Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 How up to date are you with reading FR novels? [2]
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 13

AdamBridger
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
118 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2011 :  11:16:07  Show Profile Send AdamBridger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Finished Darkvision by Bruce R. Cordell. However, I remember the crystaline dragon Xet from another book I've read but I just can't seem to place what book.

Just started Frostfell by Mark Sehestedt. I've read Fall of Highwatch before and didn't realise that the character of Lendri hadn't made his first appearance in the Chosen of Nendawen Series.
Go to Top of Page

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2011 :  17:07:43  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AdamBridger

Finished Darkvision by Bruce R. Cordell. However, I remember the crystaline dragon Xet from another book I've read but I just can't seem to place what book.

Have you read Stardeep from the Dungeons series? Xet is also in that, along with the Star Elf Kiril, and it takes place after Darkvision.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
-The Sith Code

Teenage Sith zombies, Tulkh thought-how in the moons of Bogden had it all started? Every so often, the universe must just get bored and decide to really cut loose. -Star Wars: Red Harvest
Go to Top of Page

AdamBridger
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
118 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2011 :  17:29:19  Show Profile Send AdamBridger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tyrant

quote:

Have you read Stardeep from the Dungeons series? Xet is also in that, along with the Star Elf Kiril, and it takes place after Darkvision.

Yes I have read Stardeep and remember Kiril and Xet. Have they been in any other books? Maybe a short stort in a Realms Of anthology?
Go to Top of Page

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2011 :  20:27:56  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Tyrant

quote:

Yes I have read Stardeep and remember Kiril and Xet. Have they been in any other books? Maybe a short stort in a Realms Of anthology?

Not that I know of, but I am not an expert on the anthologies.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
-The Sith Code

Teenage Sith zombies, Tulkh thought-how in the moons of Bogden had it all started? Every so often, the universe must just get bored and decide to really cut loose. -Star Wars: Red Harvest
Go to Top of Page

AdamBridger
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
118 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2011 :  14:37:03  Show Profile Send AdamBridger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Finished Frostfell by Mark Sehestedt. Thinking of taking a break from Forgotten Realms books for the next few books as it seems that they are all I have read recently.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2011 :  16:05:34  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just got back into reading Realms books again after a 5 year lapse. Reading Undead by Richard Lee Byers now, awesome book/series!

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

NecroZombie
Acolyte

4 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2011 :  16:35:40  Show Profile  Visit NecroZombie's Homepage Send NecroZombie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Finished RAGE and now jumping full into The RITE by Richard Lee Byers. I must say that this is some excellent stuff. I will defiantly be buying more RLB material.
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2011 :  18:36:05  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Swords of Eveningstar Right now...loving it!! I'm going to finish the trilogy and then maybe finish the Moonshae Trilogy as I've had Black Wizards and Darkwell for a long time. Loved Darkwalker on Moonshae tho.
Go to Top of Page

swifty
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
517 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2011 :  10:46:37  Show Profile  Visit swifty's Homepage Send swifty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
after a month out im ready to jump back into the realms with the citadels series.can someone please reassure me that its a bit more entertaining than the dungeons.for me the weakest series of books of the noughties.

go back to sleep america.everything is under control.heres american gladiators.watch this.shuttup. BILL HICKS.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2011 :  10:52:43  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

From that series I only read Shield of Weeping Ghosts by James P. Davis. It was fantastic. A great look into the witches and wizards of Rashemen.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

AdamBridger
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
118 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2011 :  15:54:50  Show Profile Send AdamBridger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by swifty

after a month out im ready to jump back into the realms with the citadels series.can someone please reassure me that its a bit more entertaining than the dungeons.for me the weakest series of books of the noughties.

