Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 A bard as the main character in a Novel?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Elfinblade
Senior Scribe

Norway
377 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2011 :  05:46:04  Show Profile Send Elfinblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Elfinblade

quote:
Originally posted by Arik

quote:
Alystra Illianniis

So I'm cheap and easy, huh? *snickers* Never been called THAT before....
Sorry, Alystra, I just mislike drow, a preference that really has nothing to do with bards.

I notice a lack of any definitive female bards in the Realms. Why is that? Especially considering how much appeal female performers have in our society (especially in the minds of young males).

Elaine's Elfsong has a couple of female bards featuring. Garnet and that dwarven scetch artist bard, which i always thought was a really interesting spin on the bard class. What was her name again, Morganna?

Morgalla the Mirthful.

Ah yes, thanks
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2011 :  06:09:51  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

Sage, if you need any help with that project, I'd be happy to oblige. I occasionally dabble in song-writing along with my other writing work, poems, and the like. I have lots of free time after work to compile ditties, hunt down lyrics if need be (and I have the appropriate resources at hand) etc. And since I'm as fond of music and bards as you are, it would be right up my alley, as it were. Assuming you are interested in collaborating, of course.
I'd happily welcome any input you may have for this. Let me put some rough notes and a concept plan together, and I'll get back to you. [Should you have any ideas about how to proceed in the meantime, feel free to contact me privately, and we'll discuss them.]

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

GRYPHON
Senior Scribe

USA
527 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2011 :  11:12:06  Show Profile Send GRYPHON a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes...
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2011 :  13:42:36  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sketch artist? Morgalla was a political cartoonist.
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2011 :  01:45:22  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

Any chance "Uncle Dan" influenced Azariah and she's bait of a bard?

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2011 :  13:41:38  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

quote:

Any chance "Uncle Dan" influenced Azariah and she's bait of a bard?

Azariah IS a bard, but Danilo was only a minor influence in this. Azariah's mother was a famous actress and dancer. She was raised as a royal ward of Evermeet and trained by elven bards and swordmasters.
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2011 :  18:52:49  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Any chance "Uncle Dan" influenced Azariah and she's bit of a bard?

Azariah IS a bard, but Danilo was only a minor influence in this. Azariah's mother was a famous actress and dancer. She was raised as a royal ward of Evermeet and trained by elven bards and swordmasters.

Wow! In all seriousness I didn't know(or have reason to think) that she is a bard....

How cool is that! Have to say I didnt think we'd get tha bard-centric new novel that quickly!

Thanks Elaine

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2011 :  18:53:45  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Any chance "Uncle Dan" influenced Azariah and she's bit of a bard?

Wow! In all seriousness I didn't know(or have reason to think) that she is a bard....

How cool is that! Have to say I didnt think we'd get tha bard-centric new novel that quickly!

Thanks Elaine

Now if she carried both the family moonblade and a certain singing sword.....would that would be too much?

Edited by - The Red Walker on 23 Mar 2011 18:54:04
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2011 :  03:10:28  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

@ Dennis: I posted some stuff a while back on the subject of music as magic (cosmic symphonies, planetary "music", and related concepts) so to me, the two go hand-in-hand.

To you, yes. But, having read a lot of fantasy books, I daresay that's hardly applied in most fantasy fiction. Spells don't often rhyme and don't even make sense sometimes. Also, most of what I read generally utilize spellcasting via "thoughts." Not a sound at all. If there are, it's but a mention of something like "murmured a spell," or "incanted a spell." Rarely did I encounter "sang a spell," or its variation.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2011 :  03:52:43  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Now if she carried both the family moonblade and a certain singing sword.....would that would be too much?

How about a singing moonblade?

That's actually an interesting thought... We know the former weilders of Arilyn's moonblade were swordswingers and at least one wizard... What kind of power would a bard's moonblade acquire? Interesting to ponder, thinks I.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 24 Mar 2011 03:53:19
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2011 :  05:31:02  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

How about a singing moonblade?

That's actually an interesting thought... We know the former weilders of Arilyn's moonblade were swordswingers and at least one wizard... What kind of power would a bard's moonblade acquire? Interesting to ponder, thinks I.

Oh, I really do like that. And I'd be curious about what it would actually sing? Elven chants, or perhaps meditative arias of fey-origin?

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2011 :  06:14:02  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

quote:

@ Dennis: I posted some stuff a while back on the subject of music as magic (cosmic symphonies, planetary "music", and related concepts) so to me, the two go hand-in-hand.

To you, yes. But, having read a lot of fantasy books, I daresay that's hardly applied in most fantasy fiction. Spells don't often rhyme and don't even make sense sometimes. Also, most of what I read generally utilize spellcasting via "thoughts." Not a sound at all. If there are, it's but a mention of something like "murmured a spell," or "incanted a spell." Rarely did I encounter "sang a spell," or its variation.

