Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Fey'ri count as elves, right?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2010 :  02:58:51  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HelldoG

BTW. Are the Moonblades (or at least one of them) stated somewhere? And if not, what mechanics and what kind of powers could they follow/have? Something like Legacy Weapons?
All that debating about the Blades made my curious. :P

Well 2nd Edition stated them as starting with +1 to +4 with at least one special ability. As the current, enabled wielder, passed on (with some debate as to if they went to Arvandor or their spirit entered the blade) adding power to the blade.
That is not two Moonblades will be the same, some gained a plus per transition, some gained another special ability.

The special abilities range from charm person, to fly, to sharpness, dancing, flying, and heal with about 20 more various spell effects.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Ionik Knight
Learned Scribe

USA
222 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2010 :  03:07:46  Show Profile  Visit Ionik Knight's Homepage Send Ionik Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

BTW. Are the Moonblades (or at least one of them) stated somewhere? And if not, what mechanics and what kind of powers could they follow/have? Something like Legacy Weapons?

You can find the 3e interpretation in Magic of Faerūn.

Page 170

Fools to right of them,
Jesters to left of them,
Clowns in front of them
Pun'd and parody'd.
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2010 :  03:54:10  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ionik Knight

quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

The fact that so few blade are left active, is really what would make it harder at this point- not that the gold elves aren't worthy by blood.

There were not a great many of them made to begin with, but any that were not out and out destroyed can still be claimed even if they were never claimed or their family died out. As per Magic of Faerun the only requirements (game mechanics wise) for a claimant to be excepted are: elf or half-elf, matching good (usually neutral-good) alignment, the ceremony must meet certain requirements (suggestions are in a royal throne room or place sacred to an elven deity),and DM's discretion.
It does also say that claimants who have cowardly or selfish acts must have atoned for those actions in some way.

This is precisely the point I was trying to make. Thanks, IK.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2010 :  04:04:00  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

quote:

Well 2nd Edition stated them as starting with +1 to +4 with at least one special ability. As the current, enabled wielder, passed on (with some debate as to if they went to Arvandor or their spirit entered the blade) adding power to the blade.
That is not two Moonblades will be the same, some gained a plus per transition, some gained another special ability.

The special abilities range from charm person, to fly, to sharpness, dancing, flying, and heal with about 20 more various spell effects.

Yes. And they're located in Elves of Evermeet if you need to find them. It's a wonderful, timeless sourcebook, really.

Telethian Phoenix
Pathfinder Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2010 :  17:33:21  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So I think strictly-canonically, going by precedent established in Elaine's books about Moonblades, only characters with moon elf heritage can wield moonblades. Pureblood sun elves, wood elves, drow, etc., are SOL.

That doesn't mean, however, that your PCs who lack moon elf descent can't use something similar.

There is plenty of room in the canon for a corrupted moonblade (one whose powers function a little or a lot differently and open themselves to various users of elf heritage) or a previously undiscovered version of the weapon called a "sunblade" that attunes itself with sun elves (not to be confused with the human sunblade, which might actually be a derivative of one particular form of elven sunblade).

Also, feyri (due to their demonic ancestry) might produce new and dark effects by trying to claim a moonblade (this might be what corrupts it in the first place).

Also, as noted above, your elves can be of mixed heritage (possibly without knowing it). Fey'ri are not necessarily *all* sun elf/demon--there might be a little moon elf that got tangled into the mix there, possibly a wayward/abducted heir of a mighty moon elf bloodline.

Lots of options--do what's cool for your game, and don't worry about explaining it too much unless it benefits the story!

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2010 :  04:57:43  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
New Canon trumps.
While I understand Elaine not being happy, her novels were trumped.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2010 :  06:40:17  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

New Canon trumps.

What exactly is the "new canon" position here? Could someone fill me in, please?

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

Ionik Knight
Learned Scribe

USA
222 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2010 :  07:05:02  Show Profile  Visit Ionik Knight's Homepage Send Ionik Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Joran Nobleheart

quote:

New Canon trumps.

What exactly is the "new canon" position here? Could someone fill me in, please?

Unfortunately I haven't read the pertinent novels yet, but the difference of opinion seems to be implied intent of the author vs printed game mechanics.
As far as I know, the most recent in-print game mechanics are in Magic of Faerun pg 170-171. It says an elf or half-elf (of the same family if the blade is active) of the same alignment as that particular Moonblade may attempt to claim it. Other than it pretty much leaves it to DM discretion.

Fools to right of them,
Jesters to left of them,
Clowns in front of them
Pun'd and parody'd.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2010 :  14:58:36  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

New Canon trumps.

I guess I'm not entirely clear on this dilemma. It has to do with Rich Baker's story in Realms of the Elves, which near as I can tell, features a sun elf heir to a noble house searching for the moonblade of his mother's cousin's house (Morvaeril), in the hopes of claiming it for himself, and it ends up in the hands of a half-elf (and is it clearly specified where her heritage comes from?).

What I'm not sure of is whether there's moon elf blood in these houses--are we certain Morvaeril is *definitely* a sun elf house?

Also, we should bear in mind that in a world where people can sling fireballs by making funny finger gestures at other people, exceptions are more a rule than an exception. The way mortals understand magic to work is not necessarily the way magic works: they may see much of the picture, or their understanding might just encompass the tip of the iceberg.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2010 :  16:34:51  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

quote:

quote:

New Canon trumps.

I guess I'm not entirely clear on this dilemma. It has to do with Rich Baker's story in Realms of the Elves, which near as I can tell, features a sun elf heir to a noble house searching for the moonblade of his mother's cousin's house (Morvaeril), in the hopes of claiming it for himself, and it ends up in the hands of a half-elf (and is it clearly specified where her heritage comes from?).

