Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Elaine Cunningham [II]
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 37

Snowblood
Senior Scribe

Australia
388 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2011 :  17:14:20  Show Profile Send Snowblood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
thanks any way...I thought this would be the case...but it never hurts to ask....have a nice day...

Aryvandaar, Ilythiir, Arnothoi, Orva, Sarphil, Anauria/Asram/Hlondath, Uvaeren, Braceldaur, Ilodhar, Lisenaar, Imaskar, Miyeritar, Orishaar, Shantel Othrieir, Keltormir, Eaerlann, Ammarindar, Siluvanede, Sharrven, Illefarn, Ardeep, Rystal Wood, Evereska are all available here for download:http://phasai.deviantart.com/gallery/
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2011 :  14:02:14  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The folks at Paizo are releasing the serial novellas from Pathfinder Journal feature in the Adventure Paths as ebook. "Dark Tapestry" is a 25K word novella about half-elf druid Channa Ti, set in a fantasy version of Egypt. I like Channa and think folks who've enjoyed my Forgotten Realms books might also like this story.

http://paizo.com/store/byCompany/p/paizoPublishingLLC/pathfinder/tales/v5748btpy8k9m
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2011 :  20:01:40  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Honor Among Thieves, the first in a series of short "e-riginal" novels, will be going online next week. The prologue (which is also the prologue to The Book of Vishni's Exile, a collection of tales one of the characters writes throughout the series) is online now at www.elainecunningham.com.

The website is being completely rebuild as a WordPress blog. But instead of the usual author blog, this will offer daily bits of lore, fiction, maps, and character art--fluff articles, in other words.

Starting in June, I'll be following this schedule:

M: Honor Among Thieves excerpt
T: Lore and legends
W: People and places
Th: Treasures and technology
F: Book of Vishni's Exile (Short fiction)

Each weekend I'll post an update on the usual author stuff: info about new releases, work in progress, conventions appearances, cover art, and so on.

Hope you enjoy Sevrin! Please stop by and return often. :)

Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2011 :  12:30:18  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice, Mrs. Cunningham! I'll add it to my favorites tonight, at home.

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2011 :  15:25:54  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Barastir

Nice, Mrs. Cunningham! I'll add it to my favorites tonight, at home.

Great! Hope you enjoy the story and setting.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2011 :  16:07:58  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

Each weekend I'll post an update on the usual author stuff: info about new releases, work in progress, conventions appearances, cover art, and so on.

Nice Job.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 26 May 2011 16:10:03
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2011 :  16:19:17  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tales from THE BOOK OF VISHNI'S EXILE will begin next week. In the meanwhile, I'm kicking off Friday Fairy Tales with a story I wrote a few years back. "The Princess and the Psotnik" is inspired by the "trickster" tales of Slavic folklore and is rooted in Polisy myth and history.

The story is online now at www.elainecunningham.com. Hope you'll stop by, read the tale, leave a comment. :)
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2011 :  12:32:52  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
HONOR AMONG THIEVES update!

Chapter 1: Honor Bound, is now online.

http://www.elainecunningham.com./
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2011 :  12:37:41  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I liked "The Princess and the Psotnik" very much, thank you! I don't know very much about Polish myth, think I'm gonna do some research!

And now, I'll read "Honor bound"...

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2011 :  13:03:22  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

I liked "The Princess and the Psotnik" very much, thank you! I don't know very much about Polish myth, think I'm gonna do some research!

Thanks! Polish mythology isn't very well known in the US. I would love to expand this story into a novel illustrated with wychinanki, the traditional paper-cutting folk art of Poland.
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2011 :  13:44:48  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It would be great! And Polish mythology is not very known here in Brazil. Maybe it is known in our colonies in Brazilian southern states, but not very much outside them. Well, some years ago I knew a Polish sir that worked in the Poland Embassy, but we never had the chance of talking about mythology.

And I read "Honor bound", very good!

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2011 :  14:13:33  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Thanks! Polish mythology isn't very well known in the US. I would love to expand this story into a novel illustrated with wychinanki, the traditional paper-cutting folk art of Poland.

I thought that was an interesting aspect of Winter Witch...

I liked "The Princess and the Psotnik" as well, and I'm working on "Dark Tapestry" (I discovered an app I already had on my phone would read it). I'll read "Honor Bound" some time later today; I'm stuck at work on what promises to be a very slow day.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2011 :  20:03:02  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Well, some years ago I knew a Polish sir that worked in the Poland Embassy, but we never had the chance of talking about mythology.

Talking with our common friend, I just found out that he actually was a polish descendant that worked for the American Embassy. I think his father was polish.

Good to know that Winter Witch is mythology-inspired. One more reason for it to be in my wish list.

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2011 :  20:14:05  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Good to know that Winter Witch is mythology-inspired. One more reason for it to be in my wish list.

I can't speak on the inspiration of the book, but there were some mentions of the paper-cutting art in there. It wasn't something I was familiar with, so I found it interesting. I had no idea this was something real-world based.

Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2011 :  12:07:39  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert I can't speak on the inspiration of the book, but there were some mentions of the paper-cutting art in there. It wasn't something I was familiar with, so I found it interesting. I had no idea this was something real-world based.

Ah, OK. Anyway, I'm sure Winter Witch deserves to be in my wish list.

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2011 :  13:38:32  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

I can't speak on the inspiration of the book, but there were some mentions of the paper-cutting art in there. It wasn't something I was familiar with, so I found it interesting. I had no idea this was something real-world based.

