Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 1st Edition AD&D Goodness
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Halidan
Senior Scribe

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2010 :  19:41:10  Show Profile  Visit Halidan's Homepage Send Halidan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

Strange trivia--Dave's maps for his EPT campaigns later became the core maps for the Ruins of Undermountain boxed set!

I had the very good fortune to be an occassional (i.e. as often as my parents would allow) player in Dave's EPT campaign, and saw those maps on many occasions. They were actually bigger than the Undermountain poster maps, mounted on 4'x8' foamcore (or maybe thick posterboard) and covered significantly more area.

I still remember opening the Undermountain box set and diving straight for the maps (as I do with any RPG product). I was looking at the level one map and my eye was drawn to a aprticular area. It looked hauntingly familiar. Suddenly, I realized it was Dave's Temple of Vimukla (EPT's evil Fire/Destruction God). Several years before (in real time) the EPT campaign set out to destroy this temple. We suceeded, but at great cost.

Dave was also the one who drew those amazing 3/4 perspective maps of the castle for Hickman's original Ravenloft. He was a mapping genius.

For those of you who never knew Dave Southerland, he had an amazing set of styrofoam dungeon blocks, grided in 1" squares. Floors and dungeon/cavern walls were included, as well as things like stairs, grav cars, crystal statues, and almost anything else that mattered.

The Vimukla temple was both large and complex, but Dave had no problem pulling thins out of his boxes and building the entire complex as we explored it. It was truly eye-candy for the RPG gamer. Seeing it as part of Undermountain was amazing.

My interest in miniatures and terrain was started by Dave, and to this day, I try and live up to his standard. I rarely suceed.

quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

Amazing guy I still miss today, that Mr. Sutherland.

Steven

Agreed. I actually cried the day I was told that he had passed away. Dave had his demons, but I (for one) had thought he had gotten a handle on them. If Gary Gygax is truly running D&D in the afterlife, he'll be doing it with Dave's miniatures and terrain.

"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied,
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

Edgar Allen Poe - 1849
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2010 :  13:27:29  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Halidan

If you're talking about the puns and shaggy dogs stories, I'll try and remember some of them.

If you're using "entertaining" to mean stories about the many different personalities and happens in the early days of D&D, not without either talking to Jeff or the persons involved with the tale. Candlekeep is too classy a place for some of my more "entertaining" stories. Sorry.

Quite understandable, but I had to ask.

Go to Top of Page

Halidan
Senior Scribe

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2010 :  17:42:22  Show Profile  Visit Halidan's Homepage Send Halidan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't promise anything, but I'm headed home for the Thanksgiving holidays. I'll make it a point to look up Jeff and see what stories he wouldn't mind me sharing.

"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied,
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

Edgar Allen Poe - 1849
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic