Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Elaine Cunningham [II]
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 37

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2010 :  21:46:41  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

I know this is a stupid question, but what book was that in? I'm a bit behind on FR novels, I'm afraid. Aside from one or two authors, I have almost stopped reading after the Spellplague stuff. And even a little before that, to a degree. I guess I'm just not happy about the direction a lot of stories have taken because of it. I'd definitely read any more that you might put out, though! (Loved Evermeet, BTW!!)

If you're asking about Khelben's death and the return of Rhymanthin, Hidden City of Hope, that's detailed in Steven Schend's Blackstaff.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2010 :  17:24:16  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
After reading all the stories of the "Realms of Infamy" anthology, and choosing to save the best for the last (IMO), I've finally read The more things change.

Wonderful story, Mrs. Cunningham. However, considering the changes that came after the Spellplague, the future described in the end of the short story will not happen, am I right? In any way, it is a great reading!

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2010 :  01:08:48  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looks like you can pre-order Winter Witch on Amazon.com, but it does not ship until Dec 7th

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2010 :  12:52:18  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A question to you, Elaine, concerning another scroll:
How much elven blood is there in Danilo's veins? There is obviously enough to allow him to be spellsinger... but I'm wondering. Was the elf in his ancestry three generations back? Five? More?

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2010 :  13:48:03  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zireael

How much elven blood is there in Danilo's veins? There is obviously enough to allow him to be spellsinger... but I'm wondering. Was the elf in his ancestry three generations back? Five? More?

I was thinking the elven in his blood comes from Khelben, which would mean Dan's full elven ancestor was one of Khelben's parents. But I can't remember right now how close Khelben's relation was to Danilo's mother.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Thauramarth
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
729 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2010 :  16:51:54  Show Profile Send Thauramarth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

quote:

I was thinking the elven in his blood comes from Khelben, which would mean Dan's full elven ancestor was one of Khelben's parents. But I can't remember right now how close Khelben's relation was to Danilo's mother.

I'm not Elaine, of course, but based on the Grand History of the Realms and Steven Schend's postings on the old REALMS-L list, here's my best guess: Danilo is the son of Cassandra Thann (née Arunsun); she is the daughter of Zelphair Arunsun, as well as the sister of Khelben "the Younger" (who departed for greener pastures and is/was impersonated by THE Khelben). Zelphair was the son of Khelben the Elder (THE Khelben), whose father Arun Maedrym was a half-elf. so, the way I figure: between Danilo and his full elf ancestor, there's Cassandra-Zelphair-Khelben-Arun. Four generations.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2395 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2010 :  17:00:27  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thauramarth

quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

quote:

I'm not Elaine, of course, but based on the Grand History of the Realms and Steven Schend's postings on the old REALMS-L list, here's my best guess: Danilo is the son of Cassandra Thann (née Arunsun); she is the daughter of Zelphair Arunsun, as well as the sister of Khelben "the Younger" (who departed for greener pastures and is/was impersonated by THE Khelben). Zelphair was the son of Khelben the Elder (THE Khelben), whose father Arun Maedrym was a half-elf. so, the way I figure: between Danilo and his full elf ancestor, there's Cassandra-Zelphair-Khelben-Arun. Four generations.

Thanks for fielding this one. That answers the generational question. As for spellsong, I don't believe a minimum standard for "elfishness" has been established. And since this is a second edition question, I think it's probably safe to say that the Realms has moved on and any answer we might come up with would no longer apply.

Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2395 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2010 :  17:04:03  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Barastir

After reading all the stories of the "Realms of Infamy" anthology, and choosing to save the best for the last (IMO), I've finally read The more things change.

Wonderful story, Mrs. Cunningham. However, considering the changes that came after the Spellplague, the future described in the end of the short story will not happen, am I right? In any way, it is a great reading!

Glad to hear that you enjoyed Elaith's story. No, the ending does not substantially change. I'll have to check the old FR timelines to see what year was assigned to the final scene. If it was after 1384, then yes--that aspect will have to change. But if you assume that Azariah's meeting with Elaith and Arilyn took place before the Spellplague, it still works; in fact, in the prelude to The Serpent's Daughter--which takes place just prior to the Spellplague--Arilyn is referred to as Azariah's swordmaster.
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2010 :  12:38:56  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham
I'll have to check the old FR timelines to see what year was assigned to the final scene. If it was after 1384, then yes - that aspect will have to change.

