Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Hero Battle: Elminster
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2010 :  05:21:53  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hero Battle: Elminster

quote:
An Encounter for Paragon or Epic Tier Characters

Elminster has absorbed the Spellplague energies the Simbul once kept in check. Now he is crazy. In his insanity, he has learned he can tap the land for sustenance and power. His tapping into the geomagical power has begun to infect the nearby land with what he carries in his body, creating warping effects like those of the Spellplague. The infection is spreading, and someone must stop it ... but that means confronting Elminster himself.

WHAT. THE. HE##?

No, really. What is going on here? An encounter so your character can beat up Elminster?

They kill Mystra, warping El so he's barely able to cast a cantrip and now it's HEROIC to beat on him?

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2010 :  05:25:28  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe they're adopting the "Hitting a man when he's down" philosophy of combat.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2010 :  05:27:46  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh Lords of Creation...what have you done...

Well, I have to say that I'm completely confused...

Heroic eh? I mean, I remember when one of the Chosen had been corrupted by a certain crown and was a bad girl for a while...but this?

Chris Sims...I'm sorry it was your name on this.

I've pretty much walked away from pursuing 4e...not out of hatred for rules or anything...just because...

Now, however, I realize they are taking away all the things that make the Forgotten Realms the Forgotten Realms...brick by brick.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

woodwwad
Learned Scribe

USA
267 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2010 :  06:18:43  Show Profile  Visit woodwwad's Homepage Send woodwwad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
lol

Check out my reviews on youtube of Forgotten Realms and other rpg products. http://www.youtube.com/user/woodwwad?feature=mhum
Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
730 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2010 :  06:24:21  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think the lunatics are running the asylum over there. :retching smiley:

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2010 :  06:25:53  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's- just.... sad. One word- WHY??!!

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Thauramarth
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
729 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2010 :  07:26:38  Show Profile Send Thauramarth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Maybe they're adopting the "Hitting a man when he's down" philosophy of combat.

Well... you have to admit - it makes sense from a tactical point of view .
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2010 :  07:59:19  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is there a lifetime subscription
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2010 :  09:40:38  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They did the same type of Article for Drizzty.
Go to Top of Page

Balduran Lavidah
Seeker

France
83 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2010 :  11:32:46  Show Profile  Visit Balduran Lavidah's Homepage Send Balduran Lavidah a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Je désapprouve cette réaction en chaîne !

I disagree with this chain reaction ! !

"Le savoir s'apprend. La curiosité forme le savoir."
Go to Top of Page

Thauramarth
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
729 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2010 :  11:48:47  Show Profile Send Thauramarth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

Oh, right then. So, basically, it's a thought experiment.

In that case, let's not make a deal out of this? After all, players and DMs who don't care for fighting-Elminster-just-because-he's-there probably won't care for this little article either, and players and DMs who like to duke it out with El have probably been doing so ever since he got statted up, back in the days of yore...
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2010 :  11:54:05  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They can't even see the shark any more, it's so far behind them...

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Calmar
Acolyte

49 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2010 :  12:10:57  Show Profile Send Calmar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He. Hehe. That's too damn stupid. Everything is there for killing.
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2010 :  13:07:33  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This fits my theory that someone( or someones) at wotc has a agenda to reboot or overwrite most everything done before them.( especially things Ed) once is a coincidence, but as many of his "creations" that have been targeted , it's got to be something more.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2010 :  13:20:58  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Did anyone read the scenario?

That is all it is by the way, a scenario/'thought experiment'.
Just like the non-canon Drizzty scenario there is nothing to it. No grand conspiracy here...please move along...

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2010 :  13:24:33  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thauramarth

quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

Oh, right then. So, basically, it's a thought experiment.

In that case, let's not make a deal out of this? After all, players and DMs who don't care for fighting-Elminster-just-because-he's-there probably won't care for this little article either, and players and DMs who like to duke it out with El have probably been doing so ever since he got statted up, back in the days of yore...

I totally agree with you. I personally don't care for the article and it will never be used by me.

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2010 :  13:47:13  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree that it's a thought experiment and not a canon article. But it still grates me as much as stuff like Batman killing someone (Batman Forever - Bomb in henchman's pants or Batman Begins with blowing up Ra's al Ghul's temple) or the 13 Ghosts of Scooby Doo. It just points to someone in a position of power going "wouldn't it be cool if..." without knowing the basics of a character or story they are mucking with.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Brace Cormaeril
Learned Scribe

294 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2010 :  13:57:48  Show Profile  Visit Brace Cormaeril's Homepage Send Brace Cormaeril a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I commented on this topic on the "Saith Ed" scroll, didn't see it here.
It's a great scenario. Elminster, lost in the throes of madness, has become a threat to himself and Shadowdale. PC's must save him from himself.
The article does not infer that Elminster is a bag of XP and loot to be cracked open.

To Sims: Kudos!

The Silver Fire's Blade: A Novella in Nine Parts, Available Soon, in the Adventuring Forum!
Go to Top of Page

Brace Cormaeril
Learned Scribe

294 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2010 :  14:10:10  Show Profile  Visit Brace Cormaeril's Homepage Send Brace Cormaeril a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Crumbs! I didn't get to delete my (cross-chatter) post re: this topic on the "Q's for Ed" thread before it got sniped... Yikes!