Yes the Citadels Series is most probably the best that i've read of those type of series. The Wizards was also quite good.
Go to Top of Page

Seabus Mythforger
Seeker

76 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2011 :  20:12:20  Show Profile Send Seabus Mythforger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
since February i've read:
The Legend of Drizzt
The Cleric Quintet
The Sellswords
The Hunter's Blades (currently finishing book 3 - The Two Swords)
Evermeet: Island of the Elves
War of the Spider Queen
The Year of Rogue Dragons
House of Serpents
Elminster Ascending (first 3 books of the Elminster series)
City of Splendors: A Waterdeep Novel
Realms of the Underdark (not quite what i had hoped for)

for those who lost count that's around 40+ FR novels (not to mention re-reading a few of the old Dragonlance novels and a plethora of comic books lol)...not having a job has not been time wasted lol.

before year-end i plan on reading:
Return of the Archwizards
The Last Mythal
Starlight and Shadows
The Haunted Lands
Elminster in Hell
Elminster's Daughter
Elminster Must Die
&
Ed Greenwood presents Waterdeep Book 1

and if i can find/afford them i'd like to pick up
The Wizards series
Legend of Drizzt: The Collected Stories
The Avatar trilogy
Songs and Swords

~Seabus Mythforger,
Renegade Mage
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2011 :  21:42:21  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I read the first 50 pages of The Fanged Crown in the Wilds series. Longest 50 pages of my life...SKIPPED

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Go to Top of Page

Valas Hune
Acolyte

Vietnam
1 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2011 :  23:52:13  Show Profile Send Valas Hune a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My first introduction to the realms wasnt a book but the game Baldurs gate! Id previously read Tolkien and dragons lance so wasnt compltely unfamilar with the genre. I then played Icewind dale and bought "the spine of the world" I then read all of Ra salvaotre's work and also War of the spider queen. Im a drow fan so have also read elaine cunnighams daughter of the drow.

Also read dark water on moonsahe, The rage, the rite.

I strugled with the first Elminster book. couldnt get used to Ed's style of writing.

My next books to read are The Empyrian Oddisy and the next neverwinter book from RA S

"ahh but the poison"
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2011 :  02:41:09  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I will endeavor to go back to Realms reading this week...

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Seabus Mythforger
Seeker

76 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2011 :  20:38:17  Show Profile Send Seabus Mythforger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed's writing style does take a minute to get used to. I was always a fan of 19th century English literature before I began my journey through the Realms so i was able to adapt rather quickly...and now I'm hooked!

I also want to get around to reading Thomas Reid's "The Empyrean Odyssey."

And I'm also wandering (since I've read the War of the Spider Queen), are there any other novels about the Jaezred Chaulsiin/Patron Fathers?

~Seabus Mythforger,
Renegade Mage
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2011 :  01:57:52  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seabus Mythforger
And I'm also wandering (since I've read the War of the Spider Queen), are there any other novels about the Jaezred Chaulsiin/Patron Fathers?

Not that I knew of... If any, then maybe a glimpse in Lady Penitent (been a while since I read it), but nothing relevant.

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

AdamBridger
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
118 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2011 :  11:37:35  Show Profile Send AdamBridger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While the forum has been down i've read Blackstaff Tower, by Stephen E. Schend, and Mistshore, by Jaleigh Johnson. Loved both of them.

Just started Downshadow, by Erik Scott de Bie, and so far it is extremely good.
Go to Top of Page

Seabus Mythforger
Seeker

76 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2011 :  17:23:07  Show Profile Send Seabus Mythforger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I haven't gotten the chance to read The Lady Pentinent Yet. I plan on it but i want to read Starlight and Shadows first. Right now I'm working on The Last Mythal. Taking me a minute to get into it though since i also decided the same day to replay through Dragon Age: Origins so i'm trying to split my time somewhat. Unfortunately, or fortunately, I find myself being pulled toward Dragon Age tho. I'm almost done with it though so then i'll be back to the realms.

~Seabus Mythforger,
Renegade Mage
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2011 :  21:21:16  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I haven't gotten the chance to read The Lady Pentinent Yet. I plan on it but i want to read Starlight and Shadows first. Right now I'm working on The Last Mythal. Taking me a minute to get into it though since i also decided the same day to replay through Dragon Age: Origins so i'm trying to split my time somewhat. Unfortunately, or fortunately, I find myself being pulled toward Dragon Age tho. I'm almost done with it though so then i'll be back to the realms.

