Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Elminster, Gandalf or Dumbledore?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Jelennet
Learned Scribe

Russia
131 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2012 :  02:34:29  Show Profile Send Jelennet a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Poll Question:
Elminster, Gandalf and Dumbledore have some noticable similarities. Who do you like more and why?

My vote goes for Gandalf. Funny one...
Dumbledore in some cases doesn't seem very bright.

Choices:

Elminster
Gandalf
Dumbledore

(Anonymous Vote)

GRYPHON
Senior Scribe

USA
527 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2012 :  15:02:21  Show Profile Send GRYPHON a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gandalf...
Go to Top of Page

Aulduron
Learned Scribe

USA
343 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2012 :  21:58:57  Show Profile Send Aulduron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gandalf was my first wizard.

"Those with talent become wizards, Those without talent spend their lives praying for it"

-Procopio Septus
Go to Top of Page

Entromancer
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2012 :  22:41:29  Show Profile Send Entromancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dumbledore was my first wizard; I loved him as a child and even moreso as an adult. He played the role of magnificent bastard quite nicely.

"...the will is everything. The will to act."--Ra's Al Ghul

"Suffering builds character."--Talia Al Ghul
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2012 :  23:33:37  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like Gandalf as a wizard because, while powerful, his magic is a subtle thing most of the time. Of course, of the three, he has never (as far as we know) ever been a mortal like the other two...so that could be cheating I guess.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2012 :  00:32:27  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I chose Gandalf. He was my first wizard, like others have said. He also keeps his true power very hidden, very close to the vest, so determining his true capabilities is nigh impossible. He's stated as being powerful enough to wield the One Ring (even though it would corrupt him), yet in battle with a Ringwraith, a creature subservient to the Ring, he came to a draw.
Personality wise, he's also my favorite. He's friendly. He's the kind of guy you can just joke around and have a good time with, yet still have a deep discussion with and come away the wiser for it. He's there for people even when the chips are down, even if they do not realize it.
But he's also capable of making and admiting he can make mistakes. And that's an endearing quality to me for any mortal, no matter how long-lived they may be.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2012 :  01:11:44  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gandalf since only one can be chosen. I wouldn't even put Dumbledore on the same level.....the magic in his"universe" is so unimpressive in scope and power when compared to the other two. also He never hitched up his boots and did the dirty work like El and Gandalf did when given no choice. Can't remember I'm doing much that didn't benefit his,beliefs first. Harry and everyone else were tools who luckily cleaned up His mess after he had to let Snape off him.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2012 :  01:16:48  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elminster, if only because I can hear him in my head clearly (and he speaks with Ed's dulcet tones) and because he seems to like people of all stripes far more than either of the others.

Oh, and because he's as close as you'll let me vote for Khelben Arunsun.

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2012 :  02:12:40  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Pug/Milamber. He should be on that list.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2012 :  02:21:27  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd have to say Elminster... if only because I've had the chance to grow with him as a character more so than Gandalf [and Khelben, for that matter {why isn't he on the list?}], who runs a very, very close second.

I like that I've been able to follow Elminster's growth as a character from his earliest appearances in DRAGON, to his exploits as a supporting character in Realms novels, to having full-on novels dedicated purely to the Sage of Shadowdale. So I feel closer to Elminster, as a character, than I do to Gandalf.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2012 :  02:29:52  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I would have chosen Elminster. But I find him less human, and more 'divine.' A goddess's pawn is still a pawn. I like his background story, though. The Making of a Mage would probably remain as one of the best FR novels on my personal list. But his recent endeavors and transformations look like a rehash of the same old, getting-tiring ones.

Edited by - Dennis on 09 Sep 2012 02:31:02
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2012 :  02:54:15  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Agreed, but the pawn of higher forces argument applies to Gandalf as well. Rebirth to finish the unfinished task and having the authority given to him to break Saruman's staff, and all.
BB
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2012 :  03:48:51  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Everyone's a pawn (or a puppet) of something, one way or another. But the Puppet Master usually hides in the background, and the Puppet is often not aware that he's being used as a puppet. It gives the illusion of freedom. In El's case, well...it's too blatant. Mystra this, Mystra that. Tiring and repetitive. That's why I suggest he pass the 'torch' to someone else, and die a happy, final death.

Go to Top of Page

Yoss
Learned Scribe

USA
259 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2012 :  08:29:47  Show Profile Send Yoss a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd vote Khelben if he were an option. I'm not a huge fan of these three. I enjoy Ed's books far less than I probably should (I wouldn't say I dislike then since I keep reading them, clearly there's something I enjoy there), and downright can't stand Elminster a lot of the time outside of the Making of a Mage. And compared to Elminster and Gandalf, Dumbledore is a joke (pretty much for the reasons Red Walker mentioned). Gandalf...well...it's been a while since I've read or watched the movies, so he hasn't annoyed me as recently as Elminster. So I went with him, but that's because Khelben wasn't a choice. Khelben is probably the first big-deal super powerful wizard I've ever really liked.
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2012 :  13:50:37  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm I ll have to go with Gandalf myself. Dumbledore can be a bit slow at times and El can get a bit too naughty.
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2012 :  14:01:00  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
White Wizards are cool *G*

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2012 :  16:55:55  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was always partial to Allanon

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Sightless
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2012 :  01:04:32  Show Profile Send Sightless a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

Everyone's a pawn (or a puppet) of something, one way or another. But the Puppet Master usually hides in the background, and the Puppet is often not aware that he's being used as a puppet. It gives the illusion of freedom. In El's case, well...it's too blatant. Mystra this, Mystra that. Tiring and repetitive. That's why I suggest he pass the 'torch' to someone else, and die a happy, final death.

