Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 1st Edition AD&D Goodness
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

froglegg
Learned Scribe

317 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2010 :  23:53:01  Show Profile Send froglegg a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
My copy came today and I thought 1st edition fans here might like it as well.

http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=44132

John

Long live Alias and Dragonbait! Kate Novak and Jeff Grubb the Realms need you more then ever!

On my word as a sage nothing within these pages is false, but not all of it may prove to be true. - Elminster of Shadowdale

The Old Grey Box gets better with age!

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2010 :  10:05:18  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looks great. The OSRIC products and others are perfectly legal, but this seems to be testing the limits I'll admit. It will be interesting to see if there is any form of reaction from WotC or if they even notice, unless some overzealous person feels the need to draw their attention to it.

How well does it fit with the older Realms and can it be easily adapted to a certain region?
Go to Top of Page

froglegg
Learned Scribe

317 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2010 :  13:15:45  Show Profile Send froglegg a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

Looks great. The OSRIC products and others are perfectly legal, but this seems to be testing the limits I'll admit. It will be interesting to see if there is any form of reaction from WotC or if they even notice, unless some overzealous person feels the need to draw their attention to it.

How well does it fit with the older Realms and can it be easily adapted to a certain region?

From what I have read of it so far it fits like a glove. It could work really well in the Dalelands or as some small town in Cormyr but you can change the names that the mod uses and just about put it anywhere in the Realms that you heart desires.

John

Long live Alias and Dragonbait! Kate Novak and Jeff Grubb the Realms need you more then ever!

On my word as a sage nothing within these pages is false, but not all of it may prove to be true. - Elminster of Shadowdale

Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2010 :  13:59:04  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It seems like the general reaction at Dragonsfoot is positive to. It might be worth looking into.
Go to Top of Page

froglegg
Learned Scribe

317 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2010 :  15:13:15  Show Profile Send froglegg a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

It seems like the general reaction at Dragonsfoot is positive to. It might be worth looking into.

Oh-Yeah!

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2010 :  11:48:37  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I liked it - it's worth looking into

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2010 :  16:28:48  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Am I the only one who finds it odd to see this referred to as a "1st edition" product? To me, the 1st edition is three beige pamphlets in a white cardboard box, and a whole lot of fun they were, too.
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2010 :  16:57:48  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Technically, that's true. But most gamers refer to those as the OE (Original Edition) and 1st Edition is generally considered to have started with the Advanced D&D release in 1977 (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/DnDArchives_History.asp).

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Thauramarth
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
729 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2010 :  17:37:40  Show Profile Send Thauramarth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lee Byers

Am I the only one who finds it odd to see this referred to as a "1st edition" product? To me, the 1st edition is three beige pamphlets in a white cardboard box, and a whole lot of fun they were, too.

Actually, come to think of it, the whole D&D product line is a bit like the Star Wars Franchise, when it comes to naming and numbering.
The beige books were 1st edition D&D, and D&D followed by the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th edition. After the 4th edition of Dungeons and Dragons, came the 2nd Edition of Advanced Dungeons and Dragons, which followed the 1st Edition of Advanced Dungeons & Dragons, and was followed by the 3rd Edition of Advanced Dungeons & Dragons, which was, however, called the 3rd Edition of Dungeons & Dragons (which was published long after the Rules Cyclopedia, which was the 5th Edition of Dungeons and Dragons) and then came 4th Edition, followed by Pathfinder, which is the 3.75th edition of Dungeons & Dragons.

All that's missing is Jar-Jar Binks, really.

Edited by - Thauramarth on 15 Oct 2010 17:38:18
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2010 :  04:44:44  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure Pathfinder officially counts, does it?

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2010 :  04:59:58  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not officially, no. But it is a spiritual descendant, like OSRIC and Castles & Crusades.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2010 :  00:14:38  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Right.

The old Basic boxed set is usually referred to as OD&D. It never had another edition, AFAIK. 'Editions' always refer to AD&D.

It looks cool, but I'm not interested in running a 1st edition game. I wish them all the best.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Thauramarth
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
729 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2010 :  08:02:08  Show Profile Send Thauramarth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Right.

