Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Software
 Neverwinter MMO/CO-OP Game.
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2012 :  23:51:24  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
PAX is going on and Perfect World has released a few previews of this game but from what I'm reading, it won't be released till next year.

Blackdagger Keep: http://youtu.be/Isi4lsVj450

Official site: http://nw.perfectworld.com/

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 31 Aug 2012 23:52:59
Go to Top of Page

Ada
Acolyte

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2012 :  13:22:50  Show Profile Send Ada a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was just on the Perfect World website the other night and was reading up on the Neverwinter game (Just found out about it even though I have a Perfect World account ). I have played the other F2PMMO from PW (PWI is a F2PMMO) and it is just like DDO in every aspect except for area. Perfect World makes enormous worlds for players to play. I believe with the foundry tool, it will have a replay value to it. As far as additions, with DDO having people pay to get the additional content. PWI I did not have to purchase the additional content to play the game, it was automatically added in a massive update. But I have read all that there is out there I do believe and it is looking like another version of WOW. We will see come the 4th quarter of this year, they still intend on releasing it then.

Gul Ada Ruin - The Wizard Elf
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2013 :  20:07:43  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I guess I'm the only one that's really kept up on the news about this game but the open beta started today:

http://nw.perfectworld.com/

Edit: Ah, there's another thread about the game, I didn't look at that thread until now.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 08 Feb 2013 20:09:20
Go to Top of Page

Caladan Brood
Senior Scribe

Norway
410 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2013 :  22:15:59  Show Profile  Visit Caladan Brood's Homepage Send Caladan Brood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All right, I leveled my halfling Tobbin Topplehill up to eight tonight. I deeply regret throwing money at it just to get into the beta. The beta runs smoothly, that must be said; no problems logging in, no problems playing. It was the game itself that disappointed me. And not just a little. This is in no way a worthy successor to the Neverwinter Nights game. I was sold watching a vid of character creation, but the game itself feels like...I don't know, a better-looking browser game. I'm so angry with myself for falling into this travesty of a trap. I had to force myself to play up to that eighth level. It never really felt like I was playing D&D and it didn't really feel like the Forgotten Realms either. I believe a good group of roleplayers is absolutely essential to get something out of this game.
It's more 'Torchlight' and 'Diablo III' than 'Neverwinter Nights'. bah!
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2013 :  22:48:49  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You are already to level 8????!!!!

Yes, well; that is a bit fast for an RPG of any sort I'm aware of!

How long did that take?

On a side note...do computer game makers think players should earn ANYTHING these days? No offense to anyone in particular...but geeze!

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Caladan Brood
Senior Scribe

Norway
410 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2013 :  15:19:25  Show Profile  Visit Caladan Brood's Homepage Send Caladan Brood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To level eight was about two hours, tops. I guess the first levels are a breeze to entice the kidz. I played a little more today, the dungeons are varied and not that bad, but the RPG aspect is lost. This is an action game, fast and twitcy, and gazillions of kids running around to who the word 'lore' means nothing; a game where rolling your stats is either getting a 19 in your main attribute or 20. A game so ridiculously easy that I am actually provoked when people still don't have a clue. Best I can say about it so far is: Pretty good for casual manic clicking, works fine on low-end systems and. Uhh..
Go to Top of Page

Light
Learned Scribe

Australia
231 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2013 :  08:49:22  Show Profile Send Light a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Honestly this is how I expected it to be. I admit, I was not aware that it (the beta) was out already. I remember looking up a year or two ago to see if there was any upcoming computer RPGs for the Forgotten Realms. Now I am a big fan of games and I love the FR computer games too. I have most of them and I love most of them. When I saw that a realms game would be going online I knew it would be bad. Online games tend to be made to appeal to the masses, games like Baldur's Gate or Neverwinter Nights aren't mainstream.

