Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Elaine Cunningham [II]
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 37

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2010 :  18:34:28  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham
Go for it. Wooly, would you mind emailing me a copy, as well? Thanks!

Thank you very much, Mrs. Cunningham!!! (HUGE smile from a very, very happy fan of yours!)
And my thanks in advance to you too, Wooly Rupert!

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2010 :  01:22:11  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Folks, I've sent that doc along to Elaine. Since I'm not 100% certain it was actually from her site, I'm waiting for her to confirm or deny it before I share it with everyone else.

In the meantime, though... Those of you who also want the file, PM me your email address. As soon as I hear back from friend Elaine, I'll get the file emailed out.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2010 :  01:38:24  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Folks, I've sent that doc along to Elaine. Since I'm not 100% certain it was actually from her site, I'm waiting for her to confirm or deny it before I share it with everyone else.

In the meantime, though... Those of you who also want the file, PM me your email address. As soon as I hear back from friend Elaine, I'll get the file emailed out.

Since I know from past experience, how quickly an influx of PM can flood an Inbox during a situation such as this, I'd be willing to assist as well, so fellow scribes should feel free to PM me also. Pending Elaine's confirmation, of course. [Though, from the site architecture that I managed to save from her old site, I do recall that the "Elaith" file was stored there.]

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2010 :  12:16:32  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The file Wooly sent me was indeed the "Elaith page" from a former incarnation of my website. Feel free to post it here and/or share with other Candlekeep members.

Edited by - ElaineCunningham on 27 Jul 2010 12:23:17
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2010 :  05:29:06  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Hi Elaine!

Not sure if this was asked before...

Are there any survivors of Halruaa? If there are, who are they? And where are they now?

I like your C&K trilogy, by the way. And it's really annoying that the SP had to erase Halruaa from the map.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2010 :  12:36:11  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dennis

Hi Elaine!

Not sure if this was asked before...

Are there any survivors of Halruaa? If there are, who are they? And where are they now?

I like your C&K trilogy, by the way. And it's really annoying that the SP had to erase Halruaa from the map.

Hi, dennis. Delighted to hear that you enjoyed C&K.

As for Halruaa, it would appear that some people did survive, but I don't know who they are or where they might have gone. Three (or even four) human generations have passed since the Spellplague, so I imagine any survivors would be thoroughly assimilated into their new situations.

That said, I have wondered what remains of Halruaa. There's a little land left, so it's likely that someone (or something) is still living there. If so, they'd face some interesting challenges. I'd be interested in revisiting the area. It would be a wonderful setting for a ghost story, if nothing else.
Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2010 :  13:41:09  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Five Companies are an organization that survives from Halruaa.
They own the few remaining sky ships and their HQ is on an earthmote called Yaulazna.
They are described in the FRCG, and featured in RPGA adventures CORE2-3 High Infidelity and CORE2-10 Upon the Sea of Stars.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2010 :  14:03:45  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Thanks, Elaine, gomez!

I expected the SP to wipe out certain realms, but not Halruaa. Did Wizards specifically mention why they had/wanted to destroy Halrua (other than that the SP annihilated realms at random)? There are a lot of seemingly insignificant realms (Innarlith, for instance) that could be erased from the map without vexing some realms-readers.

I do not think the destruction of Halruaa has something to do with it being an area of great concentration of magic, which I read in some scrolls is a possible cause. A lot of magic-rich realms survived that RSE, like Thay, Shade, and Cormyr.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2010 :  14:13:22  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mrs. Cunningham, I was reading the old posts and found something about a graphic novel project.
quote:
I'm very pleased to be working on the script with Dale Donovan, a very talented writer and game designer. I am new to the world of graphic novels and lack the time to get up to speed, so working with a collaborator is really the only way to go. Dale wrote the outline, but once we start writing for the individual frames, I'll be more involved in the process.

Was it ever published, or was it cancelled?

Oh, and I just read the Realms of Magic "The direct approach", great story! Vasha the Red surprised me, I must admit! And about that time-travelling device... Couldn't it have survived?

Just remembering a plea from Charles Phipps, of Dan & Arilyn time-traveling, just after you declared you should end up the Songs & Swords series "for a number of reasons, not the least of which is the upcoming edition change and the fact that the timeline will be moved ahead 100 years."