The old Basic boxed set is usually referred to as OD&D. It never had another edition, AFAIK. 'Editions' always refer to AD&D.

Well, they were not referred by number, but OD&D basically went through five incarnations (see this wikipedia article:

- the original 3-book 1974 boxed set (the beige books);
- the 1977 Holmes version (just the Basic set)
- the 1981 Moldvay version (Basic and Expert sets)
- the Mentzer boxed set series (1983-1985): the Basic, Expert, Companion, Master, and Immortals sets;
- the Rules Cyclopedia version and the accompanying Wrath of the Immortals boxed set.

These were not specificially referred to as separate editions, but there were revisions and changes between them. Although personally I can only vouch for the differences between the Mentzer sets and the Rules Cyclopedia.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2010 :  10:36:43  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Haha, I remember my first D&D set (probably the "Holmes" box) included absolutely crappy polyhedral dice ... the little d6 was made of wood and actually broke during a play session.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

froglegg
Learned Scribe

317 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2010 :  14:31:09  Show Profile Send froglegg a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arik

Haha, I remember my first D&D set (probably the "Holmes" box) included absolutely crappy polyhedral dice ... the little d6 was made of wood and actually broke during a play session.

LOL My D20 kind of got worn smooth, it would just role for a good while and the white crayon stuff that you had to put on the numbers yourself was starting to come out. Sigh, it seems like only yesterday.

John

Go to Top of Page

Matt James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2010 :  14:35:42  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure what the were called back in 1974, but the original boxed sets are referred to as OD&D. I own many, including a 1st print woodgrain boxed set-- confirmed as having only 1000 copies and all hand assembled by E. Gary Gygax and family.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2010 :  17:52:33  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The D&D games in those boxes are spectacular ... but what kind of dice are in 'em?

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Matt James

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2010 :  07:55:22  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No dice came with the original boxes. I believe the first time dice showed up was in the D&D Basic Set, circa 1977.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2010 :  15:54:12  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Matt, I'm almost positive there were dice in my OD&D box. I couldn't have played without them, and at that point in time, I wouldn't have known where else to get them.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2010 :  20:31:43  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I still have the ugly, melted-looking plastic ones that came with my first box, but I am unaware of any wooden ones. However, it sounds like the version Arik had may have been an even earlier iteration of the box.

My d6, which I still own, is definitely plastic.

And I do remember having to fill-in the numbers with crayon - funny how something so minor brings a smile to my face. The D20's also only had numbers 0-9 (twice), so you had to use two different color crayons to make a D20 (and call a color for 'high').

Oh, and I had to walk 20 miles - in a blizzard - just to get to the LGS. You whipper-snappers don't know how good you got it, with your horseless carriages and your celly-phones!

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Halidan
Senior Scribe

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2010 :  20:56:56  Show Profile  Visit Halidan's Homepage Send Halidan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Arik, I don't mean any disrespect, but I think you're incorrect about the wooden dice.

To my knowledge, those first sets of polyhedral dice were plastic (not wooden) and were made available first through the Lake Geneva Tactical Studies Association and later from the Dungeon Hobby Shop in Lake Geneva. At that time, DHS was being run by one of Gary's sons (Luke, I think) and Jeff Perren. I have several sets from the summer of 1976, which was before the first Basic box set came out, but the products were the same.

The plastic was cheap (the dice were imported wholesale from a Korean science/teaching company, I seem to recall) and each size dice (d4, d6, etc) was a different color, with two colors of d10's for rolling percentiles. The one's I have from that era had green d6's, but IIRC, those colors did vary depending on the batch.

"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied,
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

Edgar Allen Poe - 1849

Edited by - Halidan on 18 Oct 2010 21:03:14
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2010 :  21:28:05  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is entirely possible the dice were added/swapped by the previous owner.

My version was a (fairly used) hand-me-down, a freebie received from the DM when he bought himself the newer box. I recall a mismatched set of Armory dice (conclusively identified a few years ago, with the help of Kevin Cook's site), many colours, a bit irregular and lumpy, no d10 (but an extra 10+10 d20). The cheap d6 was definitely wooden and bounced around like a crazy puppy (until it broke, rolling 2 and 5, incidentally), but it may not have been OEM issue.

