Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Elminster a Drow?!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3737 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2012 :  19:01:47  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Therise

Why is this so shocking? Seriously... like Elminster hasn't been a drow before?

He's been a woman, he polymorphs into different men ALL THE TIME (old, young)... hasn't he even been a dragon?

This strikes me as one of the more typical things I'd expect of him, not even remotely shocking.

-There's also a big difference between knowing something theoretically exists (child abuse) and seeing it happen right in front of your eyes (someone beats the crap out of a kid with you standing there). The former doesn't have the 'intimacy' that the latter has, which makes it more shocking, even though you know it happens.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerûn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerûn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2012 :  20:45:04  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow.

And I thought I made some truly bizarre comparisons.

Lets put it this way - if he had changed into ANYTHING else (aside from an Aboleth), I could just hand-wave it, but this is a bit too much of an obvious 'theatrical' device for me.

However, what I want and what I like shouldn't matter one whit, and if this is what it will take to grow the IP, then so be it.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2012 :  21:41:25  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Note: Elminster hasn't changed or transformed into anything. Nor can he, these days.

He's (living) ash. That's it.

Thus far he's occupied and rode willing minds/bodies.

I'm curious if the "fallen dark elf" is barely alive or perhaps newly dead. If the former, will Elminster have to strike an accord with the dark elf? If the later...well I'm curious how that will work out.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

_Jarlaxle_
Senior Scribe

Germany
584 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2012 :  22:23:13  Show Profile Send _Jarlaxle_ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@Markus
Of course this is no coincidence and has to do something (all?) with Rise of the Underdark. It's playing in the same timeframe and it seems it really will be a huge campaign by the drow.
At least this time we don't have to ask "Why isn't Elminster doing something about it? -Because he is busy doing something else far more importing blabla..."
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2012 :  23:52:36  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Does anyone feel like El is on a trip like the Sorcerer Supreme?

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2012 :  01:11:09  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

I don't think Stephen Strange was ever reduced to living as arcanely-powered ash.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2012 :  02:02:30  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

I don't think Stephen Strange was ever reduced to living as arcanely-powered ash.

Very true...but he did have to fight for the title/position of Sorcerer Supreme. El is doing something similar now, he isn't the greatest spellcaster any longer...but it may be something he can "win back" maybe?

Go to Top of Page

Sightless
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2012 :  02:12:49  Show Profile Send Sightless a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On the face of it, I’m slightly annoyed, because it might be more in praise of elves. I’m starting to feel like they get entirely too much praise in this system. That’s just me though, and I’ll admit, there are other factors biasing my opinion.

And no, they have nothing to do with my liking of orcs, goblins, giants, etc, etc.

Still, I’ve not been disappointed by Mr. Greenwood yet, so perhaps what he does will be entertaining in it’s own right.

We choose to live a lie, when we see with, & not through the eye.

Every decision, no matter the evidence, is a leap of faith; if it were not, then it wouldn't be a choice at all.
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2012 :  03:01:39  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Does this mean that the drow in the pointy hat driving the wagon on the cover of the upcoming Ed Greenwood's Realms could be none other than the Old Sage?

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Edited by - Fellfire on 10 May 2012 03:03:15
Go to Top of Page

Sightless
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2012 :  03:15:21  Show Profile Send Sightless a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by _Jarlaxle_

I don't see the problem here. The drow are getting artifacts for Lolth, Elminster has to get them back from them. How can he do this better than in the body of a drow?

And though the last I read about him was Elminster must die! I am very interestet in the events leading to this

Wait a minute... they killed Elmenster?

Like Superman?

Every decision, no matter the evidence, is a leap of faith; if it were not, then it wouldn't be a choice at all.
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2012 :  03:41:37  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

Does this mean that the drow in the pointy hat driving the wagon on the cover of the upcoming Ed Greenwood's Realms could be none other than the Old Sage?

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2012 :  04:11:35  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sightless

quote:
Originally posted by _Jarlaxle_

I don't see the problem here. The drow are getting artifacts for Lolth, Elminster has to get them back from them. How can he do this better than in the body of a drow?

And though the last I read about him was Elminster must die! I am very interestet in the events leading to this

Wait a minute... they killed Elmenster?

Like Superman?

Without spoiling too much, I suggest you read Ed Greenwood's Elminster Must Die.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Sightless
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2012 :  05:16:37  Show Profile Send Sightless a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I'd love to, but scanning a hard copy is nigh impossible. Well, getting it to come out in an understandable format that is. And since They haven't even brailed the temptation yet, I'll have to wait for a while.

