Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2013)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 37

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2013 :  20:57:23  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by crazedventurers

quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Tulrun's Tent

As he has been mentioned, any chance we could have some lore on Tulrun - what is favourite drink is? what spell did he enjoy creating the most? what spell he enjoyed casting the most? was he involed in any mythal making? you know the simple stuff

Cheers

Damian

IDK if its what you want, but Tulrun had his own article in Polyhedron 126
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2013 :  16:57:52  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage
IDK if its what you want, but Tulrun had his own article in Polyhedron 126

Thanks MM, always hopeful of some more lore on a famous magic user of the Realms

Cheers

Damian
ps for those who aren't aware, Polyhedron magazine is available on the internet way back machine

http://archive.org/search.php?query=polyhedron

as well as Dragon magasine

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2013 :  18:19:57  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message
[/quote]
Thanks MM, always hopeful of some more lore on a famous magic user of the Realms
[/quote]

No problem. By the way, I forgot to mention Tulrun was a student of mine back in our glory days in Myth Drannor. That's cannon.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2013 :  01:30:14  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Greetings Ed, I've another query to add to my ever-growing queue...

I've been recently thinking about reflecting the resignation of the Pope and the changes ruffling through the Catholic Church as a result, in the real world, in my Realms.

But I need a suitable Realms-equivalent to work with. So, my query is thus:- In your Realms, has there ever been a similar scenario played out through any of the many nation/Realms-wide [goodly-aligned, I suppose] religious institutions whereupon the "accepted" head of a church has stood down, rather than seen his/her time as revered leader of a faith, to term -- say, to when his/her god calls him/her to the god's side?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2013 :  02:31:46  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message
O O

WHOA! Awesome question, Sage! I'm personally very interrested in seeing how religious organisations in the realms view their own changes in hierarchy, and how often they occur among the goodly organsations (; partly because I expect evil clergies are likely to be prone to sudden shifts in power).

Are the highest ranking priests still active in 'earthly' affairs at all? They can willingly visit their deities realm after all...

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2013 :  03:10:16  Show Profile Send Razz a Private Message
Dear Ed,
Hopefully a question that can be answered to the greatest detail allowed. Considering the locale, I am sure this might or might not be NDA, and it seems most questions concerning Baldur's Gate is.

What can be told about the Shrine to Oghma known as the Unrolling Scroll? One would figure being so close to Candlekeep to the south, that this place would be much more than a "shrine".
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2013 :  20:10:25  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi, all. I bring a reply to Markustay, re. these: "Another thread inspired me to think about Mythals - were there any Spellfire users involved in raising Myth Drannor's Mythal? How about other Mythals?"
Ed replies:

Yes. And yes.
Oh, you want specifics? Well, Elminster is one spellfire user who was involved in the raising of several Mythals, including Myth Drannor's. Let me check to see how much more I can reveal... (might take a while)...

So saith Ed. Who is a busy busy boy right now...
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2013 :  19:27:04  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Thanks for that - is the fact that Eliminster has Spellfire widely known (or is this a secret you only just revealed?)

I can't recall if I was aware of this before. In your own mind, do you think Sorcery is related to Spellfire in some way? (the innate ability to 'do magic' without having to study spells).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2013 :  19:37:34  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message
Elminster's spellfire was widely known (to D&D readers anyhow) and referenced in more sourcebooks than I'd care to quote, circa AD&D2E at least. Although this was before any canonical definitions for silverfire were properly published, so I would allow for some confusion or contradiction in the earliest 2E examples.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

paladinnicolas
Seeker

92 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2013 :  21:01:47  Show Profile Send paladinnicolas a Private Message
Oh sage of the Realms, excuse my poor handling or your language for, alas, I was born and raised speaking one derived from Latin... I have played Eberron mostly, and must admit that it is currently my favorite setting, but when I started playing D&D I DMed in the Realms and have fond memories of it, so much so that I plan to start playing in them again. Yet, it is difficult for me to forget some of the things I like about Eberron, and I was wondering about their possible presence in the Realms. Therefore, I would like to ask if there is currently tension between nations to the point of their being on the verge of war, and if they engage in espionage (I played a long time ago, but if I recall correctly perhaps Tethyr and Calimshan or Amn are in such a situation... is that so?). Additionally, concerning alignment nuances and difficult moral choices, is it true that the Harpers, despite their claims, have actually engaged in questionable operations and even committed wrongs? On the other hand, are there peace treaties in the Realms? Lastly, is there some sort of transnational law enforcement? I was thinking of priests of Tyr in previous editions, perhaps.
Lastly, if I may... I read that you once wrote that you were also a fan of other settings, so I'd like to ask you what you think about Eberron. Thanks a lot!
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2013 :  04:29:49  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Thanks for that - is the fact that Eliminster has Spellfire widely known (or is this a secret you only just revealed?)

