Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Erin M Evans
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2013 :  23:16:43  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello Erin,

I read Brimstone Angels: Lesser Evils shortly after it came out (and I can't wait for the next installment) and finally got around to posting my review here at Candlekeep. Looking it over before I posted it made me remember that I had two questions that I meant to ask after reading the book, if you can answer them.

The first is was the epilogue written with knowledge of the upcoming Sundering event, or was there some other massive event Asmodeus was initially planning to deal with?

Second, does the title of your next book, The Adversary, refer to Asmodeus? It seems like the kind of title someone would give the Devil-God of the Nine Hells.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
-The Sith Code

Teenage Sith zombies, Tulkh thought-how in the moons of Bogden had it all started? Every so often, the universe must just get bored and decide to really cut loose. -Star Wars: Red Harvest
Go to Top of Page

ErinMEvans
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2013 :  01:04:30  Show Profile  Visit ErinMEvans's Homepage Send ErinMEvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm glad you enjoyed it! I'll have to check out your review.

quote:
Originally posted by Tyrant

[...] I had two questions that I meant to ask after reading the book, if you can answer them.

The first is was the epilogue written with knowledge of the upcoming Sundering event, or was there some other massive event Asmodeus was initially planning to deal with?

It was written with the Sundering in mind. I was partway through my draft of Lesser Evils when I was asked to pitch a Sundering story, and I think I had just turned in the first draft when I convinced James Wyatt to let me make it a Brimstone Angels story, too. Originally, Lesser Evils story was a bit different, and the epilogue I wrote had Sairche going to Invadiah and making a deal, setting up for a different sequel.

But the larger arc of the series was one that fit in to the Sundering quite nicely (hence the agreement that my book could feature Farideh!) and would have gotten to Asmodeus and the archdevils eventually. :)

quote:
Second, does the title of your next book, The Adversary, refer to Asmodeus? It seems like the kind of title someone would give the Devil-God of the Nine Hells.

The thing I have always found interesting about the epithet "The Adversary" is that while adversary comes from a root indicating hostility, it doesn't imply evil. It only implies active opposition. So, yes, Asmodeus is the Adversary in the classical sense, but Farideh is also the Adversary, and arguably so are some other players.

www.slushlush.com
Go to Top of Page

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2013 :  03:03:52  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the insight Erin. I hadn't considered that about Adversary before. I think I was equating it with how in Lord of The Rings Sauron was simply referred to as The Enemy at various points in a way that said "Well who else would we mean by The Enemy?" Of all the beings in the Realms, Asmodeus seemed like the lead contender for a name like that. Bane or Shar might be close, but I don't see either as Evil as the king of the Hells. I do like your clarification though and the ambiguity it introduces.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
-The Sith Code

Teenage Sith zombies, Tulkh thought-how in the moons of Bogden had it all started? Every so often, the universe must just get bored and decide to really cut loose. -Star Wars: Red Harvest
Go to Top of Page

ErinMEvans
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2013 :  04:44:08  Show Profile  Visit ErinMEvans's Homepage Send ErinMEvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good. I always go for the layered meaning if I can find it.

www.slushlush.com
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2013 :  08:09:23  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll admit a strong bias against 4E-style tieflings (usurpers and false pretenders who've displaced my beloved 2E Planescape tieflings!) and basically 4E post-Spellplague Realmslore in general ... and I've only read one chapter of Lesser Evils since I don't want to "ruin" the series before obtaining the first novel ...

But the writing style seems unsually sophisticated and mature for the "young reader" category suggested by the bookstore. What is the actual intended audience? I don't want to seem prejudiced, but I was under the (mistaken?) impression that 4E D&D/FR titles basically target entire spectrum of teens and young adults (perhaps weighted more towards the younger side). Or perhaps I'm misjudging the capacities of modern teens, dunno.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

ErinMEvans
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2013 :  18:03:37  Show Profile  Visit ErinMEvans's Homepage Send ErinMEvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

But the writing style seems unsually sophisticated and mature for the "young reader" category suggested by the bookstore. What is the actual intended audience? I don't want to seem prejudiced, but I was under the (mistaken?) impression that 4E D&D/FR titles basically target entire spectrum of teens and young adults (perhaps weighted more towards the younger side). Or perhaps I'm misjudging the capacities of modern teens, dunno.

