Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Raumark
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Rhewtani
Senior Scribe

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2011 :  14:31:35  Show Profile Send Rhewtani a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Did Raumark commit suicide by jumping into a disintegrating whirlwind? That seemed to be what I was reading in the Temptation of Elminster, but by then I was so confused, that I am not really sure.

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2011 :  15:09:52  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Here's the scene from The Temptation of Elminster:

quote:
The dying Azuth swirled away, and out of the stars that had been his blood strode a man El knew from memories not his own, spell-shared with him once in Myth Drannor. It was Raumark, a sorcerer-king of Netheril who'd survived the fall of that decadent realm to become one of the founders of Halruaa. Raumark the Mighty stood alone in a hall of stout white pillars and vast echoing spaces, at the top of a high dais, and his face was both pale and grim.

Carefully he cast a spinning whorl of disintegration, testing it by dragging it through one of the giant pillars. The ceiling sagged as the top of the sheered-off pillar fell away into heavy crashing shards to the unseen floor below. Raumark watched the collapse, stone-faced, and brought the whorl back to spin in front of him, just beyond the lip of the dais.

He nodded down at it, as if satisfied...and jumped through it.

The scene died with Raumark, to be replaced by a view of a dusty tomb..

I don't think he committed suicide. Most Netherese archwizards were selfish. Suicide had never been part of their vocabulary. Besides, I don't see any reason why he would do so. You can ask Ed himself, though.

Every beginning has an end.

Edited by - Dennis on 04 Nov 2011 15:14:55
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2011 :  21:21:51  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Because the Netherease that fled to Halruaa were smarter then the rest, and did not want history to repeat itself.

What I got out of that scene was that Raumark wanted to make sure certain knowledge died with him, PERMANENTLY.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 04 Nov 2011 21:22:09
Go to Top of Page

Dark Wizard
Senior Scribe

USA
830 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2011 :  21:59:21  Show Profile Send Dark Wizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
[Rant]

That's the thing with the current "Netherese this, Netherese that" hoopla.

From reading older fiction and lore (by Ed or like-minded authors and designers), Netheril and the Netherese seemed a far more complex set of characters and entities (yet still with mystery to them) than the modern published Realms tends to portray them.

There was hubris certainly, but there was also a wide range from folly to pride to guilt and a sense of loss. In short there was humanity about them, for a time the Netherese shone bright, ambitious, lively, dangerous and even inhumanly off-kilter at times. It wasn't just black or white or even simply gray. It was both good and bad and that wonderful mess in the middle, a spectrum both discrete, intertwined, and blended.

All this was relayed with just a few pieces of lore, a few mentions of one archwizard here or there, how they lived and how they died.

It might just be me, but ask me what the Netherese are about now... I have no idea. They're shadowing supervillains I guess. It's kind of sad the vast variety of the Netherese is shade-washed by the dark shiny of the Netherese as they're advertised now.

[/Rant]
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2011 :  22:46:54  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

It's a "transformation" that while not completely agreeable, I still like.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2021 :  03:52:52  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Senior Scribe Dark Wizard,

Wow... great post. The way you brought the complexities of humanity into the Netherese, absent the narrative of a novel, made it seem so real, and sorrowful, in a succinct way. I enjoyed that read. Thanks.

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2378 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2021 :  23:26:05  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe, maybe not. From the scene itself, it's not conclusive.
One reason for why not is that this looks like ludicrous overkill.
There are simpler ways to die quickly, and some even would destroy the body.
Starting with plain old disintegration beam without an extra fancy spin on it.
So...
A. If it obliterates inanimate stone when moving sideways, it may or may not be fatal for a prepared wizard entering along the axis.
Could be some sort of an artificial elemental vortex, for one.
B. It destroyed his body, exactly like it seemed to do. However, destroying one's body doesn't necessarily equal death in the usual sense when archmages are involved.
Being a lichnee is the most obvious and (in)famous option, but there can always be other paths to sort-of-immortality. Including experimental ones. Including failed experiments.
C. Or it was indeed a "plain" suicide, no twists. Maybe he had good reasons (whether valid or pure product of paranoia) to not wait for the natural causes.
Maybe out of pride or fear, to avoid senility and/or other troubles coming with great age.
Maybe he wanted to avoid prospect of mind control or a sufficiently nasty curse he failed to break.
Maybe he was dying anyway, and wanted to make sure not a tiniest piece of his body can be recovered for necromantic uses.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2021 :  00:59:28  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well of course he suicided. That whole part of the book was about the burden of being a Chosen and how it wasn't all rainbows and unicorns. I've always seen the Chosen as Mystra's prize stable of top racehorses. Yes, you look after them and lavish them with all the care and pampering they need to succeed, but you also push them hard to achieve the results you want. Along the way, some will fail - and be disposed of - and others will not meet expectations - and again be discarded or "put out to pasture". The top ones will be lauded and given everything, and the rest ... won't.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2021 :  02:43:46  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Krashos and Great Reader TBeholder,

I concur with your outlook on the issue Master Krashos. No disrespect to your viewpoint Great Reader TBeholder.

I think Mystra pushes hard, knowing that at times stuff can get crazy, but let's it go, because she wants to push the boundaries. Magisters and Chosen are like diapers at times if they don't pull their weight. Rough duty: play hard, win hard, but play stupid games, win stupid prizes too.

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2021 :  07:36:36  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wonder what incriminating evidence he had on Hillary Clinton...

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 16 Apr 2021 07:36:59
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2021 :  10:42:48  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Keep the real-world politics elsewhere, please.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2021 :  12:25:02  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Was Raumark a chosen then, or trying to be one, not got that far in the novels yet

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2021 :  15:37:06  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gary Dallison

Was Raumark a chosen then, or trying to be one, not got that far in the novels yet

It's implied that he is.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2021 :  16:04:00  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2378 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2021 :  09:56:30  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Well of course he suicided. That whole part of the book was about the burden of being a Chosen and how it wasn't all rainbows and unicorns.

It's the most obvious answer.
But recklessness because he just doesn't care anymore fits too.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000