Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 permanently enlarged human
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

xedrick
Seeker

82 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2012 :  23:05:56  Show Profile Send xedrick a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So, one of my players recently had Enlarge person and Permanency cast on him, upping his size category to large. I don't think he considered the ramifications of doing this beforehand, so now I have to deal with it, lol.

They entered Waterdeep for the first time last weekend. They smooth talked and fed the guards at the south gate station, so they were able to pass into the city easy enough.
The thing is, I don't imagine that any of the inns in the city are built to accomodate giants. I've recommended to him renting a small warehouse/shed in the southern or dock wards to sleep in, but he's worried about being too far separated from his party members. As of now, the party wizard is casting Rope Trick for him every night, and he's resting in there with a Personal Oasis (Magic item compendium).

It just seems rather easy to me, to be able to cast rope trick and have an instant inn, big enough for "six creatures of an size", if i remember correctly. The wizard is high enough level to have rope trick last plenty of time for him to rest in it, and they're basically casting it in the street next to the inn.

What are your views on this situation? He's already got an item that will reduce his size several times daily, but it doesnt last long enough for him to get any real rest. I can't find anything anywhere in the books that even implies that a Rope Trick can't be used as a resting area, it just seems too easy...

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11712 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2012 :  23:25:26  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hmmm, so someone passes by under the effects of an anti-magic shell (they're assassins who are about to raid the wizard's house down the street from the inn). The player in the rope trick not only finds themselves suddenly cast out of the rope trick, but also temporarily reduced in size. The assassin(s) assumes the guy teleported in to attack him/them and begin wailing on him. Absolutely believable.... simple misunderstanding caused by this character doing something odd.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2012 :  23:35:49  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
First off, let me say "sounds uncomfortable!"

Second, I imagine "giant" folk come through Waterdeep on a regular basis, and at least some inns will be able to accomodate them. He might have to pay more (like double, triple, or quadruple what everyone else does), depending on the quality of the inn in question. He might easily enough have a place to sleep in the stables (with the horses, who are also large-sized creatures)--this might be his only option outside of big cosmopolitan cities.

And while it's very fair to put some obstacles in his way, remember not to punish the player at every turn for this odd choice. It's a valid choice, and it should have some positive consequences, and some negative ones. Try to keep it balanced, and introduce strange things similar to what sleyvas suggested.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2012 :  23:44:34  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well anti- magic 1 foot per level, rope trick can be from 5 to 30 feet high so depends on level of spell and how much rope used.

I liked the simple idea better rent warehouse, barn, with one change. Party stay in same place over night, rooms could be made, however most adventurers are used to camping in the open.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11712 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2012 :  00:48:56  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

Well anti- magic 1 foot per level, rope trick can be from 5 to 30 feet high so depends on level of spell and how much rope used.

I liked the simple idea better rent warehouse, barn, with one change. Party stay in same place over night, rooms could be made, however most adventurers are used to camping in the open.

In 3rd edition, its a set 10 ft radius, but either way, it makes little difference. If the rope is 30 feet up in the air, then the assassins are climbing on the 2 story inn's roof to get to their quarry... and the person then falls 30 feet instead of 5 (taking falling damage possibly). Main thing is just that you allow the player this choice that they're already doing... don't limit them... then when something bad happens as a result of the choice they made, they can then understand what you were trying to tell them better.

Of course, it may then become that all the party decides to stay in a rope trick rather than rent an inn room. In which case, someone sees them go into the rope trick, notes how rich they are and decides to set an ambush for them. They put a darkness spell outside the rope trick during the night, then they put some kind of trap directly under (or around) the rope trick.... then they dispel it.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

xedrick
Seeker

82 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2012 :  01:07:38  Show Profile Send xedrick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sleyvas, great suggestions, thank you! I've been wracking my brain trying to think of ways to foil their little plan...After a few nights, of course. It's a good use of resources and I don't want to punish them for it, only make the story interesting. One of my fears, though, was that they'd all catch on and just crash in the rope trick. I don't want that to happen, and you've given me a way to handle it if it does, lol.

Erik, I definitely agree with you about not punishing the player. I don't want to make his life miserable over the choice at all. I see it as a challenge to me, as the DM, to bring that choice to life in terms of consequences, beneficial or otherwise. Do you really think it's that common to have giants pass through Waterdeep? I ask this because I was also kind of wondering how he would be received by the populace. If it's at least a fairly common occurrence, then there's no reason that there shouldn't be an inn large enough to accommodate.

