Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 caviar?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2012 :  19:47:16  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
i'm thinking this might be answered in one of the Volo's books or something, but if so i'm missing it.

is there a common word/phrase for caviar which is used in the various civilized Realms, or do we just call it fish eggs?

i would think there should be at least one word for it in each of several different languages, but at least a common translation would be useful.

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2012 :  23:25:30  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by xaeyruudh

i'm thinking this might be answered in one of the Volo's books or something, but if so i'm missing it.

is there a common word/phrase for caviar which is used in the various civilized Realms, or do we just call it fish eggs?

i would think there should be at least one word for it in each of several different languages, but at least a common translation would be useful.

Caviar is known in the Realms, harvested from sturgeon in the Lake of Mists, and popular in Murghom and Rashemen. I believe it's just called "roe", which is a common name for caviar in real life as well. Off the top of my head, I can't recall if there are any specific words for it in Faerun. But I'd expect you're right that each culture probably has a name for it (assuming it can be exported and maintained).

Female, 40-year DM of a homebrew-evolved 1E Realms, including a few added tidbits of 2E and 3E lore; played originally in AD&D, then in Rolemaster. Be a DM for your kids and grandkids, gaming is excellent for families!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2012 :  01:27:54  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Caviar is directly referenced in the Nightwatch in the Living City supplement and The Horde boxed set as well, which Therise refers to above.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

rjfras
Learned Scribe

261 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2012 :  03:21:00  Show Profile  Visit rjfras's Homepage Send rjfras a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In Volo's Guide to Waterdeep there is a mention of roe:

"and dine on biscuits spread with roe, shrimp, spiced silverfin, crab meat, or mint jelly (all 1 gp/platter). You can also"

Roe is also mentioned in Serpent Kingdoms:

"These pools are used to raise several rare kinds of freshwater fish whose roe is a gourmet delight throughout Faerūn. It is this product more than any other that has brought Lushpool its prosperity."

Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2012 :  13:22:09  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
excellent. thank you!

http://xaeyruudh.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000