Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Elaine Cunningham [II]
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 37

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2010 :  12:13:24  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

Sorry, i am new to the Forums and just found this post, I was wondering has there been any further development on Elaith's half-silver dragon companion? What was his name? I believe I read of him in the Waterdeep novel. Any other sources for info on this character?

Tincheron, yes that was it.I found the short story in Dragon, but I'm still wondering, any kind of build for him? I'd be most interested to see it. Thanks.

Hi, Fellfire. Welcome to Candlekeep!

Tincheron plays an important part in The Serpent's Daughter, a novel scheduled for 2012. He also appears in the short story "Games of Chance," first published in Dragon Magazine and reprinted in the collection Best of the Realms Book III: The Stories of Elaine Cunningham.

Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2010 :  12:32:27  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by skychrome

Hi Elaine, I just finished Thornhold!

What an excellent novel, your whole Songs & Swords series is just unbeatable in terms of realms flavor!

Reading the Epilogue I could not avoid the impression, that you clearly had a part II in mind considering that there where left strings wide open such as Dag vs. Bronwyn, Algorind and Gareth, Paladins vs Harpers and considering the final dialogue between Piergeiron and Kelben maybe even the future rupture among the Harpers...

So...quite some stuff to fill several books with actually.

Can you give some insight on what where your original plans with those open strings and why you did not continue them?

Hi, skychrome. Glad to hear that you enjoyed Thornhold.

You're quite correct about the open threads and the potential for several other books. That was the original plan.

When I signed on to write the book, it was with the understanding that this would be a "pivot" book, which would end the Harper series but steer the events off in a new direction, which would finally lead to the dissolution of the Harpers and the trial of Khelben Arunsun. I was asked to create two central characters, one male and one female, with the understanding that these would become shared-author characters in a number of books and game products that would develop this story path. I was also asked to create a number of possible story hooks that could be picked up in future products. So that's how I wrote the story.

Unfortunately, the editorial direction changed before the book was published and this entire story arc was dropped. Rather than tell me about the change of plan and allow time for the book to be revised accordingly, Thornhold was published as originally designed and became, you should excuse the political reference, "a pivot to nowhere." This inconclusive "ending" left a lot of readers puzzled and, in some very vocal cases, angry.

While this was a frustrating situation, it is by no means unique. New editions are published, editors come and go, plans change. Some transitions are handled better than others.
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2010 :  13:42:58  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Elaine,
thank you very much for the insights! In any case, I loved the novel! The realms flair is just great and it makes me want to pull out dice and character sheet. I think after all, that's what those shared world novels should ideally acomplish!

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625

Edited by - skychrome on 29 Nov 2010 16:01:38
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2010 :  18:37:29  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

Hi, folks. Got a favor to ask of you.

If you plan to read WINTER WITCH, would you consider posting a review on Amazon.com and/or other review sites? The Pathfinder Tales line is just starting out, and the amount of exposure the first couple of titles receive could be very important for the line.

Thanks! Hope you enjoy the story.

Just thought I'd quote this, since the book is now available on Amazon and can thus be reviewed.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 29 Nov 2010 18:37:43
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2010 :  21:57:26  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mrs. Cunningham, both Myrin Silverspear and Elaith Craulnober were captains of the royal guard in Evermeet? If so, can I suppose they know each other from that time?

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2010 :  22:30:46  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Barastir

Mrs. Cunningham, both Myrin Silverspear and Elaith Craulnober were captains of the royal guard in Evermeet? If so, can I suppose they know each other from that time?

Myrin is a generation older than Elaith. He was a contemporary of Zaor Moonflower. But yes, they have met.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2010 :  22:10:58  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wouldn't that infer that Elaith replaced Myrin? Or that Myrin trained Elaith?

Considering the longevity of elves, I doubt there was anyone who served 'between them' (but you never know).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2010 :  23:26:12  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Considering the longevity of elves, I doubt there was anyone who served 'between them' (but you never know).

I never worked out a historical roster of the royal guardian captains, but it's not necessarily a position held for life. Seriously, can you imagine holding the same job for CENTURIES?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2010 :  00:57:23  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I never worked out a historical roster of the royal guardian captains, but it's not necessarily a position held for life. Seriously, can you imagine holding the same job for CENTURIES?

Imagine the amount of leave you would accrue each year... And you'd build up one heck of a 401k!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2010 :  19:18:28  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, that is great news, Elaine! I really liked Tincheron in Games of Chance, and wanted to learna lot more of him.

"Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?
Behold, he put no trust in his servants; and his angels he charged with folly.
How much less them that dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation in the dust, are crushed before the moth?" - Eliphaz the Temanite, Job IV, 17-19.

"Yea, though he live a thousand years twice, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?" - Ecclesiastes VI, 6.

"There are no stupid questions – just a bunch of inquisitive idiots."

