Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Do we need a god/dess of magic?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2012 :  08:09:00  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Let Mystra stay dead, and feed Shar to Asmodeus' dogs. The Weave and the Shadow Weave can work just fine without them.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Sightless
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2013 :  02:17:11  Show Profile Send Sightless a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For those of you that are waiting on my Thayan stuff, I appreciate your patients, I’m still working on it. Life just threw me another kinda of bad curve ball and it took me a bit to deal with it. With that said, I wish to pose something that’s been nagging me for a while, something that doesn’t quite make sense. Why didn’t Thoth take over as the God of magic when Midnight died? In fact, why didn’t Ao give him the position in the first place after the Time of troubles? Because of the empires of the east, he’s an established God, so yeah, not understanding things here.

We choose to live a lie, when we see with, & not through the eye.

Every decision, no matter the evidence, is a leap of faith; if it were not, then it wouldn't be a choice at all.
Go to Top of Page

MrHedgehog
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2013 :  04:11:14  Show Profile  Visit MrHedgehog's Homepage Send MrHedgehog a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why would Thoth in particular take over magic when there were other deities of magic other than him?
Go to Top of Page

Lilianviaten
Senior Scribe

489 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2013 :  04:35:43  Show Profile Send Lilianviaten a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

Let Mystra stay dead, and feed Shar to Asmodeus' dogs. The Weave and the Shadow Weave can work just fine without them.

Never fear. Based on my interpretation of the Twilight War trilogy, I think Mask is going to return and knock Shar off her high horse in The Godborn. Of course, I can't say that with certainty, but I would bet money on it.
Go to Top of Page

Lilianviaten
Senior Scribe

489 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2013 :  04:45:51  Show Profile Send Lilianviaten a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As for Mystra, I think 4e dropped the ball with this one. How do they justify needing her back when Toril has had 100 years to adapt to spellcasting after the collapse of the Weave?
Go to Top of Page

Arcanus
Senior Scribe

485 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2013 :  10:20:55  Show Profile  Visit Arcanus's Homepage Send Arcanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lilianviaten

As for Mystra, I think 4e dropped the ball with this one. How do they justify needing her back when Toril has had 100 years to adapt to spellcasting after the collapse of the Weave?

Because she is popular and a hell of a lot of people miss the weave magic.
Go to Top of Page

Sightless
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2013 :  11:51:36  Show Profile Send Sightless a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MrHedgehog

Why would Thoth in particular take over magic when there were other deities of magic other than him?

Your parden, I don’t know about all the Gods/Goddess in the FR universe. I’ve not read through Faiths and Pantheons yet, and I don’t deny that another individual could have served the same function, so the question in a general sense still stands, why didn’t God X be given the job? And to whom do you think should have given the position?

Every decision, no matter the evidence, is a leap of faith; if it were not, then it wouldn't be a choice at all.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2013 :  12:08:11  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arcanus

quote:

I think it has less to do with the Weave and more to do with people perceiving her as a part of the setting, and in particular a part of the setting that was removed in a manner many find objectionable.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2013 :  12:13:23  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sightless

quote:

Your parden, I don’t know about all the Gods/Goddess in the FR universe. I’ve not read through Faiths and Pantheons yet, and I don’t deny that another individual could have served the same function, so the question in a general sense still stands, why didn’t God X be given the job? And to whom do you think should have given the position?

In-setting, a factor would be that Thoth is not a Faerûnian deity, and Ao doesn't let deities bounce from pantheon to pantheon. Also, though it was never explained, we were told that Shar somehow blocked the ascension of a new deity of magic. How she did something that only Ao could do was never explained; so far as I know, they never even referenced the fact that she couldn't do that.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2013 :  14:01:29  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

quote:

In-setting, a factor would be that Thoth is not a Faerûnian deity, and Ao doesn't let deities bounce from pantheon to pantheon. Also, though it was never explained, we were told that Shar somehow blocked the ascension of a new deity of magic. How she did something that only Ao could do was never explained; so far as I know, they never even referenced the fact that she couldn't do that.

I asked the same basic Thoth question years ago, and you always get different answers. The idea came around again with Cyric being denied magic. The same thing came up when something happened to Kelemvor and suddenly noone was dying in the realms? There were other deities of the dead in the world, some even in Faerun just in racial pantheons. This is one reason why I'm thinking the idea of all deities coming back could be a good thing. No more absolute power like that. It would be different in a smaller world like Dragonlance with a set Pantheon for everyone. But larger worlds with racial pantheons, regional pantheons, and thereby a lot more plots going on just don't fit that shoehorn model.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2013 :  14:01:37  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

I think it has less to do with the Weave and more to do with people perceiving her as a part of the setting, and in particular a part of the setting that was removed in a manner many find objectionable.
Killing Mystra is like killing Drizzt. It will never be a permanent death.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Arcanus
Senior Scribe

485 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2013 :  14:27:32  Show Profile  Visit Arcanus's Homepage Send Arcanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

They go hand in hand.
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2013 :  16:19:29  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

quote:

quote:

quote:

Killing Mystra is like killing Drizzt. It will never be a permanent death.

No, but a man can dream.

