Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 For Queen and Country (Moonshaes Campaign)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

EltonJ
Learned Scribe

USA
101 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2010 :  15:29:51  Show Profile  Visit EltonJ's Homepage Send EltonJ a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I've started recruiting for a Rolemaster campaign in the Moonshaes during the Year of Wild Magic (the point when the 3.0 FRCS begins). To begin with, I extrapolated the history of the Moonshaes from the Stone Age to the Present using British Archaeology and History as a Guide.

in a nutshell.

* Stone Age human culture.

* Bronze Age Elven Culture (Llewyrr elves)

* Iron Age Human Culture (the ancestors of the Ffolk)

* Present Day (Ffolk and Northlanders).

Since Tethyrese settled the Moonshaes in ABT. 460 DR, I figured that almost 2,000 years of occupation of the Moonshaes would result in altering the old Ffolk language to a modern Ffolk language. I made Ffolk a separate language from Modern Tethyrese, breaking from Canon.

I've also typed up a conversion document for converting the Realms to Rolemaster.

I think that's enough background.
---------------------------------------------------

For Queen and Country is a campaign setup like a T.V. series. The idea is a campaign based on Arthurian Romance and the Novel Ivanhoe by Sir Walter Scott. Players will have the opportunity to play Knights (Ffolk), Housecarls (Northlanders), or commoners (most everyone who aren't Knights or Housecarls). The players quest and adventure for the glory of their High Queen and the Moonshaes around the Moonshaes in order to keep the Kingdom safe.

Background:
High Queen Alicia is coming into the Fall of her reign (some would say Winter), but she has borne Keane four children: Richard the General (1st born son, and Fighter), Elaine the Wise (1st born daughter and druid), Fiona the Tempestuous (2nd born daughter), Henry the Mage (2nd born son, Keane's hope for the future). Also, Alicia and Keane are fostering the princess Rowena at the request of her Northlander father -- the Late King Cedric of Nothssex of Norland. The princess Rowena is incredibly fair and beautiful.

High Queen Alicia is in her 50's, and lately she has become a bit Paranoid. She still rules with Wisdom, however she doesn't trust one of her advisers. The adviser in question is Lord Earl Norton, who is a secret Zhentarim agent.

Events in the campaign:

I've thought about the following events.

* The Fair Rowena is kidnapped by a malevolent rogue Knight and the PCs are sent to rescue her.

* A cliffhanger where High Queen Alicia and High King Keane are killed. Alicia is slain by poison and Keane by a duel with a Blackcloak. Later, Sememmon and Ashemmi arrive to help root out the Zhentarim operating in the Moonshae Isles. Richard Kendrick is crowned High King.

* An adventure which tests the PC's devotion to the rules of Chivalry.

* Another adventure that tests their loyalty. I figured that one of the Zhentarim agents will try to corrupt them and turn their loyalties.

* If the relationship between one of the PCs and Rowena progresses, there will be a marriage. Since the other princesses and prince are not married yet, Richard declares that the fruits of the union of the PC and the Lady Rowena would be heirs to the Crown. Its no secret that Richard doesn't like women, however he did marry one of Lord Nasher Alagondar's daughters out of convenience.

So, what do you think? Want to suggest some adventures? Oh yes, some rules first:
* The LFR adventures will undoubtedly be mentioned.
* You can only mention them once in the whole thread. I know about them and they are set in a different Era.

Cleric Generic
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
565 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2010 :  15:47:04  Show Profile  Visit Cleric Generic's Homepage Send Cleric Generic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That sounds pretty awesome. Plenty of opportunity for some classic intrigue, RP and head kicking.

The only suggestion I can make at the moment is that you post game-session summaries for us to peruse!

Cedric! The Cleric Generic and Master of Disguise!

ALL HAIL LORD KARSUS!!!

Vast Realmslore Archive: Get in here and download everything! http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/archfr/rl

2e Realms book PDFs; grab em! - http://poleandrope.blogspot.com/2010/07/working-around-purge.html
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2010 :  17:53:48  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Since you are using Rolemaster, it made me think of MERPs, which is very compatible, and then had a leap of inspiration (inspired by another thread) - you could paste The Five Shires module onto the Moonshaes without diverging from the overall flavor of the region.

It could go into an already sparse area, or even on another isle (there are plenty, and you could even create a new one). Flamsterd to the SW of Gwynneth looks like a good spot.

Tall Tales of the Wee Folk is another excellent Mystara supplement you may want to adapt.

As for the rest, you may want to look over the Talfir thread - the Ffolk culture seems the 'purest' of the original early Talfirian (Cortae) peoples. You may want to include some 'pagan' rites for cults of Celt or Fey powers, still practiced in rural areas. 'The Horned God' and wicker-man type scenarios could be fun.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 04 Sep 2010 17:56:13
Go to Top of Page

EltonJ
Learned Scribe

USA
101 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2010 :  18:17:23  Show Profile  Visit EltonJ's Homepage Send EltonJ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you wish to use this setup for your own campaigns, here are some write-ups.

