Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Forgotten Seldarine
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2011 :  02:00:09  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I found this scrummaging around in the cellars...

(Could somebody please tell me how to make those nice pretty links, I can't seem to find it in the Forum Code)

[Sage Edit: [URL=*address here*]link word here[/URL] -- just replace the * in my example, with " at both instances]

Thanks Sage!!

Has anybody incorporated this guy or the Kyrashar Rose into their games? How? 3.5 conversion?

Darahl Firecloak (The Even-Tempered, Lord of the Green Flame)
Elven Demigod
Symbol: Two outstretched hands holding a green flame between them
Home Plane: Elemental plane of earth (also Arvandor)
Alignment: Neutral
Portfolio: Earth, flame, and related magic, new beginnings
Worshippers: Drow, druids, elemental savants, earth genasi, elves, exiles, fire genasi, half-elves
Cleric Alignments: CN, LN, N, NE, NG
Domains: Drow, cavern, earth, elf, fire, magic
Favored Weapon: Shortsword

Darahl is a god with a long and checkered past, particularly so for a member of the Seldarine. Long ago he was known as Tilvenar, and he served Rillifane Rallathil, but he suffered a loss of power and prestige when an avatar of his was made insane by touching the Kyrashar Rose (a cursed artifact created by Lolth and the Queen of Air and Darkness to hurt and destroy elves). The insanity spread to several of his avatars, and they rampaged through many communities. In time his avatars were dispatched or cured of their affliction, but the damage was done. The elves largely forsook him and his following withered. Eventually he dropped his old name and began to call himself Darahl Firecloak. By "reinventing" himself, he hoped to begin anew among the elves and eventually to reestablish himself.
Darahl is the master of fire- and earthbased magic and phenomena, and as such has strong ties among gods whose portfolios tie into that. He now considers himself friends with the dwarven deity Dumathoin and several of the gnomish powers (including the halfling god of earth, Urogalan), but at the expense of his friendships among the Seldarine, with whom now he has only a tenuous alliance. However, he's also gained a few new enemies during the course of time. Darahl has not been picky about new converts, so he has tried to sway more neutrally-aligned members of the Underdark races to join with him. This has angered the drow and duergar gods Lolth and Laduguer especially, but he's also gained the unwelcome attention of Kossuth and Selvetarm. It's hard to say who would help him more in a fight, the Seldarine or his new allies, but it isn't something he wants to test just yet.
Darahl's clergy is small but varied. There is some contention between the clerics and some ambitious wizards, bat this is kept in check through Darahl's considerable guidance. An affiliated order of mages known as the Stoneflame Disciples has purportedly made itself known in the Underdark, demonstrating the might of his fire/earth philosophy. (Check for a link later for more information on the Stoneflame Disciple prestige class.)
Darahl is venerated at the outset of a new venture or discovery, whether it's a new tunnel into the Underdark, a new magical item of an elemental nature, or a new convert to be brought into the faith. He is also worshipped during tremors, forest fires, and other such natural phenomena, but it's more for his help in finding a way to end such occurrences. At such times, precious minerals or items of minor magic are sacrificed or left behind as offerings to him. Typical clergy attire varies, bat robes of yellow, red, and brown (decorated with green flaming symbols, some magical) are favored. Earrings and necklaces are also common to show religious affiliation. When anticipating battle, they protect themselves as best they can and arm themselves to the teeth (spell scrolls, weapons, etc.). They're a small priesthood at the moment, and none of them is considered expendable.

DM notes: Darahl is an elven deity who strays from the usual accepted elven themes, but this is precisely what makes him interesting. He should fit right in as a misfit god in anyone's campaign. In addition, if anyone makes use of rock elves (first found in the Realms Below 2E mega-campaign set), consider Darahl Firecloak to be their patron deity.

