Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 Pathfinder Advanced Player's Guide
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2010 :  20:31:26  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Advanced Player's Guide

Okay, I literally *just* got the PDF from my subscription order. I'm got to page 12 of the book and I already decided that this one book has now replaced most of by 3.5 collection. And the book is pure crunch, no fluff. But that's a good thing.

Races
Each race gets a two-page spread detailing three things:

1) How they view each of the classes and how the class might best fit a character of that race. (Includes the six new classes introduced in the APG).
2) Alternate Racial Traits - these are a list of traits that can be swapped out for the normal racial traits (Dwarven Stonecunning, Halfling luck, etc.) In Realms terms, it's just become that much easier to play one of the demi-human subraces. Or create new ones.
3) Favored Class Options - Normally in Pathfinder, if you gain a level in a favored class, you gain an extra HP or skill point. Now, you can also choose other options, like the half-orc barbarian gaining and extra round of rage/day or the elven ranger getting a +1 per 2 levels circumstance bonus to confirm criticals with a chosen weapon.

Classes (Not going to go into great detail here, just for sake of time.)
Alchemist - Brew potions, make bombs, create personal mutagens. Works a lot like Artificer (imbuing potions with their magic, etc.)
Cavalier - This is the Marshall/Knight of Pathfinder. Each cavalier must be a member of an Order and gains benefits from that choice.
Inquisitor - Exorcist/Witch Hunter/Bounty Hunter type.
Oracle - Shaman/Favored Soul type.
Summoner - "I choose you, Pika-daemon!" Seriously, though, if you ever REALLY wanted Guenhwyvar without toting around that little figurine, this is the way to go.
Witch - Familiar? check. Cauldron? check. Hex? check. The fun part is she has to memorize her spells every morning. But with no spellbooks or divine prayers, where does she keep the spells? Her familiar teaches them to her.

Core Classes - This details alternate/new abilities for the core classes, plus some archetypes for them as well (for example: Barbarian's Drunken Brute, Bard's Detective, Cleric subdomains, Blight Druid, Fighter's Archer, DRUNKEN MASTER, Antipaladin, Urban Ranger, Rogue's Swashbuckler, Shadow Sorcerer, and new Wizard schools). They've managed to fit *all* the WotC splat books' Prestige Classes into 75 pages.

Chapters 3, 4, 5, 7: Feats, Equipment, Spells, Magic Items
I think you know what you'll find here.

Prestige Classes
Battle Herald - Leaders of armies.
Holy Vindicator - Ultra Paladin
Horizon Walker - Man vs. Wild
Master Chymist - Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde. I'm serious.
Master Spy - Bard. Lem the Bard.
Nature Warden - Ultimate Ranger/Druid
Rage Prophet - The orc barbarian with the greataxe in the book describes this much better than I ever could.
Stalwart Defender - Replace Stalwart with Dwarven and remove the dwarf requirement.

New Rules
The last section of the book goes into greater detail and gives new options for Combat Maneuvers (Dirty Trick, Drag, Reposition or Steal), Hero Points and Character Traits.

Overall, the book is hefty. 333 pages of crunchy goodness. But at $39.99, it more than covers the cost of purchase. As I said at the beginning, I'm not going to need any of the Complete books and a good chunk of the Racial books are covered as well (I'll still reference them for Goliath & such, but that's about it).

Final review: Seven out of Seven Sisters.

Edit: Fixed link.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs

Edited by - Ashe Ravenheart on 29 Jul 2010 20:56:22

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2010 :  20:44:31  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But does it have rules for after level 20?

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2010 :  20:55:09  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alas, they do not. But the way Pathfinder is set, you can easily just continue leveling up after level 20 and just bring in the Epic Feats and such. Also, I can count on one finger the number of times I've played in an epic-level game in the last decade.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2010 :  21:33:26  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As cool as the rest of it all is, that is what I was really hoping for, a fixed epic level section. That was one of my biggest beefs with 3.5, that they updated pretty much everything from 3.0 except for epic levels.

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2010 :  22:02:44  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HawkinstheDM

As cool as the rest of it all is, that is what I was really hoping for, a fixed epic level section. That was one of my biggest beefs with 3.5, that they updated pretty much everything from 3.0 except for epic levels.

I just have to say that it doesn't matter that much to me. Before 3E/3.5, there wasn't any "Epic Level" (unless you count the Immortal D&D). So we're back to heroes that retire once they get to a certain stage in life.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2010 :  22:30:21  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I finally got my copy, and I have to say that I was surprised how good this book is. I have traditionally been *very* suspicious of splatbooks, and rarely worth the price, because usually we have picked only a handful of feats, spells, items and prestige classes from each book. Some of the stuff we've even outright banned. Not this time -- this book is pure GOLD!