Mrs. Cunningham,

according to the cronology you published in your site, the scene occurred circa 1890 DR. I believe this date must be canon, but considering it is estimated, and the dates are so close, probably an adjust could be easily made.

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2395 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2010 :  12:42:06  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Barastir

quote:
I'll have to check the old FR timelines to see what year was assigned to the final scene. If it was after 1384, then yes - that aspect will have to change.

Mrs. Cunningham,

according to the cronology you published in your site, the scene occurred circa 1390 DR. I believe this date must be canon, but considering it is estimated, and the dates are so close, probably an adjust could be easily made.

::nods:: It's the sort of thing easily ascribed to clerical error. And by "clerical" I mean clerk, not cleric. Just saying. ;)
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2010 :  11:37:57  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
And by "clerical" I mean clerk, not cleric. Just saying. ;)

Got it from the context, Mrs. Cunningham. But who knows, a cleric with a miSPELLed "augury" could also make the same mistake...

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1864 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2010 :  20:21:50  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Greetings and salutations, Loremistress.

Has the character Hasheth Balik appeared anywhere in novels or other canon Realmslore set after the date of the Cloak & Dagger sourcebook (1370 DR)? Does he yet live in the (to me) current world of the 1370s DR? Is there anything you can relate about his future, his allies or his enemies?

I was wondering whether it would conflict with any canon to have him be travelling on business to the Vilhon Reach in early 1373 DR. Of course, that's not to say that I will necessarily not use him if it does conflict with canon, but it's good to know these things before making a decision.

Za uspiekh nashevo beznadiozhnovo diela!

Forgotten Realms fans, please sign a petition to re-release the FR Interactive Atlas
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2395 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2010 :  20:02:14  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Icelander

Greetings and salutations, Loremistress.

Has the character Hasheth Balik appeared anywhere in novels or other canon Realmslore set after the date of the Cloak & Dagger sourcebook (1370 DR)? Does he yet live in the (to me) current world of the 1370s DR? Is there anything you can relate about his future, his allies or his enemies?

I was wondering whether it would conflict with any canon to have him be travelling on business to the Vilhon Reach in early 1373 DR. Of course, that's not to say that I will necessarily not use him if it does conflict with canon, but it's good to know these things before making a decision.

Hi, Icelander. To the best of my knowledge, Hasheth appears only in my stories and "Cloak & Dagger." There is no reason why he could not be in the Vilhon Reach in 1373 DR. :)
Go to Top of Page

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1864 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2010 :  23:50:35  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hi, Icelander. To the best of my knowledge, Hasheth appears only in my stories and "Cloak & Dagger." There is no reason why he could not be in the Vilhon Reach in 1373 DR. :)

Smashing, baby!

Thank you very much for your prompt answer.

You wouldn't happen to be privy to anything about Helanna Darkstorm's 'origins' or where in Chondath this mysterious timber and ore merchant is supposed to have plyed her trade before her ascension to the Shield Council?

Or is that question better directed to another loremaster? Eric Boyd? Sean K. Reynolds? Sean Schend?

Za uspiekh nashevo beznadiozhnovo diela!

Forgotten Realms fans, please sign a petition to re-release the FR Interactive Atlas
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2395 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2010 :  00:41:50  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Icelander

quote:

Smashing, baby!

Thank you very much for your prompt answer.

You wouldn't happen to be privy to anything about Helanna Darkstorm's 'origins' or where in Chondath this mysterious timber and ore merchant is supposed to have plyed her trade before her ascension to the Shield Council?

Or is that question better directed to another loremaster? Eric Boyd? Sean K. Reynolds? Sean Schend?

That would be Stephen Schend's area of expertise. He was the primary developer on the "Cloak & Dagger" game product.
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2010 :  12:02:00  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just ordered "The Dream Spheres", and it will arrive in "up to 42 business days". I can't wait, this is the only "Songs & Swords" book I still haven't read - even if it's not a favorite of Mrs. Cunningham. Besides, my Realms Campaign is run in 1368 DR Waterdeep and its surroundings.