The paper-cutting in Winter Witch is a cross between wychinanki and another Polish folk art--scenic plates. A minor family heirloom is a plate my grandmother brought back from Poland. It depicts a mountain village, and although the plate is only an inch or two thick, the scene portrays considerable depth and distance. Wychinaki is created with layers of colored paper, but the effect is two dimensional. What Declan's mother created is halfway between these two craft forms. Her winter scenes were done mostly in white paper, but with many layers cut in slightly graduated degrees to give depth to the scene.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2011 :  13:47:14  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Barastir, in all candor WINTER WITCH really doesn't have a myth-based flavor. Mentions of Baba Yaga are the only solid connection to slavic folklore. In the Pathfinder setting, Baba Yaga is treated in much the same way as the web com "The Order of the Stick" uses Thor: a diety that's referred to in passing. There is little similarity between the Pathfinder version of Baba Yaga and the Baba Yaga of Slavic folklore.

Mind you, I'm not trying to convince you to avoid the book. On the other hand, nothing good comes of people approaching a book with expectations that will not be met.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2011 :  16:01:47  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
After writing about Forgotten Realms elves for the past 20 years, I'm creating my own variety. For a prelude, check out today's Legends & Lore post on www.elainecunningham.com. :)
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2011 :  17:53:59  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Barastir, in all candor WINTER WITCH really doesn't have a myth-based flavor. (...) Mind you, I'm not trying to convince you to avoid the book. On the other hand, nothing good comes of people approaching a book with expectations that will not be met.

Don't worry, Mrs. Cunningham, when I said it is in my wish list anyway, it was because I understood that the reference was not to Polish mythology (but to paper-cutting), and because I like your writing anyway. The mistake was already undone with Wooly's answer.

About your own elves, thay are really nice. Funny that some friends used to say that elves fed on light as a joke, in my games! And I particularly liked your idea of the tatoos/"paints", very interesting!

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)

Edited by - Barastir on 31 May 2011 17:56:43
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2011 :  18:48:51  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yay! Honor Among Thieves is now availabe at the Kindle store!

http://www.amazon.com/Honor-Among-Thieves-Sevrin-ebook/dp/B0054TQJYI/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&m=AG56TWVU5XWC2&s=digital-text&qid=1307554226&sr=1-5

You don't need a Kindle to read it, however, thanks to all the free conversion apps Kindle offers. I've just been speaking via facebook IM with a reader in Germany who downloaded it to his iPad.

Which reminds me: Honor is also available through Amazon.UK and Amazon.de.

I hope you enjoy Honor's tale. If you do, please consider posting a review on Amazon.com, or on your blogs or websites. Better yet, recommend the book to a friend.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2011 :  19:39:05  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've downloaded it to my iPhone, via Stanza.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2011 :  01:40:49  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Better yet, recommend the book to a friend.
I did that already. I was caught reading Honor at work, and one of my co-workers -- who was already familiar with your Realms novels -- piqued a degree of interest in learning more about Sevrin. So I directed her to your website and the details about the purchasable version of the book.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2011 :  10:37:12  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

Better yet, recommend the book to a friend.
I did that already. I was caught reading Honor at work, and one of my co-workers -- who was already familiar with your Realms novels -- piqued a degree of interest in learning more about Sevrin. So I directed her to your website and the details about the purchasable version of the book.

Thanks, Sage!

Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2011 :  15:50:18  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Chapter 3 is online. :)

www.elainecunningham.com
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2011 :  18:28:27  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Chapter 4 is online.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2011 :  17:59:13  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Elaine,

Not sure if you remember this old Thayan bounty hunter, but I've always liked your work in the realms. I've also liked the fact that you've delved into an area that I myself have always been intrigued by but never really knew how to approach. Specifically, I'm talking about good "stories" about Slavic folklore. To clarify, as a kid I enjoyed the stories of the Norse that I could find, but it wasn't until I was in my 30's that I actually found some really good, simple, enjoyable books that detailed the myths without being clinical dissections of the beliefs that would put you to sleep. For instance, I've never really read any really good Finnish mythology, but I'm familiar with the mythos from the old Deities and Demigods. I find the ideas I've seen of Slavic folklore to have a little darker nature to them, which I think I'd enjoy. Anyway, to cut things short, are there any books you might recommend? Oh, and I like this idea you're doing of developing a new shared world on your website.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2011 :  23:36:31  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
SLeyvas: No English translations of the Kalevala?

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2011 :  14:13:17  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sleyvas! Long time no . . .hear from. :)

To be honest, Scandinavian mythology is not my specialty. I've spent far more time on Celtic and Slavic myths.

I haven't read the Kalevala, Kajehase. But out of curiosity, I did a quick search and ended up ordering a copy from Amazon.com. This is actually terrific timing. For book 3 of the Tales of Sevrin, Honor and her little band of frenemies will be heading to the mainland. Since the mainland is analagous in latitude and ethnic makeup to Scandinavia, a better understanding of the folklore is in order.

Here's the link:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/cart/view-upsell.html?ie=UTF8&storeID=books&nodeID=283155&HUCT=1&newItems=U2GA9UY6UY3JDO%2C1
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2011 :  14:13:52  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Chapter 5, scene 1 is online.

www.elainecunningham.com
Go to Top of Page

Saer Cormaeril
Learned Scribe

124 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2011 :  00:50:17  Show Profile Send Saer Cormaeril a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elaine, what is 'the song of the lorelei'?

Brace Cormaeril
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 37 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000