New Wizard Class: The Pyrogean Wizard

The Pyrogean Wizard is a class of wizard who has managed to specialize in both earth- and fire-based magic, thanks to the efforts of the demipower Darahl Firecloak. They're rare at the moment and primarily found in the Underdark among renegade drow and half-drow wizards, but slowly a few are appearing among his surface elven followers.
Pyrogean wizards can be drow, elven, half-elven, half-drow, or human, mast have Intelligence scores of 16 or higher, and have access to all schools of magic except the elenental schools of Air and Water. They have the following powers:
· +2 on saves vs. Earth /fire based spells; -2 on opponents' saving throws.
• +25% bonus to learn earth/fire spells, +0% bonus to learn universal spells, -25% to learn all others.
• Can memorize one additional spell/spell level, provided the spell is from the schools of Earth or Fire.
• At 11th level, need not concentrate in order to control earth or fire elementals (5% chance of losing control remains in effect); at 14th level, there is no chance of losing control.
• Spells of earth and fire are treated as one level lower when being researched by a pyrogean wizard;
· Use d6 for determining hit points;
Hindrances: Pyrogean wizards must be of some neutrally-based alignment, as the philosophy of Darahl Fired oak heavily influences their own philosophy on this particular study of elemental magic. Moreover, they face a certain distrust among surface elves, as well as outright hatred among drow of opposing faiths. They currently suffer a +2 reaction penalty among surface elves and a +4 penalty among drow who worship any of the major drow gods (+6 among worshippers of Ghaunadaur especially). The exception are followers of Eilistraee, whom they tolerate, and followers of those gods with whom Darahl is friendly. The negative penalty among surface elves might disappear as more become acquainted with their beliefs and views on magic, but it is not likely to change in the Underdark except in cities where multiple faiths are the normal-and it will become no less dangerous, as fights between faiths and wizards never cease among the drow.

Major Artifact: the Kyrashar Rose

This artifact was created by followers of Lolth and the Queen of Air and Darkness. Soulless elves under the control of the Queen of Air and Darkness took a Black Shard and used it to cut into an oak tree, causing it to bleed as it died. Into this mixture was added the poison from a thousand black roses. Then Lolth's avatar appeared, magically transformed the sap into the shape of a rose, then caused it to harden into amber (but with a greater strength than even steel or mithral). Because some of the residue of the Black Shard fell in with the sap, it became a very potent weapon for use against good elves. It is said to have caused Darahl Firecloak's avatars to go murderously insane, thus attesting to its efficacy.

Powers

Darkness, darkness 10' radius, or continual darkness 1/round.
Access to Illusion/Phantasm spells (two spells of each
Circle of Death spell that affects elves and faeries only (Will save, DC 20)), 1 /day; fly and levitate at will.
Summon 1-3 yeth hounds or quicklings 1 /day, they serve for 1 hour before leaving
Summon 3-36 unseelie faeries or 2-20 evil elves (or drow)1/week
Wearer has +4 Charisma with regard to drow and evil faeries/elves.
Charm or suggestion 3/day; In the case of suggestion, evil actions suggested to good creatures do not incur saving throw bonuses to resist, and elven charm resistance doesn't offer protection from charm.
Create food and water 1/day-Those eating this food must make a successful Constitution check or become dominated by the wielder, doing their bidding in any way possible so that they can have more of this magical feast as a reward.
Poison by touch, l /day.

