Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Software
 Neverwinter MMO/CO-OP Game.
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2011 :  19:40:17  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well, it looks like this new game is really being made. For awhile, like the last two years, it was just rumor.

http://www.playneverwinter.com/

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2011 :  03:51:44  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, that looks quite good I have to say! I was bothered by the fact that they put (again!) only D&D and no FR, but as we are already getting used to this unfortunate policy... The trailer itself looks nice.

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

Daviot
Senior Scribe

USA
372 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2011 :  05:19:00  Show Profile  Visit Daviot's Homepage Send Daviot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The mention of "Cooperative online RPG" makes me think it might be closer to Guild Wars (i.e. sort of a party-based console RPG that happens to be online) rather than a true static world/grindfest MMORPG. With their "pricing yet to be determined" bit, I'm afeared it will be subscription model, much like the DDI or an MMO.

One usually has far more to fear from the soft-spoken wizard with a blade and well-worn boots than from the boisterous one in the ivory tower.
My Tabletop Writing CV.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2011 :  05:21:39  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Daviot

With their "pricing yet to be determined" bit, I'm afeared it will be subscription model, much like the DDI or an MMO.

-What online games don't charge you that way, anymore? Subscription fees and such, in addition to you buying the game, make sure to milk the most amount of money from every person playing.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4426 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2011 :  12:42:46  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

quote:
Originally posted by Daviot

With their "pricing yet to be determined" bit, I'm afeared it will be subscription model, much like the DDI or an MMO.

-What online games don't charge you that way, anymore? Subscription fees and such, in addition to you buying the game, make sure to milk the most amount of money from every person playing.

Guild Wars doesn't require any subsription fee, just the game purchace as does Diablo 1 & 2.
Go to Top of Page

Hippo
Acolyte

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2011 :  17:51:55  Show Profile Send Hippo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't believe this is going to be a full MMO. I remember reading somewhere, possible IGN, that the game will be playable with only one person. The emphasis will be on multiplayer though.

When I have been reading the articles on the game I was getting a hybrid Diablo/MMO style peeking through.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2011 :  18:29:14  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

Guild Wars doesn't require any subsription fee, just the game purchace as does Diablo 1 & 2.

-The Diablos are relatively old, especially the first one. But, alright, it's good to see that there are still some popular online games that don't charge subscriptions. Me, I'm not really into online games. I played the Lord of the Rings for a few days like four years ago, when they were offering a free week/month around Christmas time, but was kinda boring being all alone (my cousins, who played it, were all high levels, whereas I was level 1, so I couldn't really play with them). I am looking forward to Knights of the Old Republic, though. I'm gonna give that one a try.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2011 :  20:12:28  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
DDO doesn't require a subscrip any more either nor does Lord of the Rings. Plus even some of the Everquests have done away with it. They've turned some features into microcosts though but they are optional.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2011 :  22:40:10  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, the majority of MMOs have moved away from the subscription model. I think WoW and SW:TOR will be the last of the breed. Most have moved to F2P with microtransactions.

Also:

"Easy-to-grasp adventure creation tools empower players. Bring compelling quests to life and build challenging levels! Share creations with the entire world in-game. Become a part of the existing Dungeons & Dragons universe... Then build a new one."

This looks like Neverwinter Nights 3 more than a full MMO.

Still rockin' the Fey'ri style.

Edited by - Crennen FaerieBane on 08 Jun 2011 22:43:22
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2011 :  06:44:47  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's a new podcast up for this game.

http://www.nwnpodcast.com/nwnp/2011/06/27/nwnp-episode-144-neverwinter-by-cryptic/

Go to Top of Page

Tamsar
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
141 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2011 :  13:18:13  Show Profile Send Tamsar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Crennen FaerieBane

Actually, the majority of MMOs have moved away from the subscription model. I think WoW and SW:TOR will be the last of the breed. Most have moved to F2P with microtransactions.

But WoW has over a 60% market share, it totally dominates the MMO scene. I don't foresee Blizzard changing this any time soon, too much revenue is generated by WoW.