True enough, but as I mentioned before, there are plenty of worlds where music (or at least poetry) is magic, as well. And I was really thinking on a more fundamental level, tobe honest. Not so much music as such, but the concept of words and sounds having power. That seems to be a basic theme for nearly all magic-users. The movie Dragonslayer used this to some extent, with Latin chants for the spells, and then there was the magical incantations in Willow. Not music, but they both possessed a certain "musical" quality to the spells.

This is one reason I think magic (and even in RW magical practice) has a fundamental connection to music, whether as poetry, actual song lyrics, humming, insturments, or just certain sounds that hold power. (Planetary "songs" are one of the best examples of how this connection might be shown.) Perhaps the Weave itself has a sonic resonance! How cool would it be to "hear" the Weave? Come to think of it, that ties in nicely with my idea for crystals as focusing tools for spellsongs, as well as how bards connect to the Weave.... Sage, your thoughts?

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2011 :  06:20:34  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A singing sword seems somewhat Arthurian. Mind ye, an all-elfy Arthurian-style campaign seems workable, if ye aren't nauseated by the notion of noble-minded bladesinging elven paladins, knights, and champions questing and heroing and battling their epic deeds reknown across the land to amuse their loyal subjects and the demands of some uppity god or other.

Songblades and bardblades do seem interesting. Moonblades aren't sentient (AFAIK) so it seems to me they wouldn't be able to initiate songs or do many other bardy things unless activated by their wielder. Still, they might be able to "hum" or resonate in harmony, perhaps even magically echo the singer's voice (perhaps even in real time) in a sort of strange duet. They might provide bonuses to resist sonic attacks, charm or hypnotize opponents with a rhythmic pulsing glow, cast shatter upon striking, perhaps function as a chime of disruption and dispel magic within a certain radius (this last might be something of a bard's analogue of a paladin's holy sword). Such a blade might even polymorph into a musical instrument or have a hilt which can serve as a flute or drumstick. A sword which can be struck against the ground/walls to emulate percussive waves of sound and force would be interesting.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 24 Mar 2011 07:09:43
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2011 :  07:44:33  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

This is one reason I think magic (and even in RW magical practice) has a fundamental connection to music, whether as poetry, actual song lyrics, humming, insturments, or just certain sounds that hold power. (Planetary "songs" are one of the best examples of how this connection might be shown.) Perhaps the Weave itself has a sonic resonance! How cool would it be to "hear" the Weave? Come to think of it, that ties in nicely with my idea for crystals as focusing tools for spellsongs, as well as how bards connect to the Weave.... Sage, your thoughts?

That's awesome, and it connects rather nicely with my own ideas about how bards in the Realms, relate to the Weave.

As I see it, bards draw the energy required for casting their spells from the harmonious resonances and vibrations of the individual "arcane strands" that compose the Weave. Each and every bard finds their own individual "strand" that they can pluck, and wholly make their own for the purposes of their unique brand of music-magic. In that one "strand" of the Weave, they compose a symphony of the arcane -- tweaking and tinkering the strand's harmonic relationship with the rest of the Weave.

Thus, 'tis Milil's duty to ensure that these individual strands play in harmony and balance, and provide the desired energies for each and every bard, with each and every spell they cast.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2011 :  08:00:39  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arik

Songblades and bardblades do seem interesting. Moonblades aren't sentient (AFAIK) so it seems to me they wouldn't be able to initiate songs or do many other bardy things unless activated by their wielder.
Bardblades? I'm "borrowing" that, Arik.
quote:
Still, they might be able to "hum" or resonate in harmony, perhaps even magically echo the singer's voice (perhaps even in real time) in a sort of strange duet.
A duet? Most definitely! The scope, range, and capability of a bard's craft could, perhaps, be further increased with the artificial accompaniment provided by the bardblade.

Perhaps, building on my ideas about "strands" of the Weave, each bardblade is crafted from the singular resonance of each strand -- forging a physical connection between bard and strand, and the bard "plays" the blade in order to harness greater bardic abilities that draw their power from the harmonic energy of the strand and, by extension, the Weave.

Which brings me to...
quote:
Such a blade might even polymorph into a musical instrument or have a hilt which can serve as a flute or drumstick. A sword which can be struck against the ground/walls to emulate percussive waves of sound and force would be interesting.

This is something I've already incorporated into my Realms -- musical instruments that can serve as weapons. I didn't think of the polymorph option, though. I merely laid a foundation for bards to individually design their own weapon-musical instruments, like a hammer-yarting, or dagger-longhorn for example.

Edited by - The Sage on 24 Mar 2011 08:02:00
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2011 :  08:26:18  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I remember seeing a sword somewhere in one of the novels, I think, that had a flute for the hilt. It might have been in a source-book, too, but I'm not sure. Perhaps this is what you're looking for, Sage. I've seen bard's blades referenced, also, or at least there is a pic of one from the 3rd ed epic level handbook, I think. And there are singing swords and dancing swords, of course. Danilo had a singing sword, which he enchanted to sing in his own voice, in fact.