A man can dream.

"Then I saw there was a way to Hell even from the gates of Heaven"
- John Bunyan, Pilgrim's Progress

Fatum Iustum Stultorum. Righteous is the destiny of fools.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
http://theroleplayersgazebo.yuku.com/directory#.Ub4hvvlJOAY
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2013 :  16:50:05  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

They go hand in hand.

Mystra is the Weave, yes -- but people wanting Mystra back isn't because they love the Weave. It's because they like Mystra as the deity of magic.

Go to Top of Page

Arcanus
Senior Scribe

485 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2013 :  21:50:58  Show Profile  Visit Arcanus's Homepage Send Arcanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

They go hand in hand.

Mystra is the Weave, yes -- but people wanting Mystra back isn't because they love the Weave. It's because they like Mystra as the deity of magic.

People do love the weave and all that it brings to the realms.

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2013 :  23:58:43  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
for me it's as simple as it's not the realms without Mystra....i feel she is integral to the setting.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2013 :  14:06:53  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

for me it's as simple as it's not the realms without Mystra....i feel she is integral to the setting.

And for me, Mystra represents everything that is wrong with the realms.

I suppose there really isn't a middle ground on this one.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2013 :  15:33:25  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Asmodeus

quote:

I would say if your ready to take a positon of your stay in touch with the realms if there is no Mystra vs. I'm outta here if she is back.....then no there is no middle ground.

But if you avoid novels that feature her and excise her(or diminsh, change ..whatever works for you) from "your realms"...there is limitless space in the middle.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2013 :  20:20:00  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Asmodeus

quote:

I would say if your ready to take a positon of your stay in touch with the realms if there is no Mystra vs. I'm outta here if she is back.....then no there is no middle ground.

But if you avoid novels that feature her and excise her(or diminsh, change ..whatever works for you) from "your realms"...there is limitless space in the middle.

Then no, there really isn't a middle ground.

Because I don't feel that I should be the one to excise her from "my realms" any more than you feel you should be the one to add her to "your realms".

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
Go to Top of Page

Sightless
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2013 :  21:42:09  Show Profile Send Sightless a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Given that statement, giant space hamster, perhaps Ao didn’t want a Goddess of magic, perhaps he saw something for the weave, which was being prevented by Midnight, something that may, or may not have happened yet. Perhaps Midnight was disrupting the balance too much and Ao simply allowed everything to happen in order to correct that balance.

Now, regarding middle ground, the most compromising view I can come up with is having Midnight’s vestige become part of the weave, and then the weave can become a semi-sentient force of nature. This is the view I’ve preferred since hearing of the time of troubles and the first death of mystra. It’s a view I shall always prefer. I don’t personally see her as necessary for the setting, although I wont deny her popularity. That in itself isn’t enough to bring her back to me. Helm was vary popular for a while, and with the exception of What Errik is doing, Helm is dead as can be.

(By the way, recently read Downshadow and loved it).

Do I think that constently killing Mystra’s is a sign of poor imagination, yes, the first two, I could understand, and made sense, this last one didn’t. Helms death didn’t make sense to me either, nor has several other Gods/goddesses that they’ve killed along the way. Simply bringing them back, to me, will only exasterbate, not fix the problem. The Realms has, and should remain, an evolving place. How individuals react to that, how they grow with the realms, is what makes them heroic characters. I’m sorry Ed if this comes across as crass, or uncouth, and while I understand to some degree why you are doing it, I hope in a way that Elmenster doesn’t succeed in bringing Mystra back. For one, I would find seeing how Elmenster deals with the loss of Midnight, and how he goes on with his life, as a far more compelling story than the return of Mystra. If changes in the system need to be made, then one could easily say that the alteration is some new dynamic within the weave itself, or in Ao’s handling of the weave, or something like that. Finally, and even though this might come across as heartless, although that’s not my intent, I look forward to the day when there isn’t a Drizzt, or an Elmenster, and both writers have turned a new page and brought into being new characters, who I have no doubt they will create quite well, in the Forgotten Realms. It is my dearest hope that I have expressed myself, or how I perceive the realms, and how I hope the realms to be, others might not appreciate this perception, and I understand, and ho0pefully folks will read this and perceive the spirit in which it was intended. Thanks for your time, that is all.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2013 :  21:58:43  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Given that statement, giant space hamster, perhaps Ao didn’t want a Goddess of magic, perhaps he saw something for the weave, which was being prevented by Midnight, something that may, or may not have happened yet. Perhaps Midnight was disrupting the balance too much and Ao simply allowed everything to happen in order to correct that balance.

If it had been stated that Ao blocked the ascension of a new goddess of magic, that would have been an entirely different issue. But that is not what's stated -- we were explicitly told that Shar was the one who blocked it. Since Ao is the only one with that ability, this does not make sense.

And honestly, if Midnight was a problem, Ao should have let her die and then promoted a new Mystra.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 27 Mar 2013 22:24:08
Go to Top of Page

Sightless
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2013 :  00:28:01  Show Profile Send Sightless a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All valid points, and I thought of some of them as I was writing my post.

I guess I'm just trying to rationalize something, that just doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000