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2011 :  21:35:00  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tamsar

quote:
Originally posted by Crennen FaerieBane

But WoW has over a 60% market share, it totally dominates the MMO scene. I don't foresee Blizzard changing this any time soon, too much revenue is generated by WoW.

Actually, Blizzard just announced this week that it has partly free to play now. You can get up to level 20 as well as the use the races from Burning Crusade.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2011 :  22:50:33  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, looks like Perfect World Entertainment is turning this into another MMO type game now that they have bought out Cryptic.

http://pc.ign.com/articles/119/1198498p1.html

Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2011 :  05:23:45  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

Well, looks like Perfect World Entertainment is turning this into another MMO type game now that they have bought out Cryptic.

Wow... with the Co-op play, I was sorta interested. Now that it's going to change into a F2P MMO with microcharges, I've totally lost interest.

Sad, really sad.

Female, 40-year DM of a homebrew-evolved 1E Realms, including a few added tidbits of 2E and 3E lore; played originally in AD&D, then in Rolemaster. Be a DM for your kids and grandkids, gaming is excellent for families!
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4426 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2011 :  13:01:15  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Has anyone tried the quick Neverwinter game featured on Facebook?? I was really skeptical at first but for a silly Facebook game, it's actually pretty fun. Espically with the ease and controls of the game, it's pretty entertaining.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2011 :  13:37:31  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Has anyone tried the quick Neverwinter game featured on Facebook?? I was really skeptical at first but for a silly Facebook game, it's actually pretty fun. Espically with the ease and controls of the game, it's pretty entertaining.

I saw someone else comment on it, and the responses were that it gets boring after level 10. I don't know this for myself; I limit my time playing Facebook games.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4426 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2011 :  13:56:48  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

I saw someone else comment on it, and the responses were that it gets boring after level 10. I don't know this for myself; I limit my time playing Facebook games.

I haven't gotten that far because I too limit my Facebook time, lol. Honestly though, I think it's a lot more fun than Farmville, Mafia-Wars, and.....Castle Age (I think that's the name).
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2011 :  22:47:28  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Therise

quote:

Wow... with the Co-op play, I was sorta interested. Now that it's going to change into a F2P MMO with microcharges, I've totally lost interest.

Sad, really sad.

Yea, not sure if I want to try another MMO with all the ones that are coming out this year or next. Ah well.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2011 :  22:48:47  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I have been, when I remember to get over there. I saw it when Brian was playing and he's on my friend list for the game but..... I dunno, it wasn't keeping my interest to much. I had to keep running the same dungeons over and over to get some exp and gold, otherwise I kept getting killed.

Go to Top of Page

Yoss
Learned Scribe

USA
259 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2011 :  14:16:57  Show Profile Send Yoss a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Therise

quote:

Sad, really sad.

I've got quite a bit of hatred for that business model myself. I see why it is what it is, but it still sucks. Well, there that game goes as my plan B for when I start to get bored with swtor (once that @$%@##$@#$#@@$ thing finally comes out!).
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2011 :  08:43:54  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dont you think its too small if its just set in Neverwinter city? It'll probably become a Dragon Age 2 style disaster.
Go to Top of Page

doctorbadwolf
Acolyte

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2012 :  16:20:07  Show Profile Send doctorbadwolf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
DDO does fine with one city. And the MMO will still have The Foundry. I, for one, am still excited.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2012 :  18:17:47  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, I'm an idiot.

What is F2P?

I loved the Diablos, and am eagerly awaiting D3, which looks freaking awesome. I know all I am doing is clicking like mad, but its so addictive!

Haven't tried the FB Neverwinter game - I really should. Right now I am enjoying CastleAge on FB, but its getting boring (they all get that way after awhile). I thought their Vampire Wars was well thought-out, but they screwed it all up with the changes and I never played it again. I have to wonder, though, if that game inspired the Vampire as a PC race in 4e D&D - I had similar thoughts myself (converting the abilities in that game into 3e Feats).

I may try this Neverwinter game, or not - depends upon what I have going on.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2012 :  18:45:48  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thauranil

Dont you think its too small if its just set in Neverwinter city? It'll probably become a Dragon Age 2 style disaster.