[Edit]
Now that I think of it, it seems almost certain the previous owner swapped dice. He always insisted on playing with his "luckiest" dice. So the box he gave me probably contained all his rejects.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 18 Oct 2010 21:30:59
Go to Top of Page

Matt James

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2010 :  06:01:39  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dice did not show up inside the box-sets until the Basic Set in 1977. Check out this link for some references. I own many (far too many) ancient D&D relics and while my word may not suffice, this site is consider top-notch for research. The Basic Set came with five precolored dice in a small poly bag (no D10 or dice crayon-- those came in later printings). It is easy to believe the OD&D sets had them due to the proximity of time between the 1st print OD&D (1974) and the Basic Set (1977).

http://www.acaeum.com/ddindexes/setpages/basic.html

Edited by - Matt James on 19 Oct 2010 06:03:03
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2010 :  14:40:58  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Okay, Matt, you clearly know your stuff, so I'll take your word for it. I wish I could remember where the heck I got polyhedral dice, though; it's going to bug me.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2010 :  15:00:10  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
AFAIK, I always had to buy the crayon separately - I don't recall one coming in a box (but there may have been a 'printing run' I didn't have, of course). My first box may have also been bought second-hand - I'm not sure.

D10's did indeed come out until much later - AFAIK no-one ever got one of those in a box. You got the D20's with the double sets of 0-9 on them. If I had to take a guess, I would say those d10's came out around 1980 (but that's just a guess based on when and where I remember being the first time I saw them).

I collect dice, and have hundreds of them. I have a few dozen black d6's with skulls for the '1' I got when I worked for FGU, which produced them. I stopped using them a long time ago because I found the skull pic wore-off after only a couple of months of use and I didn't want to ruin them.

I also have that nifty sarcophagus that came out a few years back with 10 D10's in it - my players always panic when I pull THAT box out.
Hmmmm... just tried to find those and I see that they later produced a set (in the same container) with ankhs for the '1' - I must get that ASAP.

Edited by - Markustay on 19 Oct 2010 15:02:42
Go to Top of Page

Matt James

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2010 :  15:11:25  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lee Byers

Okay, Matt, you clearly know your stuff, so I'll take your word for it. I wish I could remember where the heck I got polyhedral dice, though; it's going to bug me.

hehe, sorry if my last reply came off as dry ;) It was late and I the internet has a way of swallowing emotion unless I use little digital faces -> :)

I am curious of the answer to your question as well. I remember speaking with Dave Wesely, one of the pre-D&D pals of Dave and Gary. He said that they found the dice in some science magazine and thought it would be cool to include them in their new game somehow. Anyways, I'm not sure this helps in figuring out where they came from or not.
Go to Top of Page

Halidan
Senior Scribe

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2010 :  18:31:08  Show Profile  Visit Halidan's Homepage Send Halidan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Your correct about the magazine discovery of the dice. As Jeff Perren told it to me, the science magazine had an artical about a pacific rim (Japan IIRC, but it could have been Korea) school that taught percentiles, bell curves and other probability subjects by designing different sized dice and having students use them in different combinations and graph the result.

The article also gave the LGTSA (Lake Geneva Tactical Studies Association) the info on where to get the dice. They imported them in large cardboard barrels. Some of the dice were used in TRS's pre-D&D wargaming products. IIRC, at least one rules phamplet/booklet for determining the hit locations and body damage for modern and WWII firearms used the dice. At least several of the home-brew rules of the various LGTSA members used some/all of them. They were just too unusual not to use.

As chainmail morphed into OD&D, the used of the polyhedrals was used as an alternative the 2-12 bell curve that most other contemporary waragmes used.

BTW - for those of you wondering how I know these inane detals is that I grew up in Rockford, IL., just 45 min from Lake Geneva. My folks had good friends who owned lakeside property up there and we went often in the summers. At the time, I was a high schooler with with a deep love for both historical board and miniature wargames. I caught that particular bug from a couple of PE teachers and baseball coaches at my school.

