Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Software
 Neverwinter MMO/CO-OP Game.
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2013 :  15:06:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Yoss

Having played a couple more days now, 1) yeah, leveling is really quick-going. It's totally designed in typical mmo-fashion under the assumption "people hate to level," which I think is ridiculous, having never subscribed to the "endgame is the only game" mentality.

I hated to level, but I wasn't all about the endgame, either. I just liked being able to get to some of the higher-level areas -- in LotRO, in particular, some of the higher-level areas were a lot more fun than others. I loved the Eregion area, for example, but Lothlorien (two areas past that; one of the areas was Moria) was kind of boring (except for the fact that I was cleaning up on the extremely rare mithril flakes, there). I took two characters thru Moria -- with the first, I hated it. With the second, I had fun. When I had a third character ready for Moria, I stopped her and started a new one -- character 3 was an aggro magnet, and I didn't want to do Moria and get attacked every third step, with her.

Past Lothlorien was the Mirkwood, and I hated that. The area past that was fun, though...

So I get that leveling sucks (and some MMOs are worse than others, for that), but you can dislike leveling without being all about endgame.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Yoss
Learned Scribe

USA
259 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2013 :  05:58:49  Show Profile Send Yoss a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fair enough. Every game I've ever played, there have definitely been draggy levels. Quest areas that are absolutely horrible, where gettin from, say, 37 to 40 is pretty miserable. Right now, I have an infinite amount of hatred for questing on Hoth in swtor. Giant, barren ice desert makes for a good lore depiction, however boring as hell from a playing standpoint.
Go to Top of Page

Caladan Brood
Senior Scribe

Norway
410 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2013 :  08:20:33  Show Profile  Visit Caladan Brood's Homepage Send Caladan Brood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aw now I got all nostalgic about LOTRo which I played from release until it became F2P. So many sweet places to visit, small enjoyable scenic areas of beauty as well as grander, epic locations. I loved playing Morvingien Laurelissuin, guild officer who enjoyed gathering in pne of the taverns for Tolkien Quiz (with ingame prizes). But yeah some areas felt like a chore particularly the region around Amon Sul. Npw I feel like starting a new character just to revisit. If only MMOs could offer extra hours in the day as a feature..
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2013 :  14:43:24  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Caladan Brood

Aw now I got all nostalgic about LOTRo which I played from release until it became F2P. So many sweet places to visit, small enjoyable scenic areas of beauty as well as grander, epic locations. I loved playing Morvingien Laurelissuin, guild officer who enjoyed gathering in pne of the taverns for Tolkien Quiz (with ingame prizes). But yeah some areas felt like a chore particularly the region around Amon Sul. Npw I feel like starting a new character just to revisit. If only MMOs could offer extra hours in the day as a feature..

Oh, I know! I'd love to keep playing... Especially since my second hunter rocks so much harder than the first. The first one was the first LotRO character I leveled, so it was rough going with her... With the second one, I know what I'm doing. And the first one had to rely on drops for all her goodies -- with the second one, I've got Supreme Master crafters, Kindred with their guilds, to give him pots, armor, tools, and melee weapons, and I was working a woodcrafter to give him good bows. There was a huge difference between how well the two played -- areas that the first hunter had problems with, the second hunter breezed through.

With the first hunter, I'd actually wondered why people liked hunters so much and why they thought hunters were more capable than mine was!

The only thing I didn't really like with LotRO was that there were no character classes that there were good but not great at both melee and range. The hunter had a few melee options, but was all about range. And the rogue and guardian were good up close, but only had a single option for range. I wanted a class equally comfortable with both... Oddly, the runekeeper was a class that was good at any range, though ranged combat was better.

I've been fiddling with making a group of NPC adventurers in the Realms, all based on my LotRO toons (and one of my wife's toons). I'll have to rename the runekeeper and tweak a couple of the others to better fit D&D classes, but I'm liking the idea.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 19 May 2013 14:51:23
Go to Top of Page

doctorbadwolf
Acolyte

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2013 :  21:02:52  Show Profile Send doctorbadwolf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, Lotro has a mixed range class now, if you're willing to spend 10 bucks (or whatever it is, I don't remember now). The Warden is a really fun class to play.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2013 :  05:38:07  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by doctorbadwolf

Well, Lotro has a mixed range class now, if you're willing to spend 10 bucks (or whatever it is, I don't remember now). The Warden is a really fun class to play.

From what I heard about the Warden, though, they are all about combos, and you can be really screwed if you get a combo wrong or pick the wrong one at the wrong time.

I just want a simple sword-swinger who is also handy with the bow. I don't want him to be tanking, and I don't want him to be artillery with some self-defense, I want something in the middle.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2013 :  03:24:16  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was tired of WoW this week so I decided to check this out. My cleric is kind of fun, it's the first character I made so far. The fighting/target system is kind of weird, I agree. I've also noticed that it's killing my wrist, trying to move, hit the abilities/healing, etc, since some of the boss mobs really pound the living holy hells out of you. The leveling has been fast though but I'm still kinda bummed with the setting since it's taking place in the Realms that I don't follow any longer. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2013 :  04:21:58  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

I was tired of WoW this week so I decided to check this out. My cleric is kind of fun, it's the first character I made so far.
Are you aligned to a particular deity?