"Let's not call it 'hijacking'. Let's call it 'Thread Drift'."
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2010 :  23:30:07  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

quote:

Imagine the amount of leave you would accrue each year... And you'd build up one heck of a 401k!
LOL!

So THAT's the real secret behind the Elves, Evermeet, and the Retreat - Elves don't die, they just work-up to 52 weeks vacation a year.

"Uhhh.. yeah, hi... this is Elaith... I'm just calling in to let you know I'm gonna use some of my vacation-time... see you in a few centuries..."

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 07 Dec 2010 23:31:15
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2010 :  14:11:48  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The prologue for Winter Witch is available as a preview over at Paizo: http://paizo.com/store/byCompany/p/paizoPublishingLLC/pathfinder/tales/serial/v5748dyo5lbog&page=1

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2010 :  14:18:15  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

The prologue for Winter Witch is available as a preview over at Paizo: http://paizo.com/store/byCompany/p/paizoPublishingLLC/pathfinder/tales/serial/v5748dyo5lbog&page=1

Thanks for posting this, Kajehase!
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2010 :  15:10:31  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll even try to post a review for it later. One that's longer than: "I really liked it" that is.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2010 :  19:35:27  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

I'll even try to post a review for it later. One that's longer than: "I really liked it" that is.

Thanks, Kajehase!

Oh, by the way, sorry about the inadvertant borrowing of your uncles' names. (It's not QUITE as coincidental as it seems: Hrolf was mine, obviously, but Kjell was Dave Gross's addition.) If you'd like to email or PM me with the names of your OTHER two uncles, I'll be sure to avoid them in future novels.
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2010 :  20:07:32  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The bit about borrowing uncles' names had me ROTFL.

Here goes a question, Elaine: can you tell us anything about Araushnee before she became Lloth? Some scribes are wondering about Araushnee's symbol too...

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2010 :  20:18:12  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zireael

The bit about borrowing uncles' names had me ROTFL.

Here goes a question, Elaine: can you tell us anything about Araushnee before she became Lloth? Some scribes are wondering about Araushnee's symbol too...

I haven't really developed anything about Araushnee that is NOT in the mythology section of the novel Evermeet. As for symbol, in the absense of a canon response, I'd assume that it was the same as she used in her later incarnation as Lolth/Lloth. Araushnee was a skilled spinner and weaver, so it seems likely that she would choose a spider as an emblem, in the same manner that a fine singer might choose to be represented by a songbird.

Hey, not everyone thinks spiders are creepy.
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2010 :  02:05:26  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have another question for you, too (BTW, thanks for adding me to your friends on Facebook!). will there ever be more tales about Liriel Baenre? I understand there was a short story about her, but I can't find it, and I'd really like to know what's happened to her in the last hundred years. Is she still around after the Spellplague?

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2010 :  15:08:23  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

Will there ever be more tales about Liriel Baenre? I understand there was a short story about her, but I can't find it, and I'd really like to know what's happened to her in the last hundred years. Is she still around after the Spellplague?

Hi, Alystra.

The short story about Liriel is "Answered Prayers," and it's in the 2008 collection Best of the Realms III: The Stories of Elaine Cunningham. I don't think this is out of print, but it is difficult to find. I'll be very happy when all of the Forgotten Realms backlist is available as ebooks.

I'm not sure what happened to Liriel during the Spellplague. I think it's likely that she survived, but unlikely that she came through unscathed. When we last saw her, ten years after the events of Windwalker, she was traveling with her Thorn and Sharlarra, and she'd become a cleric of Mystra. This suited both her love of magic and the drow cultural bias toward the priestesshood. What happened to people like Liriel when Mystra died? I couldn't tell you. But I think there might be an interesting story there.

Will that story be told? Again, I don't know. Back when Windwalker was being written, the War of the Spider Queen series was in full swing and the emphasis was on getting back to a focus on evil drow. The 4E changes, particularly the death of Eilistraee and the her "good drow" followers, solidified that trend.

Also, it's my understanding that one of the purposes behind the 100-year time jump was to get AWAY from established characters so that potential readers would not be put off by the need to catch up.

But editors come and go, editorial directions change. I suspect that the current zeitgeist is still leaning away from new stories about old characters (Drizzt excluded, of course), but it may be that this will shift at some point. If this occurs, I will give serious consideration to continuing Liriel's story. I still get several queries a week, which suggests that there may be an audience.

Edited by - ElaineCunningham on 28 Dec 2010 15:11:30
Go to Top of Page

idilippy
Senior Scribe

USA
417 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2010 :  20:19:50  Show Profile Send idilippy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just chiming in to say I'd be part of that audience for a Liriel story, and also to say that I finished Winter Witch a while back and really enjoyed it. Do you have any plans to do further work in the Pathfinder setting?
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2010 :  20:31:59  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by idilippy

Just chiming in to say I'd be part of that audience for a Liriel story, and also to say that I finished Winter Witch a while back and really enjoyed it. Do you have any plans to do further work in the Pathfinder setting?

