Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Academies, colleges and libraries
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Solomon
Acolyte

New Zealand
23 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2012 :  23:31:27  Show Profile  Visit Solomon's Homepage Send Solomon a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
If I've posted this request in the wrong section I humbly ask that the moderators move it to the appropriate place.

I've been scouring through the Forgotten Realms sources (pre-4th edition) I have available looking for institutions of learning. Ideally and specifically, I'm looking for a library, college or academy that trains students in adventuring or adventuring-related fields; to give a non-literary example, like the Neverwinter Academy from the Neverwinter Nights series of games.

Failing that, I'm just looking for non-adventuring specific libraries, colleges, academies and other places of learning.

If you know of any, please set me in the right direction. I'll start by of course, mentioning Candlekeep itself, though it comes under the second category.

Any help is greatly appreciated - my thanks in advance.

Mapolq
Senior Scribe

Brazil
466 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2012 :  23:51:49  Show Profile Send Mapolq a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not aware of any adventurer's academy in the Realms, but as for your second category, I can mention two off the top of my head.

New Olamn: a bardic college sitting on the Cliffride in Waterdeep.

Academia Vilhonus: an ancient (founded 300 DR) bardic college in Arrabar turned into a general center of scholarly pursuits, much as Candlekeep, but more cloistered and run-down.

Never sleep under the jackfruit tree.

Tales of Moonsea - A Neverwinter Nights 2 Persistent World. Check out our website at http://www.talesofmoonsea.com and our video trailer at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=am304WqOAAo&feature=youtu.be, as well as our thread here at Candlekeep: http://www.forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12955

My campaign thread: http://www.forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16447
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2012 :  01:39:23  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We have several scrolls compiling lists on such topics already, Solomon.

I search you perform a search of Candlekeep's archives for those scrolls directly related to your queries.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Solomon
Acolyte

New Zealand
23 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2012 :  01:41:50  Show Profile  Visit Solomon's Homepage Send Solomon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mapolq

I'm not aware of any adventurer's academy in the Realms, but as for your second category, I can mention two off the top of my head.

New Olamn: a bardic college sitting on the Cliffride in Waterdeep.

Academia Vilhonus: an ancient (founded 300 DR) bardic college in Arrabar turned into a general center of scholarly pursuits, much as Candlekeep, but more cloistered and run-down.

Thank you for your input - I checked out your suggestions. I feel I should also add I'm interested in wizardry schools/guilds/training institutes too; basically any institution or place of learning that trains people in adventuring-related fields.

I have had no luck with the first category of adventurer's academy-type institutions either.

In the second category, I have found:
Eltorchul Academy
Utrumm's Music Conservatory
The Lady's College (Silverymoon)
Blackstaff Tower
Enclave of Red Magic
Watchful Order of Magists & Protectors

I apologize for not conducting a more exhaustive search of Candlekeep's archive, I will take another, harder look.

Edited by - Solomon on 30 Oct 2012 01:44:19
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2012 :  03:21:14  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's the Society of Stalwart Adventurers based in Suzail, a Jim Lowder creation I think, but more often what Faerün has is, for instance, either inns or private retreats and the like founded by retired adventurers to openly or secretly support old and new friends, or secret societies with specific ends that happen to involve a lot of adventuring. Adventuring is just too chaotic to suffer too much formalization, and there aren't many parts of Faerün where a place devoted to training troublemakers would be well looked on by the authorities.
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2012 :  09:48:37  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Silverymoon also has (had?) Arken's Invocatorium and Miresk's School of Thaumaturgy, as academies of magic, and Foclucan, a bardic college. And there is - or was - The Game of Masks, a game administered by the young priests of Tymora and Tempus that in a way provides training (mostly in investigation skills) for adventures in Raven's Bluff.

EDIT: Almost forgot to cite the Vault of the Sages, the impressive library of Silverymoon.

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)

Edited by - Barastir on 30 Oct 2012 09:55:02
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: