Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 An RAS poll
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2011 :  16:58:54  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

That was Alisttair, Sage. I was kinda looking forward to it because I wanted to read spoilers---I wanted to know if I'd really want to buy the book or not, as I was mildly intrigued by Tam and Shade's little involvement.

Yes t'was I. Had I known it would go on Sage's Vortex To Do list thingy, I would have bumped the thread

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2011 :  18:10:03  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Or maybe asked Big Al.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2011 :  00:55:14  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

quote:

That was Alisttair, Sage. I was kinda looking forward to it because I wanted to read spoilers---I wanted to know if I'd really want to buy the book or not, as I was mildly intrigued by Tam and Shade's little involvement.

Yes t'was I. Had I known it would go on Sage's Vortex To Do list thingy, I would have bumped the thread

'Ware that it doesn't swallow you whole.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2011 :  01:50:17  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Btw, Alystra , I already bough The Pirate King. It's on top of my To-Read list now. So when I'm done writing certain articles and rereading Unclean and Wrath of a Mad God, I'll devour it. As this is the very first Drizzt novel I'm going to read, I'll no doubt have a lot of questions about him and other characters important to the story. Hopefully, you and some other RAS readers will be around by then. Your 'charm person' seems to have finally worked on me.

*rubs hands together and grins evilly* Mwahahaha! My nefarious plan is working.... Er, I mean, enjoy the book, dennis! (And if you'd like a "less emo" drow, I have a tale or two in the second link in my siggy- they are under the headings of "Duckie's Fantasy Stuff", and "Darksong: Mature Fantasy", respectively. The Fantasy Stuff one has two tales, though the first one has nary a drow in sight and is unrelated to the other two- the second story therein is actually the "sequel" to the one in Darksong.)

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2011 :  05:25:51  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

I thought someone shared the Chapters and such for Gauntylgrym with Sage.......he must have laid it on his to do vortex!

Just to be sure, I just sent the chapterization of Gauntlgrym to Sage, myself.

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

Drizztsmanchild
Learned Scribe

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2011 :  08:11:21  Show Profile  Visit Drizztsmanchild's Homepage Send Drizztsmanchild a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dennis: Just a thought....If I were you as a fan of Thay And Shade reading(I assume from a previous post) I probably wouldn't want Drizzt in that area...at least until his plot armor is considerably lower;-).
There are 5 books remaining under RAS current contract. More than enough for Drizzt to take Ao's place...kidding;-)

Edited by - Drizztsmanchild on 23 Jan 2011 08:12:28
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2011 :  08:51:08  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I appreciate the advice, Drizztsmanchild. Only, sometimes, I can endure seeing not so interesting characters as long as my favorites are around and are given equal or more 'screen time.' I recall, I used to dislike Cale when I read the Erevis Cale trilogy. And I told myself never to read any other novels or short stories where he's featured. But suddenly came the Twilight War trilogy. How on earth could I resist that, given my interest in all things Netherese? So, even if I'm not interested in Drizzt (though, I don't dislike him, either----just indifferent), if he happens to be in Thay, in Shade or somewhere else fighting or allying with the Red Wizards and the Shadovar, I will read the book.

I'm not sure about Gauntlgrym, though, because as some noted, the involvement of Thay and Shade is so little, close to none.

Go to Top of Page

Drizztsmanchild
Learned Scribe

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2011 :  09:37:59  Show Profile  Visit Drizztsmanchild's Homepage Send Drizztsmanchild a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dennis: it is true Drizzt involvement in Shade affairs in the last book is merely regulated to fighting them. But since you're a devoted fan of the Shade and Thay rather than a casual one...I believe you will like the book...even with the small amount of Shadyness and Thayocracy that it entails....the next one in the series will probably entice you more. Its good to have a little backstory...even if its from the cliffnotes...errm I mean the book club thread.;-)
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2011 :  10:47:47  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
At the moment, only time can tell...

Go to Top of Page

Arcanus
Senior Scribe

485 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2011 :  00:01:35  Show Profile  Visit Arcanus's Homepage Send Arcanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll never forgive him for side lining wulfgar.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2011 :  11:37:58  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I still consider "Bruenor" one of the finest dwarven names I've ever encountered. Though the namesake character never quite managed to shake off his heavy classic '80s-style "cantankerous hardened blacksmith/fighter dwarf" stereotyping; the Bouldershoulder brothers managed to fare much better. At least Bruenor wasn't an interchangeable axe-swinging Gimli clone, like too many others.

