Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Unbroken Chain: A Review
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2010 :  15:24:02  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Just thought I'd pop in and pimp out one of my fellow Young Dragons (represent!): Jaleigh Johnson and her newest, sharpest Realms novel to date: Unbroken Chain.

This novel is dark, gritty, and gripping. This isn't your light-hearted "hero on a quest to save the world and find true love" sort of fantasy. It's an antihero navigating the intrigues and social mores of a society built around darkness, battle, and destiny, all the while resisting his own urges to see treachery in every corner--including his own heart.

When dealing with shadar-kai--a people defined by their struggle with bleakness inside and out--you're going to have to deal with darkness one way or another, and Jaleigh plunges full-steam into the shadows. She unflinchingly shows us what it would be like to live with the sorts of demons that plague the shadow-folk, from their addiction to adrenaline, to what friendship and affection mean to them, to their intense fear of the death lurking inside their bodies and souls.

The psychological construction of the characters is nothing short of remarkable, and the visualization of a society predicated on battle and treachery is amazing. Not since Bob's remarkable treatment of drow society in Homeland have I seen an alien FR culture quite so well defined.

I had a great time reading it, and I think fans of the Realms' sword-and-sorcery aspect will too. I highly recommend it.

Cheers

PS: This one is pretty violent and deals with some intense themes. If you're thinking of giving this to a kid to read, read it yourself first to approve.

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"

Caolin
Senior Scribe

768 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2010 :  01:02:40  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

Just thought I'd pop in and pimp out one of my fellow Young Dragons (represent!): Jaleigh Johnson and her newest, sharpest Realms novel to date: Unbroken Chain.

This novel is dark, gritty, and gripping. This isn't your light-hearted "hero on a quest to save the world and find true love" sort of fantasy. It's an antihero navigating the intrigues and social mores of a society built around darkness, battle, and destiny, all the while resisting his own urges to see treachery in every corner--including his own heart.

When dealing with shadar-kai--a people defined by their struggle with bleakness inside and out--you're going to have to deal with darkness one way or another, and Jaleigh plunges full-steam into the shadows. She unflinchingly shows us what it would be like to live with the sorts of demons that plague the shadow-folk, from their addiction to adrenaline, to what friendship and affection mean to them, to their intense fear of the death lurking inside their bodies and souls.

The psychological construction of the characters is nothing short of remarkable, and the visualization of a society predicated on battle and treachery is amazing. Not since Bob's remarkable treatment of drow society in Homeland have I seen an alien FR culture quite so well defined.

I had a great time reading it, and I think fans of the Realms' sword-and-sorcery aspect will too. I highly recommend it.

Cheers

PS: This one is pretty violent and deals with some intense themes. If you're thinking of giving this to a kid to read, read it yourself first to approve.

I'm liking the writing so far, feels very gritty and real...if that makes any sense. My only issue so far is that I don't know much about the Shadar-kai or Ikemmu and I was never really that interested in them in the first place. This is causing my connection to the characters and setting to grow at a slower pace. Overall I am enjoying it and would totally recommend it.
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2010 :  02:24:34  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sage should be opening scrolls for it in the book club as well.

I got mine in the mail the other day and am having a hard time not leaving the trilogy(finally got arounf to the threat from the sea) I am in the middle of!

edit: spelling....i hate typing on the iPhone!

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963

Edited by - The Red Walker on 22 Jul 2010 16:17:33
Go to Top of Page

Jaleigh J.
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
139 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2010 :  05:10:30  Show Profile  Visit Jaleigh J.'s Homepage Send Jaleigh J. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

Aww...I mean...jeez, Erik...thank you. *blushes and runs away*

http://www.jaleighjohnson.com
http://www.livejournal.com/users/jaleigh_johnson
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2010 :  07:22:22  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

Sage should be opening scrolld for it in the book club as well.
Indeed, I will. Just waiting for my copy to arrive in the mail.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Erethar
Acolyte

Germany
20 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2010 :  21:15:05  Show Profile  Visit Erethar's Homepage Send Erethar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm looking forward to reading it (shadowy and gritty? I'm in!)

But wasn't this planned first as a non-FR Novel? I am really curious how you tied it into FR so that it feels 'whole'

But as I've already read Mistshore and The Howling Delve, I'm very confident you nailed it.

ps: there are a LOT misspellings of mistshore that have a definite negative connotation...as I just learned the hard way

Edited by - Erethar on 22 Jul 2010 21:17:21
Go to Top of Page

Jaleigh J.
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
139 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2010 :  22:05:03  Show Profile  Visit Jaleigh J.'s Homepage Send Jaleigh J. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erethar

I'm looking forward to reading it (shadowy and gritty? I'm in!)

But wasn't this planned first as a non-FR Novel? I am really curious how you tied it into FR so that it feels 'whole'

Erethar,

The novel was always planned as a Forgotten Realms novel, the only change was that originally it was going to be part of a series of standalones written by different authors, much like The Dungeons series. This got changed fairly early on in marketing, but the novel itself never changed. That might be the source of the confusion.