It's like the Elder Scrolls: Online that will be coming out later this year. It will be bad and not a game that is really worthy of being set in a well-developed setting. It will be a long time until they can make online games with a well-crafted setting, filled with lore. For now the best they can seem to do is to get the basic elements of the game working: interface, combat, PvP, mission etc etc. Making an online RPG is a much greater undertaking than making a single-player where you don't need to work on PvP, PC interaction and all the other aspects that go towards making an MMORPG.

And as the poster above me has touched on: slow-leveling games tend to not sit well with people. In fact I remember on another forum about another game that is was stated that "big numbers" are proven to draw people in. Not many people want to play a game for 30 hours and be level 3. They want to to be level 30.

Sorry for the rant. I will still try this game if it is free-to-play once the non-beta (stable version?) is released just because it is The Realms.

"A true warrior needs no sword" - Thors (Vinland Saga)

Edited by - Light on 10 Feb 2013 08:52:50
Go to Top of Page

Caladan Brood
Senior Scribe

Norway
410 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2013 :  09:22:04  Show Profile  Visit Caladan Brood's Homepage Send Caladan Brood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It will be free to play. I purchased a so-called Founder's Pack to get into the beta. Incidentally once in game I did not receive any of the items I paid for. Maybe when the game is officially released. All your points are valid but there are RPGs in MMOs that I've enjoyed which provided a lot of good RPing possibilities and felt like living in a secondary world (Lord of the Rings Online, Star Wars Galaxies).
Go to Top of Page

doctorbadwolf
Acolyte

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2013 :  19:11:23  Show Profile Send doctorbadwolf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Light

Honestly this is how I expected it to be. I admit, I was not aware that it (the beta) was out already. I remember looking up a year or two ago to see if there was any upcoming computer RPGs for the Forgotten Realms. Now I am a big fan of games and I love the FR computer games too. I have most of them and I love most of them. When I saw that a realms game would be going online I knew it would be bad. Online games tend to be made to appeal to the masses, games like Baldur's Gate or Neverwinter Nights aren't mainstream.

It's like the Elder Scrolls: Online that will be coming out later this year. It will be bad and not a game that is really worthy of being set in a well-developed setting. It will be a long time until they can make online games with a well-crafted setting, filled with lore. For now the best they can seem to do is to get the basic elements of the game working: interface, combat, PvP, mission etc etc. Making an online RPG is a much greater undertaking than making a single-player where you don't need to work on PvP, PC interaction and all the other aspects that go towards making an MMORPG.

Nah, it's just not your kind of thing.

Everything I've seen from my video game geek peeps is positive, and the beta confirms their POV.

On the bright side for folks like you guys that are down on it, The Foundry is worth using even if you don't like the game. I'll be using it as a supplemental tool for my table games, probably, much less for it's intended purpose.
Go to Top of Page

Caladan Brood
Senior Scribe

Norway
410 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2013 :  20:31:39  Show Profile  Visit Caladan Brood's Homepage Send Caladan Brood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by doctorbadwolf

quote:
Originally posted by Light

Nah, it's just not your kind of thing.

Everything I've seen from my video game geek peeps is positive, and the beta confirms their POV.

On the bright side for folks like you guys that are down on it, The Foundry is worth using even if you don't like the game. I'll be using it as a supplemental tool for my table games, probably, much less for it's intended purpose.

This is what I've come to as well - I expected something closer to RPG than MMO kind of. I'm sure people can roleplay in the game, but it is really built for frenzied combat. I did a final run now before uninstalling, leveled to 14. Though there is a nice "lore" section in the quest journal, I never really felt like I was exploring and adventuring. Whenever I tried to talk to people, whether in-character or not, there were no responses. For a beta, it was very polished, and it's very quick and easy to log on/off, do a quick dungeon. It is much closer in feel and gameplay to "Daggerdale" than, say, "Neverwinter Nights", hence I'm out of the game.

There are a couple of good points about the game, like the varied designs of the different game zones (city districts), and I don't mean the design of "game space" but the look of buildings and stuff (aesthetics). It runs on lower-end machines. Music is okay.