I didn't hear it in an E-book format either, but did check. Hince, my rather impertenant question. Yes, I have the good sense tosee it as such. Well, I'll go back to the relm of not knowing.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2012 :  05:47:45  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wolverine once regenerated from a single drop of blood, so maybe Chosen have a Wolvie-class healing factor. He also beat the vampire curse, which is kinda weird, since Marvel treats vampirism as a magical ailment, not a virus. I suppose chosen are immune to vampirism as well (silver fire won't let it happen).

Maybe Wolverine is really a Chosen of Malar.

What were we talking about again?

quote:

We need a 'hit-the-bullseye' smiley.

Nice catch.

I guess he's gonna stay a drow.

{sigh} WOD here we come.

I will read this novel, just to see where the realms are headed. Sadly, this bit of news has now tarnished my opinion of Rise of the Underdark, which I had high hopes for. At least the Shar/Lolth thing sounds like it could be interesting.

Hmmmm... Lolth wants to take on Shar, and Elminster's trying to revive Mystra (Shar's nemesis), and El's a drow now...

How does that saying go? "The enemy of my enemy is my friend?" There is hope for this yet.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 10 May 2012 05:53:54
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2012 :  12:35:46  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not usually one to rant. But I just cannot even begin to address how Eldrizzter the Spellscarred is utterly too wrong on too many levels. It is the final sign, to me the Realms I once loved have now truly fallen and been replaced by some overly-animated World of Wizards version.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2012 :  12:48:11  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
quote:Originally posted by Fellfire

Yeah.

And yes, I bet it's related to the Rise of the Underdark, and no, I'm not interested. Busy working on my own homebrew world, which won't even use D&D.

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Sightless
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2012 :  13:44:00  Show Profile Send Sightless a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Wolverine once regenerated from a single drop of blood, so maybe Chosen have a Wolvie-class healing factor. He also beat the vampire curse, which is kinda weird, since Marvel treats vampirism as a magical ailment, not a virus. I suppose chosen are immune to vampirism as well (silver fire won't let it happen).

Maybe Wolverine is really a Chosen of Malar.

What were we talking about again?

quote:

Nice catch.

I guess he's gonna stay a drow.

{sigh} WOD here we come.

I will read this novel, just to see where the realms are headed. Sadly, this bit of news has now tarnished my opinion of Rise of the Underdark, which I had high hopes for. At least the Shar/Lolth thing sounds like it could be interesting.

Hmmmm... Lolth wants to take on Shar, and Elminster's trying to revive Mystra (Shar's nemesis), and El's a drow now...

How does that saying go? "The enemy of my enemy is my friend?" There is hope for this yet.

Or he could be working to pit the two even more off each other. Take them both down a peg or two. And maybe the entire Drow thing wont last the theentire novel. Yeah, that's probably wishful thinking on my part.

Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2012 :  16:22:37  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's a drow on the cover? I thought it was some sort of undead lich dude.

<goes and takes a second look>

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2012 :  16:39:52  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi, all.
As there seemed to be so much consternation on the part of some scribes about this, I asked Ed directly about connections between ELMINSTER ENRAGED and the Rise of the Underdark, and here's his reply:

None whatsoever.
When plotting EE, I knew nothing about the Rise of the Underdark (which many not even have existed as a publisher-adopted idea back then). Wizards approved my novel plot, of course, but that doesn't mean the specific staff members doing the approving then are the same staffers guiding the Rise of the Underdark now.
If I was doing marketing, I would probably do just as they've done: play up Elminster becoming a drow. That doesn't mean that's really what the book is about. I've always been far more interested in the characters and their life-journeys than about uber-plot.
So while everyone will have an opinion on whether or not the Rise, or EE, are good or that what happens in them is "right" or "best" for the Realms, it would be wrong to see them as connected, in some sort of dark, half-hidden conspiracy.
Because I never do those. :}
As you yourself know, my good Hooded Lady, It's much more fun to do it all out in the open, and watch the shocked responses.

Ahem. Well, yes, so it is.
So saith Ed. And there you have it.
Whatever you think of the Rise or of El becoming a drow, the two are NOT connected/orchestrated. (And yes, Markustay, I think it might just have been a joke on Ed's part, on one level, while being a serious part of his book on the other. El the living ash is, after all, bodyhunting...)
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2012 :  16:50:09  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I haven't felt this much suspense since waiting to see who shot J.R.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2012 :  17:04:24  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm pretty sure I shot J.R.

I know I wanted to... still do. Bad enough he let a scantily clad harem girl call him 'master', the cad.

So this is not so much a case of Ed bowing before a corporate order, but rather someone liking his idea and taking it to the extreme.

That I can see - and understand - perfectly. I know Elminster has always had a fondness for drow (his tastes seem to lean toward 'the dark') - there is even a picture of him in a 'hot tub' with one somewhere (the original DotU, perhaps?)