Now, a more serious question. In a post about the lost princes and princesses of Evermeet, I found this entry:
quote:
Shandalar became a bladesinger, trained in the art by bladesinger Shanyrria Alenuath. She was accidentally killed by a fellow student, a spell-singer, during a training drill. It is not certain whether Shanyrria, her mentor, survived. If so, the bladesinger will be eager to avenge the death of this princess, her student and namesake.

SPOILER ALERT (select to highlight):

Wasn't it CLEAR that Shanyrria Alenuath died in Evermeet's defense, in the Island of Elves novel? Or this is an older reference?

Thank you for always answering your fans so kindly!

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)

Edited by - Barastir on 28 Jul 2010 14:41:14
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2010 :  17:48:18  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dennis

I expected the SP to wipe out certain realms, but not Halruaa. Did Wizards specifically mention why they had/wanted to destroy Halrua (other than that the SP annihilated realms at random)? There are a lot of seemingly insignificant realms (Innarlith, for instance) that could be erased from the map without vexing some realms-readers.

I do not think the destruction of Halruaa has something to do with it being an area of great concentration of magic, which I read in some scrolls is a possible cause. A lot of magic-rich realms survived that RSE, like Thay, Shade, and Cormyr.

I don't know the reasoning behind Halruaa's destruction.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2010 :  18:01:29  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Barastir

Mrs. Cunningham, I was reading the old posts and found something about a graphic novel project.
quote:
I'm very pleased to be working on the script with Dale Donovan, a very talented writer and game designer. I am new to the world of graphic novels and lack the time to get up to speed, so working with a collaborator is really the only way to go. Dale wrote the outline, but once we start writing for the individual frames, I'll be more involved in the process.

It was published in December 2008. Dale Donovan dropped out of the project fairly early on, and I wrote the script with a lot of suggestion and feedback from Jim Lowder, the project editor.

This was the last of the "Worlds of Dungeons & Dragons" graphic novels by Devil's Due Publisher. It's a 48 page book and also contains an adaptation of a Dragonlance story by Richard Knack. More books were planned, but DDP ran into difficulties and cancelled the rest of the series.

quote:
Oh, and I just read the Realms of Magic "The direct approach", great story! Vasha the Red surprised me, I must admit! And about that time-travelling device... Couldn't it have survived?

Gods above, I hope not! "Chronomancy" was a feature of the Realms at the time and I had fun playing with the notion, but in general I try to stay away from time travel.

quote:
Now, a more serious question. In a post about the lost princes and princesses of Evermeet, I found this entry:
quote:
Shandalar became a bladesinger, trained in the art by bladesinger Shanyrria Alenuath. She was accidentally killed by a fellow student, a spell-singer, during a training drill. It is not certain whether Shanyrria, her mentor, survived. If so, the bladesinger will be eager to avenge the death of this princess, her student and namesake.

SPOILER ALERT (select to highlight):

Wasn't it CLEAR that Shanyrria Alenuath died in Evermeet's defense, in the Island of Elves novel? Or this is an older reference?

Thank you for always answering your fans so kindly!

Shanyrria certainly expected to die and, given the circumstances in which we last see her, it would be logical to assume that she went down fighting. But since we don't actually SEE her death, I wouldn't be too quick to count her out.
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2010 :  19:42:27  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
It was published in December 2008. Dale Donovan dropped out of the project fairly early on, and I wrote the script with a lot of suggestion and feedback from Jim Lowder, the project editor.

Very good news! Now I have ANOTHER novel in my "must buy" line!
quote:

Gods above, I hope not! "Chronomancy" was a feature of the Realms at the time and I had fun playing with the notion, but in general I try to stay away from time travel.

I was just kidding... Time travel can be really messy, I also like to avoid it as much as I can. It can really ruin storylines...
quote:

Shanyrria certainly expected to die and, given the circumstances in which we last see her, it would be logical to assume that she went down fighting. But since we don't actually SEE her death, I wouldn't be too quick to count her out.

That's good news, Shanyrria is a great character, IMO. And this IS a biased opinion, for I'm a big fan of bladesingers.
By the way, was she young enough to survive the 100 years of the post-Spellplague Realms?