I will have to continue to hope for a modern gold box game :) Imagine a game like, say, "Pool of Radiance" or "Curse of the Azure Bonds", done with today's computer power. Or better, imagine a Forgotten Realms online world that covered Faerūn, built specifically for players to immerse themselves as their characters, with player housing, adventure companies, lots of fluff, incorporated pen-and-paper modules, dungeons and other locales, where a first-level character could potentially stumble onto an encounter with too dangerous monsters, where player characters gather in taverns ... in short, a digital version of the pen-and-paper game. Possibly with Ed himself playing Elminster :)
Go to Top of Page

Lord Bane
Senior Scribe

Germany
479 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2013 :  23:13:55  Show Profile Send Lord Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Caladan Brood
Or better, imagine a Forgotten Realms online world that covered Faerūn, built specifically for players to immerse themselves as their characters, with player housing, adventure companies, lots of fluff, incorporated pen-and-paper modules, dungeons and other locales, where a first-level character could potentially stumble onto an encounter with too dangerous monsters, where player characters gather in taverns ... in short, a digital version of the pen-and-paper game. Possibly with Ed himself playing Elminster :)

I would be the banite then who tries to kill Elminster... sorry Ed!

The driving force in the multiverse is evil, for it forces good to act.
Go to Top of Page

doctorbadwolf
Acolyte

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2013 :  23:21:49  Show Profile Send doctorbadwolf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Caladan: That sounds interesting, but it's not what people are looking for from an mmorpg.

on the bright side, I can guarantee you, with absolutely no reservations, that there will be whole guilds dedicated to roleplaying in Neverwinter Online, and Cryptic will find some way to support them further.

Edited by - doctorbadwolf on 11 Feb 2013 23:22:20
Go to Top of Page

Tamsar
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
141 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2013 :  20:46:02  Show Profile Send Tamsar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

It will be free to play. I purchased a so-called Founder's Pack to get into the beta. Incidentally once in game I did not receive any of the items I paid for. Maybe when the game is officially released. All your points are valid but there are RPGs in MMOs that I've enjoyed which provided a lot of good RPing possibilities and felt like living in a secondary world (Lord of the Rings Online, Star Wars Galaxies).

Caladan this is a quote from the FAQ

When will I receive my Neverwinter Founder's Pack items?

You will receive a select number of items from the pack(s) you purchased immediately when you log in to play during a Beta Weekend event. This provides an opportunity to try out these items and show them off to players in the Forgotten Realms. When Neverwinter launches, you will receive all items from the pack(s) you purchased to enjoy!

I'll give it a whirl when it comes out, looks fun. And it's not like it's going to cost me anything.

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4425 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2013 :  01:00:53  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just saw the preview of both the Fighter and Wizard and I'm sold. I, for one, like fast combat RPGs and this seems to deliver. I think it appeals to that particular style of play instead of the turn-based RPGs like Neverwinter Nights. It's like expecting The Force Unleashed to play like Knights of the Old Republic, just totally different game styles.

So I'm really excited for this MMO. I dropped WoW so long ago that I think getting back into it would be a lot of fun, especially with a setting like the Forgotten Realms. Besides, I've got Baldurs's Gate Enhanced to scratch the "classic RPGs" itch.
Go to Top of Page

Caladan Brood
Senior Scribe

Norway
410 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2013 :  07:52:43  Show Profile  Visit Caladan Brood's Homepage Send Caladan Brood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There was a second beta weekend. I played two minutes, lol. I *want* to like it but I just can't. I guess I have to make my own MMO to get what I'm dreaming of: a game that emulates, say, AD&D to the last optional rule from the Player's Handbook and Dungeon Master Guide, wrapped in the coating of Forgotten Realms with huge zones like the Moonsea, the Sword Coast, the North, Thay, etc.
Go to Top of Page

Ada
Acolyte

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2013 :  08:43:41  Show Profile Send Ada a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you want to try out Neverwinter before it is released, you can always check out their Facebook post. Just type in Neverwinter into the search box on the top and will direct you to their page. From there, for the third beta weekend, you can sign up at select providers for a free code for this weekend’s closed beta weekend. I have been watching this game for a while now and I must say I am impressed by the game and really looking forward to playing the closed beta this weekend. I will submit my review of it after I play it, but I like the faster paced MMORPG's, so expect it to be biased on that front. If anyone is interested, I will be creating am looking at creating a guild for the game and if you are interested. Please feel free to message me and I will submit you the details once I have finished them up.