Drizzt is a fantastic character and RAS did an admirable job of evolving a "kewl" 2-page monster entry from the 1E FF into what we know as the drow and the Underdark of the Realms. But Drizzt has sadly become an immortal icon and popular demand has kept him away from achieving a properly heroic retirement/death, so he and his tales have become rather uninteresting to me. I wonder how it would've turned out if RAS had chosen to write about an exiled renegade gith instead.

I'd probably read more RAS if he wrote less about Lolth, drow, spiders, and Underdark, more about anything else. He is a skillful and creative author, I'm just bored with the topics/characters he most often publishes.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 02 Feb 2011 11:39:18
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2011 :  12:28:15  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

You might want to read his non-FR novels. I heard those have quite a number of brawlers, which if I'm right, you're fond of.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2011 :  13:13:04  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Brawlers and blasters used to appeal to me. Not so much after I became more critical about technical writing elements and thus a little jaded by "predetermined" outcomes which milestone a character's progress through his story.

What I look for most in fiction these days is provocative and complex character interactions. The Erevis-Mask alley scene is one FR example I consider quite brilliantly done on several levels. Elaine has also always managed to deliver strongly in this regard, even though her writing tends to involve a little less gritty violent manliness and death-blasting than I'd prefer.

I also look for original and creative themes or concepts. FR fiction is too constrained by deeply entrenched "game rules" and setting elements for my tastes, plus it unavoidably needs to constantly feature the latest-greatest D&D contrivations ... so FR comprises an ever-diminishing segment on my fantasy reading list.

It's important for the story to make sense from the point of view of the characters who live within. Maintain verisimilitude, a sense of "realism". A problem with FR (and all other) fanfic is that a lot of different authors are involved ... which (dramatically) affects the thinking and actions of the characters and their world. Szass Tam might be a ruthless murdering manipulator in one novel, or a clever intellectual negotiator in another, and an unpredictable almost irrational madman in yet another — that's a bit weird but still fine, people do change — but no "in setting" reason is given to explain the changing emphasis in his personality, no reason exists beyond different authors describing Szass's tale. I'm a details guy and this sort of thing is a bit of an annoyance to me when it involves shifting paradigms for prominent personages, races and cultures, cities, entire nations ... neo-Thay (or more accurately the people who live there) just makes me grind my teeth. Non-fanfic (or at least single-author fanfic) fantasy suffers much less from issues of inexplicable inconsistency. Note that I'm talking about inconsistencies, not RSEs. (I don't find all RSEs agreeable; but my disagreements are rooted in the "game" setting, not in the Realms setting. So I can accept and try to just enjoy the Realms and the stories for what they are when reading the novels, regardless of how noxious an RSE might be.)

RAS is a fine author. He gave me some great stories, I gave him some tiny fraction of the money I paid for his books. Thanx for the good times, RAS. But I don't wanna read any more about Drizzydrow, and the Realms are only one small world in the fantasy genre, and there's plenty of fiction to read outside of fantasy ... so it's time for me to just move RAS aside and clear a path for fresh new authors.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 02 Feb 2011 13:53:00
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2011 :  06:58:16  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

And that's practically anything and everything under the sun...or inside a bookstore.

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2011 :  21:27:44  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*clears throat* Volunteering.... Kidding. My interest was waning for a while as well, but I'm hoping to rekindle it with this latest book, it that's possible. Unfortunately, Drizzt seems to be the only drow with any staying power in the Realms, not counting Jarlaxle. (Who is, after all, written by the same author, and usually in the same books.) I'd like to see others reach the same kind of popularity without being killed off.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2011 :  21:33:54  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The problem is that the business plan is to create new characters instead of developing existing ones. Drizzt and Elminster(and their associated characters) are the exceptions. Everyone else may get a trilogy, or a cameo at a later date.

"Then I saw there was a way to Hell even from the gates of Heaven"
- John Bunyan, Pilgrim's Progress

Fatum Iustum Stultorum. Righteous is the destiny of fools.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
http://theroleplayersgazebo.yuku.com/directory#.Ub4hvvlJOAY
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2011 :  22:50:08  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Asmodeus

The problem is that the business plan is to create new characters instead of developing existing ones. Drizzt and Elminster(and their associated characters) are the exceptions. Everyone else may get a trilogy, or a cameo at a later date.

