Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Spellplague: What happens to clerics of Mystra?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2021 :  22:07:45  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TheIriaeban

What has been said about Halruaa? I know that it wasn't destroyed, just moved to Abeir. If Halruaa has returned intact, that may mean that Mt. Talath is still there, too. That could be the only temple left to Mystra.

I don’t think we’ve seen any official material on post-Second Sundering Halruaa. That temple was super twisted and scary during the 4e era, if I recall.

4e fangirl. Here to queer up the Realms.
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4426 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2021 :  22:43:57  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

What has been said about Halruaa? I know that it wasn't destroyed, just moved to Abeir. If Halruaa has returned intact, that may mean that Mt. Talath is still there, too. That could be the only temple left to Mystra.

Parts were removed, some parts stayed and became a strongly infested Plaguechanged land. One LFR Adventure I did (players were roughly 11th, 12th level) was delving into the wreckage of one of the jungles to help find materials to repair the Skyships of the Five Companies. You have to travel to the area known as Rethild and into the city of Ilimar, a former Sarrukh settlement that was reclaimed by the lizardfolk of Rethild.

I'm pretty certain it's not an offical / Canon adventure, but certianly paints a desolate picture of Halruaan landscape circa 1479-1480s DR. The second sundering was supposed to help usher in Halruaa into the new era, but not much else has been said.
Go to Top of Page

Matt James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2021 :  02:28:17  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hindsight and all, WotC stopped being an actual game company back around the time 4e came about. It was morphed into a marketing firm. Brand managers, and product owners. Along with this came the elements that (in their eyes) necessitated the destruction of the canon Realms.

Calling it now; it's an easy enough win to create circumstances whereby a ret-con is not actually needed--rather parallel timelines though time paradox (as already covered here).

It's painful to say, and I'll try to duck from flying objects hurled at me, but there just wasn't a large-enough group of folks like us that necessitated said continuity.

Bob has no reason to rock that boat, and never has had the need. You can't blame the guy. He owes his entire livelihood to playing it straight--as will future generations of his family.
Go to Top of Page

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2021 :  03:22:54  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Matt James

Hindsight and all, WotC stopped being an actual game company back around the time 4e came about. It was morphed into a marketing firm. Brand managers, and product owners.

Chalk this up to Hasbro more than anything else.

(Also, lots of game design happened in the 4e era! Material you don’t like is not the same as a lack of content.)

4e fangirl. Here to queer up the Realms.
Go to Top of Page

Matt James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2021 :  04:01:39  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm probably one the least anti 4e folks here ;)
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2021 :  16:02:17  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Given the stated purpose of the Second Sundering to reset things back to where they were pre-Spellplague, I am willing to believe that Mt. Talath and it's contents are there in at least some manner. As for the worship of Mystra, I am even willing to give that a possibility. The reason for the temple's existence was to collect and preserve information about magic incase something happened. Well, it did. I don't see that completely removing their worship of Mystra since the possibility of her disappearance was likely included in the faith (since something has happened to her at least twice before).

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

My FR writeups - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/um3liz6tqsf5n/Documents
Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
889 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2021 :  17:14:59  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I was one of those people in 2008 and 2009 who viscerally despised 4e. Thanks to the efforts of scribes like Diffan and Keftiu, I foreswore my hatred of 4e. I speak only for myself, but I find it hard to believe I am the only one who moved on.

It does not mean I abandoned rather serious disagreements with that edition. But I understand and honor the intention to rein in the shenanigans caused in 3.x editions, not least caster vs non-caster discrepancies.
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4426 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2021 :  23:31:37  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Delnyn

quote:

I was one of those people in 2008 and 2009 who viscerally despised 4e. Thanks to the efforts of scribes like Diffan and Keftiu, I foreswore my hatred of 4e. I speak only for myself, but I find it hard to believe I am the only one who moved on.

It does not mean I abandoned rather serious disagreements with that edition. But I understand and honor the intention to rein in the shenanigans caused in 3.x editions, not least caster vs non-caster discrepancies.

I thank you kind sir . I'm glad all the pro-4e rhetoric got to some people in a positive way!
Go to Top of Page

Eldacar
Senior Scribe

438 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2021 :  14:10:24  Show Profile Send Eldacar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Given the stated purpose of the Second Sundering to reset things back to where they were pre-Spellplague, I am willing to believe that Mt. Talath and it's contents are there in at least some manner.

Probably still in the process of being rebuilt by new converts; as of the SCAG, the returned Halruaans are busy sending scouts and skyships out to find out what the hell has happened while they go through the long, fraught, and rocky process of reconstructing their entire nation. That kind of damage can't simply be papered over. But that just makes it good for the ground floor thing I remember mentioning. Halruaa would make for a very useful adventure location, really. It's ripe for the picking by player characters.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000