Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Software
 Computer games addiction
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Jelennet
Learned Scribe

Russia
131 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2011 :  11:48:25  Show Profile Send Jelennet a Private Message  Delete Topic
I think that I'm somewhat a computer game addict, but I'm not a teenager or a man. When I bought NWN2 I spent about 36 hours (without sleeping or eating) playing it without pauses. I only drank some Pepsi. When I bought Mass effect 2 I spent 21 hours playing it non-stop. The same thing almost happened with Dragon age.

What is your record of playing FR and not FR computer games non-stop?

Edited by - Jelennet on 20 Apr 2011 11:49:35

idilippy
Senior Scribe

USA
417 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2011 :  19:09:04  Show Profile Send idilippy a Private Message
Non-stop? 8 hours maybe, though that might be stretching it, probably more like 5-6 hours. I also tend to play a game for a couple weeks at most then rotate on to something else, one reason MMORPGs don't appeal to me since I know I'll spend the money to play for maybe a month before I get tired of it and stop playing for a few weeks or months.
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2011 :  19:14:31  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message
Way back in college, I spent a week straight playing through Baldur's Gate trying to leave not stone unturned before I beat it. Basically, I played for 15 hours, slept for 9, then repeated the process for 5 days.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

GRYPHON
Senior Scribe

USA
527 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2011 :  19:46:39  Show Profile Send GRYPHON a Private Message
About 20 hours at one time...
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2011 :  12:19:05  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message
Sometimes, for about 5 hours, when I had a broken leg or ankle.

I can't stand computer games where you have to walk for hours (like Fallout, plus the ugly environment), what a waste of time.
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2011 :  13:17:19  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Hawkins

Way back in college, I spent a week straight playing through Baldur's Gate trying to leave not stone unturned before I beat it. Basically, I played for 15 hours, slept for 9, then repeated the process for 5 days.

*giggles* I tried to do the same. I beat the game in a week or so, without excessive playing. That means, I ate normally, slept normally and went to school normally, which meant 3-4 hours of play a day.

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4425 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2011 :  14:46:06  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message
At one time, I'd have to say about 7 hours.

When I had summer break from college my friends used to congregrate at my Grandmother's place where all our Computers were hooked up to her LAN and we'd just sit and play BG, Counter-Strike (I still love that game), Unreal Tournament, and even Neverwinter Nights. It was great and we often start playing sometime around 9 or 10 PM and we'd be up when the sunlight came through the dark and dreary basement windows. Great times...

Edited by - Diffan on 21 Apr 2011 14:46:39
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2011 :  15:54:58  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Zireael

quote:
Originally posted by Hawkins

*giggles* I tried to do the same. I beat the game in a week or so, without excessive playing. That means, I ate normally, slept normally and went to school normally, which meant 3-4 hours of play a day.
It may have only been 3 or four days strait of Baldur's Gate. I don't really remember, it was about 9 years ago. I also had just recently picked up Dungeon Siege, so I may have played that the rest of the week after I finished Baldur's Gate. BTW, by "no stone unturned," I meant that I went to every map and killed and looted everything possible before starting the end sequence, in which I then made sure to kill and loot everything possible. =)

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2011 :  06:42:15  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message
-At max, probably four or five hours in one sitting. I used to play plenty of video games, of all different kinds of genres, but I was never one to literally dedicate large chunks of time to just playing and nothing else. I've only played Icewind Dale II and Neverwinter Nights (on the PC; on the Playstation, I played the Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance games and Demonstone), and didn't really ever devote massive amounts of playing time to them. With Neverwinter Nights, I beat the original and the Shadows of Undrentide expansion, but got bored with the Underdark expansion and stopped playing. Still have my character file saved, though, I think.

-When it comes out, I'm gonna be getting that Knights of the Old Republic MMORPG with my girlfriend, so I'll probably devote more time than I'd like to it (I never got into those online games because I've always been afraid I'd get addicted).

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2011 :  18:44:13  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message
When I start a new game, it can easily bind me for at least 4-5 hours without break.
The extreme case was when I started playing Baldur's Gate 2, there I could play for 11 or 12 hours in a row.

Now I can hardly find 2 hours time every 6 months...