Anyway, Ashe-man, I thought that one metric of canonicity was publication on Hasbro/WotC web sites.

Is this incorrect?

I see that some in the community have applied the term "thought experiment" to these types of scenarios, but I am unfamiliar with its use by Hasbro/WotC.

Does anyone have a source for "thought experiments" as an alternative to "Adventure Hook", "Clack", etc.?

The Silver Fire's Blade: A Novella in Nine Parts, Available Soon, in the Adventuring Forum!
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2010 :  14:47:07  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In my opinion, it is a thought experiment/adventure hook, but I've never considered them to be 'true' canon. In other words, they could have happened, and they might have happened, but it's more of a rumor of a story to those in the Realms. It comes down to the fact that I feel that this article was written for those players that want to be able to say "I beat XXXX! See how cool my character is?"

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2010 :  15:07:43  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brace Cormaeril

Crumbs! I didn't get to delete my (cross-chatter) post re: this topic on the "Q's for Ed" thread before it got sniped... Yikes!

Anyway, Ashe-man, I thought that one metric of canonicity was publication on Hasbro/WotC web sites.

Is this incorrect?

I see that some in the community have applied the term "thought experiment" to these types of scenarios, but I am unfamiliar with its use by Hasbro/WotC.

Does anyone have a source for "thought experiments" as an alternative to "Adventure Hook", "Clack", etc.?

I quote from the Chris Sim scenario:

“This scenario assumes much about the nature of
the Simbul’s sickness, and it presupposes that Elminster
finally fails in his attempts to help her.”

To me this says it is a ‘thought experiment’

“If we assume A happens then B occurs.”

So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO

Edited by - Bakra on 05 Aug 2010 15:09:55
Go to Top of Page

Brace Cormaeril
Learned Scribe

294 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2010 :  15:53:36  Show Profile  Visit Brace Cormaeril's Homepage Send Brace Cormaeril a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll add that this scenario has been debated at my game table in the past. The growing madness of the Chosen is a serious issue, and one that good-aligned characters in my games have added to their own "what-if?" type preparations. I'd be suprised if others had not considered the implications of one of the great stalwarts of the Realms losing it.
I know Batman would...

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2010 :  16:53:35  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Batman would, but unfortunately for the Realms he (Khelben) is already dead

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2010 :  16:56:25  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

Great minds think alike...

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2010 :  17:07:34  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes...one target at a time...slowly vanishing...like a creeping doom both unseen and unheard...

...too late.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2010 :  17:22:36  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Oh, so you haven't heard the latest? Apparently, Khelben didn't die at the end of Blackstaff. He was actually struck by an ancient Netherese spell [supposedly derived by an Arcanist named Darkseid] called the Omega Beam. As such, Khelben was actually deposited in the distant Realms past. He'll have to overcome amnesia and "history itself" in order to make his way back to present-day Waterdeep and retake his rightful place as the Blackstaff.

[And in case my fellow scribes haven't realised, this is a joke -- playing on the recent DC story-lines Batman RIP, Final Crisis, and Batman: The Return of Bruce Wayne.]

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2010 :  17:27:12  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

Oh, so you haven't heard the latest? Apparently, Khelben didn't die at the end of Blackstaff. He was actually struck by an ancient Netherese spell [supposedly derived by an Arcanist named Darkseid] called the Omega Beam. As such, Khelben was actually deposited in the distant Realms past. He'll have to overcome amnesia and "history itself" in order to make his way back to present-day Waterdeep and retake his rightful place as the Blackstaff.

[And in case my fellow scribes haven't realised, this is a joke -- playing on the recent DC story-lines Batman RIP, Final Crisis, and Batman: The Return of Bruce Wayne.]

I'd smite you if you didn't already have the curse of the 'to-do' list.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Balduran Lavidah
Seeker

France
83 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2010 :  17:36:55  Show Profile  Visit Balduran Lavidah's Homepage Send Balduran Lavidah a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What is this curse ? (I 've not said that I was curious?)

"Le savoir s'apprend. La curiosité forme le savoir."
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2010 :  18:20:00  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Balduran Lavidah

Sage is known to have a list of objective goals and jobs that has been in queue for months (or years, maybe decades even).

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2010 :  23:26:18  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

quote:
Originally posted by Balduran Lavidah

Sage is known to have a list of objective goals and jobs that has been in queue for months (or years, maybe decades even).

And now that I think about it.........

It's gotten much, much worse since the spellplague , I'm thinking about putting together a team of scribes....going down under and trying to save him from himself.
I think my first recruit shall be Lady K.

Any volunteers? we're going to need a rogue to find a path through the stacks of " to do's"....maybe a cleric with the wisdom to make Sage see the danger he is courting.......a spellcaster or three to make some of the stuff disappear....and maybe a pair or two of fighters to do the grunt work......that just leaves Zlady K free to look beautiful as always, keeping Sage focused and calm

Edited by - The Red Walker on 05 Aug 2010 23:27:02
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2010 :  23:32:36  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Y'know, I was going to make a witty comment about how you could arrange it so we'd all be down under for GenCon OZ, but then I saw this.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000