Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Map sections
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10

Cleric Generic
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
565 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2010 :  00:30:17  Show Profile  Visit Cleric Generic's Homepage Send Cleric Generic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yup, this is seriously Herculean stuff right here...

quick note: on the Moonsea map, between 'Elventree' and 'The Elven Court' there seems to be an unlabelled three-dot site.

EDIT: I hereby nominate HandsomeRob for the position of Faerunian deity of Maps and Cartography. All in favour, say 'aye'.

Cedric! The Cleric Generic and Master of Disguise!

ALL HAIL LORD KARSUS!!!

Vast Realmslore Archive: Get in here and download everything! http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/archfr/rl

2e Realms book PDFs; grab em! - http://poleandrope.blogspot.com/2010/07/working-around-purge.html

Edited by - Cleric Generic on 24 Apr 2010 00:34:30
Go to Top of Page

rjfras
Learned Scribe

261 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2010 :  01:06:02  Show Profile  Visit rjfras's Homepage Send rjfras a Private Message  Reply with Quote
can we get links to the larger scale files too? I liked how they opened up bigger, it was easier to read the names
Go to Top of Page

dragonfriend
Seeker

Italy
65 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2010 :  00:18:37  Show Profile  Visit dragonfriend's Homepage Send dragonfriend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All the maps are wonderful! i love them, n amazing work! I can't wait to see all of the world! rashemen, Great Glacier, shou Lung!
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2010 :  04:01:11  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mmm... Halruaa, Chult, Aglarond, Cormyr, and the Moonsea... ...any chance of a sneak peek at Thay?

This is first-rate work... and from your original post, the complete map will be zoomable and (hopefully) one file, as massive as that might be...

One other question, regarding map locations: Were you able to find accurate location data for all of the true mythal cities? I'm curious because one or two of the mythal cities of old Keltormir never had detailed locations published in canon as far as I'm aware, and then there's Myth Adofaer in the High Forest...

Edit: List from Eric L. Boyd on REALMS-L:
Myth Drannor (detailed in Cormanthyr: Empire of Elves and Ruins of Myth Drannor)
Myth Nantar (mentioned in Ruins of Myth Drannor and detailed in Sea of Fallen Stars and (partially) in the Wyrmskull Throne)
Myth Lharast (mentioned in Ruins of Myth Drannor, briefly described in Lands of Intrigue: Amn and Faiths & Avatars (Selune write-up))
Myth Glaurach (mentioned in Ruins of Myth Drannor)
Myth Dyraalis (Keltormir; discussed in Lands of Intrigue: Tethyr)
Myth Rhynn (Keltormir; discussed in Lands of Intrigue: Tethyr)
Myth Unnohyr (Keltormir; discussed in Lands of Intrigue: Tethyr)
Myth Ondath (mentioned in Volo's Guide to All Things Magical and Cormanthyr: Empire of Elves)
Myth Iiscar, a flying city which has fallen onto the isle of Lantan. (discussed in Cormanthyr)
Myth Adofaer, last city of Siluvanede in the High Forest, placed, along with its inhabitants, into stasis and removed from Faerun until certain conditions are met to restore it and its people to the Realms. (discussed in Cormanthyr)

I'll check through the above-cited sources again and see if I can puzzle out more precise locations for you.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.

Edited by - Jakk on 25 Apr 2010 04:46:06
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2010 :  05:03:30  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Myth Glaurach had a pretty good write-up back in the days of Mintiper's Chapbook.

Part 5: Myth Glaurach

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2010 :  05:46:19  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's a few tidbits about Myth Ondath in Ruins of Myth Drannor also. 'Twas actually were it first saw print.

And Myth Adofhaer has a further small amount of information in Lost Empires of Faerûn, but nothing at all about this city, its inhabitants or any other details.

Oh and, we've got these bits from Sage Schend also:-
quote:
"Myth Adofhaer...sheesh. I had to go back and reread what I wrote.... Forgot quite a bit about Siluvanede and its mythal city....

Actually, it's taking me more than an hour to even scare up references and files to this site and/or details on Siluvanede. I'll have to look at reorganizing files so I can find things easier.

Off the top of my head, it's the last Siluvanedden city, its mythal sets it into a side-dimension/pocket dimension (but not that of Shade), and it will be chock full of gold elves exclusively. Now, are they those who didn't agree with the corrupt leadership, leaving with lots of lore in hopes for the future? Are they those who left after "the Sixth Crown War" in hopes of revenge later vs. Sharrven? What exactly did they do to the mythal that blipped them out of phase with the Realms and why haven't they been found? I always considered it a time-shift, and they've sent themselves along to the future but won't rematerialize until it's safe. Conditions for its return really depend on who pulled the city out of reality, dunnit?"
quote:
"Honestly, using my old notes on elvish, "ado" is peace/peaceful and "faer" is magic; thus Myth Adofaer (no h in there I was aware of, unless my notes are wrong) is "the place of peaceful magics."