Kentinal, I agree with you. But, this is the characters' first period of rest in our 11-lvl campaign, so they're really wanting to live it up. Unfortunately for them, they chose The Unicorn's Horn instead of the Jade Jug. Tsk, Tsk, guess there's always tomorrow night. However, they're in Waterdeep with the mission of purchasing real estate and founding an adventuring guild, so eventually they'll be doing something a little more reasonable as far as living arrangements go.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2012 :  04:05:58  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How big, exactly, is the character?

And keep in mind there is at least one giant known to be in the city -- Harshnag the frost giant, member of Force Grey/the Gray Hands. So having a giant in the city is not unprecedented.

One of my former characters was a minotaur who stands 7'3". He and his friends now own their own inn in Waterdeep.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2012 :  04:27:11  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wooly 3rd was indicated so likely this effect
"This spell causes instant growth of a humanoid creature, doubling its height and multiplying its weight by 8. This increase changes the creature’s size category to the next larger one. The target gains a +2 size bonus to Strength, a -2 size penalty to Dexterity (to a minimum of 1), and a -1 penalty on attack rolls and AC due to its increased size. "

Thus a human would be near 12 foot tall +/- maybe a foot.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

xedrick
Seeker

82 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2012 :  05:05:57  Show Profile Send xedrick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He stands 10'6. Yes, it's 3.5 ed, sorry for not specifying. :)
Wooly, would you give me some info on your characters' inn? Location, name, important staff?
I'm always looking for ways to fill in those empty buildings!
Go to Top of Page

combatmedic
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2012 :  05:33:28  Show Profile Send combatmedic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by xedrick

Wooly, would you give me some info on your characters' inn? Location, name, important staff?

Ten and a half feet=-- so he's taller than most ogres! Maybe not as bulky, though. Still, this is a BIG dude.

I agree with Erik and the other guys; think about things that could inconveience the PC but also consider how he might benefit.

He's going to be able to look over crowds pretty easily and reach onto low rootops, I'd think. That could be useful in a city.

YMMV= Your Mileage May Vary. I'm putting it here so I don't have to type it in every other post. :)
Go to Top of Page

combatmedic
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2012 :  05:34:27  Show Profile Send combatmedic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by combatmedic

quote:

Ten and a half feet=-- so he's taller than most ogres! Maybe not as bulky, though. Still, this is a BIG dude.

I agree with Erik and the other guys; think about things that could inconvenience the PC but also consider how he might benefit from his size boost.

He's going to be able to look over crowds pretty easily and reach onto low rootops, I'd think. That could be useful in a city.

YMMV= Your Mileage May Vary. I'm putting it here so I don't have to type it in every other post. :)
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6648 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2012 :  08:21:53  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think you need to get the city involved. Specifically the Watch and/or the Watchful Order of Magists. Very few things happen in Waterdeep without someone noticing, and I can't imagine that the city would be happy for an extra-dimensional space to be created nightly in one of their streets. Sure, tonight it's 'rope trick', maybe by the end of the week it will be 'Araglar's sky portal', and your front as "adventurers" will drop away to reveal that you are actually agents of the Eye in Undermountain, or the Shadowthieves, or the Arcane Brotherhood, and looking to magically ferry in monsters, thieves or even a whole army!!! Okay, hyperbole over, but you get my drift. No-one should be able to just cast spells in the street and not have the authorities 'take an interest' in them. And once they realise what your party is doing and why, then maybe Watch Captain Dornil Tharragar might tell them where a suitable 'big person' inn can be located and look out for the group going forward. Nice roleplaying opportunities there, I think.

Then of course, there is always the chance that Araglar "the Cloven" of Luskan, might just make that appearance, using your wizard's 'rope trick' as a vehicle for his own spell to cause mayhem and seek revenge against the Blackstaff for that slight to his person five Mage Fairs ago ...

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2012 :  11:33:35  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Still working all that out. I've got some of the staff named, but what I'm doing is coming up with both the staff and some of the regular clients. I don't have everyone named yet.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2012 :  19:27:05  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The last character I actually played was a firbolg, in my Bro-in-laws game. He never really penalized me (plus Firbolgs can change size a bit). Of course, a firbolg isn't anywhere near 10.5'!

