Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Favorite Realms Product
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2012 :  17:57:22  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hello scribes! What are your top 3 favorite Forgotten Realms products of all time? This can include: novels, game supplements, video/pc games, etc.

Mine would have to be the Forgotten Realms Atlas (Fonstead), the Forgotten Realms "Adventures" game supplement, and of course the Old Gray Box.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2012 :  17:59:53  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We've done threads like this before, but I suppose there's no hard in repeats.

Mine are probably Sea of Fallen Stars, Cloak and Dagger, and Dwarves Deep. But there are several others that are close. Novel-wise it's a toss-up between Shadows of the Avatar and Elaine's Halruaa trilogy.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Marc
Senior Scribe

657 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2012 :  20:13:32  Show Profile Send Marc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Waterdeep boxed set
Cloak and Dagger
Icewind Dale - pc game

First two because they have enough details

Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4430 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2012 :  20:30:46  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, this is a hard one. But I'll be a little creative;

1st: Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting (3E game supplement)
2nd: Neverwinter Nights (video game)
3rd: Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide (4E game supplement)
Go to Top of Page

Thieran
Learned Scribe

Germany
293 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2012 :  21:15:45  Show Profile Send Thieran a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Difficult, but here are some favourites of mine:

Faiths & Avatars (among sourcebooks)
Streams of Silver (among novels)
Neverwinter Nights II: Mask of the Betrayer (among computer games)
Go to Top of Page

idilippy
Senior Scribe

USA
417 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2012 :  21:36:15  Show Profile Send idilippy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very, very hard to come up with just three. I am sure these will change, but at the moment I think my three are:
Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn probably still my favorite video game of all time.
Faiths and Avatars The best deity related book in my opinion
Lost Empires of Faerun or Power of Faerun Both are my favorite 3e era books, it's hard to choose between them fo rme

Honorable mentions to the Old Grey Box and the Ruins of Myth Drannor boxed set, both of which I really like.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2012 :  21:43:54  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would say my top three are Volo's Guide to Waterdeep, Volo's Guide to All Things Magical, and Cloak & Dagger.

Forgotten Realms Adventures was another fave, as well as FR4 The Magister, and the City of Splendors boxed set.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2012 :  22:04:02  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OGB, Pages from the Mages, and Prayers of the Faithful.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2012 :  23:58:56  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For me it will most always be:

Old Grey Box

A Grand History of the Realms

Tie between Volo's Guide to Cormyr and Volo's Guide to the Dalelands

Honorable mention should go to:

Other Volo's Books

Forgotten Realms Adventures Hardback

Elminster's Forgotten Realms

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2012 :  03:05:31  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
First and foremost, my primary picks are all tied -- Sea of Fallen Stars, Dwarves Deep, Code of the Harpers, and Drow of the Underdark -- remain my all-time favourite Realms products.

Very close runners up would be Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast, Cloak & Dagger, Lost Empires of Faerūn, Serpent Kingdoms, and The Seven Sisters.

I've also always had soft spots in my heart for Demihuman Deities and Powers & Pantheons.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Shere Khan
Acolyte

36 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2012 :  04:37:30  Show Profile  Visit Shere Khan's Homepage Send Shere Khan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
1) Menzoberranzan Boxed Set
2) Neverwinter Nights Video Game
3) H1-4 Bloodstone Module Series (tie)
3) Netheril: Empire of Magic (tie)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2012 :  15:16:33  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm now adding Elminster's Forgotten Realms to my list.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1267 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2012 :  16:38:47  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pool of Radiance Commodore 64 game (introduced me to the Forgotten Realms, the Moonsea/Dales is still my favorite area)
Forgotten Realms Adventures (this book stirred my imagination more than any other D&D sourcebook aside from the original Monster Manuals)
The Wyvern's Spur - my favorite novel set in the Forgotten Realms

Those are top 3, but all the Volo's Guides, the Baldur's Gate computer games, Old Grey Box set, Servant of the Shard novel, The Fallen Fortress novel and (Curse of the) Azure Bonds novel/game come very close next...
Go to Top of Page

vorpalanvil
Seeker

USA
90 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2012 :  12:17:43  Show Profile Send vorpalanvil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
1. Volo's Guide to the North. I ran my first 3rd ed campaign several years ago using this and a players guide, and to this day I can still pick it up and read at any place in it and learn/remember something useful, funny or interesting.
2. Forgotten Realms Adventures hardback. They just don't make em like they used to. One of my first realms purchases and it really opened my eyes to what a busy and dynamic world Toril is. I really wish Sembia had been better fleshed out in later official products.
3. Three-way tie between Secrets of the Magister, Cult of the Dragon, The Seven Sisters. I have found myself continually referring back to these books for reference points time and time again for a host of reasons. To me these are the halcyon days of both dnd and more importantly, the Realms.
Honourable Mention: The trilogy of religion books from 2ed are a constant source of knowledge in every aspect of everyone's life in Toril no matter their station. As a former anthropology major, religion is highly overlooked in the ways in which we do or do not understand other cultures in any time or place. Love 'em.