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

Jimbobx
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
109 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2011 :  16:25:04  Show Profile Send Jimbobx a Private Message
Back when NWN 1 first came out I could do 4/5 hours on the original modules. Then when I discovered the custom servers and the multiplayer aspect I could do a stretch of 8 hours starting at midnight. But even after I'd be thinking and planning for the next session. Happy days but glad they're over ;)

Rilyetan's Retreat

Jimbob's Waterdeep Journal
Go to Top of Page

Tyranthraxus
Senior Scribe

Netherlands
423 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2011 :  13:10:37  Show Profile  Visit Tyranthraxus's Homepage Send Tyranthraxus a Private Message
I occasionally played for 8+ hours in one go, especially BG and NWN. Taking only breaks to go to the bathroom, grab food and drinks, and for a 5 min smoke break. Nowadays I sometimes spend whole nights developing games, like last monday night because the beta version of our latest game needed to be done for tuesday .
Go to Top of Page

Marc
Senior Scribe

657 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2011 :  21:01:18  Show Profile Send Marc a Private Message
We used to play LAN games like Dota in a club from 9 pm to 3 am, or 5 am. Was addictive for a time.

Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2011 :  22:24:18  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message
Did about 18 hours straight in WoW once, lead 3 Karazhan raids. That was an insane, alcohol-fueled adventure.

Still rockin' the Fey'ri style.
Go to Top of Page

tristar
Acolyte

United Kingdom
1 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2011 :  06:57:33  Show Profile  Visit tristar's Homepage Send tristar a Private Message
About 6 hours without pause..

tristar Lee
Go to Top of Page

meiyo
Acolyte

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2011 :  07:25:35  Show Profile Send meiyo a Private Message
36hours? That's amazing! My record is 11 hours..

Employee monitoring
Spy software
Go to Top of Page

Kno
Senior Scribe

452 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2011 :  11:30:00  Show Profile Send Kno a Private Message
no

z455t
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2011 :  05:22:24  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message
About the most I've done is five-six hours at a stretch, sometimes up to ten, but that was playing Marrowwind and Oblivion, which I did for several weeks at a time. I've spent four or five hours at a shot on NWN, and once ran through the original FF in one sitting with a friend, playing for about twelve hours straight.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2011 :  07:21:50  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message

Back in college, I played DotA for 5 hours non-stop.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2011 :  08:01:17  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message
Haha, does time spent programming (and playtesting and debugging) computer games meet the criteria? If so, then I think I could say I did 12-18 hours per day for over 5 weeks while working on the Homeworld project.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2011 :  17:02:30  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message
-It's become something of a ritual in my family to play Suikoden, a Playstation video game, through, without stopping. Even collecting every single one of the 108 characters, doing all of the sidequests, and getting everything that there is, the game is still relatively short, about 16 hours. I did it, staying up all night, my cousin and I did it, and sometime this summer, I'm going to 'initiate' my half-brother, and do it with him, too.

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2011 :  19:24:59  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
That's one series I really miss. I even enjoyed all the sequels they made even though they were mostly stand alone games not connected to the original.

quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

-It's become something of a ritual in my family to play Suikoden, a Playstation video game, through, without stopping. Even collecting every single one of the 108 characters, doing all of the sidequests, and getting everything that there is, the game is still relatively short, about 16 hours. I did it, staying up all night, my cousin and I did it, and sometime this summer, I'm going to 'initiate' my half-brother, and do it with him, too.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Galuf the Dwarf
Senior Scribe

USA
485 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2011 :  03:07:24  Show Profile Send Galuf the Dwarf a Private Message
Most I've probably managed non-stop is about 8 hours. I didn't quite measure the time honestly. These days, I manage only about 1 to 4 hours maximum, partly due to real-life issues. Life's actually getting relatively fun these days, for one.

Honestly, though, I never racked a lot of hours in one session with a Forgotten Realms/D&D game; that was mostly done when I played World of Warcraft (around the Burning Crusade expansion).