In my HB world, I have a race called Vogalts, which average between 7.5-8.5' tall. One of the beneficial side-effects of having such a race be fairly common is that it means that Inns are setup to accommodate such individuals. I realize that isn't FR, but I would imagine a metropolitan city like Waterdeep would have plenty of accommodations for 'abnormal' folk as well (as Erik DeBie already pointed out).

A non-FR precedent would be the Ogier of WoT - some Inns do have rooms to accommodate the large folk (very rare, and unused for a LONG time, but they have them). Another would be Bree in Middle-Earth, which had services available for both Halflings and humans. I guess my point is, in a fantasy setting, even settlements that are primarily human are going to allow for extraordinary individuals.

In the RotAW series, you had a (12' tall) Stone Giant walking all around Arabel, including in-and-out of buildings. The author made a point of pointing-out that sometimes things were a bit 'cramped', but he managed well enough. I think Waterdeep is a helluva lot more Metropolitan then Arabel.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 12 Sep 2012 00:38:01
Go to Top of Page

xedrick
Seeker

82 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2012 :  22:37:13  Show Profile Send xedrick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you all for the suggestions, I've definitely got some ideas now.

Markustay: The examples are very, very helpful, as your responses always are. All "what-would-you-do" references aside, it's always good to have fantasy literary references. Any chance you could point me to some "quick and dirty" undermountain material? I've searched for lists of novels and I got Escape from Undermountain on my Kindle, but I'd really like to get some material that's halfway between a full-length novel and the barebones descriptions given in the sourcebooks. I need something for flavor, since my players are ALREADY asking the locals questions about and looking for maps of undermountain (those fools, as if such a map would even be reliable).

George: That's quality material there. Somewhere in the back of my mind, I KNEW that the city guard should have a problem with it on some level. I just couldn't piece together the reason. I'm googling the name you provided, Araglar the Cloven, and I can't find anything. I'm not familiar with this character, can you give me a reference? How would he use her spell against her?

Combatmedic: Yes, he IS a big dude, hahaha! I hadn't thought about him being able to see over rooftops, either. Again, great stuff.

Wooly: Keep me posted, like I said, there sure are a lot of empty buildings in Waterdeep, LOL.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2012 :  00:04:41  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Wooly: Keep me posted, like I said, there sure are a lot of empty buildings in Waterdeep, LOL.

I did once have the location picked out, but that was a while ago, and the idea has been thru a lot of itinerations since then. I'm not even sure I have the originally picked location noted, anymore. A lot of my older ideas were written down on paper, and not all of them made it to my computer -- and all of those old paper copies were destroyed in the fire.

Of late, I've been so focused on populating the place that I'd forgotten to designate a location for it!

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11712 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2012 :  00:52:58  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Sleyvas, great suggestions, thank you! I've been wracking my brain trying to think of ways to foil their little plan...After a few nights, of course. It's a good use of resources and I don't want to punish them for it, only make the story interesting. One of my fears, though, was that they'd all catch on and just crash in the rope trick. I don't want that to happen, and you've given me a way to handle it if it does, lol.

You ever need ideas on how to make your party rethink a decision, just give a yell. I'm a sneaky bastard who loves to use magic in unusual ways, and as a result, I often have to play devil's advocate with myself.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11712 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2012 :  01:05:34  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

I think you need to get the city involved. Specifically the Watch and/or the Watchful Order of Magists. Very few things happen in Waterdeep without someone noticing, and I can't imagine that the city would be happy for an extra-dimensional space to be created nightly in one of their streets. Sure, tonight it's 'rope trick', maybe by the end of the week it will be 'Araglar's sky portal', and your front as "adventurers" will drop away to reveal that you are actually agents of the Eye in Undermountain, or the Shadowthieves, or the Arcane Brotherhood, and looking to magically ferry in monsters, thieves or even a whole army!!! Okay, hyperbole over, but you get my drift. No-one should be able to just cast spells in the street and not have the authorities 'take an interest' in them. And once they realise what your party is doing and why, then maybe Watch Captain Dornil Tharragar might tell them where a suitable 'big person' inn can be located and look out for the group going forward. Nice roleplaying opportunities there, I think.

Then of course, there is always the chance that Araglar "the Cloven" of Luskan, might just make that appearance, using your wizard's 'rope trick' as a vehicle for his own spell to cause mayhem and seek revenge against the Blackstaff for that slight to his person five Mage Fairs ago ...