"I'm a busy man! I got places to go, monsters to kill!" attributed to 1st level bard
Go to Top of Page

Xnella Moonblade-Thann
Learned Scribe

USA
234 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2012 :  11:41:55  Show Profile Send Xnella Moonblade-Thann a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe this list of mine has changed from the last time I put one like it up. Here goes...

1. Songs and Swords (novels)- My introduction to the Realms was Elfshadow and Elf Song, both by Elaine Cunningham. These books (the entire series) are near and dear to me and have been reread many times. Still waiting on the next one to be published.

2. 'Tis a tie, I'm afraid :
A Grand History of the Realms (game supplement?) - Since it seems to have originated from a scribe(s) here at the 'Keep, and Wizards picked it up and polished it for us to have, this rates pretty high on my list.
City of Splendors: Waterdeep (3.x) - For the first city I was introduced to in the Realms, and where I tend to stay from time to time. You never know what's down the next alley or in the next structure...

3. Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance games for Xbox/Playstation - because I can't always play D&D with live people, and going solo is just as satisfying.

An Honorable Mention goes to Elminster's Forgotten Realms for giving me lots of fluff and plot ideas to play around with, plus for the awesome notes from Mr. Ed Greenwood himself. Now if only there were a few more volumes...

"Sweet water and light laughter until next we meet." - traditional elven farewell

Please forgive any spelling and grammer errors, as my android touch-screen phone has no spellchecker. If I do make a grammer mistake, please let me know and I'll try to fix it.

New laptop, still trying to sort my "scrolls" on its shelves...and when will this cursed thing stop doing things I tell it not to?

Edited by - Xnella Moonblade-Thann on 30 Nov 2012 11:47:54
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2012 :  17:55:31  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm this is difficult but I would have to say the Baldurs Gate Dark Alliance games for the PS2.
Followed by the Twilight war trilogy by Paul S Kemp( Cale rocks) and then the Haunted Lands trilogy by Richard Lee Byres.
Go to Top of Page

Shottglazz
Acolyte

Canada
49 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2012 :  14:25:04  Show Profile Send Shottglazz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
1. Ruins of Undermountain - read (and used) my original copy to pieces, the campaign guide is still good reading.
2. Faiths and Avatars - to me, this is what a well-written sourcebook should be.
3. Seige of Darkness - was getting tired of the Drizzt vs Entreri saga - this one drew me back in.

Shottglazz

"Take my love, Take my land, Take me where I cannot stand;
I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me."
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2012 :  18:09:15  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Crystal Shard
Menzo [Boxed Set]
Fonstad's The Forgotten Realms Atlas

I'm really digging the Neverwinter Campaign Setting, too, but it's too new to feel nostalgia for it yet, and I haven't gone through it often enough yet to feel as intimately familiar with it as I am with those older works.

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

Caladan Brood
Senior Scribe

Norway
410 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2013 :  08:14:31  Show Profile  Visit Caladan Brood's Homepage Send Caladan Brood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Computer Games:
Baldur's Gate, Eye of the Beholder II: Legend of Darkmoon, Neverwinter Nights

RPG Products:
City of Splendors, Spellbound, The Moonsea
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2013 :  14:31:50  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welsome to Candlekeep Caladan Brood! *please be careful where you swing that wicked hammer of yours

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2013 :  10:04:27  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You have become a real Malazan fan nowadays Entreri.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2013 :  14:14:01  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thauranil

You have become a real Malazan fan nowadays Entreri.

Oh without a doubt! There are definitely a few things about the Malazan books that bother me, but as a whole I think the series is fantastic. It's safe to say that I will be reading anything published about Malaz or any fantasy that Erikson writes.

Go to Top of Page

Caladan Brood
Senior Scribe

Norway
410 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2013 :  18:06:31  Show Profile  Visit Caladan Brood's Homepage Send Caladan Brood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the welcome, Entreri. Yes, the Malazan cycle is The Awesome isn't it. And Caladan Brood isn't even near being a favorite character. His hammer though... :D
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2013 :  19:58:08  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Caladan Brood

Thanks for the welcome, Entreri. Yes, the Malazan cycle is The Awesome isn't it. And Caladan Brood isn't even near being a favorite character. His hammer though... :D

Caladan Brood and his hammer are pretty awesome, but he hasn't gotten enough page time to be a favorite character of mine. Same for Rake. I am 1000 pages into Dust of Dreams now and have only read the first book of Esslemont's Malazan books though, so maybe I will get to see more of them there.