I am sure Ed can't share any details, but has he now been made aware of the details of Rise, and weaving his own tale into that mega-plot? In other words, will they be complimentary, or will they be self-contained?

I think now that I know Rise may have grown out of one of his ideas, I'd prefer for them to sync-up (because if anyone should understand how all that 'Weave-stuff' should work, it is Ed Greenwood).

Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2012 :  17:07:12  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Whatever you think of the Rise or of El becoming a drow, the two are NOT connected/orchestrated.
I'll be wearing a smug smile all day, methinks.

Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2012 :  19:09:17  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's my speculation:

1. Greenwood comes up with plot involving Elminster possessing a drow. -> It's approved.
2. Dudes in office think, "let's run with this idea!" -> Early ideas for Rise of the Underdark.
3. Marketing gets involved, and Rise of the Underdark becomes a multi-crossover deal (novels, game, etc.)
4. Elminster might actually be doing drow-y stuff at the same time RotU is going on, which makes it -seem- connected.
5. Ultimately, it's all thematically related, even if it's not fully tied in to the plot. This makes marketing happy.

It reminds me of an older crossover event in Marvel Comics where a big "world event" was going on, but some comic titles were only peripherally involved. Like during the massacre of the Morlock mutants (long ago) in the tunnels, Power Pack actually went in and saved a few people. But Power Pack wasn't involved at all in the "main storyline" involving the massacre itself.

Female, 40-year DM of a homebrew-evolved 1E Realms, including a few added tidbits of 2E and 3E lore; played originally in AD&D, then in Rolemaster. Be a DM for your kids and grandkids, gaming is excellent for families!
Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2012 :  19:14:26  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Grenemyer

quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Whatever you think of the Rise or of El becoming a drow, the two are NOT connected/orchestrated.
I'll be wearing a smug smile all day, methinks.

And this is why you'll always be outside the community rather than a part of it. This constant, snide disdain of other scribes/fans is your one enduring characteristic.

Female, 40-year DM of a homebrew-evolved 1E Realms, including a few added tidbits of 2E and 3E lore; played originally in AD&D, then in Rolemaster. Be a DM for your kids and grandkids, gaming is excellent for families!
Go to Top of Page

Apex
Learned Scribe

USA
229 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2012 :  19:18:50  Show Profile  Visit Apex's Homepage Send Apex a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Realms might as well change its name to drowland considering how much influence this supposedly small population base seems to have on virtually every aspect of the world now. The drow have become an overused plot hook and I would be just as happy if they were permanently written out of the Realms.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2012 :  19:46:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And with all that aside, perhaps we can return to the topic?

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2012 :  19:53:34  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As for Elminster as a Drow:

I have no feeling on it any longer. I'm rather numb to the direction the Realms is going in...not antagonistic mind you; just a apathetic wait and see feeling I guess.

It did remind me of when I was having to portray Elminster to a party once. I tried to stick as closely to the attitude I had read about him in various sources, and the party was well pleased.

A month later when they returned to speak with Elminster again about a matter, they were very shocked that he seemed to act so much differently. One player even commented immediately "That isn't even close to how he acted before!"

I snugly nodded and said "You seem to be right."

The party went on their way and never brought it up again...not realizing that Lheo had been magically disguised as El who was away on desperate business.

I guess what I'm saying is: how in the hells can anyone know what to expect of the old fella? It isn't like his life lends itself to "normal" behavior.

EDIT: get typing too fast and "Smug" becomes "Snug"...I think I'll leave it as a lesson to myself.

Edited by - Dalor Darden on 11 May 2012 06:09:21
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3737 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2012 :  19:57:42  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Therise

2. Dudes in office think, "let's run with this idea!" -> Early ideas for Rise of the Underdark.

-Seemingly, you never have to tell them twice to involve lots of Drow stuff. But, hey, it still sells, so I guess when the wheel ain't broke...

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerûn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerûn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium

Edited by - Lord Karsus on 10 May 2012 19:58:04
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2012 :  21:13:26  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It doesn’t surprise me that Ed didn’t know about Rise of the Underdark. Sadly, Wizards of the Coast prefers to keep their freelancers ignorant of the big picture, even on projects where collaboration would be highly beneficial. Even as lead designer of Menzoberranzan, I was completely oblivious to Rise of the Underdark, and its associated adventure and novel content.

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2012 :  21:24:13  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brian R. James

Even as lead designer of Menzoberranzan, I was completely oblivious to Rise of the Underdark, and its associated adventure and novel content.

Ummm...well, that is silly!

It would have been better if you had been able to put something as simple as:

"The Drow Houses are quiet these days...for some reason not conducting nearly as much House to House intrigue and open war."

Something at least.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000