I would add Aoth to the exceptions. He's got two trilogies and one more coming. He's spellscarred and would live far longer than ordinary mortals.

Anyway, I would love it if RAS writes at least a trilogy featuring Robillard as the main protagonist.

Go to Top of Page

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2011 :  23:07:02  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I would add Aoth to the exceptions. He's got two trilogies and one more coming. He's spellscarred and would live far longer than ordinary mortals.

Anyway, I would love it if RAS writes at least a trilogy featuring Robillard as the main protagonist.

I would read a book (or books) about Robillard. It would be interesting to see how the end of the Pirate King impacted him. And there are one or two liches that he would have it in for after that book. If his emotions got the better of him I could see him going in to wipe out the remaining High Captains in Luskan (if it were shortly after The Pirate King).

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
-The Sith Code

Teenage Sith zombies, Tulkh thought-how in the moons of Bogden had it all started? Every so often, the universe must just get bored and decide to really cut loose. -Star Wars: Red Harvest
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2011 :  05:35:07  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

And the Harpels deserve their own series, too. Or a novel at least. I like how Drizzt described them in The Pirate King.

Go to Top of Page

Lady Fellshot
Senior Scribe

USA
379 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2011 :  06:38:55  Show Profile  Visit Lady Fellshot's Homepage Send Lady Fellshot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I loved the vorpal bunny. I thought it clever. XD

Rants and reviews that interest no one may be found here.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2011 :  11:26:50  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Regis would disagree. He thought it cruel.

-----

Quick question: In The Pirate King, it was mentioned the Harpels teleported the entire Sea Sprite and her crew. Which novel did it happen?

Go to Top of Page

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2011 :  18:09:06  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

And the Harpels deserve their own series, too. Or a novel at least. I like how Drizzt described them in The Pirate King.

I would be interested to know if the Harpells survived the Spellplague (and the Malarites) and what they are up to. I assume relearning the rules of magic to explore in "new" and "exciting" ways.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
-The Sith Code

Teenage Sith zombies, Tulkh thought-how in the moons of Bogden had it all started? Every so often, the universe must just get bored and decide to really cut loose. -Star Wars: Red Harvest
Go to Top of Page

swifty
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
517 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2011 :  22:58:13  Show Profile  Visit swifty's Homepage Send swifty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

if only video game makers had the same idea. maybe we wouldnt get the same old sequels churned out year after year.

go back to sleep america.everything is under control.heres american gladiators.watch this.shuttup. BILL HICKS.
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2011 :  23:25:27  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Quick question: In The Pirate King, it was mentioned the Harpels teleported the entire Sea Sprite and her crew. Which novel did it happen?

That was in Passage to Dawn. Harkle Harpell does it again!

Good Robillard scenes, too. Don't miss the lighthearted duel between him and Harkle!

quote:
Originally posted by Tyrant

I would be interested to know if the Harpells survived the Spellplague (and the Malarites) and what they are up to. I assume relearning the rules of magic to explore in "new" and "exciting" ways.

(Gauntlgrym spoiler:)
We are told that the family (don't know which individuals) survived and is rebuilding the Ivy Mansion and the town of Longsaddle.
(/spoiler)

Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2011 :  23:32:40  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wanted a "like" option in the poll, instead of "love", but I ended up clicking on love because it was the closest choice.

I notice hiccups in the books, and certainly there's a feeling inside me that I long for something else--something more.

But I am a loyal reader, and I enjoy analyzing the hell out of these stories in order to try to understand them better and defend them against overstated, undeserved criticisms.

That is "love", ain't it?

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2011 :  06:30:37  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Thanks, Beast. I'll buy that later. Our local bookstores are flooding with Drizzt reprints.

Go to Top of Page

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2011 :  22:08:19  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BEAST
quote:
Originally posted by Tyrant

(Gauntlgrym spoiler:)
We are told that the family (don't know which individuals) survived and is rebuilding the Ivy Mansion and the town of Longsaddle.
(/spoiler)

I'm about to start reading Gauntlgrym today, but it's nice to know that I don't have a horrible surprise in store on the Harpell front.

