Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 How up to date are you with reading FR novels? [2]
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 13

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2011 :  15:25:00  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by skychrome

quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

I guess I should update my status on realms novels. I've read them all thus far (except Erik Scott de Bie's e-only novel, which is making me ask for a Kindle for x-mas just for that...)
Otherwise, I have read the other non-FR novels about the Abyssal Plague, and am now catching up on reading my old FR sourcebooks (I own most but am working on reading them all).

Respect Alisttair! Guess there are not many here who can say so.

Indeed.

The very thought alone of reading those that I deliberately avoid [and would rather not enumerate] almost awakens the Nevron in me.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2011 :  16:46:46  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

quote:

quote:

I guess I should update my status on realms novels. I've read them all thus far (except Erik Scott de Bie's e-only novel, which is making me ask for a Kindle for x-mas just for that...)
Otherwise, I have read the other non-FR novels about the Abyssal Plague, and am now catching up on reading my old FR sourcebooks (I own most but am working on reading them all).

Indeed.

The very thought alone of reading those that I deliberately avoid [and would rather not enumerate] almost awakens the Nevron in me.

lol

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2011 :  18:55:59  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Indeed.

Hehe! Dennis in your case this certainly means all novels that contain the word 'elf' (unless it is 'dead elf')?! :-)

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2011 :  19:00:45  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Indeed.

Hehe! Dennis in your case this certainly means all novels that contain the word 'elf' (unless it is 'dead elf')?! :-)

There are exceptions to that rule, albeit very few.

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2011 :  21:43:16  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh worry not, Karsus will return, I'm sure its in the plans of Ao....he'll get his novel....he'll be the one to stop the Abyssal Plague even and cross over into all the realms.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

HardKano
Learned Scribe

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2011 :  14:01:11  Show Profile  Visit HardKano's Homepage Send HardKano a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi here !

I update my list last few weeks and added a line this morning for the read one .... I'm at 41 total read by now when i'll finish 'Hand of Fire'. few days left ;D

After i'll go with Silverfall & Cormyr Saga.

There is only one thing that will never change : Evolution
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2011 :  23:36:50  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just finished "Ring of Winter". Good novel, really liked it. It is the "lighter" old school style.

Don't know yet what to read next. The only thing that really still motivates me, is Godborn....

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

Seabus Mythforger
Seeker

76 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2011 :  23:43:22  Show Profile Send Seabus Mythforger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Finished the Last Mythal a couple of days ago. Very good series IMO. Gonna break from the Realms for a little while and read Tom Holt's Falling Sideways next and the gonna try out the Star Wars: Darth Bane Trilogy...then gonna jump back into the Realms with either Return of the Archwizards or Haunted Lands.

~Seabus Mythforger,
Renegade Mage
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2011 :  05:20:47  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I am not really in the mood to delve into newer FR novels. So I am just rereading a couple. Right now it's Unholy, the conclusion to Richard Lee Byers's The Haunted Lands Trilogy.

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2011 :  14:44:18  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seabus Mythforger

Finished the Last Mythal a couple of days ago. Very good series IMO. Gonna break from the Realms for a little while and read Tom Holt's Falling Sideways next and the gonna try out the Star Wars: Darth Bane Trilogy...then gonna jump back into the Realms with either Return of the Archwizards or Haunted Lands.

Definitely go with the Haunted Lands

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2011 :  15:38:55  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just finished Gauntlgrym, starting Neverwinter.

Female, 40-year DM of a homebrew-evolved 1E Realms, including a few added tidbits of 2E and 3E lore; played originally in AD&D, then in Rolemaster. Be a DM for your kids and grandkids, gaming is excellent for families!
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2011 :  16:44:33  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by entreri3478

quote:

Or you can read them alternately. Start with HL Book 1, then RotA Book 1; back to HL B2, then RotA B2...

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2011 :  17:10:01  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Or you can read them alternately. Start with HL Book 1, then RotA Book 1; back to HL B2, then RotA B2...

Lol, I am actually going to do this with the Double Diamond Triangle Saga. I'll just read 1 after every book i finish.

Go to Top of Page

HardKano
Learned Scribe

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2011 :  20:56:41  Show Profile  Visit HardKano's Homepage Send HardKano a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I finished Hand of Fire last night! Starting Silverfall tonight

Go to Top of Page

Seabus Mythforger
Seeker

76 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2011 :  21:45:54  Show Profile Send Seabus Mythforger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

I tried that with War of the Spider Queen and Elminster and it didn't work out so well..i kept getting lost

~Seabus Mythforger,
Renegade Mage
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2011 :  01:45:49  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I tried that with War of the Spider Queen and Elminster and it didn't work out so well..i kept getting lost

It just takes a little bit of practice. I do it often.