Gul Ada Ruin - The Wizard Elf
Go to Top of Page

doctorbadwolf
Acolyte

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2013 :  10:12:45  Show Profile Send doctorbadwolf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

There was a second beta weekend. I played two minutes, lol. I *want* to like it but I just can't. I guess I have to make my own MMO to get what I'm dreaming of: a game that emulates, say, AD&D to the last optional rule from the Player's Handbook and Dungeon Master Guide, wrapped in the coating of Forgotten Realms with huge zones like the Moonsea, the Sword Coast, the North, Thay, etc.

As cool as that might be, yeah, you'd probably have to build it yourself. For good or ill, there'd be a really small market for such a game. Even just an mmo that's turned based would difficult to do in a way that's any fun, I imagine. I mean, it might play like a final fantasy game, I suppose.
Go to Top of Page

Caladan Brood
Senior Scribe

Norway
410 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2013 :  22:56:47  Show Profile  Visit Caladan Brood's Homepage Send Caladan Brood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm still sour about the game but I jumped back in today to claim my founder stuff. Are we still setting up a guild? It goes live (open beta) in a couple of days.
Go to Top of Page

doctorbadwolf
Acolyte

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2013 :  09:52:25  Show Profile Send doctorbadwolf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm up for it. I'll definitely be in there, anyway.
Go to Top of Page

Caladan Brood
Senior Scribe

Norway
410 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2013 :  10:04:45  Show Profile  Visit Caladan Brood's Homepage Send Caladan Brood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I went into the game again and I let the so-called quest tracker on, making the game so ridiculously easy that you aren't really required to do anything but keep your fingers on the move forward (W) key and click the mouse buttons for your primary and secondary attacks. I decided to go in with an open mind and take the game for what it is, and will continue to do this in the hope of meeting up with you fellows so we can get a proper RP guild going. I collected my founder's pack from the courier in Neverwinter, which includes a pet wolf which I thought was neat until I realized it for some reason has horns along the ridge of its back (I never knew the wolves of the Realms to have this?) and that everyone else is running around with one (obviously because its still the early beta for founders). I've made my own game out of spotting all the things that take me out of the D&D experience, but there are a few bright spots too for what it's worth - the scenery is nice, for example. Anyway, look me up when you come to Neverwinter. Currently playing a guardian modelled on Sandor Clegane aka the Hound (from George RR Martin's Ice & Fire). His name is Aghelm Shadowheart, of Baldur's Gate.

By the way, for folks like me who are weened on the Realms in AD&D, this sure is a game full of spoilers

Edited by - Caladan Brood on 28 Apr 2013 10:06:29
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2013 :  12:34:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've played games with and without quest trackers.... And I never thought the quest trackers made it ridiculously easy. Games without quest trackers I often found very frustrating, because some of the quest descriptions would be so ridiculously vague that you'd spend 30 minutes or more just trying to figure out where the right area was.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4425 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2013 :  13:38:02  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just saw previews for the Great Weapon Fighter and Rogue..........looks like a lot of fun. I'm not one for computer game Betas so anyone know when the game will actually launch?
Go to Top of Page

Caladan Brood
Senior Scribe

Norway
410 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2013 :  18:06:13  Show Profile  Visit Caladan Brood's Homepage Send Caladan Brood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The game launches on Tuesday I believe. I got into a PvP zone which was good fun, as well as a dungeon with a party. Also nice but no talking or enjoying the experience, just rushkill. Didn't really mind but how will people realize Aghelm Shadowheart is a mean piece of work? :p
Go to Top of Page

