Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Lost 3rd Edition WotC web articles
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sarelle
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
508 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2011 :  14:32:50  Show Profile Send Sarelle a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I hope this request isn't too cheeky or in the wrong place. I used to frequent these boards a while ago, but I was on the receiving end of a devastating hard drive crash and all of D&D data and lore was amongst what was lost. I haven't been keeping up with developments in FR or D&D since, and have been pretty happy to avoid 4e.

I am now starting up a D&D campaign again with a couple of friends, and wanted to revisit some of the old WotC articles for campaign ideas. Of course the WotC website has removed pretty much all pre-4e content. I'm having trouble even remembering the names of the columns, other than the Realmslore one. But there was one in particularly where each week a new NPC was fleshed out statistically in 3 stages.

I was wondering if anyone had collected or downloaded or written up all the old 3e/3.5e Realmslore and/or general D&D columns from the old WotC website before they were removed, and if so, whether they'd be willing to email them to me?

If this is request inappropriate, please do let me know, Sage or mods! Thanks.

Chair of the The Rightful Return of Monster Deities to FR Society (RRMDFRS)

My character, drawn by Liodain: Sarelle / Sarelle (smaller)

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36781 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2011 :  19:10:34  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They're likely still on the WotC site -- they rarely remove content, they just shuffle it around without updating any links. It just takes some creativity, sometimes, to figure out where things got moved to.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2011 :  19:20:31  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Could the wayback machine help with this?

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7973 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2011 :  20:06:35  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Are you looking for this?

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2011 :  01:09:50  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seethyr

Could the wayback machine help with this?

Usually, that's the best option. But it can be difficult to properly and efficiently find stuff via the Wayback Machine because it's often so thorough.

I use it as a last resort, mostly. After I've checked through my voluminous archives, notebooks, and other forms of information-storage.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7973 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2011 :  02:05:02  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is also the REALMS-L archive, such as it is. Collating the data has taken me many hours and yielded far less useful lore than the haphazard mountain of data which yet remains unread. It also spans all editions, not only 3E.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

idilippy
Senior Scribe

USA
417 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2011 :  07:11:53  Show Profile Send idilippy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've got a link saved to the 3.5e archives and most of the Realms stuff that works. The archive is here: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/archives and from there you can go to any of the specific articles you want.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7973 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2011 :  08:30:19  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's the first and topmost link on my google search above ...

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Sarelle
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
508 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2011 :  10:43:59  Show Profile Send Sarelle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aah the great sage Google achieves what trawling through the Wizards of the Coast website could not. Yes, those are the archives I was looking for. Thanks very much Ayrik, and everyone else.

On a similar note, and I guess this is somewhat addressed to The Sage/Wooly Rupert, has Candlekeep ever made a full archive of all the tidbits of Realmslore that Ed Greenwood dispensed on the Candlekeep Forums? I used to keep a rather cumbersome saved Word document of lots of these, but it was another thing I lost years ago when the hard drive crashed.

Edited by - Sarelle on 11 Nov 2011 10:45:39
Go to Top of Page

Tyranthraxus
Senior Scribe

Netherlands
423 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2011 :  12:01:42  Show Profile  Visit Tyranthraxus's Homepage Send Tyranthraxus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sarelle

Aah the great sage Google achieves what trawling through the Wizards of the Coast website could not. Yes, those are the archives I was looking for. Thanks very much Ayrik, and everyone else.

On a similar note, and I guess this is somewhat addressed to The Sage/Wooly Rupert, has Candlekeep ever made a full archive of all the tidbits of Realmslore that Ed Greenwood dispensed on the Candlekeep Forums? I used to keep a rather cumbersome saved Word document of lots of these, but it was another thing I lost years ago when the hard drive crashed.

Be aware that some of the links of the WotC archive are dead (or misplaced).