There *are* some "glitches" in the book; for instance, some of the favored class benefits and feat names are weird or even bad ('Lucky Halfling'? 'Ray Shield'?) and the amount of errors is quite high. Apparently quite a few things got copy-pasted a bit too hastily and even at a quick glance one can already spot, for example, several favored class benefits that are in need of an official clarification or errata. I also would have wanted to see more "generic" prestige classes in this book; I don't think a lot of players (or GMs) will create a lot of Battle Heralds (you need to be a Cavalier/Bard) or Rage Prophets (you need to be a Barbarian/Oracle) -- especially in a game that encourages singleclassing.

However, this is an essential product that will add a LOT of options to your game, and if you're playing or running PF RPG I heartily recommend the buying this book!

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4430 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2010 :  17:00:17  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am really interested in the Cavalier class. Looks like a great hybrid of the 3.5 Knight and Marshal as Ashe said. And the flavor of the Orders could easily be filled by Forgotten Realm elements (Knight of the Red Falcon) for example. Hmm...I'll have to get my friend to buy it.
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2010 :  17:16:00  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heck, it fills in for Purple Dragons, Highknights, Elven Houses, etc., etc.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4430 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2010 :  19:16:25  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

Heck, it fills in for Purple Dragons, Highknights, Elven Houses, etc., etc.

Yea, some really awesome ideas there. Maybe we should make a thread that could Realm-ify the Orders or do a sort of article that we saw for the 3.5, classes chronicles that Eytan did.
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2010 :  20:15:45  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like how you think Diffan...

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2010 :  21:40:36  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is going on my Christmas list, and making it that much harder for me to figure-out what rules I want to use for my next campaign (which I'm hoping t start within the next couple months).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2010 :  02:35:46  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Finally got my copy, and while I love it, I do not agree that it invalidates the Complete/Races series. While some of the classes/races from those books can be near-replicated with the material in the APG, there are still many that I enjoy playing that cannot be replicated.

* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
Go to Top of Page

idilippy
Senior Scribe

USA
417 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2010 :  03:10:34  Show Profile Send idilippy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I bought it a few weeks ago and think it's great, now instead of worrying about converting a dozen feats or classes over for players in a Pathfinder game I can find the closest thing to it in this book and point that out to players instead. I also like the alternate racial traits and the Cavalier and Witch class a lot, the other classes I can take or leave. I really like the combat maneuvers, especially the wonderfully vague dirty trick and steal. All in all I would recommend this book to anyone playing or running a pathfinder game.
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4430 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2010 :  16:30:00  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Any idea of they're going to convert the Warlock, Swashbuckler, and other classes from 3.5 stuff or if they already have a book for that?

Just wondering as I've only seen the stuff on the d20PFSRD and a few homebrew stuff (like for the Warmage which is a really, really good conversion).

I ask cuz I think the next campaign I run (besides the 4E/Us in the Realms one) is going to be the Council of Thieves adventure path for Pathfinder.
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2010 :  16:53:42  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Officially, they can't 'convert' any of the classes from the splat books because they are trademarked, while the base classes were available through the OGL. Note that it's not the name that is trademarked, but the overall "build" of the character class (powers, etc.).

If you look at the Oracle and Knight classes, you can see similarities with Favored Soul and Marshall (respectively). There are some 3PP products out there with "unofficial" conversions, most notably Adamant Entertainment's Tome of Secrets, which does have a warlock and swashbuckler build in it.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4430 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2010 :  17:59:22  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From the reviews I've seen on the Tome of Secrets, it might be worth getting for the PDF/$9.99 price instead of the $34.95. But still, im interested how they re-did the swashbuckler, shaman, warlock, and warlord.
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2010 :  18:24:15  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I have the book and wasn't too impressed with it (sad, but true). I mostly picked it up because they had a build for the Artificer in it. If you really want to see what they did with stuff, definitely pick up the PDF first to make sure you like where they're going with it.

To me, most of the builds in there felt rushed. Remember, this was released at the same time the Core Rulebook came out, so they were updating feats/skills and trying to put together a "more balanced" class build to reflect the ideal behind Pathfinder's base classes. I felt they fell short on more than one class and haven't even touched the book since my initial read through.

That being said, it's all my own opinion of the book. I also feel I can "do it better" for the artificer and such, but what I think the classes should be like and what others do may be light-years apart. I can't say don't buy it, because I know some people liked it. It got an overall 3 out of 5 stars from consumer reviews on the Paizo site.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4430 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2010 :  19:06:36  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well, I have the book and wasn't too impressed with it (sad, but true). I mostly picked it up because they had a build for the Artificer in it. If you really want to see what they did with stuff, definitely pick up the PDF first to make sure you like where they're going with it.

Probably what I'm going to do. I like PF's stuff, and buying PDF's are a really good choice when hardbacks aren't available.

quote:
[i]Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart[/i

To me, most of the builds in there felt rushed. Remember, this was released at the same time the Core Rulebook came out, so they were updating feats/skills and trying to put together a "more balanced" class build to reflect the ideal behind Pathfinder's base classes. I felt they fell short on more than one class and haven't even touched the book since my initial read through.

That being said, it's all my own opinion of the book. I also feel I can "do it better" for the artificer and such, but what I think the classes should be like and what others do may be light-years apart. I can't say don't buy it, because I know some people liked it. It got an overall 3 out of 5 stars from consumer reviews on the Paizo site.

