Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 LNA 1: Lankhmar: Thieves of Lankhmar
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2010 :  22:40:26  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
On the inside cover of this...I found the Forgotten Realms Logo???

Anyone?

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!

Thauramarth
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
729 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2010 :  09:06:05  Show Profile Send Thauramarth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've had this thing for years and years, and it's the first time I ever noticed it. . I'd write it off as a fluke, as there's never been an attempt to link Lankhmar to the greater TSR universe, even in the days of Spelljammer and Planescape (probably something to do with the fact that TSR's license was temporary).
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2010 :  16:01:11  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I didn't realize the license was temporary... That would explain why we had a few Lankhmar products and then nothing else...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Thauramarth
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
729 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2010 :  23:28:17  Show Profile Send Thauramarth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I didn't realize the license was temporary... That would explain why we had a few Lankhmar products and then nothing else...

I am not exactly sure where I read it, but I'm quite sure that at one point, the license expired, and reverted to the original rights holders. I deduced from that that the licence had always been temporary; maybe it was just revoked by the original rights holders.
Go to Top of Page

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2010 :  02:00:46  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ha! I bought this out of the 'used/bargain' bin at my FLGS (Phantom of the Attic, for anyone in Pittsburgh) just last week- Good catch, Dalor!

How can life be so bountiful, providing such sublime rewards for mediocrity? -Umberto Ecco
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2010 :  02:21:16  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was kinda weirded out at first...but then my head started rolling around the possibility of placing Lankhmar in the FR...

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2010 :  05:01:26  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wish they'd put the fiction back in print... It took me a few years to track down all the novels the first time (before I discovered the internet). I've not gotten 'round to replacing them yet, but I'm not anticipating that it will be easy.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2010 :  05:06:28  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thauramarth

I've had this thing for years and years, and it's the first time I ever noticed it. . I'd write it off as a fluke, as there's never been an attempt to link Lankhmar to the greater TSR universe, even in the days of Spelljammer and Planescape (probably something to do with the fact that TSR's license was temporary).

Actually, I think there was an editorial about this in one of the mid-200's of DRAGON -- somewhere among the 240 to 250 issues.

I'll have to flick through my printed copies.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2010 :  05:36:55  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

Actually, I think there was an editorial about this in one of the mid-200's of DRAGON -- somewhere among the 240 to 250 issues.

Before...or after you do those 1,734,982 other things on the list that you can see in front of you?

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2010 :  11:08:02  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

Before...or after you do those 1,734,982 other things on the list that you can see in front of you?

And that's just Volume III of the list!

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2010 :  11:34:40  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, I just started "Volume IV" last night.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2010 :  02:07:27  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, that's even weirder then the faux pas on the back of the Bloodstone product, where they describe it as 'the place where Ten Towns is located', or the back of the Jungles of Chult product, where they describe a new magic system based on gems... that appears nowhere in the product.

I found a copyright notice for the Dragonlance setting on the back cover of Horselords the other day. Thought it was an error, but then realized that the novel was billed (in tiny print) as "from the Publishers of the Dragonlance Saga".

There is a Newhon Ghoul in the Realms, therefor there is indeed a canon connection between the two settings.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2010 :  04:55:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

There is a Newhon Ghoul in the Realms, therefor there is indeed a canon connection between the two settings.

She's in Code of the Harpers, for those not familiar with this factoid.

Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2010 :  18:08:04  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Did an old bibliography of Ed's (on his agent's website?) mention an otherwise uncredited contribution to one or more of the LN books?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000