I can't recall if I was aware of this before. In your own mind, do you think Sorcery is related to Spellfire in some way? (the innate ability to 'do magic' without having to study spells).

]

i think its mentioned in the Shandril books.......i believe elminster evens tells her.....as well as several other sources , many named in this scroll: http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9619

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963

Edited by - The Red Walker on 08 Mar 2013 04:31:50
Go to Top of Page

Xar Zarath
Senior Scribe

Malaysia
552 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2013 :  07:24:35  Show Profile Send Xar Zarath a Private Message
Dear Ed and THO these are some questions for your consideration, if you could answer them swiftly that would be most appreciated, Thanks!

1.It has been stated that Aumvor the Undying is one of the foremost mages on necromancy, when other Netherese were busy looking up and beyond, he was gazing into the powers of death, however my question is did he know how to create a mythallar to make his own enclave?(All official lore states that he resided in a keep only)

2.Prior to Asmodeus's ascension, did he know the total amount of exiled archdevils, their names, powers etc? Are they many or just a few?

Everything ends where it begins. Period.

Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2013 :  10:33:18  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Xar Zarath

1.It has been stated that Aumvor the Undying is one of the foremost mages on necromancy, when other Netherese were busy looking up and beyond, he was gazing into the powers of death, however my question is did he know how to create a mythallar to make his own enclave?(All official lore states that he resided in a keep only)

I'd think the official answer for this would be yes. Mythallars had more than one use and did not have to be used to keep an enclave aloft. How the Mighty Are Fallen has an example of this with the lichlord. If it were not for the physical descriptions I would have assumed the lichlord to be either Aumvor or Larloch. Maybe he was and we just don't know it or maybe he was just another powerful lich.

It should also be noted that the Return of the Archwizards books have created the possibility that The Fall did not destroy all they mythallars. I figure at least three or four other than the Sakkors mythallar survived, including one in Warlock's Crypt and one in what is now called Moonrise Craig in southern Semberholme (this one is a special modified Mythallar)
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2013 :  16:04:12  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi, all.
Xar Zarath, ask and ye shall receive. Heeeere's Ed:

1. Yes, Aumvor knew how to make a mythallar. And did. :}
2. "Prior to Asmodeus's ascension"? Mortals in the Realms don't know of a time before Asmodeus was the ruler of the Nine Hells. It's he who's done the exiling, so yes, he knows their names and (vaguely; archdevils grow and develop over time, just as humans do) powers. In terms of relative numbers, outcast devils are very few - - but if you had to face them all as an army, you'd be facing seventy-odd formidable foes. Most of them are in hiding, and will avoid confrontation except on their terms (i.e. they would never form an army). Six or seven of them are "persistent troublemakers" in the eyes of Asmodeus.

. . . And in response to The Masked Mage, Ed adds:

That lichlord is indeed another lich, not Aumvor nor Larloch.
And more than a dozen mythallars have survived that I know of, though some of them are very small and low-power (size of a small room/closet).

So saith Ed! Who will be attending the launch today (3pm EST) of Julie Czerneda's brilliant fantasy novel TURN OF LIGHT at BakkaPhoenix bookstore on Harbord Street in downtown Toronto, Ontario, Canada (N side of Harbord, just W of Spadina). Ed gushed about this book when he read the MS, and has gushed every chance he's had since, so...worth picking up!
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2013 :  16:15:27  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hi, all.
Xar Zarath, ask and ye shall receive. Heeeere's Ed:

1. Yes, Aumvor knew how to make a mythallar. And did. :}
2. "Prior to Asmodeus's ascension"? Mortals in the Realms don't know of a time before Asmodeus was the ruler of the Nine Hells. It's he who's done the exiling, so yes, he knows their names and (vaguely; archdevils grow and develop over time, just as humans do) powers. In terms of relative numbers, outcast devils are very few - - but if you had to face them all as an army, you'd be facing seventy-odd formidable foes. Most of them are in hiding, and will avoid confrontation except on their terms (i.e. they would never form an army). Six or seven of them are "persistent troublemakers" in the eyes of Asmodeus.

