Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Escape From Sembia
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2010 :  00:26:00  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So I just got this adventure from some eBay seller... It's not something I'd even heard of, before.

It's a 4E adventure. There is no FR logo anywhere on it, and the copyright blurb on the back doesn't mention anything FR. The adventure background -- a mere two paragraphs -- constitutes most of the Realmslore, and it's basically a blurb. There's also a player's intro, that's a little more of a blurb.

Not much actual Realms content, but then again, it's a 16-page adventure for five 1st level characters. And that 16 pages includes the mostly unadorned front and back covers.

There's no price tag, product code, or UPC. In the adventure, it's described as being a preview for 4E, and there are references to the (then) upcoming releases of the PHB, DMG, and MM.

It's obviously some sort of promo thing... But I don't know if it was some GenCon thing (like the Kidnapped module) or if it was an insert for something else (like the Forgotten Realms Conspectus or What is the Forgotten Realms, Anyway?).

If anyone knows anything more about this adventure, I'd love to know.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2010 :  00:28:24  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I found this, which seems to suggest it's a DDXP thing:

http://rpggeek.com/rpgitem/67157/escape-from-sembia

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2010 :  00:32:37  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

I found this, which seems to suggest it's a DDXP thing:

http://rpggeek.com/rpgitem/67157/escape-from-sembia

Cheers

Yeah, I just went back and looked at eBay and saw this blurb:

"Hard to find Dungeons and Dragons Module from the D&D Minatures League play. These were only available at Hobby Stores where D&D Minis Tournament play took place from 2004 to 2008 and are long out of print."

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2010 :  00:33:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's three more of them on eBay, if anyone else is interested.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2010 :  03:16:52  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This was one of the adventures run at the D&D Experience in Arlington (across the river from Washington, D.C.) a few years back, when the Living FR debuted (the con whereat "Blue" interviewed Ed for the Wizards website, an interview still floating around on YouTube), and the RPGA DMs were learning 4e as they went . . .
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Sandstorm
Seeker

Canada
80 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2010 :  04:12:29  Show Profile  Visit Sandstorm's Homepage Send Sandstorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey THO, Sandstorm here again. Just curious, how does one get involved in such a thing as "premade campaigns" ?? It's not something that I'm assuming is easy to get involved in, it'd be more of a dream job than anything, but something I know I'd have a knack for. If it's not even worth thinking about though, feel free to tell me to keep dreaming ;)
Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2010 :  15:53:54  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

There's three more of them on eBay, if anyone else is interested.

For those non-collectors out there...This RPGA adventure can still be downloaded from the WotC WPN website. At least it is still listed in the download section.

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2010 :  16:31:16  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I aquired the adventure through....ah...other means and it seems like something I might run for my own PCs. Looking forward to running this and then maybe tying it into Keep on the Shadowfell (which takes place in Cormyr using the Conversion from WotC).
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2014 :  11:00:14  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok so its been like 4 years since I talked about this adventure and I haven't run it yet. What I'd like to do is tieit into the Neverwinter campaign setting. I'm thinking the Shadovar can be an easy link between the two. But I'm blanking on how to incorporate then from this adventure to Neverwinter.

ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2014 :  01:36:09  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So I've read the adventure front and back and while it's just a quick blurb of combat and a small intro into the Forgotten Realms, that means that the possibilities are pretty endless and can really take the PCs anywhere. Previously I said that I wanted to incorporate the group into Neverwinter to hook up with that campaign setting, and I still do, however I don't mind a longer road to get there.

So withing the adventure there are some holes (or, a more positive spin, opportunities) within the plot of the adventure that need to be answered.

• 1. The velum scroll. What does it contain? And, more importantly, who can open it without destroying it's contents? Do the PCs go back to the original owner and discuss the situation further? Should they just find a mage to decipher it's contents?

• 2. In connection with the first question, what do the Shades want with the scroll? How can the scroll hurt Shade's efforts in Sembia?

• 3. Ideas for the PCs going forward. The adventure suggests the PCs flee to either the Dalelands or Cormyr, so what's in those areas to offer the PCs more opportunities?

Now I think Shade can be a pretty fun antagonist if done properly and I think at such a low level the scroll has the potential to disrupt small operations of Shade activity in Sembia. But that keeps the PCs pretty mired in that region and I'd like to branch out from there. So maybe some retrieval quests need to come up to further their efforts in Sembia? Something like "they need to go to Myth Drannor to find some information about the Shades (and fight monsters lurking within it's dungeons and lower levels).

What do you think?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000