If that was the case for the novels, honestly, no one ever told me (and keep in mind, I edited about a dozen 4e FR novels in addition to writing three). That doesn't mean no one said that, but it wasn't practice. The audience was always the same one, maybe evena bit older, as certain restrictions that were in place back in the day were lifted. The target was still a vague PG-13 (which is more about pleasing the widest audience than anything else), but honestly I don't think was ever aimed any lower than what most publishers look for (i.e. no erotica, no splatterpunk). Writing-wise, there's definitely a feel you want from Realms books, but there's a range--you want prose that feels easy and effortless, but that can be very spare and simple, or just tuned in the right way to the narrative.

Anyway, no one at Wizards has ever told me I need to take it down a notch linguistically, narratively, or really anything else along those lines. Actually, the only thing they've ever asked me to simplify is points-of-view(Brimstone Angels originally had a number so big I'm not going to repeat it) and flashbacks (Lesser Evils has some bits that are twisty, and there was no need to make it twistier).

As for target audience, if you forced me I'd say you'll get peak enjoyment out of it if you're at the age where you realize you made mistakes as a teenager, but you've forgiven yourself for them. Which, I dunno, mid-twenties and up? (I hate thinking in terms of target audiences. My target is people who like fantasy adventure and characters they can sink their teeth into!)

quote:
I'll admit a strong bias against 4E-style tieflings (usurpers and false pretenders who've displaced my beloved 2E Planescape tieflings!) and basically 4E post-Spellplague Realmslore in general ... and I've only read one chapter of Lesser Evils since I don't want to "ruin" the series before obtaining the first novel ...

Aw! Don't think of them as displacers. Think of them as distractions! While everyone goes, "Yeah, that guy with the tail and the horns and the weird eyes? Tiefling. Watch your coin purse." the more subtle tieflings can just go, "I know, right? 'Scuse me." and get on with their lives and/or schemes.

I'm pleased you're planning to give Brimstone Angels a chance anyway.

www.slushlush.com

Edited by - ErinMEvans on 04 Feb 2013 18:05:39
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2013 :  18:15:33  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a question I've been dying to ask a Forgotten Realms author; and since I'm reading one of your books currently, I thought it would be good to ask you...especially due to the topic of fiends!

How do you dwell on the topic of such vile and evil beings as fiends without becoming too involved with them on a personal basis? I know your novel must be rated PG13 (or so); but how do you research exactly how evil "works" in the mind of such beings?

I'm interested to know because I often find myself going to criminal interviews and such...but I was curious about your own methods toward the "madness" if you will.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

ErinMEvans
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2013 :  18:37:29  Show Profile  Visit ErinMEvans's Homepage Send ErinMEvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

I have a question I've been dying to ask a Forgotten Realms author; and since I'm reading one of your books currently, I thought it would be good to ask you...especially due to the topic of fiends!

How do you dwell on the topic of such vile and evil beings as fiends without becoming too involved with them on a personal basis? I know your novel must be rated PG13 (or so); but how do you research exactly how evil "works" in the mind of such beings?

I'm interested to know because I often find myself going to criminal interviews and such...but I was curious about your own methods toward the "madness" if you will.

So caveat: the fiends I mostly deal with with any kind of depth are cambions, so I would argue they're not necessarily as intrinsically evil as full-blooded devils.

I try to find a relatable angle for it. When you start thinking in terms of "good" and "evil" I think you run the risk of over-simplifying characters. I think of devils in general as not so much "evil" (not that they aren't!) as power-hungry and without the normal filters that say "No, stop!" I think it's easier to think about what you'd do if no one stopped you, than just "if you were evil."

