Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Shadar-kai in the Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2011 :  01:10:36  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Does anybody know anything interesting about these shadow-fey? Are there any Shadar-kai settlements in the Realms? Any sources for information besides the FF, MM, and Dragon articles (337, 372)?

Edit: I did some digging and found Ikemmu. There was an article in Dungeon 175 by Matt James that I found informative. I'm also trying to track down a copy of Unbroken Chain. I'm also curious about the chain-fighting styles of the Shadar-kai. Have these been expounded upon anywhere?

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Edited by - Fellfire on 05 Jun 2011 03:28:24

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2011 :  03:38:58  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-According to the ever-dubious Forgotten Realms Wiki:

"The Spellplague and its reshaping of the cosmos had a strange effect on some Netherese. Their acclimation to centuries in Shadow caused them to transform into or give birth to shadelike beings. Prince Rivalen declared this to be a miracle sent by Shar. He dubbed the changed people shadar-kai, which has become the common term for the race. Shadovar youths entering adolescence sometimes become shadar-kai, though this phenomenon is waning. Shadar-kai breed true with one another, and their unions with humans also produce shadar-kai. Rivalen has also devised a ritual to turn any human into a shadar-kai, not unlike that used to create a shade. Netherese shadar-kai have existed for more than three generations. They are a privileged class, not quite as blessed as shades, but given unique training. Shadar-kai agents work schemes to better Netheril’s hold on Faerūn, and gather resources and information from all over. Most of them long to become true shades. Not all shadar-kai serve Netheril. Many flee the empire to make their own way in the world. Others are offspring of humans who broke with Shade long ago or who refused to cross out of the Shadowfell. Netheril’s shadar-kai usually worship Shar and tend more toward evil behavior than their non-Netherese counterparts. Those of the Shadowfell are given to macabre and thrill-seeking behavior: Many revere Tempus, though a few follow Shar, Cyric, Beshaba, or even Asmodeus. A rare few hold Tymora in highest esteem."

-I can't verify any of this, off-hand, nor is any of the information properly cited, so believe at your own risk. I'm assuming that it comes, in whole or in part, from online DRAGON 391, though.

-That aside, I'm pretty sure they were introduced as a race during the 3e era, in the Field Folio or second or third Monster Manual, so not a lot of time has passed for them to "set" into the Forgotten Realms, after being introduced. Online DRAGON magazine #391, apparently, says on Shadar-Kai that they're a relatively new race to Realmspace, born either from Shadovar and their Krinth slaves mating, or Shadovar being blessed by Shar (I like the first explanation better, though it's a lot more debased). The term, supposedly, is Loross, for "Those of Shadow’s Gift".

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium

Edited by - Lord Karsus on 05 Jun 2011 03:45:54
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2011 :  04:06:34  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, there seems to be some discrepancy after 4e regarding their origins. From what I can discern in 3e they were a race of fey. In 4e they were changed humans. I will see if I can find a copy of 391. Thanks.

Also, any suggestions for magical properties of a Shadar-kai fighting chain? How about magical properties for piercings/jewelery? I know the Book of VD had a few. Anybody come up with anything else?

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2011 :  04:08:28  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Oh, that's right! It was them that used to be Shadow Fey in 3e, and are more like Shadow Humans in 4e (or thereabouts).

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2011 :  04:12:17  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

-I can't verify any of this, off-hand, nor is any of the information properly cited, so believe at your own risk. I'm assuming that it comes, in whole or in part, from online DRAGON 391, though.
The most important bits are largely summarised from the DRAGON #391 article. There's a few snippets that haven't come from that source, though not enough to alter the general take on the race in that article.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2011 :  20:14:57  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

Yes, there seems to be some discrepancy after 4e regarding their origins. From what I can discern in 3e they were a race of fey. In 4e they were changed humans. I will see if I can find a copy of 391. Thanks.

Also, any suggestions for magical properties of a Shadar-kai fighting chain? How about magical properties for piercings/jewelery? I know the Book of VD had a few. Anybody come up with anything else?

They were fully described in the Fiend Folio (if I remember correctly) as Fey in regards to their heritage. 4E makes them a shadow humanoid with these racial traits:

Shadar-Kai
RACIAL TRAITS

Average Height: 5'7" - 6'0"
Average Weight: 110 - 170

Ability scores: +2 Dexterity, +2 Intelligence or +2 Wisdom
Size: Medium
Speed: 6 squares.
Vision: Low-light

Languages: Common, choice of one other
Skill Bonuses: +2 Acrobatics, +2 Stealth.
Shadow Jaunt: You can use shadow jaunt as an encounter power.
Shadow Origin: The Shadowfell has left its mark on you, so you are considered a shadow creature for the purpose of effects that relate to creature origin.
Winterkin: Due to your connection to the Raven Queen, you gain a +1 racial bonus to your Fortitude defense. You also gain a +2 racial bonus to death saving throws and saving throws against the unconscious condition.