RICHARD KENDRICK

[picture: http://www.cedmagic.com/featured/robin-hood/15-ian-hunter.jpg ]
Richard Kendrick is a military genius. Although Keane had hoped that he could train the boy in magic so that the Kingdom would pass to a female heir, Richard had no aptitude for magic. Richard, instead, was trained by the generals of Moonshae. Richard is trained in both Northlandic and Ffolk strategies and tactics. Richard grew up having no preference for girls. However, he married the lady Olivia Alagondar of Neverwinter, one of Nasher's daughters. However, it's a marriage of convenience and they never had children.

Motivations: Richard wants to forcibly take Snowdown from the Amnites and launch a full scale invasion to show Amn how serious he is as a Prince of the Moonshaes and the Moonshaes are not a kingdom to be taken lightly.

Roleplaying: Richard should be brave and wise at the same time. He has inherited his Grandfather's bravery and his Grandmother's wisdom. however, he is a savvy tactician and can think under pressure. A good leader, Richard leads his army from the front rather from behind.

PRINCESS ROWENA KENDRICK

[movie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgVtAkGcfHw]
Fostered in the High Queen's court and then later adopted, she's the youngest and the fairest of the Royal Family even though she is of Northlandic blood. Rowena Kendrick was the daughter of Cedric of Nothsex of Norland. Cedric died but wished that the Queen adopt his daughter as her own. Like her older sister Elaine, the Princess Rowena has many suitors for her hand.

Motivations: The lady Rowena has taken pains to be as lady like as possible, learning to be graceful and to dress in a most pleasing manner. Rowena hopes to marry someone brave and true, with integrity. She doesn't trust many of her Ffolk and Northlandic suitors, whom she regards as unfit. Her ambition is to be a fine wife to a fine man.

NPC Creation Notes: Although she would be an NPC, I grabbed my copy of King Arthur Pendragon (4th Edition) to be of some help. Women are trained differently than men, and Rowena isn't created to take an adventuring class (in D&D 4th Edition, Bard would probably be the most appropriate). She has a high skill in Chirurgery (or surgery) and First Aid. She has a high skill in flirting and a high skill in stewardship.

Roleplaying: As Lover: Rowena should be played as Romantic. She uses Romance to effectively control her suitors until she can find the right one. Rowena flirts with her suitors but remains chaste. Rowena finds her outlet for power by manipulating and controlling men. Her suitors often do not mind this.

As Heiress: Rowena is the heiress to lands in Northern Norland. By her father's word, she cannot inherit her lands until she is married. But she must obtain the Queen's permission before she can marry.

As Wife: Wives are a natural part of life, and Rowena's ambition is to be a good wife to a good man. If played by a player, Rowena can provide some interesting roleplaying opportunities for the husband PC.
Go to Top of Page

IngoDjan
Learned Scribe

Brazil
146 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2010 :  19:04:55  Show Profile  Visit IngoDjan's Homepage Send IngoDjan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Awesome! I can see a a great opportunity for fun. Though, me and my players don't like when their are fighting for another glory. Altruistic, yes! Some other person, no!

I like the Ffolk and one of my players like to make characters from there.

Ingo Djan
DUNGEON MASTER AO OF THE DIAMONDS!
"I see the future repeat the past. It all is a museum of great news. The Time do not stop."
Go to Top of Page

EltonJ
Learned Scribe

USA
101 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2010 :  20:07:22  Show Profile  Visit EltonJ's Homepage Send EltonJ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by IngoDjan

Awesome! I can see a a great opportunity for fun. Though, me and my players don't like when their are fighting for another glory. Altruistic, yes! Some other person, no!

I like the Ffolk and one of my players like to make characters from there.

Well, the whole campaign is built around Chivalry and being loyal to your Sovereign. That's not to say you can't quest for personal glory, though. Personal glory is a part of Knighthood.

Go to Top of Page

EltonJ
Learned Scribe

USA
101 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2010 :  20:18:53  Show Profile  Visit EltonJ's Homepage Send EltonJ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Since you are using Rolemaster, it made me think of MERPs, which is very compatible, and then had a leap of inspiration (inspired by another thread) - you could paste The Five Shires module onto the Moonshaes without diverging from the overall flavor of the region.

It could go into an already sparse area, or even on another isle (there are plenty, and you could even create a new one). Flamsterd to the SW of Gwynneth looks like a good spot.

Tall Tales of the Wee Folk is another excellent Mystara supplement you may want to adapt.

As for the rest, you may want to look over the Talfir thread - the Ffolk culture seems the 'purest' of the original early Talfirian (Cortae) peoples. You may want to include some 'pagan' rites for cults of Celt or Fey powers, still practiced in rural areas. 'The Horned God' and wicker-man type scenarios could be fun.