Go to Top of Page

Caladan Brood
Senior Scribe

Norway
410 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2013 :  21:46:56  Show Profile  Visit Caladan Brood's Homepage Send Caladan Brood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I won't spoil that for you :) I started out with Gardens... in 2010 and have been in the Malazan world all the way up until last month when I finished Blood & Bone. That's a lot of stuff - eleven Erikson novels, five Esslemont and five or so novellas. First thing I did was start a reread ^^ And I can promise you one thing...the second time around is just SO much better! (Gardens and Deadhouse so far), best value ever. :)
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2013 :  23:26:59  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Caladan Brood

Well, I won't spoil that for you :) I started out with Gardens... in 2010 and have been in the Malazan world all the way up until last month when I finished Blood & Bone. That's a lot of stuff - eleven Erikson novels, five Esslemont and five or so novellas. First thing I did was start a reread ^^ And I can promise you one thing...the second time around is just SO much better! (Gardens and Deadhouse so far), best value ever. :)

I can definitely see how the series would be much better the second time around, and I'm sure I will do that someday but I have some other large series to tackle in the meantime...Wheel of Time.

Go to Top of Page

Caladan Brood
Senior Scribe

Norway
410 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2013 :  07:31:40  Show Profile  Visit Caladan Brood's Homepage Send Caladan Brood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now that's a series I gave up on - too slow for my tastes :) Anyway, I won't derail the thread further with my Malazan fetishism. I can say that my list of favorite RPG products *may* change as I've ordered a small pile of out-of-print 2nd Edition material that I am looking forward to receive in the mail:

'Lords of Darkness', 'The Magister', 'Moonshae', 'Elves of Evermeet', 'Pages from the Mages', 'Shadowdale' (the module), 'Hall of Heroes', 'Marco Volo Arrival', 'Heroes' Lorebook', 'Drow of the Underdark', 'Old Empires' and 'Giantcraft'. Yay!
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2013 :  14:38:12  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I always thought the 2E stuff was the best. I loved the lore, the layout, and especially the art involved.

Go to Top of Page

Caladan Brood
Senior Scribe

Norway
410 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2013 :  10:19:23  Show Profile  Visit Caladan Brood's Homepage Send Caladan Brood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I got a package with 'Lords of Darkness', 'The Magister', 'Moonshae' and 'Elves of Evermeet' last Friday, been leafing through them and started reading "Elves..." last night in earnest (and also reading the new Elminster's Realms book). I loved trying to imagine Queen Amruil's city on Evermeet, but it was *hard* to picture what they try to convey. The closest I came to visualizing the city (Leuthilspar) was some of the structures seen in the Blood Elf zone in World of Warcraft. Is that far off?
Go to Top of Page

Jergals Spare Scythe
Acolyte

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2013 :  02:51:44  Show Profile Send Jergals Spare Scythe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Entreri3478

I always thought the 2E stuff was the best. I loved the lore, the layout, and especially the art involved.

I heartily agree, 2E still feels so much more epic to me than later editions. The art still looks good to me all these years later. Slipping into a 2E game for me is like a pair of old slippers -- comfortable and easy to get into.

My faves would have to be The Old Grey Box, The Ruins of Myth Drannor and all the Undermountain stuff.

"Seek to bring order to the chaos of life, for in death there is finality and a fixedness of state. Be ready for death for it is at hand and uncompromising."

Excerpt from Jergal's Dogma, Faiths and Pantheons, page 99
Go to Top of Page

NetDiver
Acolyte

Finland
11 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2013 :  18:21:24  Show Profile  Visit NetDiver's Homepage Send NetDiver a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I've only dipped my hands in the Forgotten Realms lore only with 3rd edition books, so I'm going to say the Underdark for 3rd edition in the first place. In my mind the most interesting piece of Forgotten Realms. So vast and rich spinner of adventure ideas that you could easily run entire campaigns down there.

At second place, Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting also for 3rd edition. Very comprehensive and one of the best "setting guides" I read. Full of information and gives you tons of ideas.

For the third place, I would say Lost Empires of Faerūn even if I haven't read it fully. For the feel of history it evokes.

I did play and DM AD&D 2nd edition but never got around to actually play or get anything from Forgotten Realms. The setting didn't interest me at the time, mostly because I was quite young. Bashing orcs, goblins, kobolts and looting their stuff was enough for me at the time Luckily older Realms material is coming more readily available through digital downloads

Edited by - NetDiver on 18 Mar 2013 19:01:22
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000