Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Elaine Cunningham [II]
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 27

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2000 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2012 :  14:44:40  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage Send ElaineCunningham a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Barastir
Have you any thoughts, impressions or expectations you can share with us about it?

Keep in mind that I'm a free-lance writer, and not privy to the inner workings of WotC. I don't know enough about 5th edition to have an opinion. But I'm pleased by a couple of broad-strokes directions, such as including different eras.

Star Wars novels and game products follow a multi-era timeline without causing fan confusion. I think WotC could accomplish this, as well, and I'll be interested to see how and to what extent they embrace FR history.

As for the rule changes, I have no major worries. I came into the Realms during the change to second edition. I've seen 2nd ed, 3E, 3.5, and 4th edition come and go. Each change had pros and cons, and people who work with shared worlds need to be adaptable. I don't suppose 5th edition will throw anything at me that I can't field.

Edited by - ElaineCunningham on 04 Feb 2012 17:07:07
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1237 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2012 :  22:43:28  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elaine, what do you think about this?

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2000 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2012 :  01:26:09  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage Send ElaineCunningham a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

Elaine, what do you think about this?

Amnestria's guard was supposed to be guarding her, not sparring with her. Elaith was captain of King Zaor's guard, and he wouldn't look kindly at any member of the royal guard breaking protocol.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2000 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2012 :  01:27:52  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage Send ElaineCunningham a Private Message  Reply with Quote
New Sevrin lore post up! I didn't post much of anything in the month of January. This one give a bit of background on Minue, a dryad that's mentioned in Chapter 2 of HONOR BOUND.

http://www.elainecunningham.com/2012/02/04/sevrin-lore-the-dryad-minue/

Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1048 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2012 :  02:39:56  Show Profile  Click to see Barastir's MSN Messenger address Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham
(...) But I'm pleased by a couple of broad-strokes directions, such as including different eras.(...)

That's something noteworthy. So this new policy would make it possible taking some old projects back in line?

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2000 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2012 :  03:02:18  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage Send ElaineCunningham a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Barastir

quote:
(...) But I'm pleased by a couple of broad-strokes directions, such as including different eras.(...)

That's something noteworthy. So this new policy would make it possible taking some old projects back in line?

I have no idea WHAT this will mean. All I know is that WotC is trying to come up with a rule system that will address fans of all editions, and I've heard that they want this rule system to be adaptable to playing in any era. But since I've been staying away from the discusssion and speculation, even that much might not be an accurate representation.
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2120 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2012 :  09:37:45  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lol. I believe that Barastir is still hoping (amongst many of us here) that Reclamation will eventually still happen.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated September 2, 2014)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2000 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2012 :  12:50:37  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage Send ElaineCunningham a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hawkins

Lol. I believe that Barastir is still hoping (amongst many of us here) that Reclamation will eventually still happen.

Believe me, I appreciate the sentiment, but a) I'm focusing on other things and b) I understand the perils and pitfalls of internet speculation.
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1048 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2012 :  09:43:53  Show Profile  Click to see Barastir's MSN Messenger address Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hawkins

I was just wondering about the possibilities, but yes, I'd like to see this, and the fate of Amnestria's and Elaith's son published. But my question was exactly answered by Mrs. Cunningham. It's really early to say something, but I thought that maybe she could have some sort of privileged info she could share with us.

EDIT: Anyway, Mrs. Cunningham, note that I asked about what WOULD be possible, and Hawkins said that it could EVENTUALLY happen. No worries about it, and there's no haste involved, there's only hope about a - maybe distant, but brighter - future.

And Hawkins, I was TRYING to be subtle... And trying to avoid the aforementioned speculation!

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)

Edited by - Barastir on 09 Feb 2012 12:08:14
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Senior Scribe

Canada
554 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2012 :  14:01:25  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Elaine,

I'm going to start reading your wonderful novels based on so many recommendations. Are there any plans to make an omnibus collection of your early works? I know you recently said that eBook versions were coming out, but I'm a paperbook kind of person.

Many kind regards!
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2000 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2012 :  18:56:46  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage Send ElaineCunningham a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seravin

Hi Elaine,

I'm going to start reading your wonderful novels based on so many recommendations. Are there any plans to make an omnibus collection of your early works? I know you recently said that eBook versions were coming out, but I'm a paperbook kind of person.

