Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 Forging the Forgotten Realms - by Ed Greenwood
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 13

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2012 :  18:35:38  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The more I read of these, the more I get the feeling that these are what Ed originally wrote for the recently published Elminster's Guide to the Realms, (until the marketing team got hold of the book and chopped it about a bit to make it more 'corporate').

Though Ed's latest book is great, I would much rather have seen more of these articles in there, than some of the previously published work, re-written/edited for the book.

I am hoping this series continues for a long time as it gives a fantastic insight into the home Realms campaign.

Cheers

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2012 :  18:55:37  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No, Ed wrote these entirely separately. Though I would happily pay for a hardcover collection of them, with doubled lore of the sort the "What Do Ye Do For A Living?" column consists of.
Re. that same column, one additional lore note re. Rhauligan, from Ed: "For an extra fee, those great gongs could be arranged to hang horizontally, on chains and pulleys, so they could double as freight elevators. Warning: beware overloading! They are best used to hoist ballistae, crossbow bolts, armor plates, and unlit torches aloft, not personnel or heavy furniture."
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2012 :  04:33:05  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now thats what I'm talking about. That reads less like an article and more like an entry in a Volo Guide. Stuff I can just grab and run with.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2012 :  02:23:40  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And now onto one of my favourite elements of Realmslore... Broadsheets!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2012 :  01:47:03  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cutting to the heart of what makes being a DM such fun... Ed delivers:- The Mushroom Man.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2012 :  02:17:25  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed elaborates on trade in the Realms with:- What’s He Got in His Wagons?

Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2012 :  21:00:35  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Ed elaborates on trade in the Realms with:- What’s He Got in His Wagons?

Love this one, more trade lore, more more more!!!!

Cheers

Damian

Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2013 :  04:54:24  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed returns with an awesome doppelganger-related "Forging the Realms" article:- Quelzard, Patron of Adventurers

Me edit: Fixed the link.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 05 Jan 2013 05:58:21
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2013 :  06:03:51  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ed returns with an awesome doppelganger-related "Forging the Realms" article:- Quelzard, Patron of Adventurers

Oh, that is pure gold. That give so many new ways to use doppelgangers!

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2013 :  15:09:38  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wonder what THO will have to day about this little revelation.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2013 :  17:33:03  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

AWESOME, love this article, it sums up what Ed is always talking about re the Home Campaign - intrigue and plots and sub plots galore

more like this please - a lot more!

Cheers

Damian

shudder,
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2013 :  19:13:00  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Please someone tell me I'm not the only one that totally dislike the GM-ing mindset leading to that idea ?
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2013 :  21:30:37  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Skeptic

Please someone tell me I'm not the only one that totally dislike the GM-ing mindset leading to that idea ?

I think you probably are

I see in all of Ed's articles tips and tricks that most/all long running DM's use in their campaigns in various guises - for instance the friendly monster with a tweak is the helpful merchant who just happens to be on hand when the players need arrows, or potions of healing, or somewhere safe to rest and recover, and this merchant might also be the adventurers patron (as per the last article) or even the mysterious 'menace' who previously watched from afar and disappeared when they approached him/her/it.

So for me I recognise lots of styles of gameplay in Ed's articles that I have been running for 30+years now

Cheers

Damian

shudder,
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Learned Scribe

242 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2013 :  03:39:30  Show Profile  Visit Malcolm's Homepage Send Malcolm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What "GM-ing mindset" do you mean, Skeptic?
I read the article as jokingly telling his players something that should scare them: that for years a doppelganger has been benefitting from them and manipulating them, as well as covertly helping them (to keep "his pet adventurers" hale and continuing to reap him benefits).
And telling us all that this is how the brightest doppelgangers live and work in the Realms.
Something I'm adopting for my campaign right away.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2013 :  02:33:04  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The first thing that came to mind when I read Ed's new article:- When Stuff Happens, What’s a DM to Do?, today, is, "Suddenly Ninjas!"