Caladan Brood
Senior Scribe

Norway
410 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2013 :  18:08:12  Show Profile  Visit Caladan Brood's Homepage Send Caladan Brood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
By the way, setting up a guild requires a group to be, well, grouped. From there it's just clicking a few buttons.
Go to Top of Page

doctorbadwolf
Acolyte

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2013 :  20:16:40  Show Profile Send doctorbadwolf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think the main thing to remember is that this is a video game that's made to be a fun video game, rather than a video game that was made to model DnD. It's set in a DnD setting, with roughly translated 4e/4e inspired mechanics (ish), but it's main goal is to appeal to fans that are more worried about the game being fun on it's own merits, rather than on how well it models DnD and FR.

That may just mean it's not for some fans.

Now, since everyone seems willing to give a good group try anyway, which is awesome btw, I recommend focusing on a good guild dynamic and The Foundry.

I guarantee you there will be some awesome fan made stuff in that thing.
Go to Top of Page

Brin
Acolyte

17 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2013 :  22:36:53  Show Profile  Visit Brin's Homepage Send Brin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've got a small guild setup on Mindflayer named 'The Flames of Ardor' if anyone wanted to join in on it. It's loosely based off of Brin a mortal who became a deity in my campaigns. We've got a mumble server as well for anyone who wants to chat. Honestly I am surprised you guys didn't make a Candlekeep guild yet.

Also on a side note, really early on in the game the Many Arrows orc tribe/nation attacks Neverwinter. Did this seem out of place or was there some hint that this was coming? Last time I read about them they were having some difficulties holding the nation together but it looked like it was going to work in the long-term.
Go to Top of Page

Kerrigan
Acolyte

Germany
31 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2013 :  09:32:10  Show Profile  Visit Kerrigan's Homepage Send Kerrigan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Im not a big fan of Mmorpgs, but I'm enjoying the Beta. Plus the Foubdry gibes us possibilities to design own FR-based quests!
Go to Top of Page

Yoss
Learned Scribe

USA
259 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2013 :  08:45:07  Show Profile Send Yoss a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm kinda digging it. Rolled a trickster rogue because I tend to gravitate toward stealth classes (while my buddy rolled a cleric, cos that's his thing). The Foundry system seems interesting to me, player-created content is not something I get out of TSW, SWTOR, (or WoW when I played it. I quit a while ago, well before those ridiculous pandas). Some of the combat mechanics are definitely taking some getting used to, the targeting system feels rather bizarre to me. And I'm not used to having so few attacks/buttons to press. But it's different than what I've been playing lately, and different is good. Only played for a couple hours at this point, so I haven't exactly done much past get the rogue to 10 and futz around on a control mage for a handful of levels. I'm a big fan of crafting, which I haven't had much a chance to look into yet, so we'll see...

Caladan Brood, you sound like the group of people on the SWTOR forums who basically wanted Kotor III. No offense intended, if that aspect is your thing, then that's perfectly fine. A lot of the gripes you seem to have equate to aspects about it that are not rpg enough. It's an mmo, the thing about that is, these days the rpg aspect of mmorpg has either been turned into a synonym for single-player, or been defined as a game where npcs give you quests, you go out and do them, there's little lore tidbits along the way, but they are not instrumental to the story. It's all about leveling up, getting to the "endgame content," and the social aspect/group content. You'll always find people RPing, and you do have the option of stopping to listen to what every npc has to say, reading every single quest/lore/dialog option, but this really just seems to follow the general current-day online fantasy/sci-fi game model, where that stuff is not necessary. Am I saying this is a good thing? No. I have a whole essay-long set of gripes about the WoWTOR (that would be me mocking how much Star Wars the Old Republic has copied World of Warcraft...get it? Wowtor?) "Endgame is the only game" mentality--and every time The Secret World adds new content that's playable for characters that aren't min-maxed stat-wise and wearing the best high-end raid gear, I applaud them for it. On the other hand, I'm okay with it personally, because if I want to sit down and spend 2 hours finding quest items that aren't marked, solving mathematical puzzles and decrypting clues, I'll go play something by myself that focuses on that style of play (Or do an investigation mission in TSW that I've never done before, because some of those are fairly difficult). But if I want to run around with some friends, I generally want to go kill things, pvp, or sort out pve mechanics on group content. That being said, I'll probably read through and pay attention to what lore stuff there is this time around, because this is 1) a setting I am more familiar with 2) and a fan of.