Side-Effects
The Kyrashar Rose was created to cause havoc among elves, spread evil, and destroy the grip of the Seldarine. Whenever the circle of death, darkness, or summoning powers are used, there is a 9% base chance that the attention of Lolth and/or the Queen of Air and Darkness is drawn to them. This chance increases by 1%/level of the one using the powers of the Rose, increasing to 100% if the wielder is a proxy, Chosen, or avatar of a deity of the Seldarine. If this occurs, the wielder must must make a saving throw at -5 or become dominated by these two deities. Depending on the status of the Rose's wielder, either Lolth or the Queen of Air and Darkness becomes the primary dominator, issuing commands as desired and turning the wielder chaotic evil. In the case of an avatar in contact with the Kyrashar Rose, however, both goddesses work together and issue contradictory commands to break down the avatar's mind and cause the avatar to blame the nearest elves for its madness, seeking to slay them. This homicidal frenzy does not stop until the avatar is slain or avatars of other elven deities show up to cast heal and dispelling spells to end the domination effect.
Another side-effect concerns good or neutral-aligned elves who touch or use the Rose for any non-evil purpose. If three such attempts are made and the wielder resists the domination of both deities, the thorns on the stem of the rose prick the wielder, who must save vs. poison at -3 or suffer the Fate of the Sleeping Death. The wielder immediately falls into a deep slumber and cannot be awakened by any means short of a limited wish (which awakens the victim for only 1d4 turns) or a full wish. Ironically, the victim does not age and cannot be harmed by any force while in this state.

Suggested Means of Destruction:
· Sending the rose to the elemental plane of fire to burn into ash.
Having Corellon Larethian strike the rose with his sword in Arvandor

Originally posted by zemd

edit:
whoa, my bad
Originally by Chris Perry, Dragon mag #251

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Edited by - Fellfire on 11 Mar 2011 05:34:30

Aryalómë
Senior Scribe

USA
666 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2011 :  02:55:42  Show Profile Send Aryalómë a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Where did you find this?
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2011 :  05:39:06  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I also found a reference to Zandilar the Dancer while searching for Arik's mysterious "Elven Devil." She was apparently a goddess of the Yuir elves which I think are more commonly known as Star Elves. I know some scribes may be interested.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Edited by - Fellfire on 11 Mar 2011 05:40:01
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2011 :  05:47:15  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't recall the specifics, Fellfire. Certainly an actual god and an elf, therefore I assume one of the Seldarine. He was described as being incredibly attractive, sophisticated, passionate, mischievous and rakish; basically the usual Seldarine qualities. He was also described as being a vampire, being a creature of inner dichotomy and representing insatiable predatory hunger and dark lusts. I'm somehow reminded of Frey and Loki, I don't remember why. He might actually be he/she, taking different gender when night falls (though that might be some other god). I think it was in some Ravenloft supplement, perhaps Van Richten's Guide to Vampires, perhaps something to do with Strahd or Ravenloft domains ... sorry, it's been roughly two decades since I read any of those sourcebooks. He most certainly was not Jander Sunstar, the vampiric sun elf.

[Edit]

Another possibility is that he was described as a demon lord of some Abyssal layer. Detailed in any one of countless sources, though not detailed (I think) in any issues of Dungeon, Dragon, Polyhedron, or White Dwarf.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 11 Mar 2011 05:59:02
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2011 :  05:49:22  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's a place to start, thanks Arik! I'll have me a looksee.

edit: Hmmm, nothing there. I'm working on getting all of my books to PDF with OCR to run keyword searches and there is nothing in the Monster Hunter's Compendium: Volume 1.

Misanthorpe

Edited by - Fellfire on 11 Mar 2011 06:03:52
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2011 :  05:52:07  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've got that issue. It has several other obscure elven deities in it, too.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2011 :  05:57:38  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think it was Kanchelsis, Arik. It sounds like him, though he might have been under a different name. I remember it being in the Moster Mythology book, along with Mellifluer and some other undead gods. In fact, that'sthe only source I know of with ANY mention of the vampire god known as "the Rake".

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2011 :  06:08:05  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

I think it was Kanchelsis, Arik. It sounds like him, though he might have been under a different name. I remember it being in the Moster Mythology book, along with Mellifluer and some other undead gods. In fact, that'sthe only source I know of with ANY mention of the vampire god known as "the Rake".

Might you be thinking of "Mastraacht," Alystra? Monster Mythology says that Kanchelsis is known as Mastraacht "in some worlds," but does not specify which worlds these are.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2011 :  06:08:09  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I did find THIS website listing many, many deities.