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2010 :  21:38:20  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
That's good news, Shanyrria is a great character, IMO. And this IS a biased opinion, for I'm a big fan of bladesingers. By the way, was she young enough to survive the 100 years of the post-Spellplague Realms?

Yes.
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2010 :  12:18:03  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
That's good news, Shanyrria is a great character, IMO. And this IS a biased opinion, for I'm a big fan of bladesingers. By the way, was she young enough to survive the 100 years of the post-Spellplague Realms?

Yes.

Great news, indeed!

And Mrs. Cunningham, I just ended reading the Tangled Webs excerpt in Realms of Magic, very nice! I'm not a big fan of the drow, but the barbarians are fascinating... So, I think now there is a SERIES I must consider putting in my buying line!

Oh, and I just stumbled into this old post:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by skychrome
Just one more question: is Tzigone a name derivate from Zigeuner (gipsy)? I was just wondering, because it sounds similar and because she is constantly moving from one location to another?

It is, yes. Though the source I used mentioned that it was derived from the Hungarian czigany.

Good catch. :)

Just a curio: in portuguese, "gipsy" is "cigano" (pronounced see-GUN-no).

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)

Edited by - Barastir on 29 Jul 2010 13:29:52
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2010 :  18:49:47  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
quote:

Was it the novel where "The Great Hunt" was published? Is another of your stories there?

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2010 :  19:50:07  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
quote:

"The Great Hunt" is a short story, not a novel. It was originally published in Dragon Magazine and reprinted in The Best of the Realms Book III: The Stories of Elaine Cunningham. It was adapted into a graphic novel--a comic book--a little more than a year ago. Because the publisher, Devil's Due Publications, ran into some difficulties around them, I'm guessing that copies will be difficult to find.
Was it the novel where "The Great Hunt" was published? Is another of your stories there?

Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2010 :  21:12:51  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry, I wanted to say "Was it the GRAPHIC novel..."
And I wanted to know if there were other of your stories in this, or in other graphic novels... Excuse me if I couldn't make it clear!

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2010 :  21:37:40  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Sorry, I wanted to say "Was it the GRAPHIC novel..."
And I wanted to know if there were other of your stories in this, or in other graphic novels... Excuse me if I couldn't make it clear!

No. This was a 48-page book with two stories--one was my "The Great Hunt," the other was a Dragonlance story by Richard Knack. None of my other stories have been adapted to graphic novels.
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2010 :  11:46:27  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
None of my other stories have been adapted to graphic novels.

It's a shame... But Mrs. Cunningham, do you see it as a possibility in the future? Have you enjoyed the experience? Well, if finding them is difficult, so wish me luck! What's the book's title, by the way?

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2010 :  23:40:14  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
None of my other stories have been adapted to graphic novels.

It's a shame... But Mrs. Cunningham, do you see it as a possibility in the future? Have you enjoyed the experience? Well, if finding them is difficult, so wish me luck! What's the book's title, by the way?

I don't know whether or not WotC plans to license any of their stories to a graphic novel publisher, but I CAN tell you that I probably wouldn't get involved in any such project again. For one thing, condensing a 7500-word story to 24 pages of art and dialogue is a LOT more work than you might think. I put a ridiculous amount of time and effort into the project.

The title is The Worlds of Dungeons & Dragons, Issue #7. It was published by November 2008 by Devil's Due. There's no other title. There are two different covers for this issue. One shows Arilyn backed up against a tree, fighting an orc wearing a horned helm. The other is a scene from Richard Knack's story, with two minotaurs wielding tridents. (Or possibly pitchforks.)

Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2010 :  12:59:44  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mein gott, I must be blind. I only discovered that Serpent's daughter was in the works a few minutes ago, and I suffered a fan-gasm that almost made me croak! This is WONDERFUL news!!!

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2010 :  06:41:05  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I don't know whether or not WotC plans to license any of their stories to a graphic novel publisher, but I CAN tell you that I probably wouldn't get involved in any such project again. For one thing, condensing a 7500-word story to 24 pages of art and dialogue is a LOT more work than you might think. I put a ridiculous amount of time and effort into the project.

