Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 choosing feats
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bayne
Seeker

USA
86 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2004 :  02:32:00  Show Profile  Visit Bayne's Homepage Send Bayne a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I'd like help on choosing my next feat... so far I have dodge, improved trip, improved grapple, urth's embrace, and im gonna choose one handed choke...what should i choose after that? (Btw it's a monk)

Nindyn vel'uss kyorl nind ratha thalra elyhinn dal lil alust

Bayne
Seeker

USA
86 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2004 :  02:33:18  Show Profile  Visit Bayne's Homepage Send Bayne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was considering clever wrestling as well, and maybe breaker blow...what do you all think?

Go to Top of Page

Bayne
Seeker

USA
86 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2004 :  02:34:27  Show Profile  Visit Bayne's Homepage Send Bayne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also, you can post about feats you find interesting, and how to plan choosing feats, the strategies that go along with it, etc

Go to Top of Page

Belfar
Seeker

USA
86 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2004 :  02:35:28  Show Profile Send Belfar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well mobility is a good feat because it opens up other feats such as spring attack. I would probably need to know more about some of those feats. I don't think i've ever heard about urth's embrace or one handed choke. Elaboration please?
Go to Top of Page

Cherrn
Learned Scribe

Denmark
323 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2004 :  02:36:50  Show Profile Send Cherrn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, as for a monk I have been pondering the idea of taking power attack, eagleclaw (makes you able to sunder weps with your fists), sunder, improved sunder (double damage when sundering). I like the fact that you can roll 2d20 damage at higher lvls when checking if you can destroy another wep ;)

A wise man from Calimport once told me: "If a merchant puts sand in the flask of oil he's trying to sell you, then he isn't trying to sell you sand..."
Go to Top of Page

Bayne
Seeker

USA
86 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2004 :  02:54:10  Show Profile  Visit Bayne's Homepage Send Bayne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Belfar

Well mobility is a good feat because it opens up other feats such as spring attack. I would probably need to know more about some of those feats. I don't think i've ever heard about urth's embrace or one handed choke. Elaboration please?

Urth's embrace is an oriental adventure feat, i believe, and i wouldn't try spring attack, because i have the anti-feat for that (yes i was dumb enough to take anti-feats)...btw, on another subject, isn't it possible to multi-prestige class as long as one of them is not a guild?

Go to Top of Page

Tsynn the Sanguine
Acolyte

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2004 :  05:36:52  Show Profile  Visit Tsynn the Sanguine's Homepage Send Tsynn the Sanguine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Natha inlul 'bgualyizes abbil

It is actually called "Earth's Embrace" And it is first brought about in OA 3.0 I believe, in which the feat deals 2x open hand damage during a grapple, however in 3.5 complete warrior, it makes you deal an additional d10 of damage.

To my knowledge, the feat I suggested to you was "breaker blow", is an original feat designed on some D&D page or another...

Since we have set you on the grappling path, it would probably be best if you went towards "one-handed choke hold" as it allows you to pin someone and continue fighting others... and choke hold has the chance to make your unfortunate victim fall unconscious each round.

Should you take Power Attack, it will open up a few doors for you on other feats, not just the sunder line...

Power attack --> Sunder --> Fist of Iron --> Eagle Claw attack --> Empty hand mastery (Improved open hand damage)

Brain stopped thinking, so I'll have to get back to you

Dosst streea zhah khrusta, Usstan shlu'ta xun ol, xor dos shlu'ta dormagyn uns'aa l' degahr.
Go to Top of Page

Arteris
Learned Scribe

121 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2004 :  02:37:24  Show Profile  Visit Arteris's Homepage Send Arteris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is there a 3rd edition feat that allows a monk to sunder a weapon unarmed. I read about the one that could do that but I was unsure as to whether its 3rd edition or not.. If it is 3rd could you please tell me what book its in.. Thank you
Go to Top of Page

Bayne
Seeker

USA
86 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2004 :  11:04:07  Show Profile  Visit Bayne's Homepage Send Bayne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arteris

Is there a 3rd edition feat that allows a monk to sunder a weapon unarmed. I read about the one that could do that but I was unsure as to whether its 3rd edition or not.. If it is 3rd could you please tell me what book its in.. Thank you

I think what you are talking about is eagle claw attack, but I do not know what book it is in.

Edited by - Bayne on 16 Jan 2004 11:06:37
Go to Top of Page

Bayne
Seeker

USA
86 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2004 :  11:07:41  Show Profile  Visit Bayne's Homepage Send Bayne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm also interested in learning what you all have chosen for feats, both for current characters, and for past characters. Also, I'd like to hear the strategy behind choosing these feats, if you wouldn't mind.

Go to Top of Page

Cherrn
Learned Scribe

Denmark
323 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2004 :  15:23:18  Show Profile Send Cherrn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arteris

It's Eagle Claw and it is in the 3rd ed book Sword and Fist as far as I remember :)

A wise man from Calimport once told me: "If a merchant puts sand in the flask of oil he's trying to sell you, then he isn't trying to sell you sand..."
Go to Top of Page

RogueAssassin
Learned Scribe

USA
207 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2004 :  17:00:43  Show Profile  Visit RogueAssassin's Homepage Send RogueAssassin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Low blow...if a swift kick to the nuts wont stop someone
nothing will...

-Rogue

"Spirit. Its a Heros strength, a mothers resiliance, and the poor mans armor. It cannot be broken and it cannot be taken away. This i must belive"---Drizzt Do'Urden
Go to Top of Page

Bayne
Seeker

USA
86 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2004 :  20:02:19  Show Profile  Visit Bayne's Homepage Send Bayne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RogueAssassin

Low blow...if a swift kick to the nuts wont stop someone
nothing will...

-Rogue

what is the difference between "low blow" and "dirty fighting"?

Go to Top of Page

Belfar
Seeker

USA
86 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2004 :  01:11:13  Show Profile Send Belfar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't believe there is a difference. He just gave dirty fighting the wrong name on accident. I think.
Go to Top of Page

RogueAssassin
Learned Scribe

USA
207 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2004 :  03:09:54  Show Profile  Visit RogueAssassin's Homepage Send RogueAssassin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I mean what i say...if theres no low feat then there should be...

remember that one time that elf told that dwarf that he should shave and then he wound up in the tree with a crater where his man parts should be? wasnt that great? he didnt need em anyways always dancing and stuff...

-Rogue

"Spirit. Its a Heros strength, a mothers resiliance, and the poor mans armor. It cannot be broken and it cannot be taken away. This i must belive"---Drizzt Do'Urden
Go to Top of Page

Bayne
Seeker

USA
86 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2004 :  03:25:54  Show Profile  Visit Bayne's Homepage Send Bayne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So what about the more experience scribes...do they have any suggestions as to what I should pick, or has Tsynn done well in the options he's set out for me?

Also, I'd like to know all of the feats you all have chosen, the reasoning behind it, and for what are you aiming.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2004 :  06:40:28  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bayne

btw, on another subject, isn't it possible to multi-prestige class as long as one of them is not a guild?

Well, I've never heard of any rule against such -- except for those mentioned in the class descriptions. I know there's one in Sword and Fist that requires the character to take all ten levels before taking any levels in a different class. But that's an exception.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Bayne
Seeker

USA
86 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2004 :  12:44:35  Show Profile  Visit Bayne's Homepage Send Bayne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

quote:
Originally posted by Bayne

btw, on another subject, isn't it possible to multi-prestige class as long as one of them is not a guild?

Well, I've never heard of any rule against such -- except for those mentioned in the class descriptions. I know there's one in Sword and Fist that requires the character to take all ten levels before taking any levels in a different class. But that's an exception.

well, our DM is making that so for all prestige classes.
That doesn't seem to follow the rules, does it?

Go to Top of Page

Bayne
Seeker

USA
86 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2004 :  12:47:44  Show Profile  Visit Bayne's Homepage Send Bayne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And, Bookwyrm, may I be so bold as to ask what feats you have chosen in the past?

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2004 :  18:59:52  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You might. Up to you.

Actually, I've only done two characters. Well, three, but I abandoned that one -- and you wouldn't be interested in a Calim****e fire wizard.

(Okay, "person from Calimshan." Jeez. This forum has the dumbest anti-swearing subroutine I've ever seen. That's the only "swear word" it actually catches.)

Now, with Jack Archer, I gave him a bunch of defensive feats. It's all geared around how he's a fencer. Not much use to you. However, I could list them . . . or I could get Sage's final okay (hint) and be able to post his whole sheet over on the appropriate scroll.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2004 :  00:54:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On the feats...
Well, it depends upon the campaign and the character. You might be looking to qualify for a particular PrC. In a high roleplaying campaign, you might take feats to enhance your character's background. Or, in a hack-and-slash campaign, you might simply be looking to be more powerful. I take all of that and the character into account when choosing feats.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2004 :  07:13:33  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Now, with Jack Archer, I gave him a bunch of defensive feats. It's all geared around how he's a fencer. Not much use to you. However, I could list them . . . or I could get Sage's final okay (hint) and be able to post his whole sheet over on the appropriate scroll.
Go right ahead . Two other players have already posted their own PCs on the WotC forums (I'll repost them here when I get time), so I don't think there should be much of a problem. It will be interesting to read what those who view Jack Archer think...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Bayne
Seeker

USA
86 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2004 :  22:54:08  Show Profile  Visit Bayne's Homepage Send Bayne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

You might. Up to you.

Actually, I've only done two characters. Well, three, but I abandoned that one -- and you wouldn't be interested in a Calim****e fire wizard.

(Okay, "person from Calimshan." Jeez. This forum has the dumbest anti-swearing subroutine I've ever seen. That's the only "swear word" it actually catches.)

I'd like it if you would list his feats.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2004 :  07:56:58  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, if Sage is interested, I might work with him to make a Fencer core class, using the customization I made to Jack Archer's fighter levels and adding the bits from Sage's PrC . . . again, if he's interested. (Are you? If so, send me some ethereal mail or something.)

If that happens, the fighter feats will become class features. Either way, Jack's feats are as follows:

Dodge
Combat Expertise
Energy Substitution (electricity)
Eschew Materials
Imbue Weapon
Legendary Ability (INT)
Lunge
Mobility
Scribe Scroll
Sidestep
Single Weapon Style
Spellcasting Prodigy
University
Weapon Finesse
Weapon Focus (rapier)

Just in case you're thinking that's a lot for a level-nine character . . . you're right. Remember, five of those are traded from the Fighter's automatic feats.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2004 :  05:04:19  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually Bookwyrm I would be very interested to work on something like this with you. Just give me a few days to put the final touches on my Monk PrC that I have been trying to finish (and post here), and I'll be ready to assist.

How do you want to begin...?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2004 :  04:21:34  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hardly the scroll to talk about it at the moment, but I don't feel like penning a non sequitor on the New Classes scroll for just one post . . . .

What I propose is that I send you my proposed list of class features. They won't have any need, exactly, to have a set-in-stone level/feature relationship, except for a few features. You add to them as you wish (it's not a complete class list yet anyway).

I'm busy too, so it'll be a few days. I've got classes starting again next week, and I'm finishing some advance work (which should have been done already ) which is part of the reason why I've been so quiet lately.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000