-The Sith Code

Go to Top of Page

Azuth
Senior Scribe

USA
404 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2011 :  05:16:37  Show Profile  Visit Azuth's Homepage Send Azuth a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I think that as Bob has gotten older, his books have taken on the tone of a more accomplished writer. He's always been one of the best authors when it comes to describing battle scenes, and even his early books were fantastic in this account. I like how he carefully transformed Drizzt from worshipping Gwaeron Windstrom to the more canon Mielikki. I had some trouble with how he handled the exit of Wulfgar - it just didn't seem to follow the character's previous journey. I like how he handled Alustriel's appearances...almost (dare I say it?) as good as Ed's writing of her. I know that the two of them converse, so that may have something to do with it. All that being said, I thought the Cleric Quintet and Cadderly in particular was a fantastic endeavor. I found the joining of the two series to be interesting, if a bit sad. I agree with the thread that Robillard would make a great series on his own, and Wulfgar deserves a book on "the missing years" between his departure and death. I suspect that WoTC has been exerting a lot of pressure on him to "conform" to 4E (in other words: we're not writing about that time anymore, so get your books into the year 1479 DR or later!)

On the subject of Cadderly, I found it exquisite in Bob's writings on how Cadderly "found" Deneir, I never really expected the Lord of Glyphs and Images to have a "song" (Milil, yes, Lliira, yes...)but it really made his devotion to Deneir more understandable than any other cleric about whom I've read. Ed's always commented that he wants to concentrate much more on the faiths and less on the deities, and I have to say that Bob did that in the QC...he never even explained what glyphs or images Cadderly found intriguing.

Anyway, I would like to know what has transpired after his last work on Spirit Soaring and Cadderly's task thereafter...especially with the Spellplague.

I'd like to see Ed and Bob write the 5E Realms...maybe resurrect Chronos to put us back to ~1375 DR and undo the Spellplague? That would be a novel I'd buy!

Azuth, the First Magister
Lord of All Spells

The greatest expression of creativity is through Art.
Offense can never be given, only taken.
Go to Top of Page

Dinnin
Seeker

Australia
53 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2011 :  06:50:58  Show Profile Send Dinnin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

Hmm, I was sort of on the fence about this. I voted that I liked most of his novels, but at the same time, I'd like to see more about some otehr characters. I'd especially like to see a book about the Bouldershoulders, or maybe just a book of short stories involving some of his other characters like Nanfoodle or Danica and Cadderly's kids. And more Jarlaxle, please!!! Heck, I'd even take a prequel with him and Zaknafein!

i would have to agree with that, i would love to read about ivan and pikel and def zak and jarlaxle

"Use yer heads! A barnyard goose tastes better 'an a wild one cause it don't use its muscles. The same oughta hold true for a giant's brains!"
Bruenor Battlehammer
Go to Top of Page

Seabus Mythforger
Seeker

76 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2011 :  07:47:56  Show Profile Send Seabus Mythforger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Seeing as it was RA Salvatore's Dark Elf Trilogy that brought me into the Realms, I must say that I love most of his novels. Drizzt and the Companions of the Hall do tend to get stale after a trilogy or two but that's why I've delved further into the Realms themselves. I can read a trilogy of Drizzt and then jump around to Elminster or spend a week in Evermeet with the Fair Folk and when I return to Drizzt, it's like I'm picking up Homeland for the first time again. But as good as Drizzt is to read, I must honestly say, I enjoy Salvatore's dwarves the best. Bruenor is exactly like I've always imagined dwarven folk to be but when I read the Cleric Quintet and was introduced to Pikel Bouldershoulder, my world got turned completely upside down...and for the better!

Overall, I'd have to agree with most people here. There need to be more books about other characters. I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to see a book dealing with Jarlaxle and Zaknafein before the time of Drizzt and he could take it even further back with Jarlaxle to the time when Matron Mother Baenre tried to sacrifice Jarlaxe for being the thrid born child and make a trilogy leading up to when he formed Bregan D'arthe! A book dealing with the Bouldershoulder brothers would be awesome as well! But most of all, we NEED a trilogy about Harkell Harpell and his insanely dangerous family of cooky wizards. For some reason in my head, I like to think of the Harpells as the Addams Family of the Forgotten Realms!

~Seabus Mythforger,
Renegade Mage
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000