Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 The 4e Forgotten Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Lady Swiftstrike Assassin
Seeker

73 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2012 :  07:31:06  Show Profile Send Lady Swiftstrike Assassin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That is the most inclusive, Dennis. Since 4e is the summation of all previous editions, to say one like "all" Realms iterations would be to say that one prefers 4e.

quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

3E and 4E. But since I can only vote one, I'd go with the latter. I like where the Realms is at right now...

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2012 :  07:42:57  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Acceptance and preference are not equal qualifiers. You're attempting to manipulate statements with false dichotomy.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Seeker

73 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2012 :  07:50:40  Show Profile Send Lady Swiftstrike Assassin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not. But you are certainly free to hold those views!

quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

Acceptance and preference are not equal qualifiers. You're attempting to manipulate statements with false dichotomy.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2012 :  08:02:55  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ah, I confess that I've never actually played the Baldur's Gate CRPGs. Would you consider VGtBG2 "canon" Realmslore, applicable to the tabletop setting?

It's written by Ed, so it's canon Realmslore. [And I recall him declaring as such, in a previous "Questions for Ed Greenwood" scroll.]

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2012 :  08:24:56  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
lol, well Ed's written many things (his Niflheim novels, for example) which are not Realmslore.

But I'll still accept this Volo's Guide as worthy of adding to my collection, since it comes highly recommended.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2012 :  09:10:24  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

lol, well Ed's written many things (his Niflheim novels, for example) which are not Realmslore.
Well, it's a Realms product written by Ed... so it's canon Ed/Relamslore.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2012 :  09:43:19  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lady Swiftstrike Assassin

That is the most inclusive, Dennis. Since 4e is the summation of all previous editions, to say one like "all" Realms iterations would be to say that one prefers 4e.

quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

3E and 4E. But since I can only vote one, I'd go with the latter. I like where the Realms is at right now...

Not necessarily. But I get your point.

My "ideal" Realms is a combination of everything I like about each edition, and a few additions here and there...

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

D-brane
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
140 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2012 :  08:24:36  Show Profile  Visit D-brane's Homepage Send D-brane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really think this poll should be a little more discriminatory with the choices of edition.

For example, I love the 2nd Edition Forgotten Realms purely for the lore. But I think the 4th Edition Realms offers greater campaign potential by resetting (not sure that's quite the right word for it) the overall world and almost starting over fresh.

So I'm tied between 2nd and 4th Edition.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence."
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2012 :  12:27:07  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

But I'll still accept this Volo's Guide as worthy of adding to my collection, since it comes highly recommended.

I have added Ed's Niflheim books to my Realms. They are my Dark Elves.

I hate D&D Drow with a passion.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Lady Shadowflame
Learned Scribe

115 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2012 :  12:52:04  Show Profile Send Lady Shadowflame a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hmmm... Nope! 4E retcons stuff. You can accept those retcons enough to like it while still not thinking it is the sum total of all things previously done - which it cannot be, due to the retcons.

Plus 'like' and 'prefer' are not the same.

Save a lizard... Ride a drow.
Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2012 :  14:17:58  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

I have Volo's Guides to ...
All Things Magical ()
Cormyr
Waterdeep ()
the Dalelands
the North
the Sword Coast

I'd never heard of Volo's Guide to Baldur's Gate (I or II) ... thanx, I shall add them to my shopping list forthwith!

There was no Volo's Guide to the first BG CRPG, beyond what was included in the gaming manuals for that game. The VGtBGII, however, was published as a supplement of sorts to the second game, and focused primarily on Amn, Tethyr, and some of the surrounding environs, though very briefly.

You can learn a little more, here:- http://www.candlekeep.com/bookshelf/products/11626.htm

Had no idea of that, I should have gotten that back in my BG2 hours of gaming, mmmm, feeling nostalgic right now, I think I'm gonna install a couple of BG games....

"If you are to truly understand, then you will need the contrast, not adherence to a single ideal." - Kreia
"I THINK I JUST HAD ANOTHER NEAR-RINCEWIND EXPERIENCE"- Discworld's Death frustrated after Rincewind scapes his grasp... again.
"I am death, come for thee" - Nimbul, from Baldur's Gate I just before being badly spanked
Sapientia sola libertas est
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4427 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2012 :  14:21:42  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lady Shadowflame

quote:

Hmmm... Nope! 4E retcons stuff. You can accept those retcons enough to like it while still not thinking it is the sum total of all things previously done - which it cannot be, due to the retcons.

Plus 'like' and 'prefer' are not the same.

Which is applied to 3E or 2E stuff (or was the Realms introduced during 2E's period?) as well. And I too think prefer and like are two different aspects. I like 3E and 3E-Forgotten Realms, but given the choice of 3E or 4E FR, I'd prefer 4E.
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2012 :  14:41:26  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

it is? Because Ed wrote it, or does it have some sneaky way of linking in to realms material?
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2012 :  15:07:48  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scererar

quote:

quote:

it is? Because Ed wrote it, or does it have some sneaky way of linking in to realms material?

