Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Shieldmeet Council
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2010 :  23:20:17  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hello fellow scribes

I wish to know more about what happens in Waterdeep during Shieldmeet. As I understand it, the hidden lord's rule is reaffirmed publicly (well, for 16 of the 20 lords). How is it done? Where? Is it a joyous day for citizens? I can see many groups attempting a coup to wipe the whole group in one blow (tough very unlikely to succeed).

How does this work? The open lord presents 16 masked lords and basicaly says "don't worry, we're still rolling" ?

Thank you

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2010 :  00:52:51  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kilvan

Hello fellow scribes

I wish to know more about what happens in Waterdeep during Shieldmeet. As I understand it, the hidden lord's rule is reaffirmed publicly (well, for 16 of the 20 lords). How is it done? Where? Is it a joyous day for citizens? I can see many groups attempting a coup to wipe the whole group in one blow (tough very unlikely to succeed).

How does this work? The open lord presents 16 masked lords and basicaly says "don't worry, we're still rolling" ?

Thank you

We saw part of this in Elfsong.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2010 :  01:04:29  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
1e/2e/3e FRCS are the *main* sources.

There's the odd other detail here and there in various other tomes.

However, Ed gave us this detailing in July of last year -

"SHIELDMEET: Celebrated as it is everywhere in the Realms, this special day is devoted to open council between rulers and ruled, which really means: commoners can sit down and speak frankly with monarchs (who are typically protected against attack with ironguard, and various protective magics that mitigate the effects of missiles, particular sorts of spells, and so on) without being overheard by courtiers and without fear of reprisal. Commoners can communicate complaints, warnings, answer royal questions, pass on gossip, and so on; most rulers consider it the most valuable and informative day of their year, and often arrange to meet again soon with particular informants.
For rulers, guild members, merchants, masters and apprentices, and others engaged in renting or in transacting business, it’s a day of renewing agreements (often reviewed or drawn up earlier, during Clearsight).

It’s also a day of many contests, trials-of-arms, duels, contests-of-spells, and full-blown tournaments of horse-and-lance, with attendant wagering. These events are rarely undertaken in anger or to settle scores or legal disputes (though they can be, if Taern or Alustriel agree and the proceedings are overseen by Spellguard members), but serve as popular entertainment, with local merchants and wealthy notables sponsoring prizes for victorious contestants. Taking part in such trials has also become a very good way for adventurers and hedge-wizards seeking employment to attract the notice of potential patrons.
Silvaeren temples and visiting priests provide free healing magics and care to injured contestants, and the day ends with a “last revel” of theatrical performances and bardic and minstrel performances in various inns, taverns, clubs, and guild headquarters, at which mead and other sweetened wines are sipped and honey-cakes and other pastries and candies are consumed. (Because it’s “back to the everyday trudge and drudge on the morrow.”) Wise celebrants take to bed early and sober; foolish ones sing and carouse late into the night, and take surly hangovers to the shop the next day."

I hope that helps .

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Brace Cormaeril
Learned Scribe

294 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2010 :  16:51:35  Show Profile  Visit Brace Cormaeril's Homepage Send Brace Cormaeril a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

1e/2e/3e FRCS are the *main* sources.

There's the odd other detail here and there in various other tomes.

However, Ed gave us this detailing in July of last year -

"SHIELDMEET: Celebrated as it is everywhere in the Realms, this special day is devoted to open council between rulers and ruled, which really means: commoners can sit down and speak frankly with monarchs (who are typically protected against attack with ironguard, and various protective magics that mitigate the effects of missiles, particular sorts of spells, and so on) without being overheard by courtiers and without fear of reprisal. Commoners can communicate complaints, warnings, answer royal questions, pass on gossip, and so on; most rulers consider it the most valuable and informative day of their year, and often arrange to meet again soon with particular informants.
For rulers, guild members, merchants, masters and apprentices, and others engaged in renting or in transacting business, it’s a day of renewing agreements (often reviewed or drawn up earlier, during Clearsight).

It’s also a day of many contests, trials-of-arms, duels, contests-of-spells, and full-blown tournaments of horse-and-lance, with attendant wagering. These events are rarely undertaken in anger or to settle scores or legal disputes (though they can be, if Taern or Alustriel agree and the proceedings are overseen by Spellguard members), but serve as popular entertainment, with local merchants and wealthy notables sponsoring prizes for victorious contestants. Taking part in such trials has also become a very good way for adventurers and hedge-wizards seeking employment to attract the notice of potential patrons.
Silvaeren temples and visiting priests provide free healing magics and care to injured contestants, and the day ends with a “last revel” of theatrical performances and bardic and minstrel performances in various inns, taverns, clubs, and guild headquarters, at which mead and other sweetened wines are sipped and honey-cakes and other pastries and candies are consumed. (Because it’s “back to the everyday trudge and drudge on the morrow.”) Wise celebrants take to bed early and sober; foolish ones sing and carouse late into the night, and take surly hangovers to the shop the next day."

I hope that helps .

I wonder how Shieldmeet is commemerated in other regions?

The Silver Fire's Blade: A Novella in Nine Parts, Available Soon, in the Adventuring Forum!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2010 :  16:56:12  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Much of that is still NDA, Brace: it's written and accepted by Wizards, but not (yet) published, so Ed can't share it elsewhere.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000