Ha ha! including Bock-Booock, Patron Lord of all Fowl creatures.

Misanthorpe

Edited by - Fellfire on 11 Mar 2011 06:18:18
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2011 :  06:18:14  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, yes! That's the one, Sage. Once again, you jog my failing memory. Boy, is it getting tired from all the jogging, LOL!!!!

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2011 :  06:47:00  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Combing through my memory, I think his name is Mastaracht, a being of two natures.

In his aspect as The Rake he is a sophisticated, arrogant, and beautiful half-elf with noble bearing and depraved tastes, he (along with all sorts of vampires) dwells in an opulent Abyssal palace filled with living sculptures, he savours goblets of blood flavoured with perfumes and opiates, he loves flattery and finery and is a master sophisticate and sword duelist, he seduces exotic partners to feed his unspeakable debauchery, sadism, and endless hunger.

In his aspect as The Beast he is a monstrous, ravening, rending wolf-like creature who tears his victim's throats and gulps their blood with utterly insatiable hunger, rage, and hate (he is often the leader of a massive wolf pack).

He is half-elven, cursed with vampirism and outcast by Corellon as punishment for having "tainted" blood; the Seldarine do not speak of him and are ashamed of their part in allowing him to exist. His avatar has hypnotically glowing red eyes and is usually accompanied by (charmed and very dangerous) beautiful female elven vampires. He often enjoys hunting (for good-aligned priests) or finding all manner of debauchery in large cities until chased away by his nemesis, another outcast Seldarine (some champion in the fight against evil elves whose name I also can't recall). His worshippers are elder vampires (who believe he is the first vampire and creater of their race), vampyres, and wights.

Where would I find information on Kanchelsis?

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2011 :  06:47:41  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
lmao, out of date info, Sage beat me to it. That's what I get for thinking too long.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2011 :  06:52:37  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kanchelsis, Maastracht, same deity, there is some decent homebrew towards the beginning of the Kanchelsis and Elven Vampires thread. Monster Mythology is the only other source I can find and I've searched far and wide. Thanks for taking the time to look.

For your convenience

Sorry for getting these threads all tangled up, Sage.

Misanthorpe

Edited by - Fellfire on 11 Mar 2011 06:59:08
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2011 :  07:10:05  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arik

Where would I find information on Kanchelsis?

As I said elsewhere, Kanchelsis was created by Carl Sargent for Monstrous Mythology. He was not mentioned in Libris Mortis, but he gets a mention in Fiendish Codex I and DRAGON #359.

And, also, for the sake of completeness, another currently on-going discussion about the vampire god.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2011 :  07:31:12  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
More on Zandilar and other gods of the Yuir from Spellbound pages 52-53. The info on Reklath may be interesting to the Scribes participating in the Elder Treant thread.

The Gods of the Yuir
In addition to their reverence for the Seldarine, the ancient Yuir elves worshiped a pantheon of forgotten gods that apparently vanished with the decline of the Yuir. There have been recent stirrings that the gods of the Yuir might soon return. A general description of several Yuir gods follows.

Relkath of the Infinite Branches
This powerful, chaotic, and unpredictable deity resembles a treant of enormous size. The Yuir claimed that he often strode the land and that great forests sprang up where his heavy, rooted feet touched the ground. He was a defender of the Yuir but sometimes victimized them as well, transforming priests into trees and villages into forests. Some halfelves believe Relkath is simply another face of the leaflord Rillifane Rallathil.

Zandilar the Dancer
A beautiful and seductive blueskinned elven woman, Zandilar was a goddess of love somewhat like Hanali Celanil and Sune, although her portfolio was more oriented toward passionate, physical love, which burned hot and quickly but eventually died out. She was at once a joyful and tragic deity and is said to have used her feminine wiles to gain vital information from deities of other pantheons and to persuade human chieftains and kings to leave the Yuir in peace. Her worship is similar to that of the human deity Sharess.