Ed told me it was largely due to the fact that, like previous volumes in the Volo's Guide series, it provided detailed coverage on a portion of the Realms. It was about having less to do with the events of the CRPG, by instead providing more campaign material like a traditional Realms sourcebook.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2012 :  16:11:45  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've never played any of the Baldur's Gate games, and I'd still tell people to get Volo's Guide to Baldur's Gate II. I think the name was linked to the game to sell more books -- I've not seen anything in that book to make me think I needed to play that game to get more use out of the book. If the book even references game content, I'm not aware of it.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2012 :  16:51:48  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Volo's Guide to Baldur's Gate II really is just exactly like any other regular Volo Guide, it really doesn't help for playing the computer game (except for the fun factor of reading about various places). That said, it's immensely cool and helpful for playing the tabletop PnP Forgotten Realms in that region. BUT - as others have said - it has nothing to do with Baldur's Gate. It's really a guide to Athkatla and the surrounding region.

The Volo's Guide to Baldur's Gate "I" (which doesn't have the "I") is imbedded in the middle of the Baldur's Gate I game manual. Technically, it's not a separate book at all, it's just a section titled that way in the manual. It has several fun pages of lore about the region, written in typical Volo style, but then the manual ends with in-game spells, etc. Truth be told, it's not absolutely necessary to play the game either, unless you're completely brand new to computer RPGs.

Female, 40-year DM of a homebrew-evolved 1E Realms, including a few added tidbits of 2E and 3E lore; played originally in AD&D, then in Rolemaster. Be a DM for your kids and grandkids, gaming is excellent for families!
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2012 :  17:43:30  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
the fact that 2ed is winning doesnt suprise me.

mind you I could nit pick about all of them, but most would be rule gripes that were changed later on....

3e and 2e

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2012 :  00:55:49  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I've never played any of the Baldur's Gate games, and I'd still tell people to get Volo's Guide to Baldur's Gate II. I think the name was linked to the game to sell more books -- I've not seen anything in that book to make me think I needed to play that game to get more use out of the book. If the book even references game content, I'm not aware of it.

It doesn't reference the games to any specific degree. It's just what we've all come to expect from good and wholesome Realmslore written by Ed -- a sourcebook focusing on a particular region of the Realms which just also happens to be the setting for some popular CRPGs.

Go to Top of Page

MalariaMoon
Learned Scribe

324 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2012 :  01:06:14  Show Profile  Visit MalariaMoon's Homepage Send MalariaMoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd choose 2nd edition for the quality, depth and breadth of the lore, and 3.5 edition for the ruleset
Go to Top of Page

rjfras
Learned Scribe

261 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2012 :  02:35:45  Show Profile  Visit rjfras's Homepage Send rjfras a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm with MalariaMoon, I like the lore the best from 2nd edition, but use the 3.5 rules for whichever time frame our current game is in.
Go to Top of Page

rjfras
Learned Scribe

261 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2012 :  02:38:08  Show Profile  Visit rjfras's Homepage Send rjfras a Private Message  Reply with Quote
the poll would have been better if it had stated what they were looking for. do they want to know if people prefer the lore of one edition over the other or the rules because there is a big difference. I have not voted because I don't know which they are looking for.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2012 :  05:57:04  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rjfras

the poll would have been better if it had stated what they were looking for. do they want to know if people prefer the lore of one edition over the other or the rules because there is a big difference. I have not voted because I don't know which they are looking for.

Another excellent point. I myself find workable lore in every edition, but lorewise, my preferred edition is 2E. Rules-wise, 3.5 or Pathfinder, though I grew up in 2E and still think in 2E terms.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

MrHedgehog
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2012 :  06:58:58  Show Profile  Visit MrHedgehog's Homepage Send MrHedgehog a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like 4th edition rules better.
I don't like the changes to the Forgotten Realms they made.
But I can play 4th edition in the past or my own future that I construct myself.
Go to Top of Page

Ozreth
Learned Scribe

187 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2012 :  07:14:36  Show Profile  Visit Ozreth's Homepage Send Ozreth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Meh, I would have chosen both 2e and 3e but that wasn't an option, so I chose 2e.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2012 :  08:32:05  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This poll would likely produce very different results on the Wizards boards.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Matt James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2012 :  11:16:27  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Just like politics, it's all in where you get your samples from. Candlekeep is decidedly against content from 1470 DR+ (see, I didn't use an edition! ). This isn't to say everyone that visits here thinks the same--because they don't. But the overall negative demeanor towards 1470 DR+ is boldly contrasted against content prior.
Go to Top of Page

Seeker

73 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2012 :  12:25:50  Show Profile Send Lady Swiftstrike Assassin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hope that all the great content in the pipeline will change these views!

quote:
Originally posted by Matt James

quote:

Just like politics, it's all in where you get your samples from. Candlekeep is decidedly against content from 1470 DR+ (see, I didn't use an edition! ). This isn't to say everyone that visits here thinks the same--because they don't. But the overall negative demeanor towards 1470 DR+ is boldly contrasted against content prior.

Go to Top of Page

Imp
Learned Scribe

231 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2012 :  12:34:19  Show Profile Send Imp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why are you shouting?!
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2012 :  13:58:33  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Need to add 5E to the poll...

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2012 :  14:12:38  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

It's not released yet. So I don't see why it should be included.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000