What I'm not sure of is whether there's moon elf blood in these houses--are we certain Morvaeril is *definitely* a sun elf house?

Also, we should bear in mind that in a world where people can sling fireballs by making funny finger gestures at other people, exceptions are more a rule than an exception. The way mortals understand magic to work is not necessarily the way magic works: they may see much of the picture, or their understanding might just encompass the tip of the iceberg.

Cheers

Ah, I see. I appreciate your telling me about this, and I actually read that particular story a long while back. I'll not say more on it than that. You're right about it being more of a rule than an exception, and I feel that's the perfect way to put it, really.

By the way, were moonblades specifically Mrs. Cunningham's idea, or was the idea given to her from TSR? Sort of a, "We have this idea for an elven item called a moonblade, and would like you to write about it for us in your next book," or was it her idea from start to finish?

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

Ionik Knight
Learned Scribe

USA
222 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2010 :  17:54:10  Show Profile  Visit Ionik Knight's Homepage Send Ionik Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I still haven't read the books pertinent to Moonblades, but I have finished scanning the scroll http://www.candlekeep.com/library/articles/lore_ec.htm for Moonblade content.
Getting back to the original topic of this thread I feel more justified than ever in saying that even a "good" and truly "noble" fey'ri could never wield a Moonblade.

Fools to right of them,
Jesters to left of them,
Clowns in front of them
Pun'd and parody'd.
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2010 :  19:56:03  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That would really be a shame. I'd like to see it happen, actually- assuming there's a good reason, of course. I had an item similar to a Moonblade in one of my campaigns, that was a family heirloom sword that had special powers for the elf of that family who used it, and was even more powerful when using the accompanying mask (it was an Oriental elven clan in a kingdom I created based on feudal Japanese culture, and the items together allowed one to summon the clan's spirit guardian.)

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2010 :  00:24:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So far as I know, Elaine created moonblades.

While I wouldn't hand a fey'ri a moonblade, I wouldn't have an issue with creating some other type of elf-specific blade and letting a fey'ri have it.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2010 :  00:59:31  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

While I wouldn't hand a fey'ri a moonblade, I wouldn't have an issue with creating some other type of elf-specific blade and letting a fey'ri have it.

The Elfblades of Cormanthyr (LEoF, pg 157-159) might work well in this regard.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2010 :  01:13:58  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Uh, Those are all very unique blades, and one has to meet several requirements to wield any of them. I seem to recall that at least two of them are reserved for the leaders of the army of Cormanthyr. And one is the "Ruler's Blade" of the Coronal! I doubt a fey'ri would ever be allowed that one. Some of the others, perhaps, but only after some VERY distinguished service....

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2010 :  01:39:38  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Wooly has the right of it. Moonblades were created in the novel Elfshadow.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2010 :  01:41:25  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

Wooly has the right of it. Moonblades were created in the novel Elfshadow.

Ok, thank you! I really enjoyed and enjoy reading over those novels. Must have read them a good ten or twelve times in the last few years. She tells an amazing story!

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

Ionik Knight
Learned Scribe

USA
222 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2010 :  02:11:28  Show Profile  Visit Ionik Knight's Homepage Send Ionik Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Uh, Those are all very unique blades, and one has to meet several requirements to wield any of them. I seem to recall that at least two of them are reserved for the leaders of the army of Cormanthyr. And one is the "Ruler's Blade" of the Coronal! I doubt a fey'ri would ever be allowed that one. Some of the others, perhaps, but only after some VERY distinguished service....

The Srinshee(sp?) has the Ruler's Blade in Avrandor. The others are all still lost I believe. The Elfblades are nearly as picky as Moonblades, if you're not the right race(they are not all wielded by elves) and the right alignment, and have the right class/skills/abilities, or they just plain don't like you....you are in for a world of hurt.

Fools to right of them,
Jesters to left of them,
Clowns in front of them
Pun'd and parody'd.
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2010 :  18:41:24  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, only one ofthem- the Ruler's Blade- actually kills if not wielded by the right kind of person. The Art Blade casues you to loose ability to use magic, and I forget what the Soldier's Blade does. The others were made for dwarf, halfling, and human owners, I believe. There were five (or was it six?) in all. The soldier's Blade was eventually found by Josidiah Starym after he went into the Underdark through the Twisted Tower to find the Art Blade. (I REALLY want to do the CC write-up on how he got it back and lost Guenhwyvar in the process!)

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2010 :  21:43:58  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Actually, only one ofthem- the Ruler's Blade- actually kills if not wielded by the right kind of person. The Art Blade casues you to loose ability to use magic, and I forget what the Soldier's Blade does. The others were made for dwarf, halfling, and human owners, I believe. There were five (or was it six?) in all. The soldier's Blade was eventually found by Josidiah Starym after he went into the Underdark through the Twisted Tower to find the Art Blade. (I REALLY want to do the CC write-up on how he got it back and lost Guenhwyvar in the process!)

Actually, you have that backwards. Josidiah Starym went to retrieve the Warblade, but he came back in 674 DR wielding the fabled Artblade.

Here's the history on Josidiah.

Telethian Phoenix

Edited by - Penknight on 08 Sep 2010 21:45:53
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2010 :  23:08:39  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oops! you're right, good sir! I got them mixed up for some reason. Call it a blonde elf moment!!

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2010 :  01:06:43  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Oops! you're right, good sir! I got them mixed up for some reason. Call it a blonde elf moment!!

- Oh, not a problem at all! I've done the same thing myself a few times.

Telethian Phoenix
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000