Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Dragons need str for their flight?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jakuta Khan
Senior Scribe

496 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2012 :  10:14:12  Show Profile Send Jakuta Khan a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
A question in my mind for long time.

When a dragon loses, with poison or spell, or other source a lot of str is he then still able to fly??

Or is the dragons flxing ability anyway sourced by magic alone?

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2012 :  12:31:29  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would say the any dragon require only 1 STR to fly at full speed. The wings for creatures this size make no sense no begin with, so I don't think their wing muscles make that much of a difference.

Edited by - Kilvan on 26 Sep 2012 15:20:38
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2012 :  12:47:13  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think we can look at this issue from a biological standpoint because (as noted above) an animal that size would never be able to fly with wings like that. There is a reason we don't see giant flying animals on our own planet. The largest flying dinosaurs were small compared to dragons and they were clumsy gliders at best.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2012 :  14:36:52  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dragon flying is like merFolk swimming, an innate ability. Stat needs to be 0 in order not to do something is my opinion.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Jakuta Khan
Senior Scribe

496 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2012 :  15:08:20  Show Profile Send Jakuta Khan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
sounds plausible, some dragons have really tiny wings indeed.

thx guys
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2012 :  23:07:19  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The great book of dragons, the Draconomicon, mentions that a set of 4 hyperstrong muscles control the wingmotion of a dragon. They're located at the base of the neck and wings, the shoulders and the chest of the beast. And yes, the power of these muscles, a dragons relative light weight, and their wingspan allow dragons their flight (no supernatural things involved except for the dragons supercharged metabolism).

They do need proper speed to take flight (i.e. a grounded red dragon that takes off needs at least 40ft or 8 squares of movement in the air to avoid falling to the ground). Hampering a dragons fly speed somehow is the most effective means of preventing its flight. Everything that halves its movement is a good first step. Could be done thorugh exhaustion, entanglement, being slowed or being blinded. Apply two of those conditions on a dragon and it cant fly :)

Giving direct movement penalties is more tricky... I need to think on how that can be accomplished. Special huge sized adamantine caltrops?

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2012 :  15:58:40  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Even if STR/muscles are required for a proper dragon flight, I wouldn't recommend any DM to consider STR loss for flight speed. They do need their wings to flap in order to fly, so a wing clip or a severe wing injury would prevent or hinder it.

Note that a Dracolich's flight becomes supernatural upon transformation, so it is clear that it wasn't before (look under Dracolich entry in the Draconomicon 3.X, under speed).

Seriously, just the idea of managing STR loss into a speed loss is making my nose bleed
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2012 :  00:32:41  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not biologically sound? Not so fast- bumblebees should not realistically be able to fly either- yet tehy can and do. Also, I will add that the largest flying dinosaurs (not actually dinosaurs, but pterosaurs, which are a seperate branch) were the size of a small single-prop plane! The largest one found to date measured over 40 feet, so theoretically, yes, a dragon COULD fly.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2012 :  02:23:46  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

Not biologically sound? Not so fast- bumblebees should not realistically be able to fly either- yet tehy can and do. Also, I will add that the largest flying dinosaurs (not actually dinosaurs, but pterosaurs, which are a seperate branch) were the size of a small single-prop plane! The largest one found to date measured over 40 feet, so theoretically, yes, a dragon COULD fly.

Myth, a graduate student made the statement about bees, however messed up the math, missed one component of wing structure.that can fly, dragons are magical in nature to start with.Something like biologically sound in many ways should not be a controlling factor, something of maybe 25 percent in stead.

Setting aside bees

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2012 :  20:52:12  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

Not biologically sound? Not so fast- bumblebees should not realistically be able to fly either- yet tehy can and do.

Bumblebee flight has since been explained. It did appear, at one point, that their flight was not mechanically feasible -- but that was because of an imperfect understanding of what all goes on when bumblebees fly. This has since been re-examined and explained.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 30 Sep 2012 20:52:57
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2012 :  02:51:30  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why are people trying to argue that a bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly? I hope it's not because a bumble bee's wings are not gigantic in proportion to it's body. Everything insects do is MUCH more efficient because of their small size. Larger animals can't even come close to the same type of efficiency. Just look at what an ant can lift for a great example.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede

Edited by - Artemas Entreri on 01 Oct 2012 02:51:47
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000