. . . And in response to The Masked Mage, Ed adds:

That lichlord is indeed another lich, not Aumvor nor Larloch.
And more than a dozen mythallars have survived that I know of, though some of them are very small and low-power (size of a small room/closet).

So saith Ed! Who will be attending the launch today (3pm EST) of Julie Czerneda's brilliant fantasy novel TURN OF LIGHT at BakkaPhoenix bookstore on Harbord Street in downtown Toronto, Ontario, Canada (N side of Harbord, just W of Spadina). Ed gushed about this book when he read the MS, and has gushed every chance he's had since, so...worth picking up!
love to all,
THO

Thanks THO & Ed!
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2013 :  02:33:17  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Got to see Ed at the launch for Julie Czerneda's first fantasy book (big thick tome, have started it, good so far), and he was his usual affable self.
Told me he was hard at work on The Herald, the wrap-up Sundering novel, and has been writing lots of Forging the Realms columns. His Pathfinder novel has been handed in and was "a lot of fun" to write, and next up after The Herald is his Emerald Spire level "and some quick stuff," then his steampunk novel for Tor Books. Then, he told me, it will be time to turn to his next Realms novel after the Sundering.
He and Gabrielle Harbowy have "pretty much" finalized the roster for When The Hero Comes Home 2, and the stories are "superb to awesome." He, Gabrielle, and a lot of the authors who made it into Hero 2 will be at Ad Astra this year (Canada's annual big fantasy/sf convention, this year April 5th to 7th at the same hotel as last year, on Woodbine Avenue in the northern exurbs of Toronto), for "a good time" and to talk more business.
I have been one of Ed's fans for years and years, but whenever I meet him I'm impressed anew at how friendly he is and how much he boosts other writers (including beginning, unpublished ones), not to mention utterly awed by the pace the man keeps up. (He helps out lots of writers behind the scenes with unpaid "story doctoring" and encouragement and connecting them with publishers and so on, not to mention spots of ghost writing here and there, not just the stuff we know about with his name on it.)
Bravo, Ed! May you keep it up for years!!
BB
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2013 :  00:06:10  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Hello Ed,

In your realms and homebrew who would be the Lao Tzu and Sun Tzu or Musahshi's in terms of books of warfare and strategy and who would be the greatest Monk class generals or advisers in terms of war stratagems?
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2013 :  04:45:54  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message
Hello THO and Ed,

Ed, could you tell us a little about dentistry in Cormyr, as it was practiced from about 1369 to 1479 DR?

Is working on people’s teeth a specific practice all unto itself? Or is it shared amongst other professions and trades?

Also, during that same time period, was dentistry all that different in Waterdeep than in Cormyr?

Lastly, were there any fads amongst the nobility of either Cormyr or Waterdeep during those years involving teeth?

As you might have guessed, I went to the dentist today.

Thank you both!

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 12 Mar 2013 04:50:44
Go to Top of Page

Marc
Senior Scribe

657 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2013 :  11:15:54  Show Profile Send Marc a Private Message
Greetings, no questions, just want to say that the new Dragon article about Abyssal traders was one of the most interesting in the 4th edition

Go to Top of Page

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2013 :  03:44:53  Show Profile Send Razz a Private Message
Only thing in the article that made me wince was the "dhergodemon" mention but I am sure that was more of a plug by some 4E Editor than it was Ed.
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2013 :  04:05:16  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message
Ed, on another scroll, a scribe was wondering what it would take to make something similar to Evermead.

Have any suggestions?

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Marc
Senior Scribe

657 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2013 :  11:11:07  Show Profile Send Marc a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Razz

Only thing in the article that made me wince was the "dhergodemon" mention but I am sure that was more of a plug by some 4E Editor than it was Ed.

I sort of accepted that change - they are from chaos-tainted yugoloths banished in the Heart of Darkness purge. Their inherent elemental nature is still doubtful tough.

Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2013 :  23:20:55  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message
For an upcoming session I want to start in a small elven village, but I was wondering if such elven settlements have any smithies in them at all? If so, Ed, what forges are used by Torilian elven mastercraftsmen to craft their famous steel/mithril blades, armor and arrowheads? I cant imagine all elven craftsmen travelling to nearby dwarven or human forges for making their weapons.

I imagine they don't use traditional firewood consuming forges because they tend to eat up a lot of fuel (albeit wood, charcoal or bitumen) and pose fire threats to the forest if the nearby trees are not specially warded against extreme heat. Did elves come up with a 'cold forging method' thats relatively safe to use in their preferred forest envorins or do they require magic wards for every metalsmith in their communities? Are elven smiths perhaps forced to work outside of the forest (in specially chosen areas well isolated to the trees)?

Thanks in advance!

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

Cbad285
Learned Scribe

160 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2013 :  03:35:35  Show Profile Send Cbad285 a Private Message
I've posted this topic in the general chat, but was processed here.

Here is my question for Ed.

I work at Dragonmead Microbrewery in Warren MI and I'm working on brewing a real life version of Evermead, but I do not know exactly what the mead would consist of. So the question has two parts.

What are the ingredients to Evermead

and two,

Where can I find sources that describe the taste and texture of the mead?
Any help would be much appreciated!

"Beware the Dream Fever!"
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2013 :  16:56:37  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi, Cbad285, I'll try to get hold of Ed and squeeze a reply out of him for you, but from my notes, I find this much (which isn't much):

"Evermead is a rhodomel (honey with attar [[distillate of rose petals]])"

Hoping Ed can supply much more...
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2013 :  17:05:55  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
And one of Ed's longtime fencing partners saw the above post and e-mailed me with more:

Ed once told me evermead is a sweet (but not cloyingly sweet) mead "spiced up" with cherry juice, vanilla beans, and rose petals - - actual rose petals. This was after I stopped making batches of mead, when diagnosed as pre-diabetic. Boy, mead gave me WHAMMO hangovers.

And there you have it: a little more. I'm not sure Ed has an actual recipe to share, mind you...
love,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 16 Mar 2013 17:06:18
Go to Top of Page

Foxhelm
Senior Scribe

Canada
592 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2013 :  02:02:47  Show Profile Send Foxhelm a Private Message
Are there such thing as Think Tanks (Groups of collective thinking on any topic/topics) or their equalivant in the Realms? What are they called? Could you give Examples?

Please and thank you?

Ed Greenwood! The Solution... and Cause of all the Realms Problems!

Edited by - Foxhelm on 17 Mar 2013 02:03:11
Go to Top of Page

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2013 :  20:05:42  Show Profile Send Razz a Private Message
Did my Unrolling Scroll question get seen? Apologies if it has, I am not yet used to this thread's workings yet.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2013 :  21:24:33  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Razz

Did my Unrolling Scroll question get seen? Apologies if it has, I am not yet used to this thread's workings yet.

No question in Ed's thread goes unseen by him; his Lovely Hooded Emissary passes on everything to him, sometimes including discussions on other threads.

Here's the thing: Ed is one insanely busy guy. He has a creative output to rival that of the hypothetical Shakespearean monkeys, on top of a day job and other commitments. On top of that, he doesn't always have the answer to any given question readily available -- there is much Realmslore to be found piled in boxes and such in his legendary basement. And on top of that, he treads an ever-shifting minefield of NDAs and projects he has to avoid speaking on. Sometimes he can't even mention an NDA without giving something away.

So, long story short -- your question has been forwarded to Ed. He may answer within hours, you may be waiting for a few years... I've got unanswered questions going back at least 3 or 4 years, myself. I've gotten almost immediate answers, and I've gotten answers so much later that I'd forgotten I'd asked the question.

Heck, even being able to email him directly doesn't guarantee a swift answer to a lore question...

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2013 :  01:27:20  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Foxhelm

Are there such thing as Think Tanks (Groups of collective thinking on any topic/topics) or their equalivant in the Realms? What are they called? Could you give Examples?

Please and thank you?

Oooo! Cool question.

As an addendum to this, Ed, I'd also be curious to hear whether any of the Realms' more prominent personages, have ever been a part of these "think tanks?"

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 37 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000