Well, I'm not sure how many people would like to play using RMFRP. :) The kinds of games I'd like to run, as you see up there, are in my mind incompatible with 4e as-written (it's possible, but highly unlikely ). That's why I'm not recruiting on Wizards of the Coast's forums and I am recruiting on the [url=http://www.ironcrown.com/ICEforums/index.php?topic=10217.0]ICE forums.[/url]

Plus, I think the Running the Realms topic on the WotC forums is largely ignored. I was right posting on these boards. If any of you aren't afraid of trying out a new (old) system that is a bit more realistic than rest, do not be afraid to email me. :)

Okay, about your suggestions:

* I looked up the Five Shires on Amazon.com and I think I will have to download this. I can see another island that can incorporate the Five Shires. five miles to the west of Flamsterd. According to Douglas Niles, Flamsterd is a Magiocracy. There's no mention of what went on in the Moonshaes after the first FRA-2 Moonshae.

* Tall Tales of the Wee Folk looks like another download (Can anyone guess why I don't like Wizards of the Coast? I'll give you a hint -- the reason starts with a ©.) So it's all impossible to get ahold of them (even though I have come into some money).

* The talfir thread wasn't at all interesting to me since the Realms Wiki did state that the Ffolk were descendants of the original Tethyr settlers. I would place the Talfir as the Stone Age culture in my Moonshaes, and that's about it.
Go to Top of Page

mensch
Seeker

80 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2010 :  20:42:29  Show Profile Send mensch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was wondering how you are going to run your campaign similar to a TV series? Is it an episodic campaign with a larger plot thread running through the individual episodes?

Who are the PCs by the way, if there are any at this point, by which I mean: what classes (or whatever Rolemaster calls them, "Professions" I believe) do they have? Always nice to see how the PCs are going to blend in with your work.

Like the ideas though, as Cleric Generic said: plenty of opportunities for intrigue and roleplaying.

Some say the world will end in fire, Some say in ice. From what I’ve tasted of desire I hold with those who favor fire. But if it had to perish twice, I think I know enough of hate to know that for destruction ice is also great and would suffice. – Robert Frost (1874 - 1963)
Go to Top of Page

EltonJ
Learned Scribe

USA
101 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2010 :  20:54:27  Show Profile  Visit EltonJ's Homepage Send EltonJ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mensch

I was wondering how you are going to run your campaign similar to a TV series? Is it an episodic campaign with a larger plot thread running through the individual episodes?

Who are the PCs by the way, if there are any at this point, by which I mean: what classes (or whatever Rolemaster calls them, "Professions" I believe) do they have? Always nice to see how the PCs are going to blend in with your work.

Like the ideas though, as Cleric Generic said: plenty of opportunities for intrigue and roleplaying.

To answer your question: It's pretty much an open-ended episodic campaign with some story arcs. Your answer to the second question is: no one has signed up yet. I would be surprised if there is no paladins in the campaign. I'm running the campaign on OpenRPG.

Yes, there are plenty of opportunities for intrigue and roleplaying. Which is part of the reason why I'm using RMFRP instead of D&D 4e. Like I said, D&D 4e didn't click with me. When I roleplay, I usually take my inspiration from Epic movie story telling. I don't usually do 4e unless I've been watching a lot of shounen Anime (i.e. Naruto).

Edited by - EltonJ on 04 Sep 2010 20:55:46
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2010 :  21:29:57  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I created the non-canon Cortae (although based loosely on the eastern Issa-Cortae) as a neolithic people that dominated much of central Faerun, pre-Elven incursion, much like the Celts of Europe. The Talfir would be the equivalent of the Gaulic Celts - the mainland portion of that widespread culture. The Ffolk would the equivalent of the Gaelic (and Welsh) Celts, and therefor are not really Talfiric, but rather related to them through an 'over-group'. The Tethyrans are direct descendants of the early Talfir; the ffolk not so.

After 25,000 years you can bet your arse the languages would be completely different.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

EltonJ
Learned Scribe

USA
101 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2010 :  21:55:47  Show Profile  Visit EltonJ's Homepage Send EltonJ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

After 25,000 years you can bet your arse the languages would be completely different.

Oh YEAH!
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2010 :  22:29:51  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looks good.

Links are like this [ url = " linky "] name [ / url ]. Just remove the spaces.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 04 Sep 2010 22:30:45
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2010 :  23:56:47  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
An alternate history of the post roman British Isles is here

http://www.alternatehistory.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=37024

Later pages in the thread go into the middle ages as well

Cheers

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

EltonJ
Learned Scribe

USA
101 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2010 :  14:18:38  Show Profile  Visit EltonJ's Homepage Send EltonJ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

Looks good.

Links are like this [ url = " linky "] name [ / url ]. Just remove the spaces.

Oh, thank you! :)

Okay, I'm thinking of putting up a "scroll" on these forums for a formal recruitment. I've been recruiting on the ICE forums for a while now and I think it's time to put one up here. Best forum seems to be general chat. What do you guys think? No, I'm not planning on recruiting on the Wizards' forums. :)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000