Since when is DA2 a disaster? I love that game. As I see it, it's basically shaped like the first part of Baldur's Gate 2 (the majority is set in one limited locale, with side-trips for some important quests).

quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

What is F2P?
Free to play. It's a business model where you can play the game as-is, but if you want to add cool stuff like new races, items, areas, etc., you pay small charges for expanded content. WoW is close to this model, Diablo does it, etc.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2012 :  19:13:58  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

What is F2P?
Free to play. It's a business model where you can play the game as-is, but if you want to add cool stuff like new races, items, areas, etc., you pay small charges for expanded content. WoW is close to this model, Diablo does it, etc.

Cheers

Lord of the Rings Online does it, too, and I believe D&D Online went to that business model, before its demise.

Go to Top of Page

doctorbadwolf
Acolyte

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2012 :  19:22:07  Show Profile Send doctorbadwolf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
DnD Online is going stronger than ever, with no sign of that changing. There was a new update with the artificer class, and a whole bunch of content a cfew months ago.d definately no demise, in fact it's got more players now than ever.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2012 :  20:43:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by doctorbadwolf

DnD Online is going stronger than ever, with no sign of that changing. There was a new update with the artificer class, and a whole bunch of content a cfew months ago.d definately no demise, in fact it's got more players now than ever.

My bad, then. For some reason, I was thinking it had been shut down.

Go to Top of Page

doctorbadwolf
Acolyte

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2012 :  20:48:09  Show Profile Send doctorbadwolf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No worries. It came close, before it went free to play, but that influx of players, plus a steady stream of new content has definitely saved it's bacon. Enough so that now, any time I get a chance to log on, servers are full. :D Which is exciting, for someone who remembers two years without updates and a nearly empty game....

Fricken Atari, man. lol

Warner Bros' acquisition of Turbine(the developing studio) seems to be helping, as well. I'm sure it's easier to budget new content with that backing behind you.
Go to Top of Page

Wolfhound75
Learned Scribe

USA
217 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2012 :  22:18:01  Show Profile Send Wolfhound75 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Even though I quit playing when my last deployment came up...those who have played long enough will remember...

XORIAT RULES!

0==============={> LEGION <}===============0

Crazyhorse / Wildhorse / Medicinehorse

Good Hunting!

"Firepower - if it's not working, you're not using enough." ~ Military Proverb

"If at first you do succeed, you must've rolled a natural 20!"
Go to Top of Page

doctorbadwolf
Acolyte

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2012 :  01:28:51  Show Profile Send doctorbadwolf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What server were you on?
Go to Top of Page

doctorbadwolf
Acolyte

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2012 :  08:50:48  Show Profile Send doctorbadwolf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This interview about the game really has me excited. http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/634/feature/5802/Neverwinter-Update-Interview-with-Andy-Velasquez.htm

quote:

"MMORPG.com: What is your favorite part of working on Neverwinter?

Andy Velasquez: I absolutely love getting to be a professional uber nerd.

Before working on the Neverwinter project I would look to my left and see my PHB for the 4E campaign I was in with my friends sitting on my desk and countdown the hours to our next session.

Now I can look to my left and see the PHB buried under the DM's Guide, Draconomicon and an open Monster Manual as I'm looking for the write-up on a Drow Arachnomancer to do some quick fact checking. Add that to the fun that is normal game development and you get a pretty happy producer."

Fantastic.

Also,
quote:
MMORPG.com: How does the game cater to players who want to make their own instances or scenarios?

Andy Velasquez: User Generated Content is a big part of the NWN franchise legacy and we are creating a system to continue that tradition in Neverwinter. The UGC toolset is called The Foundry and is being developed to allow players to quickly and easily create content like what they would experience in official Cryptic releases.

The Foundry editor itself, the content browser, the ability to review other user's custom content, and the ability to launch UGC content are all accessible from within the main Neverwinter client, in-game. So, players won't have to worry about maintaining a separate executable for content creation, or going to some forum to find out what the good content is, or trying to figure out where to save certain files to be able to play someone else's content. The Foundry is seamlessly integrated into the client and quests created with The Foundry can be seamlessly integrated into the world.

Color me VERY excited.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000