The idiots in general chat (of which there are aplenty here--the servers are down for maintenance at the moment, and in the last 10 minutes prior to them going down, I saw a good dozen or so "when do the servers go down," or "how long are they going down for" despite the fact that someone had literally just typed the answer 30 seconds before them. Now, I naturally assume that 75% of the stupidity I see in general chats is trolling, but the bottom line is that human beings are mostly really, really dumb, and there does seem to be a trend for online games to cater to that lowest common denominator--particularly for low level content) can be turned off in the settings. Remember this when they make you feel like sticking you fist through the monitor and throttling them. I know it keeps my blood pressure in check to do so sometimes.
Go to Top of Page

Caladan Brood
Senior Scribe

Norway
410 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2013 :  10:11:23  Show Profile  Visit Caladan Brood's Homepage Send Caladan Brood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No offense taken, Yoss. As described elsethread I have kind of "fallen into" the game anyway because it's so easy to play casually. My gripes are indeed much about what I wanted versus what I got, but there's also a lot to dislike about this game regardless of expectations (seriously I'm getting herpes just from seeing "control wizards" running around with those floating orbs at their shoulders, where are the good old fashioned spellbook-carrying wizards of yore?).
The best REALMS games will continue to be played around tables with friends obviously, where no limitations exist.
That being said, there HAVE been a number of very gratifying, enjoyable, mind-consuming REALMS games for the computer (Baldur's Gate I & II, Icewind Dale I & II, Neverwinter Nights I & II, the gold box games I assume) and I was hoping that Neverwinter would kind of carry on that flavor while being a MMO at the same time.
Still, as I've also mentioned elsethread, there are some nice dungeon designs and all that keeping me entertained, while the skull-bashing is extremely repetitive once I figured out a nice combination of powers. With an added Priest companion I can tackle most everything the game throws at me without going down, so it feels like one long rush of combat and level gaining, and less an adventure/story/experience to remember.
Go to Top of Page

Yoss
Learned Scribe

USA
259 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2013 :  11:57:35  Show Profile Send Yoss a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Having played a couple more days now, 1) yeah, leveling is really quick-going. It's totally designed in typical mmo-fashion under the assumption "people hate to level," which I think is ridiculous, having never subscribed to the "endgame is the only game" mentality.

. 2). Quite possibly the worst pvp system I've ever encountered. People whine about balance in games that are far more balanced, yet here it seems almost worthless to even queue up if you're not a control wizard. Everyone seems to know this, since Ive seen the odd rogue or cleric in matches (aside from me being that odd rogue), but all the dominations see, to be...well, dominated...by 80% wizards.

3) I'll probably still buy some zen and unlock enough character slots to make one of each class. 4). I still don't understand what a skirmish is, but I like the timed events for those, dungeons, and the like because getting extra loots when you do things at a particular time is exactly the kind of time budgeting that gives me some incentive to break up the monotony of any one kind of leveling (I.e. questing for a couple hours of playing time vs running pvp match after pvp match).

4) The currency system is somewhat on crack between in game and real money, ad vs gold, seals, glory, etc. too many different currencies.

5) I almost wish I had an Xbox controller for the movement, because the basic controls/ targeting system seems more geared toward a console than mouse and keyboard, in a way in which I'm not entirely a fan. Hence the reason I do all my gaming on a pc. I suck st analog sticks.

6). Foundry is cool. I've done a couple well-thought out quests that were fun, a couple bad ones, and a couple in German where I wasn't 100% sure exactly what was going on, haven't made anything myself yet, though.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000