-- George Krashos

Actually, George has another good point here. Quite simply, if its in Waterdeep, then the guild of innkeepers (whatever its name is) probably would get pretty pissed when they hear about this. I can see one of them talking to their cousin who is a modestly skilled mage and talking the guy into just walking onto the street and dispelling their rope trick after about 2 hours into the night. Hell, this might be a common enough occurrence that the guild keeps a small patrol of wizards on the payroll just to prevent enterprising wizards from setting up their own "virtual inns" using rope trick throughout the city. Hell, the guild may even have paid for some magic items to be created that can dispel magic X times per day (or maybe that dispel extradimensional spaces X times per day) and they hire punk kids to go around and dispel rope tricks where they see them.

All of this, I see in a big city like Waterdeep. Now, out in the countryside... it would probably be more acceptable.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6648 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2012 :  01:18:38  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

George: That's quality material there. Somewhere in the back of my mind, I KNEW that the city guard should have a problem with it on some level. I just couldn't piece together the reason. I'm googling the name you provided, Araglar the Cloven, and I can't find anything. I'm not familiar with this character, can you give me a reference? How would he use her spell against her?

Oh, I just made him up. Sorry, I do that sometimes!

I was thinking that he has developed a spell whereby he can twist exra-dimensional spaces into portals for a very short time. He has to be present at the site of the extra-dimensional space, and the portal opens back to a focus object at some other location. This would definitely be a 9th level spell, and one that most mages would love to get their hands on.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2012 :  04:07:33  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The thread made me just think of something... but its so good I may just save it for something.

I had a question, but I decided its better suited to Ed's thread.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

xedrick
Seeker

82 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2012 :  08:12:29  Show Profile Send xedrick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had composed a full response to everything earlier today, but apparently I forgot to submit it.

In short, Great suggestions, thank you all. Feel free to keep them coming. And Sleyvas, expect PM's from me sometime, lol.

Markustay, can you direct me to ed's thread? I'm interested in what you got from this conversation.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2012 :  18:43:19  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Likely, stumbling across a giant in Waterdeep is not a COMMON occurrence, but neither is it rare or unheard of. He likely draws some attention (wanted or not), but I'm sure he wouldn't have trouble finding accommodations (subject to the caveats I listed). Waterdeep is the trade city of the North, and folk of all different sorts come through there all the time. Locals probably just shrug and go about their business, unconcerned. Visitors to the city (of which there are many) are unpredictable in their reactions, but probably the giant will get along the least well with fellow visitors who aren't used to seeing giants (or are from lands where giants are considered monsters/dangerous/etc).

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2012 :  20:17:13  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The idea I had was for an Inn 'that isn't really there', specifically to accommodate abnormals. Basically, an Inn with rooms that are actually dimensional pockets (which could even sustain unusual environments for unusual guests, such as a 'sea room' for merfolk and what-not).

I suppose this could be combined with wooly's Inn ideas.

quote:

Markustay, can you direct me to ed's thread? I'm interested in what you got from this conversation.
Ed's thread.

If you scroll down a bit you'll see the question I asked him.

Edited by - Markustay on 13 Sep 2012 20:17:31
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11712 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2012 :  04:03:05  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

-- George Krashos

Actually, George has another good point here. Quite simply, if its in Waterdeep, then the guild of innkeepers (whatever its name is) probably would get pretty pissed when they hear about this. I can see one of them talking to their cousin who is a modestly skilled mage and talking the guy into just walking onto the street and dispelling their rope trick after about 2 hours into the night. Hell, this might be a common enough occurrence that the guild keeps a small patrol of wizards on the payroll just to prevent enterprising wizards from setting up their own "virtual inns" using rope trick throughout the city. Hell, the guild may even have paid for some magic items to be created that can dispel magic X times per day (or maybe that dispel extradimensional spaces X times per day) and they hire punk kids to go around and dispel rope tricks where they see them.

All of this, I see in a big city like Waterdeep. Now, out in the countryside... it would probably be more acceptable.

With more time to think on this.... I bet there's plenty of noble families in Waterdeep who get a modest portion of their income from owning inns (or who may run "protection" rings for inns of some sort). Then there's the aforementioned folk who see people that do this as targets for robbery, or targets for impressment, or targets for slavery (mages probably sell for good money). I'd half wonder if young kids who see someone casting rope trick on the street know that they can go tell X person and he'll give them a bit of candy and a couple copper for telling them. Hell it might actually be a very dangerous practice.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

WalkerNinja
Senior Scribe

USA
575 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2012 :  04:54:22  Show Profile Send WalkerNinja a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Y'know, I was thinking that clothing could be an issue. Seems like most of his clothing would have to be custom made, and thus be sort of expensive.