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2010 :  01:40:07  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Hi, Elaine!

I'm rereading The Magehound. I noticed that the Halruaan wizards specialized in a school or type of magic (divination, conjuration, necromancy, etc...), while their ancestors, the fallen Netherese, pursued wizardry without specialization. I also reread Troy Denning's The Netheril Trilogy, and found nothing that pointed out or even hinted that the Neths indeed practiced magic- specialization. But I might be wrong in this. Which leads me to my question: Did the Halruaan wizards simply follow their ancestors in the practice of magic- specialization (and that Troy simply opted to leave such practice unsaid in his books)? Did they adopt it from the Red Wizards of Thay (who also adopted it from the Imaskari)? Or did they simply practice it without reference to any race as they saw it fit to run their nation?

Also, I am quite (strangely) intrigued by the laraken. I wonder, is there any spell (other than silverfire) or type of magic that it could not absorb, or that if it would absorb, would cause its demise? Spellfire perhaps? Or the phaerimm's version of the silverfire? Or Shadow Weave-based spells? Morever, is it vulnerable to the psionic power of illithids and aboleths?

Every beginning has an end.

Edited by - Dennis on 14 Sep 2010 02:03:44
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2395 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2010 :  13:42:00  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dennis

I'm rereading The Magehound. I noticed that the Halruaan wizards specialized in a school or type of magic (divination, conjuration, necromancy, etc...), while their ancestors, the fallen Netherese, pursued wizardry without specialization. I also reread Troy Denning's The Netheril Trilogy, and found nothing that pointed out or even hinted that the Neths indeed practiced magic- specialization. But I might be wrong in this. Which leads me to my question: Did the Halruaan wizards simply follow their ancestors in the practice of magic- specialization (and that Troy simply opted to leave such practice unsaid in his books)? Did they adopt it from the Red Wizards of Thay (who also adopted it from the Imaskari)? Or did they simply practice it without reference to any race as they saw it fit to run their nation?

The magical specialization of Halruaan wizards was a matter of canon, not something I created for the Counselors & Kings trilogy. That said, when you're writing in an area, you have to figure out WHY things are as they are. To my way of thinking, the various schools of magic developed as part of the culture without reference to Thay or any other magic-using culture. In a society where magic is rare, a generalist wizard would be a figure of enormous power. But when magic is as wide spread and such an important part of a culture as in Halruaa, specialization is a natural progression. It's a bit like the difference between a country doctor and the physicians at a world-renowned medical research facility.

quote:
Also, I am quite (strangely) intrigued by the laraken. I wonder, is there any spell (other than silverfire) or type of magic that it could not absorb, or that if it would absorb, would cause its demise? Spellfire perhaps? Or the phaerimm's version of the silverfire? Or Shadow Weave-based spells? Morever, is it vulnerable to the psionic power of illithids and aboleths?

The laraken is a highly problematic monster. It does not exist in current Realms time, but if by some chance a spawn crawled out of the remnants of the Halruaan jungle, it could be dispatched with magic from the Shadow Weave. Illithids and aboleths is an interesting idea. I suspect that Halruaa's wizards considered that solution at some point, but decided that would be tantamount to asking a weasel to kill the fox in the chicken coop. Assuming illithids and/or aboleths COULD destroy the laraken, you'd still be left with illithids and/or aboleths.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2010 :  07:01:46  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Thanks, Elaine. I figured as much. I browsed some pages of the Netheril boxed set and found out that the ancient Neths actually had only 3 specialization, all of which different from those used by the Halruaans.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Katra
Acolyte

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2010 :  02:05:59  Show Profile  Visit Katra's Homepage Send Katra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mrs. Cunningham I was rereading Windwalker and When Sharlarra helped Fyodor and Lyriel out of the sewers of Undermountain the inn she was at was run by Durham. Was that supposed to be Durnan of the Yawning Portal or is this another entrance to Undermountain with a proprietor of a similar name?