Alternately, there could have been some elven disinformation campaigns going on all across the centuries...

What if the city's name was actually Myth Adofhaor? "Fhaor" is the concept of magical death/change/alteration (but not of an evil nature), so the city could have been some crucible of change seen as a good thing by the Siluvanedden.

Innit great how one or two letters can totally change one's perceptions of an idea? Just another direction y'all can take this in your campaigns, if you so choose...."
quote:
"Well, if Myth Adofaer/Adofhaor truly time-shifted with its mythal, that's one possible outcome, in having the orc horde invade the city and have them pull themselves out of time again, not feeling too safe.

Another option, which I don't think is used often enough, is this: Gates permeate the High Forest (as well as all of Faerun); who say's they all transport people across space? What if they simply tunnel short-cuts through time, throwing people days or weeks or centuries ahead rather than miles? I love the idea of an orc horde and Ellarthion's Crusade rumbling out of the High Forest next Mirtul...

Steven"

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2010 :  09:32:23  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A thought on Sage Schend's musings regarding Myth Adofaer/Adofhaor (which I've had in my e-lore collection for some time now)... what if it started out as Myth Adofaer, but became Myth Adofhaor when it went into temporal stasis? Still, I'd like to have a more precise physical location for it before it shifted... as far as when it's returning, I have my own ideas, keyed to the fey'ri...

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2010 :  15:46:27  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jakk

A thought on Sage Schend's musings regarding Myth Adofaer/Adofhaor (which I've had in my e-lore collection for some time now)... what if it started out as Myth Adofaer, but became Myth Adofhaor when it went into temporal stasis? Still, I'd like to have a more precise physical location for it before it shifted... as far as when it's returning, I have my own ideas, keyed to the fey'ri...

That's an interesting interpretation.

One of the possible ideas behind the name change that I've introduced in my own Realms suggests that, simply, the latter "Adofhaor" demonstrates the evolution of the elven language while the city was held in time-stasis. Because, as I see it, "fhaor" could conceivably find it's linguistic roots in the earlier "faer" -- with both having similar definitions. "Faer," relating to magic is still, ultimately, about the process of change and alteration... to a degree. So, therefore, the slight tweaking of the term "faer" to "fhaor" illustrates how the elven language, through the centuries [while Adofaer/Adofhaor was held in stasis], might have evolved -- to the point where "fhaor" not only now relates to magical change... but other types of change and alteration as well. Like death, as Steven noted above.

And it's entirely more applicable anyway, since the city has "changed" from its pre-stasis times, and has undergone a type of "death" only to be reborn in a later time. A period of alteration "but not of an evil nature" as Steven said in those quoted portions above.

Go to Top of Page

Darkmeer
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2010 :  05:48:45  Show Profile  Visit Darkmeer's Homepage Send Darkmeer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HandsomeRob

Some new sections I've been asked for:

Chult: http://img263.yfrog.com/img263/4629/chult.jpg
Halruaa: http://img72.yfrog.com/img72/5642/halruaa.jpg
The Moonsea: http://img709.yfrog.com/img709/4163/moonsea.jpg
Wa and Kozakura: http://img444.yfrog.com/img444/8571/wakozakura.jpg

Two other maps I was asked for (Shou Lung, Maztica) are a bit too large for me to give you in just one file, so if you have more specific smaller regions you'd like to see please let me know.

I realized that I have been linking to files that are much larger than they need to be. So from now on, the maps I'll link here will be at half the scale of the previous maps. Everything is still readable at the new scale and the files are much smaller.

Thanks, and if you have more requests I won't be able to give you new maps until sometime next week, but I will try hard to get you what you need.

-Rob

Umm... Rob...

I bow before you and your awesome mapmaking skills! OMG those are awesome.

I'd really like a whole map of Shou Lung into the Hordelands so I can edge everything up together on my own computer. I have to say that I love your maps!

(Disclaimer: I also love MarkusTay's maps, as well).

/d

"These people are my family, not just friends, and if you want to get to them you gotta go through ME."
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2010 :  07:41:55  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Will Big Al be hosting these beauties?

Also Rob do you have a Map of the Vilhon Reach?

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2010 :  09:47:38  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

I'm sure we can find some space in the Map Room.

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2010 :  10:12:57  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

I'm sure we can find some space in the Map Room.

Great!

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Marquant Volker
Learned Scribe

Greece
273 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2010 :  10:45:01  Show Profile Send Marquant Volker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for sharing!
Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2010 :  22:57:17  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was just looking over the Northwest map, and saw that Myth Glarauch was missing. A friend of mine that occasionaly comes around the site let me know when we were planning a foray into the Silver Marches and pointed it out to me. I hope you don't mind my mentioning it, sir. And again, you do an incredible job on the maps!