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2013 :  17:44:48  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It seems every character has to choose a deity during char creation, so my cleric is Tymora's. :) But after posting that, I went and made me a Selunite wizard, which I'm liking a lot more.

That reminds me, has anyone from Candlekeep made some foundry adventures? Or has the interest for this game ended?

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

I was tired of WoW this week so I decided to check this out. My cleric is kind of fun, it's the first character I made so far.
Are you aligned to a particular deity?

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Edited by - Kuje on 24 Jun 2013 17:45:59
Go to Top of Page

Bionic Man
Acolyte

39 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2013 :  00:49:43  Show Profile Send Bionic Man a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Happy to hear the love for lotro here. That game is my favorite mmo by far.

It's a ::rolls dice:: pleasure to meet you!
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2013 :  04:44:28  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Foundry quests are on my to-do list, but getting to it might rival our dear Sage. :-) I just made level 60 awhile back, and I've been thoroughly enjoying myself. The quests have been fun, and it's the Realms, not Eberron, so I've been joyously swimming in little details hidden all over the place. There are even a few nods to Candlekeep in-game. There's a quest to find a book from Candlekeep in the Whispering Caverns (level 50-something) and I seem to recall a few books you can find that make a few references here and there.
I'm playing a Trickster Rogue on a free account, haven't spent a dime of real money since I started in open beta, and I don't feel like I'm missing out. (Though if anyone wants to give Delwa on Beholder a key to a Nightmare lock box, he won't turn it down.)
The powers and feats are easy to get lost in selecting, but I've never played 4E and seem to have done well in my selections. Just read carefully before you choose. My only big complaint is the lag in The main part of the City, Protector's Enclave, but even that has been getting better.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

Aulduron
Learned Scribe

USA
343 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2013 :  18:10:58  Show Profile Send Aulduron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I started playing about 10 days ago, and I'm about 53rd level (wizard). 60 is the cap? I'd rather play a 1 person version, but so far I've only had to group up a few times. My biggest complaint is that I've had to re-install it three times so far, because I couldn't log in.

"Those with talent become wizards, Those without talent spend their lives praying for it"

-Procopio Septus
Go to Top of Page

Sorgrim
Acolyte

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2013 :  15:15:54  Show Profile Send Sorgrim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Made my dwarven control wizard a while ago, related distantly to my NWN character.

Linear, typical, bombastic and themeparky, the storyline isn't anything to write home for, but the Foundry, like the others here, interests me the most. I'm sure we'll be seeing people remake some classic DND RPG locations, hopefully some original content that really encompass their own vision and make locations we've never seen before come to life.

I'm on Mindflayer, now I just need to seek a roleplaying guild!

"By the clocks of Neverwinter!"
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2013 :  01:21:53  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The new "expansion" for this came out this week. It gives the option of playing as a sun elf or a dark elf, plus some other features. Just wanted to let people know if they still play this, I got bored of it within two weeks so haven't really played since I got to 60 a few days after my last post about the game.

Edited by - Kuje on 26 Aug 2013 01:26:06
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2013 :  01:40:11  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm still playing on Beholder. I've really enjoyed the new Campaign System. It gives me something to do solo at level 60 other than Foundry and Gauntlgrym. I do mainly play for the story and lore, and I'm on at random times due to work schedule, but feel free to look me up @delwacandlekeep.

- Delwa Aunglor

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

Caladan Brood
Senior Scribe

Norway
410 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2013 :  13:24:30  Show Profile  Visit Caladan Brood's Homepage Send Caladan Brood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The new "expansion" for this came out this week. It gives the option of playing as a sun elf or a dark elf, plus some other features. Just wanted to let people know if they still play this, I got bored of it within two weeks so haven't really played since I got to 60 a few days after my last post about the game.

I believe its Sun Elf and Moon Elf, the drow are still suspiciously absent. Also, unless I read an article entirely wrong, you have to pay to unlock these new races.

Still no new classes, a very intrusive cash shop and linearity on par with an early 90s dungeon crawler but with none of the charm, I am thoroughly done with Neverwinter, regretting every dollar I spent on the "Guardian" pack.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2013 :  18:18:09  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Caladan Brood

I believe its Sun Elf and Moon Elf, the drow are still suspiciously absent. Also, unless I read an article entirely wrong, you have to pay to unlock these new races.

Still no new classes, a very intrusive cash shop and linearity on par with an early 90s dungeon crawler but with none of the charm, I am thoroughly done with Neverwinter, regretting every dollar I spent on the "Guardian" pack.