Jaleigh

Go to Top of Page

Erethar
Acolyte

Germany
20 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2010 :  22:12:37  Show Profile  Visit Erethar's Homepage Send Erethar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, thank you for the clarification.

I didn't want to spread false rumours, I hope i didn't mislead someone into thinking this isn't good FR literature.

Just based on your previous works, i can highly recommend this novel. Especially The Howling Delve was a great Read(ing?)
Go to Top of Page

Jaleigh J.
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
139 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2010 :  05:50:44  Show Profile  Visit Jaleigh J.'s Homepage Send Jaleigh J. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erethar

Ah, thank you for the clarification.

I didn't want to spread false rumours, I hope i didn't mislead someone into thinking this isn't good FR literature.

Just based on your previous works, i can highly recommend this novel. Especially The Howling Delve was a great Read(ing?)

No worries, Erethar, and thanks, I'm glad you've enjoyed the books.

Go to Top of Page

Ashok-ed
Acolyte

1 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2010 :  11:45:15  Show Profile  Visit Ashok-ed's Homepage Send Ashok-ed a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok, so I was given this book over the weekend by a friend. I am not necessarily a fan of the Forgotten Realms...series? collection? what is the word here?...but I found this book to be extrememly well written (enough so that I made an account on this message board just to post this).

The character's were developed so well that in only a few paragraphs I found myself attached to them - even "minor" characters such as Olra, the Camborr master, were easy to grow fond of.

In similar fashion, the richly developed world of the shadar-kai and the marvelous city of Ikemmu are detailed so well that even someone who only reads FR books when they are given to him is easily drawn in (I want to go into much more detailed discussion, but I am afraid I might spoil the book for someone else).

The book also touches on some "real world" topics in the form of religious struggles for dominance that I found entertaining - is there room in any world for more than one God to worship?

All in all I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys a good read, and especially to any fan of fantasy. My free copy will be passed around to my other friends as well...ok, maybe I will just tell them to buy a copy to help the author out a little.

Oh, and on that note, I must confess I was surprised to discover the author of this book was a woman...the usual limitations of that gender were not at play here at all ;-)

edit: Oh, and if Unbroken Chain does not spawn a series that further's the story of Ashok and/or Ikemmu (be it sequel or prequel) then the powers that be at Forgotten Realms will have made a grave error.

Edited by - Ashok-ed on 28 Jul 2010 12:05:44
Go to Top of Page

Ruul
Seeker

USA
64 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2010 :  15:46:13  Show Profile  Visit Ruul's Homepage Send Ruul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just started reading this today. Gonna be a totally unproductive day at work. =)
Go to Top of Page

Ruul
Seeker

USA
64 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2010 :  21:28:37  Show Profile  Visit Ruul's Homepage Send Ruul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What an amazing read! Thank you Jaleigh. Looking forward to the next book!!
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2010 :  23:38:45  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Glad to hear Jaliegh is working on a sequel! I really liked this book and look for ward to reading about some of the characters again like the halfling bard!

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Sith_Lord_Drizzt
Seeker

Canada
92 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2010 :  17:03:35  Show Profile  Visit Sith_Lord_Drizzt's Homepage Send Sith_Lord_Drizzt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow! This was an amazing read! Jaleigh, you have created a masterpiece here. Erik had it right about the Shadar-Kai culture being so well detailed in this novel and comparing it to Salvatore's Drow society.

I'm interested in how you came up with the name Ashok? It's a common name in India that means "one without sorrow".

Thanks for a fantastic read! I'm really looking forward to the next novel!

"Jarlaxle's grin disappeared as he turned his attention to Drizzt. He watched the fury of the drow unleashed. Jarlaxle had seen Drizzt in action many times before, but never like that".
Go to Top of Page

Jaleigh J.
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
139 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2010 :  18:31:16  Show Profile  Visit Jaleigh J.'s Homepage Send Jaleigh J. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sith_Lord_Drizzt

Wow! This was an amazing read! Jaleigh, you have created a masterpiece here. Erik had it right about the Shadar-Kai culture being so well detailed in this novel and comparing it to Salvatore's Drow society.

I'm interested in how you came up with the name Ashok? It's a common name in India that means "one without sorrow".

Thanks for a fantastic read! I'm really looking forward to the next novel!

Thank you, I'm very glad you enjoyed!

If I remember correctly, Ashok was originally going to be called just Ash because I was playing on the grays of the Shadowfell, the grays of his nature, etc. But in the end I wasn't happy with it; it was too obvious, so I just incorporated Ash into a slightly longer name with a strong pop at the end. I intended most of the shadar-kai names to be like that: short, sharp, and to the point.

I really like "one without sorrow" as a meaning for the name, though I can't say it unequivocally applies to Ashok's nature. He has plenty of sorrow, but he often buries it in violence, poor thing.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000