So while they're not considerd Fey per-se, they can resemble humanoid-like character and have those characteristics.

Also, what sort of magical items or equipment are you referring to for Shadar-Kai, 3e or 4e?
Go to Top of Page

Daviot
Senior Scribe

USA
372 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2011 :  23:45:02  Show Profile  Visit Daviot's Homepage Send Daviot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed, the shadar-kai (in their 3e "cursed shadow-fey" version) first appeared in the 3e Fiend Folio, and they got an ecology article in Dragon 337 (November 2005, I think).

The 3e-era shadar-kai come right out of the box with sneak attack and hide-in-plain sight, and between their Fiend Folio entry and the Ecology article, they prefer lurking, stealthy assassination, and light weapons (especially their racial favorite weapon, the spiked chain).

I seem to remember them coming up as adversaries in a 3.5 Realms adventure I ran, but I can't place it off the top of my head.

One usually has far more to fear from the soft-spoken wizard with a blade and well-worn boots than from the boisterous one in the ivory tower.
My Tabletop Writing CV.
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2011 :  02:18:51  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Weren't they introduced in an earlier Dragon article, along with a plant-race, and a couple of others? I have that issue, but it's in storage (along with MOST of my D&D stuff) so I can't remember the issue #.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2011 :  05:13:35  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Can they shadow-walk? I don't recall them doing so in The Captive Flame.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2011 :  05:40:33  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't remember them in that book.It has been awhile since I read it, and I have slept since then also...

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2011 :  05:47:40  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

They were the ones who guarded the chained Tchazar in Shadowfell, and fought Jeshri and Ghaedyn when they attempted to rescue the red dragon. Shadow-walking would have saved them from all those running. Well, I guess I should ask Richard if they possess such ability, or not.

Every beginning has an end.

Edited by - Dennis on 06 Jun 2011 05:48:44
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2011 :  07:08:21  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

Weren't they introduced in an earlier Dragon article, along with a plant-race, and a couple of others? I have that issue, but it's in storage (along with MOST of my D&D stuff) so I can't remember the issue #.

I also thought much as you did. But a quick check of the DragonDex doesn't indicate any pre-existing shadar-kai info in DRAGON, before issue #337.

Edited by - The Sage on 06 Jun 2011 07:09:39
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2011 :  10:10:48  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

They were the ones who guarded the chained Tchazar in Shadowfell, and fought Jeshri and Ghaedyn when they attempted to rescue the red dragon. Shadow-walking would have saved them from all those running. Well, I guess I should ask Richard if they possess such ability, or not.

DOH!

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2011 :  23:09:35  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

quote:

Also, what sort of magical items or equipment are you referring to for Shadar-Kai, 3e or 4e?

3rd is my preferred edition.

Misanthorpe

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2011 :  19:50:00  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not to further the discussion but as an aside: the WotC Bookclub is doing a discussion of Unbroken Chain, if you end up finding a copy and want to participate. Jaleigh's going to be there, and she's very good about online interaction.

http://community.wizards.com/bookclub/go/thread/view/110769/27713237/Book_Club_-_Discuss_our_sixth_selection

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2011 :  21:07:23  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Eric! I'll check it out. I'm still trying to track down a copy. No luck at the local bookstore or swap-shop.

Regarding weapons composed of "Shadowstuff." I read This scroll, which offered some insight. I also know that Nimor Imphraezel carried a rapier partially composed of shadowstuff that "punched through chainmail like parchment," but it wasn't really reflected in his stats from the DoF WE. Any suggestions for 3e weapons with the Shadowstuff Special Property, a chain specifically? Any other sources I can draw inspiration and/or mechanics from?

Perhaps a STR drain similar to a Shadow's touch, or other Negative Energy effect? Ideas? Anyone?

Misanthorpe

Edited by - Fellfire on 12 Jun 2011 21:32:36
Go to Top of Page

Matt James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2011 :  17:19:56  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wrote an entire article for Dungeon last year on the Shadar-Kai city of Ikemmu (also the site of Jaleigh Johnsons Realms novel "Unbroken Chain). I think it was called "Explore: Ikemmu"-- A Realmslore article.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2011 :  18:07:35  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Perhaps a STR drain similar to a Shadow's touch, or other Negative Energy effect? Ideas? Anyone?

