Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 An RAS poll
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Tarloc
Acolyte

USA
37 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2011 :  06:58:03  Show Profile Send Tarloc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i wish i was that disciplined. save a lot of "no! it cant end there!" from happening. end of siege of darkness and silent blade two salvatore that cliffhang.

"hey, you just rolled two natural twenties!"
"is that a touchdown?"
Go to Top of Page

Shifty
Acolyte

Canada
2 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2012 :  05:15:29  Show Profile Send Shifty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love RAS’s books and still eagerly await each new release... then hoard it away to save for a day when I really need a good book to soak into. But that said, I agree with others here and would really enjoy seeing him write some more non-Drizzt FR stuff.
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2012 :  11:13:06  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have liked all of his books, cant say that any have been bad and have loved quite a few.
But then once i become a fan of a particular author or series i tend to be very loyal.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2012 :  00:24:30  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thauranil

But then once i become a fan of a particular author or series i tend to be very loyal.

Agreed. Often, I even "forgive" any inconsistencies or shortcomings. [That doesn't mean I like RAS, though.]

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2382 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2012 :  04:05:37  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My problem with Salvatore is that he's a really good writer and an outrageous hack. Without the first part, there won't be a good reason to read, without second there won't be a reason to roll eyes in pain.
I mean, as in "writing blocks don't stop him, and not in a good sense". So it's one good page, two fair pages, then oops... here it rolls: blunt tool villain ball strikes, then emo-conan (not just The Dark And Brooding One - the protagonist of Cleric is exactly like him sometimes), one fair page, then a 5-ton villain ball set to stun, half a fair page, kindergarten philosophy, one fair page, villain ball. At this point i'm about to close it and never ever open again, but! Look, the author got a new bout of inspiration, so it's good. I know there will be two pages of really good text plus four of palatable, then a villain ball is going to hit so hard my eyes will roll under the table to spin and bounce there for a hour... but keep reading.
Of course, later Salvatore is way better writer than early, and at times shows a lot of common sense, but the trend didn't just go away, there's just more good and fair pages between various villain balls, emo-conan, and weird attempts at "philosophical" musings.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2012 :  11:42:25  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

quote:
Originally posted by Thauranil

Agreed. Often, I even "forgive" any inconsistencies or shortcomings. [That doesn't mean I like RAS, though.]

Well me too. I mean I have pretty much every Stars Wars book written even those by authors that i hate like Karen Traviss( don't get me started)I suppose i have a bit of a collectors mentality.
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2012 :  11:46:24  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@ Tebeholder
Of course, later Salvatore is way better writer than early, and at times shows a lot of common sense, but the trend didn't just go away, there's just more good and fair pages between various villain balls, emo-conan, and weird attempts at "philosophical" musings.
[/quote]

Yeah the philosophical musings can be annoying. Especially when Cadderly
goes into one of his funks.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000