I look at Lorcan, for example, as someone who is just fundamentally selfish as opposed to naturally evil. He does evil things, but his motives are always related to what that evil act nets him. Moreover, he's lived his whole life in a society in which he really can't depend on anyone but himself--everyone else would throw him under the nearest pit fiend if it meant they could advance. Regardless of his nature, to even survive you have to be willing to do things a real person hopefully wouldn't.

Add into this the fact that the hierarchy is looming over the whole of devilkin. That's a world where everyone is on edge and a little anxious--and as someone who's a little anxious, I can sympathize! Those cutthroat acts don't have to be reactive to be understandable when you know that anyone could be gunning for you.

I don't mean to make this sound like every devil or even every cambion is just a victim of their culture. I think they mostly quite enjoy the whole business, and if you want to talk about the "nature" half of things, they've probably bred and been bred to be really good at doing evil. It's just, for me, that's not a helpful way to think of it. Thinking of the way that their culture reinforces those ideas is what's helpful for me.

On the other hand, there's a character in Lesser Evils who I went more "full monster]" with. In his case, I sort of dug up what was terrifying to me and read accounts of people who had his sort of predilections. And I never used his point-of-view, so you couldn't sympathize with the creep.

www.slushlush.com
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2013 :  19:56:07  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanx for your replies, EME.

I suppose I shouldn't have been too surprised by the "adult" writing level, similar to (what I've read of) ESdB's and PSK's writings. My expectations were probably influenced by some recent chatter in the THO/Ed scroll about "middle grade fantasy", and of course the "young adult" bookstore shelf. Next to the westerns, wtf, what kind of kid reads westerns these days?

No worries about the 4E-style stuff. It's not my preference but it's just fiction set in a fantasy world, no big deal when you can simply enjoy each setting and each tale for what it is. The haters are gonna hate, so I'll leave the hating to them.

Having said that, I still much prefer the random range and variety of 2E tieflings over their homogenized 4E counterparts. Of course, even a 4E tiefling is far better than no tiefling in my mind.

As a reader I can easily bypass FR titles, most especially in these post-Spellplague times, as I increasingly tend to follow only carefully selected characters or localities in the Realms. However, Planescape is my obsessive Achilles heel, anything involving planeslore of any kind is a "must read" which I cannot possibly ignore.

But as an author, were you drawn to these "outsider" characters through an interest in extra-planar D&D cosmology stuff? That is, were you more interested in exploring the dark fringes of society or in exploring the dark fringes of the universe? Was it more the human or the fiend you really wanted to write?

[Edit: Apologies for the impromptu interview questionnaire, haha.]

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 04 Feb 2013 21:43:24
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2013 :  21:43:17  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ErinMEvans

So caveat: the fiends I mostly deal with with any kind of depth are cambions, so I would argue they're not necessarily as intrinsically evil as full-blooded devils.

I try to find a relatable angle for it. When you start thinking in terms of "good" and "evil" I think you run the risk of over-simplifying characters. I think of devils in general as not so much "evil" (not that they aren't!) as power-hungry and without the normal filters that say "No, stop!" I think it's easier to think about what you'd do if no one stopped you, than just "if you were evil."

I look at Lorcan, for example, as someone who is just fundamentally selfish as opposed to naturally evil. He does evil things, but his motives are always related to what that evil act nets him. Moreover, he's lived his whole life in a society in which he really can't depend on anyone but himself--everyone else would throw him under the nearest pit fiend if it meant they could advance. Regardless of his nature, to even survive you have to be willing to do things a real person hopefully wouldn't.

Add into this the fact that the hierarchy is looming over the whole of devilkin. That's a world where everyone is on edge and a little anxious--and as someone who's a little anxious, I can sympathize! Those cutthroat acts don't have to be reactive to be understandable when you know that anyone could be gunning for you.