Ummm Gandalf knew exactly who was calling the shots in his case. He was forced to check in with the Boss in the two towers. That boss said, go back and deal with that Middle manager who isn't doing his job. I also kind of have an issue with this comparison Gandalf wasn't a mortal human being, and the magic systems are very, very different.

We choose to live a lie, when we see with, & not through the eye.

Every decision, no matter the evidence, is a leap of faith; if it were not, then it wouldn't be a choice at all.
Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

768 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2012 :  01:26:50  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elminster. Surprisingly I never read LotR before I started reading DnD fiction. So I knew of Elminster before I knew of Gandalf so El has a special spot due to that.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2012 :  04:41:22  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Entreri3478

I was always partial to Allanon

Allanon was my first intro to the Merlin-archetype. As I read stuff other than Brooks, though, my interest in him faded.

Of those listed, though, I'd have to go with Elminster. I like Gandalf, but I know so much more about Elminster. Dumbledore... I dunno. I like the Harry Potter books, and I'm in fact halfway thru re-reading book 7 right now. But Dumbledore never really did it for me. And the name bugs the crap out of me. So many of the names in the HP series are just flat out cringe-inducing.

Pug is pretty cool as a wizard, and I'd pick him in a heartbeat over any of the three choices we have.

In the Realms, though, Khelben is my fave male wizard.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2012 :  05:11:08  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sightless

quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

Ummm Gandalf knew exactly who was calling the shots in his case. He was forced to check in with the Boss in the two towers. That boss said, go back and deal with that Middle manager who isn't doing his job. I also kind of have an issue with this comparison Gandalf wasn't a mortal human being, and the magic systems are very, very different.
I couldn't care less for Galdalf either. Didn't I say I didn't vote?! I would have, if Pug is on the list. He pretty much embodies everything I like about wizards.

In the Realms, I have too many favorites that to choose just one would be crazy.

Edited by - Dennis on 10 Sep 2012 05:18:16
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2012 :  05:16:55  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted for Elminster.

I like Dumbledore. He's a good, complex character, and definitely one of the mightiest wizards in his universe with his magic system. But I don't think I know enough of his story to really *know* him the way I know Elminster.

I also like Gandalf, but again, he's not the focus of any of the stories about him, and he just isn't as familiar. Also, in my opinion, Gandalf has more in common with the druids of the mythology Tolkien was working with than what we think of as a wizard.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2012 :  05:55:03  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
People who dig wizards should also check out the Harry Dresden novels by Jim Butcher, the novel The Phoenix and the Mirror by Avram Davidson, and A Wizard of Earthsea and its sequels by Ursula K. LeGuin.
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2012 :  06:00:32  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not sure this is a fair question, considering this site is devoted to the Realms, and thus Elminster, but I'd have to say Gandalf, though I like Dumbledore too. Oh, I know...Merlin!!!

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

Aulduron
Learned Scribe

USA
343 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2012 :  06:16:33  Show Profile Send Aulduron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I loved the Dresden Files TV show. I've been wanting to read it.

Staver Ironbrand would be a good choice.

"Those with talent become wizards, Those without talent spend their lives praying for it"

-Procopio Septus
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2012 :  10:22:44  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I liked Gandalf until the movies, actually Hobbit's Gandalf
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2012 :  10:26:26  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lee Byers

People who dig wizards should also check out the Harry Dresden novels by Jim Butcher, the novel The Phoenix and the Mirror by Avram Davidson, and A Wizard of Earthsea and its sequels by Ursula K. LeGuin.

Ooh, the Dresden Files, good call. Harry is definitely my favorite wizard, and I'm eagerly looking forward to Cold Days. I'm also eagerly looking forward to when we find out more about Mac, because that guy simply isn't a vanilla mortal.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2378 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2012 :  14:42:39  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, as a semidivine entity, in "Demipower or Magibabble?" he's about halfway between.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2012 :  21:32:09  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dresden, or Cugel the Clever, Drusas Achamian, Iskaral Pust
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2012 :  01:15:22  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Berlgareth is a longtime favorite of mine ...and how could I forget Dresden, I love those books. Harry Dresden is the reason I switched to eBooks. Once I read the first, I had to read them all.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963

Edited by - The Red Walker on 12 Sep 2012 01:16:16
Go to Top of Page

Kno
Senior Scribe

452 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2012 :  13:35:17  Show Profile Send Kno a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hard to tell - Dumbledore was gay, Elminster perv, Gandalf celibate

z455t
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000