While never a member of the LGTSA, I went to several of their events - mostly the summer weekend games, but also the ocassional mini-cons during the school year that eventually morphed into things like Autumn Revel and Winter Fantasy.

While I games with historically with these folk, I didn't bite on role-playing until David Sutherland showed me the marvelous maps that M.A.R. Baker had produced for the 1E Petal Throne game. D&D naturally folowed.

After college, I had the pleasure of working with Jeff Perren at a hobby shop in Rockford. A dream job, the owner paid us every week in cash, and allowed us to purchase games, paints and figures during the week as a draft against our pay. I often took home less than 1/2 my check and one week, owed him money on Saturday.

My parents strongly encouraged me to look for alternative employment. Fun work, but not the kind that will pay off college loans very fast.

One of the side benefits of working with Jeff (other than a lifetime of painting tips and many marvelous puns/shaggy dog stories) was that it gave him ample time to fill in the hole in my knowledge of the early Lake Geneva days with his stories.

"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied,

Edgar Allen Poe - 1849

Edited by - Halidan on 19 Oct 2010 18:35:29
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2010 :  11:23:41  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Halidan

One of the side benefits of working with Jeff (other than a lifetime of painting tips and many marvelous puns/shaggy dog stories) was that it gave him ample time to fill in the hole in my knowledge of the early Lake Geneva days with his stories.

Anything entertaining you could share?
Go to Top of Page

Halidan
Senior Scribe

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2010 :  19:31:31  Show Profile  Visit Halidan's Homepage Send Halidan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you're talking about the puns and shaggy dogs stories, I'll try and remember some of them.

If you're using "entertaining" to mean stories about the many different personalities and happens in the early days of D&D, not without either talking to Jeff or the persons involved with the tale. Candlekeep is too classy a place for some of my more "entertaining" stories. Sorry.

"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied,

Edgar Allen Poe - 1849
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2010 :  20:40:41  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

While I games with historically with these folk, I didn't bite on role-playing until David Sutherland showed me the marvelous maps that M.A.R. Baker had produced for the 1E Petal Throne game. D&D naturally followed.
Thanks for this piece of RPG trivia - I was unaware of the world of Tékumel, and will have to add that to my list of canon D&D worlds (because it used a simplified version of the D&D rules and was produced by TSR). Looks very cool - I will have to try and appropriate some of those maps.

I have heard of Petal Throne before, but never really looked into it - I saw the ads in the old Dragon magazines and just assumed it was some crappy (early) 3rd party product. Live and learn.

EDIT: OMG! This is too funny - while trying to track down material for the setting I found that one of the lead Illustrators (Marjasall) is a guy I have worked with before and is a friend of mine on MySpace - small world.

I'll have to keep him in mind when I get my site up - I love the work he did on that Kobold book.

Edited by - Markustay on 21 Oct 2010 21:07:28
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2010 :  15:37:51  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

quote:

While I games with historically with these folk, I didn't bite on role-playing until David Sutherland showed me the marvelous maps that M.A.R. Baker had produced for the 1E Petal Throne game. D&D naturally followed.
Thanks for this piece of RPG trivia - I was unaware of the world of Tékumel, and will have to add that to my list of canon D&D worlds (because it used a simplified version of the D&D rules and was produced by TSR). Looks very cool - I will have to try and appropriate some of those maps.

I have heard of Petal Throne before, but never really looked into it - I saw the ads in the old Dragon magazines and just assumed it was some crappy (early) 3rd party product. Live and learn.

EDIT: OMG! This is too funny - while trying to track down material for the setting I found that one of the lead Illustrators (Marjasall) is a guy I have worked with before and is a friend of mine on MySpace - small world.

I'll have to keep him in mind when I get my site up - I love the work he did on that Kobold book.

Strange trivia--Dave's maps for his EPT campaigns later became the core maps for the Ruins of Undermountain boxed set!

Amazing guy I still miss today, that Mr. Sutherland.

Steven

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000