Elikarashae
A mighty elven warrior who bore three great weapons: the spear Shama, which could speak to elven warriors of pure heart and noble mind; the sling Ukava, that never missed; and the club Maelat, which could only be wielded in defense of the Yuir. Elikarashae fought many of the Yuir's enemies and was finally lifted up to Arvandor and made a god.

Misanthorpe

Edited by - Fellfire on 11 Mar 2011 07:33:04
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2011 :  07:32:31  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been reading the title of that scroll for weeks and thus far routinely ignored/dismissed it entirely, Sage. My bad.

lol, yeah, same god different name. I'll try to dig up the module when I get home.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2011 :  07:35:49  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Too bad, Arik. I know that Orcs interest you far more than Elves, but I'd value any input you may have on the lore I'm brewing up.

Misanthorpe

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2011 :  07:45:09  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've already said all I can possibly recall from playing through a Ravenloft module involving Mastraacht (circa 1990, lol, my mispelling of the name was why I couldn't find any google), and I remember the cover art so it shouldn't be hard to name once I look through my group's collection.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2011 :  13:27:15  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No worries. Thanks for that. I was hoping for your thoughts not your memories (impressive powers of recollection , btw.) I was unaware that Mastraacht/Kanchelsis featured in any mod. I thought I had found every scrap of lore available. But some threads hold zero interest for us. I, myself, have ignored a few recently. Particularly the more inflammatory ones. I understand your growling misanthrope quote. It sickens me the way people treat each other sometimes, even around here. I guess it shouldn't surprise me.

Misanthorpe

Edited by - Fellfire on 11 Mar 2011 21:47:45
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2011 :  18:55:00  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Haven't read the whole thread (yet), but I know Zandilar was absorbed by Sharess (Baast). In fact, I think Baast's Sharess aspect may have come-about soon after the absorption.

I consider ANY god from any setting as FR-canon, simply because of Planesacpe (not to mention Ravenloft and Spelljammer). If a deity is a deity, and can move into new spheres, that means that ANY deity, from ANY source, is usable. It could be a small cult in some distant, wilderness region, or that meets in a basement in Waterdeep, or it could even be that just one character worships this deity, who may have found out about them through 'ancient writings', or from another world (portal/planer travel, an SJ wanderer, etc). there is a (canon) entire library on 'foreign deities' inside one of the cities in the desert of desolation series, which goes into detail abut nearly every pantheon available in the 1e DD (like Greek and Norse). That means these 'gods' were known to the Imaskari (although obviously not worshiped by them - probably just research pertaining to which human groups could be kidnapped & enslaved without attracting the most attention).

I allowed My son to worship Kord in the Realms (because he was a Priest and used the PHB to make the choice, before I told him he couldn't use that list). I just made it so that his village was a settlement founded by GH refugees).

In all the above cases, it can be construed that such deities either have (or are trying to establish) a presence in Realmspace, or that they are the same being as an FR deity (who could just be granting spells to the other god's followers, or actually BE a multi-spheric entity with numerous aliases). You don't have to 'nail-down' the precise reason, simply because it doesn't matter. The SJ rules imply that 'someone' will grant you your spells, in whatever sphere you are in.

EDIT: A bit closer to the Topic; Lord_Karsus and I worked-out a long time ago a list of possible Yuir Totems (including an original 'Black Archer', who was replaced sometime later in the pantheon by Shevarash). It was some pretty cool Homebrew brainstorming, for the Elven Netbook project. We also connected Umberlee to some 'unknown evil released in the depths' off the coast of Aglarond (mentioned in the 1e source on that region), and surmised she may have been one of these Yuir Totems (who were probably all archfey, in 4e terminology).