Thanks! Glad to hear you enjoyed Winter Witch.

A short story I wrote for Wayfinder, a fan-created webzine, will eventually find its way onto the Pathfinder Web Fiction page. Other than that, no plans at this time.
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2010 :  21:25:36  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the answers. Lol, OF COURSE there;s an audience!! And why did she turn from eilistraee to Mystra? That seems an odd switch- or was it detailed in that story? Liriel is really my favorite of your characters, and it's a shame that they chose to go that direction- it left so many stories unfinished...

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2010 :  22:24:06  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

And why did she turn from eilistraee to Mystra?

Liriel never turned away from Eilistraee, per se. She was never among that goddess's followers. And apart from the racial connection, there was no real reason why she would have been.

Unlike most high-ranking female drow, Liriel spent most of her life believing that she would become a wizard. Being forced into Menzoberranzan's priestess academy as a teenager (in drow years) shifted her focus somewhat, but her first love and primary interest was magic. The central quest of the Starlight & Shadows trilogy involved taking drow magic to the surface, something that was impossible under third edition rules. Given Liriel's interests and background, it seemed reasonable to me that she would be drawn to Mystra.

Why not Eilistraee?

Eilistraee's portfolio included song, swordwork, and hunting. Liriel never had a burning interest in any of these things. Eilistraee worship usually involved song and dance. Liriel had only a passing interest in music. As an Underdark drow, she had no particular affinity for the moon, another element of Eilistraee worship, or the starlight that was a central feature in sacred dance.

There's a secondary reason for this choice, probably one that Liriel hasn't actually articulated, not even to herself. Given Lloth's interest in her and the difficulty she had breaking free of the Spider Queen's influence, Liriel was probably smart to put some distance between herself and the drow gods. If Liriel had converted to Eilistraee, it seems to me that Lloth would have been less likely to leave her alone. "I'm rejecting you, Great Queen, in favor of butt-neckid moonlit dancing in the honor of your daughter. The one you hate worse than head lice." That...would not have gone over well.
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2010 :  23:02:21  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I kind of had the impression at the end of that trilogy that she would join her followers, even if it was as a wizard. And I recall that she loved to dance, which is also in Eilistraee's portfolio. I guess I had just assumed that was the connection. Especially since the Dark Maiden started answering her prayers! But Mystra seems a good fit for her. Guess I'll just have to hunt down that book and read the short story! Thanks again.

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2010 :  23:04:09  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is a precedent of someone worshiping BOTH those goddesses at the same time - Qilué veladorn, priestess of Eilistraee and Chosen of Mystra.

There's nothing says you can't be both.

BTW, glad there is a chance of hearing about Liriel again someday - I really liked her story.

Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2011 :  16:13:51  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Elaine, could you tell us at least what kind of a demon Haeshkarr (Evermeet) was? There was a discussion at WotC forums some time ago, but nobody came to any conclusions... and I'm still intrigued by his description.

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2011 :  06:09:26  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Zirael,

According to the Elves of Evermeet game accessory, in Kethryllia Amarillis entry:

"(...) Her lover, Anarallath, was a cleric of Labelas Enoreth, but ran afoul of the tanar'ri and was carried off to the Abyss by the nabassu Haeshkarr. Taking up her enchanted sword, Dharasha, Kethryllia set off for the Abyss."

I just don't know if this game supplement was written before or after Evermeet: Island of Elves. Mrs. Cunningham, Sage, Wooly Rupert?

quote:
Originally posted by Zireael

Hi Elaine, could you tell us at least what kind of a demon Haeshkarr (Evermeet) was? There was a discussion at WotC forums some time ago, but nobody came to any conclusions... and I'm still intrigued by his description.

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)

Edited by - Barastir on 09 Jan 2011 06:13:05
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2011 :  14:45:55  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Barastir

Zirael,

According to the Elves of Evermeet game accessory, in Kethryllia Amarillis entry:

"(...) Her lover, Anarallath, was a cleric of Labelas Enoreth, but ran afoul of the tanar'ri and was carried off to the Abyss by the nabassu Haeshkarr. Taking up her enchanted sword, Dharasha, Kethryllia set off for the Abyss."

I just don't know if this game supplement was written before or after Evermeet: Island of Elves. Mrs. Cunningham, Sage, Wooly Rupert?

The supplement was written before the novel. The entry you quoted was the inspiration for the chapter detailing the Kethryllia legend, so you can assume that the description of the demon was correct--at least, it was correct under second edition rules.

Go to Top of Page

manaeater
Acolyte

13 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2011 :  04:22:03  Show Profile Send manaeater a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello Elaine, can you tell me please if Elkantar is the father of Ysolde. Thank you!
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2011 :  19:38:26  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by manaeater

Hello Elaine, can you tell me please if Elkantar is the father of Ysolde. Thank you!

That's Qilue's story, and she's sticking to it.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 37  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000