-A good idea, since the Shadow Dragons's breath weapon is "shadowy" and does basically just that.

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2011 :  01:33:55  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Matt James

I wrote an entire article for Dungeon last year on the Shadar-Kai city of Ikemmu (also the site of Jaleigh Johnsons Realms novel "Unbroken Chain). I think it was called "Explore: Ikemmu"-- A Realmslore article.

And for reference purposes, that article was located in DUNGEON #175.

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2011 :  01:47:20  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

I also thought much as you did. But a quick check of the DragonDex doesn't indicate any pre-existing shadar-kai info in DRAGON, before issue #337.

That's really odd. The article I'm thinking of had four "new" races, and I'm pretty sure shadar-kai was one of them. The plant-race had petal-like hair, and would eventually "age" into some sort of sentient tree. The other two were a lizard-type, and something I can't recall. But I remembered the "shadow-fey" because they were sort of drow-like in appearance, but very small, like halflings, and were prone to being rogues. Does this jog anyone's memory?

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2011 :  01:51:15  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm. The plant-race with petal hair does sound familiar.

Now that I think further on this, I can recall a [perhaps] shadar-kai character being presented in a DRAGON issue, but I can't remember whether it was before or after issue #337.

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2011 :  01:57:20  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This was definitely before. I don't have issue #337, (I think), but this one was in the early 300's, I believe.

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2011 :  02:15:40  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

This was definitely before. I don't have issue #337, (I think), but this one was in the early 300's, I believe.

You're a temptress, Alystra. I'm actually thinking of digging through my entire stack of DRAGONs [not that there's anything wrong with that] from #300 to #337, just to confirm our suspicions.

Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2011 :  04:01:46  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Because I'm obsessive about my chosen subject matter, I've done as you suggested Sage. I found lots of fun stuff. In issue #317 I found an article called Xenophilia that introduces 4 new races. I suspect this may be what you were thinking of, Alystra, the Adu'jas could be your flower-headed freaks. One of them, the Gruwaars are a race of fey allied to the drow during the Descent have a superficial resemblance to the Shadar-kai in that they are Unseelie and live underground. #322 had the Ecology of the Dark Ones. In #330 were the Umbragen, Shadow-tainted dark elves from Eberron. But nothing else regarding the Shadar-kai until #337 and their Ecology article.

edit: Upon further perusal of said article from #317 I'm convinced this is what you were remembering, Alystra. Sadly, it's not the Shadar-kai, but interesting nonetheless. I don't know why I don't flip through my back issues more often.

Misanthorpe

Edited by - Fellfire on 15 Jun 2011 04:15:52
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2011 :  04:46:13  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, Fellfire, bless you a hundred times! That is indeed the article I was thinking of. The Adu'jas do sound familiar, and now that I think of it, I remember the name for the Unseelie fey as Gruwar. I'm wondering if the shar-kai might have been a later version of those, since they are so similar. #317, you say? That sounds about right, since I was actually buying the magazine at my local bookstore during that time-frame. (I had just started getting into 3rd ed, and all the "new" stuff was making me giddy!)

@ Sage, why, yes- yes I am....as my hubby will happily tell you, LOL!!

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2013 :  15:51:44  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
casts *** Raise Thread!!! ***

Okay... so its not so old... I could have forgone the pyrotechnics.

I am looking into these things ATM, and I'm a bit confused. I thought they were a type of shadow-fey, and looked a lot like shadowy elves (more like the punk-rock WH elves, but whatever), and I thought they were a bit redundant with drow (and Shades, but again, WHATEVER), but now that I am looking at the art, they seem to have gotten more... human... in appearance. Did the lore remain the same in 4e, or did something change?

I was just reading something in the Hammerfast 4e supplement, and there's one in there who is passing herself off as human (with no magic needed to do so!) Now I am confused - they look human-enough to be able to fool folks? Are they not a sub-group of fey/Elves anymore?

EDIT: I probably should have read the thread fist, before posting in it.

I had assumed I already read it at the time (since its not that old), but I now realize this was during that time period where I was dealing with a personal nightmare and wasn't online (so I hadn't read it, as I had assumed). Anyhow, I still wouldn't mind a discussion - like Dragonborn and Tieflings, we may as well get all of our 4e nerd-rage out now, before 5e comes out.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 13 Oct 2013 16:09:01
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000