I had some idea about how hard was this, specially when you're condensing a previous work. Imagine condensing entire books... That's why I asked if you saw this perspective as possible in the future.

About the graphic novel's name, thank you. That's exactly what I wanted to know: what should I look for!

Besides, Mrs. Cunningham, one question occurred me when I read the last of your posts in the old thread: do you plan to answer some of the question left unanswered in the Swords & Songs series in The Serpent's Daughter?

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2010 :  15:21:09  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by khorne

Mein gott, I must be blind. I only discovered that Serpent's daughter was in the works a few minutes ago, and I suffered a fan-gasm that almost made me croak! This is WONDERFUL news!!!

Thanks! I'm pretty happy about it, too.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2010 :  15:26:36  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
....do you plan to answer some of the question left unanswered in the Swords & Songs series in The Serpent's Daughter?

Some questions will be answered, but the focus of the story is on Azariah rather than the fate of familiar characters.

Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2010 :  12:47:32  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Some questions will be answered, but the focus of the story is on Azariah rather than the fate of familiar characters.

Thank you, Mrs. Cunningham.
Actually, I was thinking of answers that were beyond the fate of the characters. I just love Arilyn and Danilo, but since I know it's Azariah's novel, I was asking for the other loose ends... Like, for example, moonblades...

Oh, and I finished compiling the info about the blades, uniting them all in a document, but I couldn't read and organize it this far. I've been quite busy, those days!

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)

Edited by - Barastir on 12 Aug 2010 15:07:40
Go to Top of Page

Foxhelm
Senior Scribe

Canada
592 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2010 :  18:02:30  Show Profile Send Foxhelm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm just curious...

Have any of your characters learned of what Khelban has done with Rhymanthin, Hidden City of Hope (Mainly involved would be Elaith, Danilo, Arilyn and Bran)? What were their reaction and have any of the other then Elaith (who alignment would prevent entering) have been into the city since it's founding?

Ed Greenwood! The Solution... and Cause of all the Realms Problems!
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2010 :  19:02:31  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Foxhelm

I'm just curious...

Have any of your characters learned of what Khelban has done with Rhymanthin, Hidden City of Hope (Mainly involved would be Elaith, Danilo, Arilyn and Bran)? What were their reaction and have any of the other then Elaith (who alignment would prevent entering) have been into the city since its founding?

In all candor, I've never given any thought to this. But I don't see that they'd have any pressing reason to go there.
Go to Top of Page

Foxhelm
Senior Scribe

Canada
592 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2010 :  16:53:13  Show Profile Send Foxhelm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I'm just curious...

Have any of your characters learned of what Khelban has done with Rhymanthin, Hidden City of Hope (Mainly involved would be Elaith, Danilo, Arilyn and Bran)? What were their reaction and have any of the other then Elaith (who alignment would prevent entering) have been into the city since its founding?

In all candor, I've never given any thought to this. But I don't see that they'd have any pressing reason to go there.

I was also curious of their reaction of Khelban and his death as well as what it was for. They would likely be able in time to find out about the death (Well, Danilo and Elaith might, given either closeness or knowledge of Khelban).

Just some questioning thoughts...

Ed Greenwood! The Solution... and Cause of all the Realms Problems!
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2010 :  17:02:32  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

I was also curious of their reaction of Khelban and his death as well as what it was for. They would likely be able in time to find out about the death (Well, Danilo and Elaith might, given either closeness or knowledge of Khelban.

If asked, Danilo will toe the company line--noble sacrifice, greater good, yadda yadda--but in private he is exceedingly pissed off. Arilyn and Elaith are much less effected personally by Khelben's death than Dan is, but the circumstances surrounding it touch them rather closely. They did not know (until much later) about a dormant moonblade being melted down as a spell ingredient. If they did, they would have been exceedingly pissed off. They're both deeply traditional where moonblades are concerned.
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2010 :  21:05:36  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know this is a stupid question, but what book was that in? I'm a bit behind on FR novels, I'm afraid. Aside from one or two authors, I have almost stopped reading after the Spellplague stuff. And even a little before that, to a degree. I guess I'm just not happy about the direction a lot of stories have taken because of it. I'd definitely read any more that you might put out, though! (Loved Evermeet, BTW!!)

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 37 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000