I don't mean to make this sound like every devil or even every cambion is just a victim of their culture. I think they mostly quite enjoy the whole business, and if you want to talk about the "nature" half of things, they've probably bred and been bred to be really good at doing evil. It's just, for me, that's not a helpful way to think of it. Thinking of the way that their culture reinforces those ideas is what's helpful for me.

On the other hand, there's a character in Lesser Evils who I went more "full monster]" with. In his case, I sort of dug up what was terrifying to me and read accounts of people who had his sort of predilections. And I never used his point-of-view, so you couldn't sympathize with the creep.

Cambions have been my favorite fiend since Iuz in Greyhawk! I really appreciate them on a sort of personal level because I was always told by my family that my Dad was the devil!

On a serious note, however, I've always wondered why in earlier editions of D&D that Cambions didn't apply to both Demons and Devils...so I often simply called any half-fiend a cambion.

Thanks for the great book writing...really enjoying Lesser Evils right now!

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!

Edited by - Dalor Darden on 04 Feb 2013 21:44:34
Go to Top of Page

ErinMEvans
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2013 :  22:38:15  Show Profile  Visit ErinMEvans's Homepage Send ErinMEvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

[Edit: Apologies for the impromptu interview questionnaire, haha.]

Hey, that's what this scroll is for!

quote:
But as an author, were you drawn to these "outsider" characters through an interest in extra-planar D&D cosmology stuff? That is, were you more interested in exploring the dark fringes of society or in exploring the dark fringes of the universe? Was it more the human or the fiend you really wanted to write?

If I have to pick one, it would be the human. Generally, it's the characters that grab me first, and the lore comes after.

But I have to admit, there wasn't much of a gap between the two. Fiendish Codex II was long one of my favorite "waiting for an email" reads at work. I love the distinction between devils and demons, and all the little changes to the lore there over time just make me want to puzzle out explanations. For instance, how Malbolge has changed in form so many times...and yet every form seems to suggest a sort of ordered disorder that reminds me personally of the fact that entropy is its own sort of law. Or--as you'll see in Brimstone Angels--figuring out what it's like to be a succubus in the Nine Hells. Cause you can't just change that and not dig into it!

www.slushlush.com
Go to Top of Page

ErinMEvans
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2013 :  22:39:24  Show Profile  Visit ErinMEvans's Homepage Send ErinMEvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden
On a serious note, however, I've always wondered why in earlier editions of D&D that Cambions didn't apply to both Demons and Devils...so I often simply called any half-fiend a cambion.

Hmm...I don't know either!

quote:
Thanks for the great book writing...really enjoying Lesser Evils right now!

You're welcome! And I'm glad you're enjoying it!

www.slushlush.com

Edited by - ErinMEvans on 04 Feb 2013 22:40:11
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2013 :  23:03:49  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@Dalor - lengthy answers to your question in many scrolls, including Cambions of the Realms and Demons/devils that are able to have half-fiends.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2013 :  05:44:27  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
EME, my bookstores (Black Bond Books, Chapters) inform me that these titles are only available as ebooks. Can you say if there's any plans for hardcopy releases?

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

ErinMEvans
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2013 :  06:04:25  Show Profile  Visit ErinMEvans's Homepage Send ErinMEvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

EME, my bookstores (Black Bond Books, Chapters) inform me that these titles are only available as ebooks. Can you say if there's any plans for hardcopy releases?

That's extremely weird. They're both available as paperbacks (in fact a box of Brimstone Angels is serving as an endtable in my office at the moment).