There is also at least one canon mention of Poseidon in the Realms, who I have decided was Deep Sashelas (who is actually a multi-spheric and ancient power who goes by MANY names, including Njörđr, of the Vanir). I think the name itself came from a group of Dathite peoples who settled in the Bloodstone lands. Deep sashelas (under another name?) may have also been one of the Yuir Totems. (strictly conjecture, mind you, based upon various canon sources).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 11 Mar 2011 21:50:45
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2011 :  19:34:09  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My "powers of recollection" aren't impressive enough, lol. The climax of the module involved a conflict between one of Mastraacht's avatars (trapped and flourishing on Ravenloft) and the other outcast Seldarine, with us (the players) caught in the middle. I can't recall many details of this other Seldarine: he eternally crusades against evil elves and views Mastraact as an abomination even worse than a drow, he was outcast from the Seldarine because of his (for an elf) unhealthy obsessions and grudges, he used an awesome silver/mithril sunblade. I gotta find the module and learn his name.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2011 :  22:04:25  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wish you the best of luck in your search. I've managed to contact certain underlings, evil spirits, secretaries of secretaries and other assorted minions, but they haven't turned up anything about Ravenloft and Mastraacht. My curiosity is aroused. Mithril Sunblade you say? I must know.

Misanthorpe

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2011 :  02:15:00  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
MT wrote: "I consider ANY god from any setting as FR-canon, simply because of Planesacpe (not to mention Ravenloft and Spelljammer). If a deity is a deity, and can move into new spheres, that means that ANY deity, from ANY source, is usable. It could be a small cult in some distant, wilderness region, or that meets in a basement in Waterdeep, or it could even be that just one character worships this deity, who may have found out about them through 'ancient writings', or from another world (portal/planer travel, an SJ wanderer, etc). there is a (canon) entire library on 'foreign deities' inside one of the cities in the desert of desolation series, which goes into detail abut nearly every pantheon available in the 1e DD (like Greek and Norse). That means these 'gods' were known to the Imaskari (although obviously not worshiped by them - probably just research pertaining to which human groups could be kidnapped & enslaved without attracting the most attention).....

In all the above cases, it can be construed that such deities either have (or are trying to establish) a presence in Realmspace, or that they are the same being as an FR deity (who could just be granting spells to the other god's followers, or actually BE a multi-spheric entity with numerous aliases). You don't have to 'nail-down' the precise reason, simply because it doesn't matter. The SJ rules imply that 'someone' will grant you your spells, in whatever sphere you are in."

MT, I could KISS you!! (But I won't- hubby might get jealous, lol!) That idea is PERFECT for my off-world paladin who is trying to establish a link to his god in the FR. Since there is no god in Faerunn who really fits the same mold (Think Zeus or Thor/Odin) he had temporarily lost his powers until he could begin to introduce his deity into Faerun. Made him a VERY grumpy fellow for a while, lol!

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2011 :  03:30:33  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

MT wrote: "I consider ANY god from any setting as FR-canon, simply because of Planesacpe (not to mention Ravenloft and Spelljammer). If a deity is a deity, and can move into new spheres, that means that ANY deity, from ANY source, is usable. It could be a small cult in some distant, wilderness region, or that meets in a basement in Waterdeep, or it could even be that just one character worships this deity, who may have found out about them through 'ancient writings', or from another world (portal/planer travel, an SJ wanderer, etc). there is a (canon) entire library on 'foreign deities' inside one of the cities in the desert of desolation series, which goes into detail abut nearly every pantheon available in the 1e DD (like Greek and Norse). That means these 'gods' were known to the Imaskari (although obviously not worshiped by them - probably just research pertaining to which human groups could be kidnapped & enslaved without attracting the most attention).....

In all the above cases, it can be construed that such deities either have (or are trying to establish) a presence in Realmspace, or that they are the same being as an FR deity (who could just be granting spells to the other god's followers, or actually BE a multi-spheric entity with numerous aliases). You don't have to 'nail-down' the precise reason, simply because it doesn't matter. The SJ rules imply that 'someone' will grant you your spells, in whatever sphere you are in."