Many kind regards!

Hi, Sevarin.

I'm not aware of plans for omnibus editions. If something develops, though, I'll post the news here. :)
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2000 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2012 :  17:50:45  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage Send ElaineCunningham a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Crossing the Streams contest is over, and the winners have been announced. Though I haven't run many contests in the past, this one convinced me to make it a regular part of my website. I enjoyed reading your responses and comments, and I hope you'll stop by my website from time to time to see if the current contest catches your interest.

If you've been reading my Tales of Sevrin books, or think you might like to, follow this link to the Contests page of my website for details.

http://www.elainecunningham.com/contests/

Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2097 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2012 :  23:04:19  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Been meaning to show off this for a while - thought you might enjoy seeing it. (And don't worry, I don't keep the books next to the window unless I'm photographing them.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2000 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2012 :  23:40:17  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage Send ElaineCunningham a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

Been meaning to show off this for a while - thought you might enjoy seeing it. (And don't worry, I don't keep the books next to the window unless I'm photographing them.

:)
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1237 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2012 :  02:52:53  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Any update on the TSD, Elaine?

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2097 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2012 :  15:21:01  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's no question to ask a lady, Fellfire! And quite insulting to her husband to boot.

spoiler: Yeah, couldn't resist. Sorry Elaine.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2000 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2012 :  16:51:53  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage Send ElaineCunningham a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

That's no question to ask a lady, Fellfire! And quite insulting to her husband to boot.

I think you're thinking of an STD, Kajehase. But I'm mildly dyslexic, so what do I know?
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2000 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2012 :  17:07:49  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage Send ElaineCunningham a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

Any update on the TSD, Elaine?

Nothing new, Fellfire.
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1237 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2012 :  17:22:55  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh dear. Thanks, Elaine.

Misanthorpe

Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2097 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2012 :  18:36:26  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I think you're thinking of an STD, Kajehase. But I'm mildly dyslexic, so what do I know?

It wouldn't be a very good parody of looking-for-any-reason-to-act-insulted internet behaviour if it'd been the right abbreviation, would it?

Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2000 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2012 :  19:22:37  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage Send ElaineCunningham a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

It wouldn't be a very good parody of looking-for-any-reason-to-act-insulted internet behaviour if it'd been the right abbreviation, would it?

True.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2000 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2012 :  20:03:53  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage Send ElaineCunningham a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In case anyone might be wondering what sort of stories I write OUTSIDE of the Realms, here's a twelve-part answer:

http://www.elainecunningham.com/2012/04/12/just-keep-weaving/

The link leads to a post on my author website about JUST KEEP WEAVING, a collection of twelve short stories. These range widely in tone and topic, including urban fantasy, ghost stories, historical fantasy, Arthurian legends retold, flash fiction, and tales inspired by myth and legends. You'll find elves here, but the linchetto of Tuscan folklore are nothing at all like Toril's elves. The pirates are more historical than hearty, the witches include a medieval strega and a suburban kitchen witch.

The collection is available as an ebook. Links to Kindle, Nook, and Smashwords are included on the link above. For people who prefer print to digital, I hope to have a print version available in May.

I'd love to hear your thoughts, and I hope you enjoy the stories.

Best,
ec

Edited by - ElaineCunningham on 17 Apr 2012 20:17:50
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2000 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2012 :  16:12:31  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage Send ElaineCunningham a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A new Sevrin lore post is up on my website. This is setting information of the sort gamers will recognize as "fluff." It also hints at events in the upcoming Tales of Sevrin novel WORD OF HONOR, the third book of the Thorn Trilogy.

http://www.elainecunningham.com/2012/04/21/the-captains-keep/
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1048 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2012 :  11:43:33  Show Profile  Click to see Barastir's MSN Messenger address Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice lore, Mrs. Cunningham! Although I'm not following Sevrin lore regularly, the detail of those pieces always enchant me.

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1148 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2012 :  19:16:38  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wanted to say I finally got my hands on "Dark Journey" in a local library. The chapters from the Yuuzhan Vong and Chiss and Hapan perspective were excellent!

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 27 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2014 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000