Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Illithid as a PC
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Aryalómë
Senior Scribe

USA
666 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2011 :  23:19:10  Show Profile Send Aryalómë a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Any idea about going on with this? I find them incredibly interesting. Does anyone know of any Illithid settlements in the Underdark?

Eltheron
Senior Scribe

740 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2011 :  00:59:33  Show Profile Send Eltheron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's an intriguing idea to be sure. The only thing I'd worry about is where you'd get motivation to help other beings as a typical adventurer usually does. Illithids tend to be pretty alien in their thoughts, and in how they organize societies, not to mention thinking of most other beings as "lesser" things worthy only of being food or slave labor.

Perhaps go with a unique illithid, one that is either a "throwback" or an advancement in illithid evolution, where the mutant (your character) can care about individuals, personal development, and other sentient beings. Or at least one that doesn't rely on the illithid community for safety/power, and has no need (or a limited desire) to connect to an elder hive brain.

"The very best possible post-fourteenth-century Realms lets down those who love the specific, detailed social, political and magical situation, with its thousands of characters, developed over forty years, and want to learn more about it; and those who'd be open to a new one with equal depth, which there just isn't time to re-produce; and those repelled, some past the point of no return, by the bad-taste-and-plausibility gap of things done to the world when its guardianship was less careful."
--Faraer
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2011 :  01:30:07  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would seek out a copy of the 2e The Illithiad tome. It has some respective info for illithid-characters that you may just find particularly useful.

As for illithid-settlements in the Underdark, there are indeed several referenced in both Drizzt Do'Urden's Guide to the Underdark and the 3e Underdark tome.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Kno
Senior Scribe

452 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2011 :  07:10:20  Show Profile Send Kno a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erendriel Durothil

Any idea about going on with this? I find them incredibly interesting. Does anyone know of any Illithid settlements in the Underdark?

Oryndoll.

Illithids are NPC's, Drizztillid is not an option, instead take heritage feats and prestige classes from Lords of Madness and the psionic books.

z455t
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2011 :  07:39:54  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with the Illithiad, there is just no better source for information about mind flayers. Having said that, there are likely all sorts of d20/OGL products which include illegal illithid clones, especially since they're ideal (even iconic) tentacled adversaries in any Cthulhu-horror-abomination sort of D&D gaming.

Scattered details about illithids can be found in almost every module or product involving the Gith races; illithids receive a fair amount of attention in Spelljammer lore, and even some special attention in Ravenloft lore, yet they are surprisingly sparse in Planescape lore.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 07 Jul 2011 07:46:39
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2011 :  08:37:33  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arik

Having said that, there are likely all sorts of d20/OGL products which include illegal illithid clones ...
Indeed. I've discussed content from one particular tome at length, previously, during prior illithid-based discussions here at Candlekeep. The book, titled Unveiled Masters: The Essential Guide to Mind Flayers, is published by Paradigm Concepts. It takes the core concept of the mind flayer race, and runs with it into completely new and unexpected territory.

Edited by - The Sage on 07 Jul 2011 08:38:43
Go to Top of Page

Farrel
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
239 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2011 :  13:24:31  Show Profile Send Farrel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've always loved Illithids.

There are a couple of examples of "non-conforming" Illithids in the realms that I can think of and they have both originated in Ch'Chitl.

1) Sangalor of the Secrets (LN Mind Flayer Cleric 11 of Oghma). Detailed in City of Splendors Campaign Guide; Skullport; Drizzt Do'Urden's Guide to the Underdark. An outcast from Ch'Chitl.

2) Nurr'Korzahg (LN Mind Flayer Wizard 7). Detailed in Underdark. A resident of Ch'Chitl but an Illithid that has grown ever more distant from its kin. It ponders what life would be like not dominating others and eating their brains.

Edited by - Farrel on 07 Jul 2011 13:25:39
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2011 :  15:58:25  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also, in the Complete Psionic, there is the Flayerspawn Psychic PRC, which is a very similar (IMO) analog for Psions as the Dragon Disciple PRC is for Sorcerers. There are also Illithid Heritage feats that allow to gain many Illithid abilities and features.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2011 :  17:35:37  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-I'll third checking out The Ilithiad, because it doesn't get better than that.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerûn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerûn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2011 :  00:11:53  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I toyed with the idea of a 'Flayer Monk as a PC, but decided twas better off in the realm of an NPC. Potentially broken. All of the sources already listed are great! I have them all.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page

Aryalómë
Senior Scribe

USA
666 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2011 :  21:38:30  Show Profile Send Aryalómë a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Uhm, I want to play an Illithid that really only cares for itself, so it's not terribly an Drizzt clone. But why not an Illithid that cares about other things? There's always an exception, otherwise where would Drizzt be?

Is it just me, or does anyone else think Illithids are beautiful, in their own alien way. (not as in romanticaly beautiful, but you catch my drift)
I tend to picture Illithids as more smooth as opposed to the rougher looking older ones.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2011 :  04:19:58  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Is it just me, or does anyone else think Illithids are beautiful, in their own alien way. (not as in romanticaly beautiful, but you catch my drift)

It's just you.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2011 :  05:30:57  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'd consider them beautiful purely on the basis of their inherent "alien" characteristics and natures. They're certainly a wonderfully physical expression of a creature type that isn't immediately acknowledged as "terrestial" by the humanoid brain.

And I admire their forms because of that.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2011 :  07:09:04  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like my illithids slimy, squirmy, gross, and very hungry, covered in repulsive strands of sticky ichor and unblinkingly glaring outward through sickening milky-white eyes. I want my players to experience the feel of jellyfish-like slime dripping off feverishly warm sandpaper, I want them to smell the nausea of seaweed left cooking in the sun, I want them to hear rasping wet noises as tentacles slither and wave about with no apparent purpose. The more disgustingly abhorrent, disturbingly humanlike, frighteningly alien, and hungrily intimidating the better. Imagine Davy Jones from Pirates of the Carribean, except with oversized dead-looking cataracts and his squirming tentacles wrapped around your face.

The beauty of illithids to me is similar to that of sharks, their form elegantly mirrors their function, I admire them only as perfectly refined predators instinctively capable of dangerously maleficent efficiency.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000