, do I put my bare feet in boots before I go about my daily business, or do I put socks (or some equivalent) on before I put on my boots?

Does the onset of wintertime or a posting in the colder reaches of Cormyr have any effect on this?

Thank you both very much.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2013 :  01:15:43  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

The Starflame, a "court of conduct" for independent mages that meets in Scornubel at least once a year (but more often if crises arise) to debate laws and treatment of independent arcane spellcasters by various rulers (and priesthoods, and costers, and guilds). This cabal (as most non-members refer to it) has fallen silent, or retired into secrecy, several times over four centuries or so, but risen to public prominence time and again. Famous/infamous members have briefly included the Blackstaff (Khelben Arunsun), Sememmon of the Zhentarim, and Lauraud, one of the Sceptanars (city rulers in Chessenta).
Interesting.

What is the exact mandate of the Starflame? Does it have the collective authority to punish deliberately abusive mages who shirk the laws of various rulers and such? How does the Church of Mystra respond to the Starflame cabal? Do any cities/rulers actively support the Starflame within their areas of influence?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2013 :  02:33:55  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Ed/My lady Hooded One, I'm just redirecting an earlier query I raised elsewhere to this scroll:-
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Heh. Interestingly enough, ley lines were in Ed's original Realms. Everywhere. Remembered by few, but the witches of Rashemen and the northern barbarians (now the Uthgardt) were among the rememberers.
love to all,
THO

Very interesting.

Can you elaborate some more on these ley lines in Ed's original Realms, my lady? Especially within the context of the Uthgardt and the Rashemar?

Go to Top of Page

Arcanus
Senior Scribe

485 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2013 :  14:33:58  Show Profile  Visit Arcanus's Homepage Send Arcanus a Private Message
Lady THO, it has probably been asked before but why when Mystra died was there no replacement god of magic? Some say Shar blocked this somehow, yet we are given to believe Ao is the only one who can do this. At the risk of answering my own question-is it because Mystra never truly died and was only greatly diminished? I hope this finds you well.
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2013 :  19:28:48  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message
Hi Ed and THO,
I was hoping you could tell us a bit more about that drow citadel in Elminster Enraged where the drow were trying to harness the silver fire. Does the citadel have a name or any history you could share? If I understood it right, the drow did fail at capturing the silver fire? I got the impression this was a near surface research outpost, due to their work and the trove of human spellbooks. Was this an outpost of Sschindylryn? Any info about the drow arraugra (ballistae) and the drowic glass armor that was referenced would be great too as I've never heard of those either.

Thank you both! :)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 37 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000