Moreover, I would think that Waterdeep's tailors would leap at the idea of dressing a 'civilized' giant. He's going to draw attention anyways, and if he's wearing something remarkable, people will want to know who he's wearing.

I don't know how much camp you like in your game, but I could a Zoolander-ish fashion-murder-mystery evolving out of this.

*** A Forgotten Realms Addict since 1990 ***
Treasures of the Past, a Second Edition Play-by-Post game for and by Candlekeep Sages--http://www.rpol.net/game.cgi?gi=52011
Go to Top of Page

xedrick
Seeker

82 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2012 :  06:40:00  Show Profile Send xedrick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's a good idea, WalkerNinja. They're going to have to class up their act pretty soon if they want to participate in high-society dealings to get an invitation to the real estate auction. He's definately going to have to get his finery made custom. What other thoughts do you have on this subject? Would his business solicit a price-war?

Erik, helpful information. I think this week I'll try to highlight how most people seem unconcerned, and then introduce other city visitors, to see if he picks up on it.

Do you guys think that people would assume/believe that he's a hill giant? Or is the common person familiar enough with magic to recognize what they're seeing? It would seem that it would be in his best interest to create a persona for himself as a hill giant, being that dispel magic would be a huge weakening blow.

Edited by - xedrick on 15 Sep 2012 07:02:27
Go to Top of Page

Saxmilian
Learned Scribe

USA
157 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2012 :  23:24:16  Show Profile  Visit Saxmilian's Homepage Send Saxmilian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dont forget the simple problems of eating. Large size eats 8x as much as a normal medium-sized character. One of my players is a Minotaur and complains constantly of being hungry or paying 10 gold a meal. Clothing should easily cost double if not four times as much and weapons and armor are not normally crafted for Large-sized without custom orders.
Bad guys (at least in my opinion) often focus attacks on the most powerful looking bad guy, and not too many people are as intimidating as a 10 and half foot warrior, lol
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2012 :  00:18:30  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Saxmilian

Dont forget the simple problems of eating. Large size eats 8x as much as a normal medium-sized character. One of my players is a Minotaur and complains constantly of being hungry or paying 10 gold a meal. Clothing should easily cost double if not four times as much and weapons and armor are not normally crafted for Large-sized without custom orders.
Bad guys (at least in my opinion) often focus attacks on the most powerful looking bad guy, and not too many people are as intimidating as a 10 and half foot warrior, lol

I played a minotaur in 2E, and though he was large, he was only 7' 3" -- noticably bigger than a human, but not incredibly so. My DM and I agreed on a 10% markup for things he had to buy.

Also, because of his size, he couldn't ride a horse. He eventually got two horses and a chariot.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2012 :  05:02:35  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would think a Clydesdale could carry a minotaur. I saw some when I went to Busch Gardens (something I highly recommend - its setup like a medieval Europe in miniature) in Virginia - they were MASSIVE.

quote:
Originally posted by Saxmilian

Dont forget the simple problems of eating. Large size eats 8x as much as a normal medium-sized character. One of my players is a Minotaur and complains constantly of being hungry or paying 10 gold a meal.
Couldn't he just graze?

Looking at the thread title, I think if I don't diet soon, I can be considered a permanently enlarged human.

Edited by - Markustay on 20 Sep 2012 05:06:17
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11712 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2012 :  15:51:12  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

That's a good idea, WalkerNinja. They're going to have to class up their act pretty soon if they want to participate in high-society dealings to get an invitation to the real estate auction. He's definately going to have to get his finery made custom. What other thoughts do you have on this subject? Would his business solicit a price-war?

Erik, helpful information. I think this week I'll try to highlight how most people seem unconcerned, and then introduce other city visitors, to see if he picks up on it.

Do you guys think that people would assume/believe that he's a hill giant? Or is the common person familiar enough with magic to recognize what they're seeing? It would seem that it would be in his best interest to create a persona for himself as a hill giant, being that dispel magic would be a huge weakening blow.

He's too human formed to be hill giant. Also, one thing to note, your clothes grow with you when you get permanency cast. However, as someone noted, he'll need new clothes. Those clothes won't be magically enlarged though, so if someone DOES cast dispel magic on him, he'll be naked.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2012 :  18:13:39  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Couldn't he just get a magical pair of purple pants that rips and shreds buts stays on no matter how big he gets?

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000