I can't speak for the mods but IIRC THO's replies to the 'Ask Ed Greenwood' scroll are compiled as PDF format "hidden" on some bookshelf on the Candlekeep website, I haven't looked at them for a while so I could be wrong.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36781 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2011 :  18:03:36  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is a link to those archives in the Sage's signature.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2011 :  00:38:09  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

There is a link to those archives in the Sage's signature.

Wooly has the right of it.

And as I said on Facebook yesterday, I'm presently finishing up the 2010 file -- in between bouts of ferociously playing Skyrim, of course.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 12 Nov 2011 00:39:18
Go to Top of Page

Sarelle
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
508 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2011 :  13:27:23  Show Profile Send Sarelle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, great work. I'll download and have a thorough look through those.

That said, for some reason, I distinctly remembered one particular nugget of Realmslore Mr. Greenwood imparted on here - it was just a small paragraph about a legendary ancient serpent called "the Orm" or Worm or "Urm", or something like that, and however much I ctrl+F these in those pdfs, and Google it, I can't seem to relocate it. Was there perhaps another thread on the Candlekeep forums, aside from Questions for Ed Greenwood, where he posted bits of Realmslore?

It's ever such a small thing, so goodness know why it stuck in my mind and it's no big deal that I can't find it, but do any of you have any recollection of it?

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6648 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2011 :  00:29:15  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The reference to "Orm" was as I recall a reference to the Year of the Ormserpent in the Roll of Years and just exactly what an ormserpent was. If you do a search for "Roll of Years" you'll no doubt find what you are looking for.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36781 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2011 :  04:30:00  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

The reference to "Orm" was as I recall a reference to the Year of the Ormserpent in the Roll of Years and just exactly what an ormserpent was. If you do a search for "Roll of Years" you'll no doubt find what you are looking for.

-- George Krashos

Here's the references friend Krash had in mind:

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Asharak

Year of the Sad Orm, 243

I found this on Wiktionary :

Swedish
orm
1. (zoology) snake; a legless reptile of the suborder Serpentes

Good info, but that makes things weirder -- we have a Year of the Ormserpent already on there, so that makes it the year of the Snakeserpent.

Edit: Strike that.

quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Fair meeting once again, scribes! Thy Lady Hooded rides in with another reply from Ed, this time for the April 18th questions posed by Bakra, Lord of the Outlying Thread:

Hi, Bakra. Well, I can tell you that unless editing prunes these lore-mentions away, the forthcoming Serpent Kingdoms product will identify important events that befell during both the ‘Year of the Sighing Serpent’ (1289) and the ‘Year of the Ormserpent’ (1295), giving the usual cryptic hindsight reason behind the two year-names.
“Ormserpent” is a corruption of a “wormserpent,” and this is an old name for a naga. I can add something NOT mentioned in Serpent Kingdoms: that there once was a gigantic, unique reptile called THE Ormserpent (briefly worshipped in its own cult) that legend tells us was able to disgorge, after great agonies, “spawns” of 3-6 living creatures of all manner of other serpentine races (a maximum of 2 creatures out of such a spew being the same sort of creature), and that it would perish if it ever vomited forth another ormserpent. One tale also claims that a clan of very-long-lived, immune-to-all-poisons women of sinister intelligence and purpose, who can shapechange into various snake forms (from small to monstrous), are the “Daughters of the Ormserpent,” spewed out by it, one by one, on rare occasions.
This is old, old Realmslore from my personal scrolls, hitherto hidden even from the keenest scholars of Candlekeep, and it may or may not be more than mere legend.

Whew. Ask and ye shall receive, Bakra! WELL, now . . . Daughters of the Ormserpent, eh? I’ll have to investigate more fully, in our Realmsplay sessions, as to whether or not certain fell females might just be members of this clan. If, of course, it truly exists.
THO

Go to Top of Page

Sarelle
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
508 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2011 :  18:15:48  Show Profile Send Sarelle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You guys are amazing! That was exactly it, thanks so much!

Right, now to incorporate this into my campaign...

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000