Also thenk you for the enjoyment I have recieved reading your books over the years.
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2010 :  09:50:40  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Katra

Mrs. Cunningham I was rereading Windwalker and When Sharlarra helped Fyodor and Lyriel out of the sewers of Undermountain the inn she was at was run by Durham. Was that supposed to be Durnan of the Yawning Portal or is this another entrance to Undermountain with a proprietor of a similar name?

Also thenk you for the enjoyment I have recieved reading your books over the years.

I thought it was Durnan. At least I'm almost sure it read Durnan in my Polish edition.

Go to Top of Page

Katra
Acolyte

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2010 :  13:48:43  Show Profile  Visit Katra's Homepage Send Katra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I thought it was Durnan. At least I'm almost sure it read Durnan in my Polish edition.

My current copy is a 3rd printing US copy

Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2395 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2010 :  14:21:45  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Katra

quote:

My current copy is a 3rd printing US copy

Yes, it should have been Durnan. Every now and then a typo managed to sneak past me, the editor, the copyeditor, and the proofreader.
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2010 :  16:47:34  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I remembered a discussion in the Polish forum, so I would like to ask here: what is known about the mythal cloaking Evermeet? What would be its properties around 1372 RD?
Your novels indicate there is one, the Elves of Evermeet sourcebook mentions only powerful magic/warding with no details...

Go to Top of Page

Katra
Acolyte

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2010 :  23:33:13  Show Profile  Visit Katra's Homepage Send Katra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yes, it should have been Durnan. Every now and then a typo managed to sneak past me, the editor, the copyeditor, and the proofreader.

Thank you
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2010 :  21:07:41  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a new motto... its ask lots of questions....

I need advice, can you give me advice on how to bring readers closer to my characters???

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2395 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2010 :  22:38:03  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

I need advice, can you give me advice on how to bring readers closer to my characters???

Make sure your characters WANT something. Desire leads to action (or should), which catches the readers' attention. Readers want to know what happens next, and ultimately, whether the characters get what they want (and/or what they deserve.)

When you're planning a story (or RPG campaign, here are some of the most fundamental questions:
  • What does the protagonist want?
  • Why does he want it?
  • Who or what stands in his way?

Notice that all of these have to do with desire/motivation. The antagonist who opposes your protagonist will also want something, and those two sets of goals will come in conflict. At each step of story planning, ask yourself, "What does this character want?" Not in a cheesy, B-actor, "What's my motivation in this scene?" fashion, but on a very fundamental level. What are the characters' values? What's important to them? What are they willing to fight for, and what will they walk away from?

Sometimes the answer to "What does X want?" is readily apparent. The hero wants to schlep a ring to Mordor, or to be a Jedi knight. But what X wants will change, either subtly or drastically, over the course of the story. This not only develops the character, but it also gives you a change to develop, define, or even redefine the desired goal. Sometimes the character's search for that desired end is achieved in a straightforward fashion (boy gets girl), sometimes the goal is revealed to be unworthy, sometimes the characters fail to achieve their goals, sometimes the goal seems to change but in truth the character comes back to a fuller and richer understanding of his initial desires.

For example, at the beginning of ANH, Luke desperately wanted to go to the academy and train to be a pilot. Then he wanted to rescue the princess. Then he wanted to be a Jedi, like his father. Then he was drawn into the rebel cause, which led him to reevaluate the "just like his father" notion. But there's dramatic cohesion here. Luke is undertaking a Hero's Journey, discovering who he is and making the choices that his inherited talents demand of him.

A suggestion: Take several books you enjoy and figure out what the main characters want. What drives them? What are they trying to achieve (or avoid)?

Edited by - ElaineCunningham on 02 Oct 2010 22:41:38
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2010 :  20:01:10  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice. I'm writing a fanfic in Polish, so I'll certainly use that advice.

What about my question about Evermeet and mythal?

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2010 :  20:20:41  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
She muthed have mythed it....

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2395 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2010 :  20:29:07  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote

quote:
What about my question about Evermeet and mythal?

Yep, I mythed that.

To be honest, I really don't recall the particulars. Evermeet's mythal is not what I'd call a minor detail, so you'd think I'd remember.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 37  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000