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2011 :  08:37:46  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
lol, I stole the term from Bard's Tale (actually first called Tales of the Unknown, Volume I: The Bard's Tale when I played the initial release for the Apple II+, 1985) ... ye could find "Bardblades" (named "Bardswords" in later software releases) and sometimes see them in stock at Garth's Equipment Shoppe.

In this game the bard class could sing (any of six) magical songs which were basically powerful spells; they could sing one song per level before becoming hoarse and requiring an expensive visit to the nearest tavern (each drink replenished one song, lol). Every party had a bard (but not two, since only one song could be played at any given time) because their magics made a big difference (and scaled with their XP levels) and relieved the tedious silence (yeah, no bard in the party equals no background music in this game). The Bardblade/Bardsword was an unremarkably useful weapon with an important ability: it granted the bard the ability to sing/cast more songs without a drinking binge (very useful in the dungeons); I can't recall if the power was limitless or used charges. It couldn't be used by any other class. Now that I think about it, I wonder why any bard in that setting would ever want such a weapon.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 24 Mar 2011 08:51:10
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2011 :  13:25:29  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis Danilo had a singing sword, which he enchanted to sing in his own voice, in fact.

Nope. Dan is a tenor; the singing sword in Elfsong was a baritone.

Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2011 :  13:28:17  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Is that difference important? Not to the general reader, no. But the high note on the chorus is a D above middle C, which sounds more robust and interesting in a baritone timbre.

And yes, the song exists as a melody. Years and eons and lifetimes ago, I scored it for harp, viol da gamba, bodhrun, and optional flute/whistle.
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2011 :  14:23:35  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wasn't there a bit in ...Dream Spheres, I think, where the sword malfunctions a bit and "loses its voice?"

And by the way, the opening few pages of Dream Spheres, with Lilly in the tavern has got to be among the most affecting bits you've written (in my opinion, at least).

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2011 :  14:47:04  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I remember seeing a sword somewhere in one of the novels, I think, that had a flute for the hilt. It might have been in a source-book, too, but I'm not sure. Perhaps this is what you're looking for, Sage.
Now that you mention it, that does sound familiar. My own concept was a little more involved, but I'm starting to recall that flute [and I think it was a dagger, wasn't it?] weapon now.

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2011 :  21:47:18  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dagger? Hmm, maybe. I really can't remember off-hand. I just know it was a bladed weapon.

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2011 :  22:21:56  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

Wasn't there a bit in ...Dream Spheres, I think, where the sword malfunctions a bit and "loses its voice?"

And by the way, the opening few pages of Dream Spheres, with Lilly in the tavern has got to be among the most affecting bits you've written (in my opinion, at least).

Thank you kindly, sir. I liked Lilly. Fantasy novels seldom focus on simple, good-hearted people who aren't cut out to save world, but I enjoyed spending even a short period of time with her.

But I must say, her story made me very sad. Lilly and Dan would have been the best of friends, given half a chance.
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2011 :  01:54:27  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis Danilo had a singing sword, which he enchanted to sing in his own voice, in fact.

Nope. Dan is a tenor; the singing sword in Elfsong was a baritone.

Yes, and he "tweaked" a spell to be able to teach it new songs.

I remember that Arilyn saw it's hilt and thought was Halruuan. And very old.

I would be very interested to know whatever happened to that blade!

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2011 :  03:46:26  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Really? I could swear I remember the scene where he first enchanted it to sing! Cause he later used it against a harpy in the same book, and thought it was funny when everyone looked at him when they heard it. I do remember him teaching it new songs, however.

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2011 :  03:50:24  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The flute-handled sword was from WotSQ. Halisstra takes it from a surface elf Eilistraeen, Feliane maybe? It's been some time since I read that.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Edited by - Fellfire on 25 Mar 2011 03:55:33
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2011 :  04:00:59  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bardblade, huh? that polymorphs into a musical instrument? Good stuff. Just what my Satyr needs. I always thought it somewhat ridiculous for an adventurer bard to be hauling around his instruments into battle.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2011 :  04:08:43  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Really? I could swear I remember the scene where he first enchanted it to sing! Cause he later used it against a harpy in the same book, and thought it was funny when everyone looked at him when they heard it. I do remember him teaching it new songs, however.

Yeah, I just re-read that book a couple days ago....it was already enchanted to sing, he just made it learn new ditties.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2011 :  04:09:24  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Nope, it already sung when he bought it. He didn't like it's singing voice, though, and I seem to recall him dropping the sword the first time it sang. He then used a spell that he originally came up with for adding songs to a magical music box -- he used that on the sword, started singing to it, and eventually it joined in.

That's if I'm remembering it all correctly, of course.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2011 :  04:18:58  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm. I didn't remember it already singing. Then again, it's been several years since I read it.

My stories:

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000