Hmmmm, pretty much what I figured. How's the Artificer in Tome of Secrets compared to the Eberron version?
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2010 :  20:09:59  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll have to check the book when I get home.

Of course, that should tell you something in that I picked up the book for that class and can't remember how it stacked up to the original...

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4430 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2010 :  03:47:09  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'll have to check the book when I get home.

Of course, that should tell you something in that I picked up the book for that class and can't remember how it stacked up to the original...

Your not helping my confidence here Ashe!! I think the main problems I had with the Artificer (Eberron version) was that the infusions spellcasting time was waaay stupid (like minutes) but had longer effects? I'm AFB right now so I can't check. Anyways, still useful to see how they re-vamped the Warlock who, honestly, needed some love to be a better class.
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2010 :  04:55:05  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ahhh, yes.

Artificer in ToS has Weird Science instead of Infusions, but they operate in much the same way. The BAB and Saves are different and they have other abilities (instead of a craft pool, they have Elbow Grease).

The Warlock has School Abilities based on the wizard schools and is more about Arcane Armor mastery and damage reduction. The Swashbuckler is a Dexterous fighter instead of a smart fighter and the Spellblade is ... a spellblade.

Like I said, they didn't impress me much with the book (okay, I really liked the artwork), but your mileage may vary.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2010 :  22:14:22  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Haven't seen it, although I hope to...

But my biggest complaint (based on what folks have posted) is that they decided to go with the gawd-awful WotC Warlock for their own?

Does anyone even KNOW what a friggin' Warlock is anymore?

Not that I mind the Warlock class (in either system), but I would definately go with a completely different name in my HB.

I'd call him an 'Eldritch Knight' or some-such. A warlock, IMHO, is the Mage who has specialized in summoning magic and holds sway over a coven. I really hate when a company applies a mythological/folklore term to a completely different creature/person.

And since I'm on this subject, rename the damn metalic-bull Gorgon and call Medusae Gorgons!!! Sheeesh!

IMHB (A new abbr. that stands for 'In My Home Brew' ), I think I will call them Taurodons. Awhile back we (the folks who helped with the Utter East thread) worked-out three different species of Gorgons - the Sthenoi (naga-like) and Euryalae (harpy-like), and Medusae (standard). I liked that so it will make it into my HB setting.

And once-again I have gone off on a tangent....

So the general take on this particular PF product is that it was a great idea that fell short?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 07 Nov 2010 22:15:24
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2010 :  01:20:18  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry, the Warlock is in the 3PP Tome of Secrets, not in the Advanced Player's Guide. The APG has the Witch class, which is actually pretty cool (instead of a spellbook and study, they get their spells by communicating with their familiar every morning and Hexes).

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

idilippy
Senior Scribe

USA
417 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2010 :  02:20:11  Show Profile Send idilippy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah I would say that the APG did not at all disappoint or fall short, the Tome of Secrets on the other hand might have been a bit of a letdown. I know I'm glad I didn't buy it, I read the Artificer class and was not all that impressed so I passed on the book.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2010 :  18:46:23  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, okay - thanks for the heads-up.

Yeah, I re-worked the witch myself, and added some stuff from the sha'ir class of Al-Qadim (the gen is really just an Arabian-flavored familiar). Sounds like PF went the same route.

I started to create an entire set of rules just for Primitive Casters, which included 'natural talents' like Witches and Hedgewizrds, and classes that got help from 'outside sources', like Shamans & Witchdoctors. That branched into a set of rules just for familiars, which branched into yet-another set of rules covering 'special creatures' (Paladin's Mount, Animal Companions, etc).

I realized I was re-writing about a dozen classes from scratch (along with tons of other rules), and the thing was starting to look like a splatbook (just the notes!), so I trashed the project. Too much work for very little return.

Who knows? Someday it may become the basis for my own set of OGL rules.

Edited by - Markustay on 08 Nov 2010 18:47:10
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4430 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2010 :  15:12:13  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

But my biggest complaint (based on what folks have posted) is that they decided to go with the gawd-awful WotC Warlock for their own?

Does anyone even KNOW what a friggin' Warlock is anymore?

Not that I mind the Warlock class (in either system), but I would definately go with a completely different name in my HB.

I'd call him an 'Eldritch Knight' or some-such. A warlock, IMHO, is the Mage who has specialized in summoning magic and holds sway over a coven. I really hate when a company applies a mythological/folklore term to a completely different creature/person.

I think the mechanics of the v3.5 Warlock were a bit misplaced. I'd have liked to see a sort of demon summoning mage with their invocations. What we got instead was a semi-striker (for lack of a better word) that sorta, kinda deals damage and has some useful invocations but lacks any direction what-so-ever.

A Warlock that has Eldritch Blast progression of +1d8 every odd level, class features that curse people (yes like 4E's version) AND has invocations with summoning powers....would be a very interesting class indeed.

Looks like I'll have to re-do the class and make it better!!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000