Please let me know what you think of the Lady Penitent. This is also on my "to read" list

Go to Top of Page

Seabus Mythforger
Seeker

76 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2011 :  05:54:03  Show Profile Send Seabus Mythforger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Will do entreri3478. I ran into an old friend of mine today that says it's really a must read if you've read War of the Spider Queen. And for those who haven't gotten the chance yet, I suggest picking up The Legend of Drizzt Anthology: The Collected Stories. All the Drizzt short stories gathered into one volume with introductions to each by R.A. Salvatore himself. I haven't read all the stories yet, and I mostly picked it up for "Guenhwyvar", but after skimming through it, it looks really intriguing. And happened to get lucky enough to acquire Neverwinter Book II for $12.00! How amazing is that!!

~Seabus Mythforger,
Renegade Mage
Go to Top of Page

AdamBridger
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
118 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2011 :  10:53:10  Show Profile Send AdamBridger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just finished Downshadow, by Erik Scott di Bie, and really liked the book. I would highly recommend it. However, I have to ask does the cover have anything to do with any of the content in the book?
Go to Top of Page

AdamBridger
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
118 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2011 :  10:56:56  Show Profile Send AdamBridger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by entreri3478

quote:

Please let me know what you think of the Lady Penitent. This is also on my "to read" list

It was quite good, however, I thought that the 3rd book of the trilogy had a extremely rushed ending that took the shine off the series. All it needed was either a 4th book to the series or an extra 100 pages or so, in order for the book to have the ending it deserved.

I do agree that you should only read the Lady Penitent series only after reading the War Of The Spider Queen Series.
Go to Top of Page

swifty
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
517 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2011 :  17:46:35  Show Profile  Visit swifty's Homepage Send swifty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by skychrome

quote:

Not that I knew of... If any, then maybe a glimpse in Lady Penitent (been a while since I read it), but nothing relevant.

wasnt shimmergloom from streams of silver somehow connected to them.im sure he was a shadow dragon.

go back to sleep america.everything is under control.heres american gladiators.watch this.shuttup. BILL HICKS.
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2011 :  19:49:51  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just finished Swords of Dragonfire by Ed....I really like the Knights, but the books are so random seeming! The last half of the book where they just keep slaughtering innocent Purple Dragons in/under the Royal court to get word to Vandergahast is just...odd. I love Ed's work regardless, but now reading Sword that Never Sleeps and hoping for a satisfying conclusion. My fave part of the Swords trilogy so far has been the first few chapters of Swords of Eveningstar. Fantastic stuff there.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2011 :  21:56:28  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by swifty

quote:

quote:

wasnt shimmergloom from streams of silver somehow connected to them.im sure he was a shadow dragon.

Shimmergloom was either a Shadow Dragon or an extra dark Black Dragon

Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2011 :  01:35:04  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I liked the Lady Penitent series... a lot! There have been quite a lot of people who were bothered about what happened to the pantheon, as some kind of prequel to 4e. But I cannot help it, I liked the series nevertheless. Especially book 2. Seems I got a nag for the middle books...

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2011 :  01:47:45  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I guess I should update my status on realms novels. I've read them all thus far (except Erik Scott de Bie's e-only novel, which is making me ask for a Kindle for x-mas just for that...)
Otherwise, I have read the other non-FR novels about the Abyssal Plague, and am now catching up on reading my old FR sourcebooks (I own most but am working on reading them all).

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2011 :  01:56:42  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

I guess I should update my status on realms novels. I've read them all thus far (except Erik Scott de Bie's e-only novel, which is making me ask for a Kindle for x-mas just for that...)
Otherwise, I have read the other non-FR novels about the Abyssal Plague, and am now catching up on reading my old FR sourcebooks (I own most but am working on reading them all).

Respect Alisttair! Guess there are not many here who can say so.

So.. lots of idle time to resurrect Karsus until new novels are published?

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2011 :  15:14:11  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I liked the Lady Penitent series... a lot! There have been quite a lot of people who were bothered about what happened to the pantheon, as some kind of prequel to 4e. But I cannot help it, I liked the series nevertheless. Especially book 2. Seems I got a nag for the middle books...

Thanks, i will check out that series pretty soon.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 13 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000