Hmm...a quick peek at Chapters.ca shows the mass market paperback is available. Site glitch? Bookseller error? Black Bond Books seems to be able to order, but doesn't have it in stores?

http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/books/Brimstone-Angels-Lesser-Evils-Forgotten-Erin-M-Evans/9780786963768-item.html?ikwid=brimstone+angels&ikwsec=Home

http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/books/Brimstone-Angels-Forgotten-Realms-Novel-Erin-M-Evans/9780786958467-item.html?ikwid=brimstone+angels&ikwsec=Home

www.slushlush.com
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2013 :  06:28:23  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, I see Lesser Evils listed as a mass market paperbound at chapters.ca (here), and will confirm with their store tomorrow, although the girl on the phone said it was listed in their database as ebook only. I thought little of it when Black Bond said the same (via email) because they never have current SF&F titles in stock until relentlessly pestered to look up their inventory in other locations.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2013 :  10:23:29  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just updating - Chapters/Indigo managed to "special order" paperback versions for me, saying that stocks appear to be limited; I think their database is usually a few steps behind their logistics, how long have these books been on the Canadian market? I didn't even bother with Black Bond, no need to wait forever while I ride on them to get the book.

It's a bit of a pain to drive down to Bellingham whenever I want to buy some paperbacks, haha.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 08 Feb 2013 10:25:04
Go to Top of Page

ErinMEvans
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2013 :  22:27:50  Show Profile  Visit ErinMEvans's Homepage Send ErinMEvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Just updating - Chapters/Indigo managed to "special order" paperback versions for me, saying that stocks appear to be limited; I think their database is usually a few steps behind their logistics, how long have these books been on the Canadian market? I didn't even bother with Black Bond, no need to wait forever while I ride on them to get the book.

It's a bit of a pain to drive down to Bellingham whenever I want to buy some paperbacks, haha.

Huh, weird!

Brimstone Angels has been out for over a year, and went to reprints sometime before GenCon. It could be they're coming up on another reprint if the stocks are that low. They might wait for the Neverwinter MMO release for that. Or it might be a Chapters thing.

Lesser Evils came out in Canada a week after it did in the US. So they've had access for a few months now.

Hope they get to you with no further bumps!

www.slushlush.com
Go to Top of Page

ErinMEvans
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2013 :  17:07:40  Show Profile  Visit ErinMEvans's Homepage Send ErinMEvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm running a last minute contest on my Facebook page to give away three Neverwinter MMO beta keys. Answer trivia questions about Brimstone Angels to win! (First question just went up)

https://www.facebook.com/brimstoneangels?ref=hl
EDIT: All done! Thanks for playing!

www.slushlush.com

Edited by - ErinMEvans on 24 Feb 2013 00:09:16
Go to Top of Page

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2013 :  16:11:05  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello again Erin,

I was searching Amazon the other day and I noticed that the page for the Adversary was now up. I was wondering if you could say if the blurb is accurate as they have been known to be not so accurate with other books in the past? Likewise with the cover art?

-The Sith Code

Go to Top of Page

ErinMEvans
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2013 :  17:50:07  Show Profile  Visit ErinMEvans's Homepage Send ErinMEvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hello again Erin,

I was searching Amazon the other day and I noticed that the page for the Adversary was now up. I was wondering if you could say if the blurb is accurate as they have been known to be not so accurate with other books in the past? Likewise with the cover art?

Hi Tyrant,

It's accurate. It's intentionally a little vague of course, so the juicy parts aren't spoiled. :) The cover is the most recent cover, although they may still make changes to the title/author name/ series (size, placement, etc).

I wasn't sure if this was something to post here. Especially since everyone's deep into Last Threshold. :) Would that be appropriate?

www.slushlush.com
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2013 :  03:37:05  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eeee, I'm excited. I'm still curious to see how you deal with the time jump, but I am looking forward to the book!

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

ErinMEvans
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2013 :  23:47:13  Show Profile  Visit ErinMEvans's Homepage Send ErinMEvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CorellonsDevout

Eeee, I'm excited. I'm still curious to see how you deal with the time jump, but I am looking forward to the book!

Oh, I'm always glad to hear that.