Oh do you? It looked to me like they were included in the update without paying for them since they're listed as some of the new features. I could be wrong as well, I stopped playing for pretty much the same reasons you did. Maybe I'll go back if they make some new classes, I didn't care for the ones that are there already but I stuck through it with a mage.

Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2013 :  20:13:01  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You can play the drow and sun elf free. However, the free drow as I understand is not the same as the drow you pay for. Moon elf you pay for. No new classes yet.

- Delwa Aunglor

Go to Top of Page

pcgneurotic
Acolyte

Poland
18 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2014 :  22:34:59  Show Profile Send pcgneurotic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello August 2013, January 2014 here. :D Was wondering if anyone still plays NW. Is the CK guild still active too?
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2014 :  02:33:14  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As soon as I get my computer fixed, I still play. Not sure about the Guild, though.

- Delwa Aunglor

Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2014 :  17:51:42  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just started playing a week ago but honestly I much prefer Star Trek Online. Didn't know there was a Candlekeep guild. Might look it up.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

pcgneurotic
Acolyte

Poland
18 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2014 :  08:10:47  Show Profile Send pcgneurotic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hashimashadoo

I just started playing a week ago but honestly I much prefer Star Trek Online. Didn't know there was a Candlekeep guild. Might look it up.

Yes, I love me some STO. Star Trek is my other great passion, so having both games made by the same company is awfully convenient. :D
Go to Top of Page

Euranna
Learned Scribe

USA
219 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2014 :  21:44:07  Show Profile Send Euranna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I currently have 2 epic characters. Tiefling CW and Moon Elf DC.
I still love the game and more than likely will start either Hunter Ranger or a GWF soon. :)
Go to Top of Page

pcgneurotic
Acolyte

Poland
18 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2014 :  22:56:21  Show Profile Send pcgneurotic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a GWF as my main, and he's really super. Late 30s/early 40s are a bit slow, but then he really takes off and the trip to mid-50s goes very smoothly before slowing down again. The Hunter Rangers are brilliant too. It's so much fun dropping groups of trash mobs before they even get half way to you. :D
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2014 :  13:10:36  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Got me a Devoted Cleric. Only level 12 but people like to have a healer in their party. Couldn't find a Candlekeep guild though.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2014 :  18:04:49  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They announced the next expansion today, which is going to involve Icewind Dale.

Go to Top of Page

pcgneurotic
Acolyte

Poland
18 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2014 :  20:54:47  Show Profile Send pcgneurotic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Part of the official spiel, describing the new zones:

"Icewind Dale
This iconic region has been recreated in Neverwinter, after being the primary location of multiple R.A. Salvatore novels, as well as multiple other video games.

Caer-Konig
This new zone is a small fishing town in Icewind Dale, a staging point for those seeking black ice, and the neutral ground in the growing conflict between the Ten-Towners and Arcane Brotherhood. It will serve as the main social hub for all Icewind Dale activities.

Icewind Pass
This treacherous pass is one of the two new zones that will offer both PvP and PvE content to players.

Dwarven Valley
This expansive valley is the second of the two new zones that will offer both PvP and PvE content to players.

Kessell's Retreat
Akar Kessel has returned and has fortified himself in a location high within Kelvin's Cairn, the mountain peak that overlooks all of Icewind Dale."

There's some shtick with 'black ice', which I am unfamiliar with, and sure as eggs is eggs we'll be fighting Kessell at the end of the trip. Also, looks like Ten Towns will become One Towns here. :D
http://community.arcgames.com/en/news/neverwinter/detail/3034893

Edited by - pcgneurotic on 04 Mar 2014 20:57:23
Go to Top of Page

Aulduron
Learned Scribe

USA
343 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2014 :  20:03:31  Show Profile Send Aulduron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They've just announced the next module: Tyranny of Dragons.

"Those with talent become wizards, Those without talent spend their lives praying for it"

-Procopio Septus

Edited by - Aulduron on 19 May 2014 20:03:47
Go to Top of Page

hobbitfan
Learned Scribe

USA
164 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2014 :  09:54:44  Show Profile Send hobbitfan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is there still a Candlekeep guild? If so, who do I need to talk to about joining up?

If not, would anyone be interested in joining me in starting one up?

Go to Top of Page

pcgneurotic
Acolyte

Poland
18 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2014 :  10:53:34  Show Profile Send pcgneurotic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hobbitfan

Is there still a Candlekeep guild? If so, who do I need to talk to about joining up?

If not, would anyone be interested in joining me in starting one up?

I don't know about a current guild - I would guess from some of the replies here that it's dormant somehow. So, two options present themselves:

1) The GM of the existing guild could log in and assign GM status to a more active player (or whatever the equivalent action is in NW), and that player could go about revitalising the guild, or

2) We could start from scratch. To do that, we need a full party of 5 to be gathered together in Protector's Enclave. One person does the paperwork (and thus becomes the guild owner/initial GM), and the other 4 are co-signatories to it. Once created, the other 4 can even leave the guild immediately, which is handy if we're short of CKers at the time.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000