MT, I could KISS you!! (But I won't- hubby might get jealous, lol!) That idea is PERFECT for my off-world paladin who is trying to establish a link to his god in the FR. Since there is no god in Faerunn who really fits the same mold (Think Zeus or Thor/Odin) he had temporarily lost his powers until he could begin to introduce his deity into Faerun. Made him a VERY grumpy fellow for a while, lol!

You don't even need that. All you need is the spell contact home power, which would allow you, from any sphere, to make contact with your deity and regain all clerical spells and abilities. And the spell is only 1st or 2nd level, and you can receive 1st and 2nd level spells pretty much anywhere, even if your power is not worshipped in the sphere you're in.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2011 :  03:46:08  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sadly, the Pali doesn't have that spell. He had to try to OPEN a connection to his deity, since he could not make one on his own. And without any priests around, he can't attend to some of his duties to the faith, either- and it is REALLY difficult to find absolution for transgressions!

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2011 :  04:28:11  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Sadly, the Pali doesn't have that spell. He had to try to OPEN a connection to his deity, since he could not make one on his own. And without any priests around, he can't attend to some of his duties to the faith, either- and it is REALLY difficult to find absolution for transgressions!

You're missing part of my point: since the spell is low enough in level, he would be able to ask for it and get it -- and thus would be able to make the full connection to home.

Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2011 :  05:04:48  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Besides the "Lost Seldarine" article from Dragon #251, I have also found an article entitled "The Seldarine Revisited" also by Chris Perry from Dragon #236. Included there are several lesser known elven gods including Rellavar Danuvien, the Frost Sprite King. A Seldarine that by all appearances is the patron god of certain types of fey. This seems to lend some credence to some of Markus' theories regarding their origin. Also noted are Araleth Letheranil, the Twilight Rider, Prince of Starlight, Kirith Sotheril, goddess of enchantment and divination (whom also may be of interest to certain Scribes), Mirila Taralen, the Songstress, Patron of Bards and Minstrels, Naralis Analor, goddess of healing magics, Tarsellis Meunniduin, Patron of Snow Elves and Lord of the Mountains and Tetherin Veralde' the Shining One, Master of Blades the ultimate Bladesinger.

Misanthorpe

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2011 :  06:02:08  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wooly- Wouldn't he have to HAVE a connection already in place to ask for it in the first place? Seems kind of a Catch-22. Besides, he would have to have known of the spell, which he doesn't. (Besides, it makes for some fun RP to have him trying to establish such a link without any knowledge of said spell or priests around to aid him.) Clerics and Palis get to ask for their spells, but they still have to know which spells they wish to pray for. (And I don't have that particular spell in my sources anyway. I had no idea it existed!)

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2011 :  14:13:09  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Wooly- Wouldn't he have to HAVE a connection already in place to ask for it in the first place? Seems kind of a Catch-22. Besides, he would have to have known of the spell, which he doesn't. (Besides, it makes for some fun RP to have him trying to establish such a link without any knowledge of said spell or priests around to aid him.) Clerics and Palis get to ask for their spells, but they still have to know which spells they wish to pray for. (And I don't have that particular spell in my sources anyway. I had no idea it existed!)

Again, he can get spells up to and including 2nd level without having a connection to his deity. So he could get this spell, then make the connection home to get the rest.

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2011 :  02:50:12  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah. I see. I'll have to look over his stats again to see just how much benefit he would have without it. Aside from spells, though (which he hardly even uses) what powers would a pali have without it? I'm just not sure how that would all work without any knowledge that the spell even existed. Can't ask for or get something if you don't know about it, after all.

Back on Topic, is there a link to the second article? I'd like to see more about some of those gods.

My stories:

Edited by - Alystra Illianniis on 14 Mar 2011 02:51:46
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2011 :  12:22:09  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Any luck, Arik, digging up that module? I've run many searches and can find references (and indeed do remember) a magical Sunsword, wielded by Strahd's brother, I think, and a potent holy symbol, but no mention of Mastraacht or any other elven deities anywhere in Ravenloft.

Misanthorpe

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000