Honestly, when my editor asked for my input on the description, I listed the things I thought were important and the things I thought were sort of "twists" we didn't want to spoil. And in our discussion, I got the impression she thought she'd have to put that particular element in the copy. But I guess not! (Maybe on the jacket copy. )

www.slushlush.com
Go to Top of Page

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2013 :  01:56:17  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Hello again Erin,

Hi Tyrant,

It's accurate. It's intentionally a little vague of course, so the juicy parts aren't spoiled. :) The cover is the most recent cover, although they may still make changes to the title/author name/ series (size, placement, etc).

I wasn't sure if this was something to post here. Especially since everyone's deep into Last Threshold. :) Would that be appropriate?

I was curious mainly because I had just finished reading The Last Threshold and it sounded like it tied into parts of that book, as far as the Netherese interest in the Chosen. Thanks for answering and if you don't mind I have another question. Was the idea to include the Nethrese in Lesser Evils a result of the upcoming storyline so the twins had some experience with them or was that more or less always the plan and it just happens that the Netherese are involved in the upcoming events?

-The Sith Code

Go to Top of Page

ErinMEvans
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2013 :  03:30:14  Show Profile  Visit ErinMEvans's Homepage Send ErinMEvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I was curious mainly because I had just finished reading The Last Threshold and it sounded like it tied into parts of that book, as far as the Netherese interest in the Chosen. Thanks for answering and if you don't mind I have another question. Was the idea to include the Nethrese in Lesser Evils a result of the upcoming storyline so the twins had some experience with them or was that more or less always the plan and it just happens that the Netherese are involved in the upcoming events?

Coincidence. They became the baddies of Lesser Evils partly because I wanted to use an ancient Netherese library and partly because they made for a solid enemy for both that group of Harpers and that group of Zhentarim. I wanted to do an "enemy of my enemy" thing from the start.

The epilogue was a direct result of the Sundering plans, however.

www.slushlush.com
Go to Top of Page

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2013 :  03:57:36  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Coincidence. They became the baddies of Lesser Evils partly because I wanted to use an ancient Netherese library and partly because they made for a solid enemy for both that group of Harpers and that group of Zhentarim. I wanted to do an "enemy of my enemy" thing from the start.

The epilogue was a direct result of the Sundering plans, however.

Speaking of that Netherese library, any chance we will see any fallout from any items removed at the end of Lesser Evils, or is that a "wait and check The Adversary" kind of question?

-The Sith Code

Go to Top of Page

ErinMEvans
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2013 :  17:19:21  Show Profile  Visit ErinMEvans's Homepage Send ErinMEvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Speaking of that Netherese library, any chance we will see any fallout from any items removed at the end of Lesser Evils, or is that a "wait and check The Adversary" kind of question?

Some of the effects are described loosely in Lesser Evils. Others...wait for The Adversary. I'm still deciding what fits and what's too much for readers I haven't convinced to read tehother two books yet. :p

www.slushlush.com
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2013 :  18:21:31  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Some of the effects are described loosely in Lesser Evils. Others...wait for The Adversary. I'm still deciding what fits and what's too much for readers I haven't convinced to read tehother two books yet. :p
They just need to get off their butts and read BA and BA:LE. Those books are damn good writing that just need to be read.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2013 :  19:01:58  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Okay. I figured there was a decent chance some effects would show up in the Adversary with the Netherese being confirmed to be in it.

Also, I am in total agreement with Hawkins' comment.

-The Sith Code

Go to Top of Page

ErinMEvans
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2013 :  05:13:05  Show Profile  Visit ErinMEvans's Homepage Send ErinMEvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, you guys! I think it's just a fact that some people will be curious about the Sundering, but not willing to read 4E novels. Or possibly they haven't heard of them (I mean I try to mention it, but you'd be surprised how many people insist that Salvatore is the only author who's written books in current Neverwinter ).

But I'm glad to hear you both enjoyed them.

www.slushlush.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000