Galuf's Baldur's Gate NPC stats: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8823
Galuf's 3.5 Ed. Cleric Domains: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14036
Galuf's Homebrew 4th Edition Races: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13787
Galuf's Homebrew Specialty Priest PrCs: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14353
Galuf's Forgotten Realms Heralds and Allies thread: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8766
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2011 :  06:03:33  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message
Wow, I've not played Suikoden in forever! I did play that one through in just a few weeks (I take my time and do not mainstream RPG's by any means), and got most of the way through its first sequel. I also spent way too much time on Vandal Hearts and FF Tactics! By far the games I spent the most on were FF 7 and 8, Oblivion, Morrowwind, and Dark Alliance 1 and 2. And Diablo, of course.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2011 :  05:32:33  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

That's one series I really miss. I even enjoyed all the sequels they made even though they were mostly stand alone games not connected to the original.

-Where were whispered rumors that Suikoden VI might be in the early stages of development, since Yoshitaka Murayama, the writer/creator of the Suikoden games, received an offer of employment from "a certain company", which was thought to be Konami. That was over a year ago, though, and absolutely no news has come through the pipes on any kind of development, so that probably isn't happening.

-None of the Suikoden's are/were true sequels; there was a lot of overlap between Suikoden I and II because the Dunan Revolution took place right after the events of Suikoden I, and the Toran Republic and Dunan are neighbors. More time passes, when Suikoden III takes place, and the Grasslands are relatively far from Toran and Dunan, but there's some recurring characters there. Suikoden IV takes place something like 100 years before Suikoden I, and the Island Nations are far from Toran/Dunan/Grasslands, so there's not too much overlap there. The Koolook Empire, which is the aggressor in that game, does border Toran (by that point, in the formative stages of being the Scarlet Moon Empire), though. Suikoden Tactics is something of a sequel to Suikoden IV, and does have a lot of overlapping characters and stories. And, Suikoden V, Falena is an island, near the Island Nations, so there is some overlap there, but still takes place before the events of Suikoden I/II/III, so there aren't too many recurring characters.

-Suikoden Tierkreis takes place in an alternate dimension entirely, so there's absolutely no overlap there (which is a shame). My sister was complaining that she had a Nintendo DS, but no games for it, so I got her that game for her birthday. I was down on it previously, because of the fact that it takes place in an alternate dimension from the other games, but she says it's actually a pretty good game.

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2011 :  17:39:11  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message
I'd like to say about 18 hours, but truthfully, I woke up early, played about 6 hours. Stopped for about an hour to eat and watch tv, played another 5 hours or so, stopped for about an hour to eat, do laundry, do the dishes, etc... played another 5 hours. However, I'm getting tired of EQ2 finally (well, have been for the last year), and Rifts only satisfied me for about a month. I couldn't get into WoW or warhammer due to the graphics still looking like stuff from the late 90's (I am seriously spoiled by EQ2's graphics). I think my days of constant gaming are slowly passing me by.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2011 :  03:08:12  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message

Wait, I take that back. I remember I once played (with my ex, no less) DotA for 12+ hours. He's the very definition of game addiction (he could play 24 hours non-stop), and for a time it kinda rub off on me...

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2011 :  17:34:33  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message
-My girlfriend just bought, and is going to start playing 'City of Heroes'. Anybody play that one?

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

Yoss
Learned Scribe

USA
259 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2011 :  12:46:45  Show Profile Send Yoss a Private Message
Used to be around 16 hr days on my 3 days off on WoW with a RL friend, (and a few hours in the morning when I got home, or at work dependent upon if I was working somewhere near wifi I could "borrow"), but while we both still play occasionally, it's not every day, and not usually +8 hours. Although I definitely see a return to that when SWTOR comes out. Longest though? I think 26 hours, but that still did include two coffee runs/food/and enough smoke breaks to support my pack-a-day habit.
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2011 :  07:59:22  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message
I had always managed to avoid the addiction until one day in early 2002 a friend introduced me to the MMORPG Dark Ages of Camelot. There were multiple 12+ hour day/nights from that point forward and the scariest part was when I looked at my time played. I literally lost years (!!!!) of my life. They probably shouldn't have included that feature.

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2011 :  15:34:21  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message
I d say i ll played for about 10 to 12 hours straight a bunch of times but that was mostly on consoles.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000