Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 The Dictionary of Made-Up Languages
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2011 :  19:44:35  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
For my fellow language geeks, I would like to recommend a new book called A Dictionary of Made-Up Languages: From Adûnaic to Elvish, Zaum to Klingon, The Anwa (Real) Origins of Invented Lexicons by Stephen D. Rogers

I first saw a link to this book over on i09:
http://io9.com/5862397/how-to-organize-a-dictionary-of-made+up-languages

As this is exactly my kind of book, I was intrigued. So I ordered this book and got it in the mail yesterday. It's quite nice actually!

The cover and binding are attractive and sturdy. It's a hardback, but not ungainly in size, very readable. No dust-jacket, so it's very durable as well. It invites reading.

Has a nice page count. It's a survey of constructed languages, with emphasis on fictional languages, but also touches on the major auxiliary languages like Esperanto, Ido and Glosa. It has a page or two on each language with notes on who created it, what books or other sources the language can be found in, some philological facts about the language, its purpose and the creator. It usually has some sample vocabulary, a couple of basic points on the grammar, and maybe some sample sentences, or even a translation of the Babel text in a few cases. Most importantly it lists lots of web addresses where you can look up more detailed information for each language, should you want to learn more. In between the entries there are interesting quotes from linguists, philosophers and authors, as well as fun language facts.

In addition to the obligatory fantasy conlangs from Tolkien, to Leguin and Paolini, the book has entries from movies, TV, comics, role-playing games and video game worlds. Also lots of childrens' books. It's very current; even has a section on Dothraki (from Game of Thrones) and gives nods to David J. Peterson and the Language Creation Society.

I was struck that there were entries for a lot of languages that were never actual conlangs, like Babel-17 and other literary languages that weren't ever fleshed out by their authors, but only described obliquely as concepts in the novels they were introduced in. But I didn't mind their inclusion. It gives a sense of the allure of linguistics in fiction and what conlangs can do to help create strange cultures and ideas.

As a scholarly work, it's quite light. More of a pop-linguistics book. Very accessible and entertaining, but not very deep. I was slightly disappointed that the entries were so short, they are not encyclopedic, just a taste of each language, but then as I was reading it, it read quite fast and I realized it's certainly not boring and doesn't drag. So in that sense, it does it's job well: to give you a feel for the language, makes you want to know more, then whisks you on to the next one. But, as I said, it points you to web-pages where you can go to for more information, grammar and vocabulary and such, so on reflection I think it's very successful as a primer, an introduction to conlangs.

Overall, I was really pleased with the book. And I think where it might really shine is to attract new fans to linguistics. I would love to see this book in every school library. It's exactly the kind of book I would have thrilled to discover in high school or even elementary school--it would have blown me away. Not that it's a kids book at all, but I think it would be very engaging to smart kids with a fascination for language and alien cultures.

It would also be a very good introduction to languages for your friends, relatives, and fellow gamers. In fact, I think this would be an excellent Christmas or birthday gift for anyone in whom you would like to inspire an interest in or understanding of linguistics and languages as they relate to fantasy worlds and science fiction. And, it's actually quite a cheap price for such a nice book. Perfect for gifting at this time of year. I recommend it!

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2011 :  23:44:31  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very, very interesting.

I see this as a potential Christmas gift for myself.

Thanks for the heads-up, Gray.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2011 :  05:36:05  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Quite interesting, Gray. Thanks for sharing.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2011 :  22:49:14  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A couple of other things to recommend the book: it has a chapter about how to construct your own language.

There is also a short chapter about language games, including Pig Latin, Ubbi Dubbi, French Verlan, and other such games from around the world for mangling your mother tongue.

There's also a bibliography of sources and reference works; a glossary of linguistic terms; there's an extensive list of language creators, their works and languages associated with them; and a very, very comprehensive index of everything in the book.

All in all, I thought it was a very spiffy book!
Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2011 :  07:11:04  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I should mention that if you really want to construct a language for your campaign world, there is really no better sourcebook for it than The Language Construction Kit by Mark Rosenfelder.

Seriously, this book is thorough, helpful, comprehensive, interesting to read, and a fantastic introduction to linguistics to boot. Everyone who is remotely interested in crafting a fantasy or alien language of any kind should pick up this book. This is the very best book on the subject, nor is there really any other book like it out on the market. It's an essential sourcebook for every DM or Author's world-building toolbox.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2011 :  07:35:33  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gray Richardson

I should mention that if you really want to construct a language for your campaign world, there is really no better sourcebook for it than The Language Construction Kit by Mark Rosenfelder.
I purchased The Language Construction Kit some time ago. It's just finding the time to read it, as it's a fairly comprehensive work that I would imagine, demands most, if not all, the reader's attention.

[A luxury I can't afford at the moment, unfortunately.]

Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2011 :  09:43:07  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, I don't know about that. I have read through it in dribbles and drabs and find it's best digested in small chunks.

If you are working on creating a language, I think it would be fine to tackle small bits of the language one at a time and just read the chapter or section corresponding to whatever piece of the language you are working on at the moment. It's the best way to learn. You can't possibly learn it all in one go through.

So if you are working on the phonology of your language, read that bit of the book. Then move on to developing your lexicon and read that portion. Grammar, verbs, nouns, prepositions, and the more complicated bits, do them in whatever order fascinates you. You can "graze" from the book out of order too. Language building can be as fun and as complex as world-building, for those DM's who like such things.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2011 :  14:45:07  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've since been skimming through a few of the more complex sections on language construction, and I'm beginning to see what you mean.

From what briefly I've read, I'd even go as far as suggesting that you could take little bits from different sections, and use them to construct your own system for constructing a language.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2011 :  18:13:05  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I've since been skimming through a few of the more complex sections on language construction, and I'm beginning to see what you mean.

From what briefly I've read, I'd even go as far as suggesting that you could take little bits from different sections, and use them to construct your own system for constructing a language.

Isn't that recursive?

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2011 :  23:51:27  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Isn't that recursive?

I'm a programmer... recursion is always part of the process.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2011 :  00:51:40  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Self-modifying code/language recursion can be a headache.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2012 :  01:02:24  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Gray! I just ordered both books from Amazon.ca.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000