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2011 :  21:12:36  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Doing it right now :)

Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2011 :  14:37:47  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Reading The Wyvern's Spur now....it's so good (I read Azure Bonds again recently and now want to finish the Finder's Stone trilogy). After just finishing the Knights of Myth Drannor books the disparity in the writing style is...frightening. I love Ed's work to death and his world building is 2nd only to Tolkien but...it's nice to read a Realms book that has juicy characters and great narrative. Giogi reminds me of a male Bridget Jones so far, his relationship with his family and his man-servant are quite fun to read!
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2011 :  14:48:03  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seravin

Reading The Wyvern's Spur now....it's so good (I read Azure Bonds again recently and now want to finish the Finder's Stone trilogy). After just finishing the Knights of Myth Drannor books the disparity in the writing style is...frightening. I love Ed's work to death and his world building is 2nd only to Tolkien but...it's nice to read a Realms book that has juicy characters and great narrative. Giogi reminds me of a male Bridget Jones so far, his relationship with his family and his man-servant are quite fun to read!

Definitely a classic 2nd Ed trilogy

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2011 :  17:21:35  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Giogi is one of my fave Realms characters.

I really like Alias, too, but that's more for her backstory than for her personality. Not knocking her personality; it's just that her backstory is far more interesting to me.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2011 :  00:07:23  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just finished reading Shadows of Doom. I thought it was okay, but I thought it really highlighted the problems with how some of the villains have been portrayed up until recently. Had this been an early book for me I would not take the Zhentarim threat seriously at all. Or I would assume all of their enemies are secretly Chosen of Tymora.

I decided to take a break from that trilogy and I have started to read Brimstone Angels. I'm about 40 pages in and it's good so far. I love the Tiefling twin sisters so far. The Cambion (sp?), Lorcan, is (so far) an interesting character who's motivations aren't entirely clear (surprise, surprise, a half devil who may have a hidden agenda) but seem to be relatively on the up and up. The dialogue is great though and has gotten a laugh or two from me so far.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
-The Sith Code

Teenage Sith zombies, Tulkh thought-how in the moons of Bogden had it all started? Every so often, the universe must just get bored and decide to really cut loose. -Star Wars: Red Harvest
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2011 :  02:11:51  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Currently reading Realms of Valor from time to time. So far it is quite mediocre, so I do not make lots of progress.

Go to Top of Page

HardKano
Learned Scribe

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2011 :  02:34:08  Show Profile  Visit HardKano's Homepage Send HardKano a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Reading "death of the dragon" right now. Will finish cormyr saga before the end of the year and look what next :p i like Denning writing but i probally finish Greenwood novels first and on them after

Edited by - HardKano on 15 Dec 2011 02:35:32
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2011 :  12:50:55  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Finished The Spectral Blaze, starting on Whisper of Venom.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2011 :  12:56:18  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thauranil

Oh, so you read Book 3 prior to Book 2? I myself am not in the habit of reading in order. Whatever's available at a given moment is what I read first.

Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2011 :  07:43:22  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Oh, so you read Book 3 prior to Book 2? I myself am not in the habit of reading in order. Whatever's available at a given moment is what I read first.

Well i got my hands on the third one first and since i found it interesting i ordered the first two from the net.
Go to Top of Page

HardKano
Learned Scribe

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2012 :  02:57:50  Show Profile  Visit HardKano's Homepage Send HardKano a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Finishing 'Death of the Dragon' tonight and will start ''Knights of Myth Drannor'' Trilogy for the new Year ! :)
I'M off for the last 20 pages of the Cormyr Saga!
Happy New Year !

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2012 :  14:17:27  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

That would drive me crazy

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2012 :  18:00:49  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

It's just a matter of getting used to.

Go to Top of Page

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2012 :  18:11:57  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

That happened to me with a Star Wars book. Someone bought me the third book in the Thrawn trilogy (The Last Command) and I read it without initially realizing it was book 3. That was when it was originally in hardback. I only got around to reading books 1 and 2 about 6 years ago when I bought a numerous Star Wars hardbacks off Ebay. When I reread it after parts 1 and 2 the third part made more sense and it is so far the only book I have reread (though I am considering it with some Realms books as I am sure there were things I missed by having not read other books first).

As for my progress, I finally finished the Shadows of the Avatar trilogy. It took me a month to finally work up the will to finish the third book. I think it was more me being a little burnt out by that point, but the book itself did have some issues. I'm not going to dwell on the negative though. Now I am reading Hand of the Hunter and I am about halfway through it and liking it so far. I wanted to wait until I had the third book to read them back to back and I was able to pick it up last month. When I finish this one, that will make FR book number 118 that I have read by my count. I imagine I will read the third Chosen of Nendawen book after this.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
-The Sith Code

Teenage Sith zombies, Tulkh thought-how in the moons of Bogden had it all started? Every so often, the universe must just get bored and decide to really cut loose. -Star Wars: Red Harvest
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 13 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000