Go to Top of Page

arry
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
317 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2013 :  11:28:56  Show Profile Send arry a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's one person who agrees with you Skeptic. If I'd tried that on my players the campaign would have been killed dead.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2013 :  04:20:41  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you do it right, your players will never find out. Thats the idea.

Not sure if I'd use that, but its just one more tool I can put in my toolbox. I find his latest article very useful though - I oft-times forget to 'season the meat' properly; its a good practice to get into.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2013 :  04:23:02  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed's new "Forging the Realms" for this week:- When Stuff Happens, Leaving a Legacy.

Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2013 :  15:37:57  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Malcolm

What "GM-ing mindset" do you mean, Skeptic?

quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

If you do it right, your players will never find out. Thats the idea.

That should give you a good hint about what I mean, but I don't want to derail the thread more than I already did and get into trouble with the powers that be again .

Edited by - Skeptic on 20 Jan 2013 15:38:32
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2013 :  18:08:39  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not sure what you mean. How is having a 'GM mindset' bad when you are the GM of an RPG campaign?

I differentiate this from the 'DM mindset', which is more of a DM vs PCs mindset. If I want to do that, I don't need to be clever - I can snap my fingers and bury them under a landslide.

Every good GM 'fudges' things as they go along. The game isn't about rules - its about entertaining your friends. Ed is just pointing out a clever way to incorporate some of that 'fudging' into the backstory. I've already said I probably wouldn't use that, but it is useful to have in my 'toolbox', should the need arise (like if someone ever sees me fudge a dieroll - I know in the back of my head I have 'modifiers' they are unaware of).

BTW, no-one has ever caught me fudging a die-roll (or anything else) - I don't do it often enough. I did run a session for an experienced group with a single player who was purposely trying to 'trip me up' (and everyone found it amusing to follow his lead). Not only did that lead to one of my best-run RP sessions, it also lead to the creation of one of my favorite HB deities.

From an excellent episode of Futurama:
God - "When you do things things right, they can't tell you've done anything at all."

quote:

Ed's new "Forging the Realms" for this week:- When Stuff Happens, Leaving a Legacy.
This one seems more like a "what to expect" with some RW advice thrown in the end, then anything truly useful (by his own admission, because no matter what, you simply can't control how time changes things). Still, an enjoyable read, as usual.

Edited by - Markustay on 25 Jan 2013 18:12:37
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2013 :  01:41:47  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
New article for the week, and, again, we explore some of Ed's fascinating insights into campaign management with:- Foundation Stones.

Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2013 :  20:10:36  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When I saw the title 'Quelzard, Patron of Adventurers' I thought, for a moment, that this was a newly revealed demigod or Issek-like cult/scam. Anyone else read it that way? Pretty good idea.
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2013 :  20:46:50  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I didn't read it that way. But now that you mention it I can see how that's possible. That's awesome.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2013 :  02:50:13  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

When I saw the title 'Quelzard, Patron of Adventurers' I thought, for a moment, that this was a newly revealed demigod or Issek-like cult/scam. Anyone else read it that way? Pretty good idea.

I initially thought it might have been some new intriguing cult, actually. A scam running to catch foolish young adventures cutting their teeth for the first time on hopes of "high adventures."

I like the demigod angle, though. That deserves further development.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2013 :  15:34:57  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This week's "Forging the Realms" brings up an interesting noble of Cormyr in the form of Lord Crakehall.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2013 :  03:47:59  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In terms of my own Realms, Ed's answer for this week's column largely mirrors my thinking on the subject:- How Many Hidden Cults Is Too Many?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2013 :  04:15:21  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Woot! Ed provides some love for gnomes and dwarves with this week's "Forging the Realms" article:- The New Underways.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2013 :  15:48:26  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Squee! Ed provides more love for my favourite D&D race... the gnomes, with:- Melve's Plan.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2013 :  02:01:59  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed Greenwood. Airships.

'Nuff said!

Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2013 :  03:59:29  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How many of these articles are there? Did they start in Sep '12 or do they go back further somewhere?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 13 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000