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2010 :  16:33:35  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, this seems to be a great place to ask a question that I've been wondering for some time. I'm thinking about having my players get plane shifted to Faerie (which I guess is the Feywild in 4E, right?) but I haven't seen any maps of that area at all. Do any exist, and if so, would someone mind providing a link to it here, please? I've searched all over Google for one, but nothing's come up thus far. I run a 3.5E campaign, but will gladly take a 4E map if there is one. And if it could point out where Tintageer was, that would be great also. Thank you!

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

Cleric Generic
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
565 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2010 :  16:42:51  Show Profile  Visit Cleric Generic's Homepage Send Cleric Generic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
yup, Feywild is just the new/variant name for Faerie. the 4e FRCG suggests that that the two worlds are broadly geographically similar, but not all major landmarks are necessarily the same.

What I'd do is look at the maps of ancient Faerun from GHotR and Lost Empires as a good starting point.

Other than that, I don't know of anything official.

ALL HAIL LORD KARSUS!!!

Vast Realmslore Archive: Get in here and download everything! http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/archfr/rl

2e Realms book PDFs; grab em! - http://poleandrope.blogspot.com/2010/07/working-around-purge.html
Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2010 :  16:52:59  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cleric Generic

yup, Feywild is just the new/variant name for Faerie. the 4e FRCG suggests that that the two worlds are broadly geographically similar, but not all major landmarks are necessarily the same.

What I'd do is look at the maps of ancient Faerun from GHotR and Lost Empires as a good starting point.

Other than that, I don't know of anything official.

Ah, thank you, my friend. I didn't realize that they were simply using Faerun as a basis. I think I can come up with something, but if ever they decide to give a map of Faerie, I hope I'm able to find it. One last question then, if I may. Was a map ever done of the star elves demiplane realm?

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

Cleric Generic
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
565 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2010 :  17:02:10  Show Profile  Visit Cleric Generic's Homepage Send Cleric Generic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not that I've ever seen. In 4e it's become part of the Feywild and is, I think, the Aglarond analogue there.

EDIT: also, google Fractal Terrain Demo. It's a really handy and simple utility for randomly generating vaguely realistic looking landscapes and such. You could just poke that until it makes a cool shape and start working from there.

ALL HAIL LORD KARSUS!!!

Edited by - Cleric Generic on 29 Apr 2010 17:04:22
Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2010 :  17:10:09  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, very interesting! Thank you very much, Cleric! And I didn't realize that that particular area had also been taken into the Feywild, but then I'm not one that keeps up on 4E. I do have to say though that I hope the nilshai were finally stopped from burrowing in to their domain. I have an adventure set aside that's still being prepared in my mind where the PCs go and lend their aid to stop them from messing with Sildeyuir. Again, my thanks!

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

Cleric Generic
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
565 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2010 :  17:27:55  Show Profile  Visit Cleric Generic's Homepage Send Cleric Generic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Nilshai aren't mentioned specifically in reference to Sildeyuir, but the FRCG does mention that there are bits left over from the demi-plane's transition to the Feywild that are inhabited by 'strange monsters'...

ALL HAIL LORD KARSUS!!!

Go to Top of Page

Sian
Senior Scribe

Denmark
596 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2010 :  19:46:04  Show Profile  Visit Sian's Homepage Send Sian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
could i please request a cut of Damara/Vassa region?

what happened to the queen? she's much more hysterical than usual
She's a women, it happens once a month
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2010 :  19:47:44  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I'm tempted to make use of the Tabot map. Really, I am.

MarkusTay would love it.

Yes I would

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2010 :  19:49:16  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

quote:

quote:

I'm tempted to make use of the Tabot map. Really, I am.

MarkusTay would love it.

Yes I would

Good.

Now start posting again!

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

HandsomeRob
Seeker

68 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2010 :  17:01:33  Show Profile  Visit HandsomeRob's Homepage Send HandsomeRob a Private Message  Reply with Quote
More requests:
Great Glacier: http://img404.yfrog.com/img404/9042/pelvuria.jpg
Hordelands (big): http://img688.yfrog.com/img688/3459/hordelands.jpg
Rashemen: http://img91.yfrog.com/img91/1394/rashemen.jpg
Shou Lung (big): http://img695.yfrog.com/img695/8204/shoulung.jpg
Thay: http://img208.yfrog.com/img208/3584/thay.jpg
Vaasa and Damara: http://img153.yfrog.com/img153/2919/vaasadamara.jpg
Vilhon Reach: http://img87.yfrog.com/img87/3034/vilhonreach.jpg

That new Vaasa map that was posted elsewhere is amazing. I'll have to incorporate it into a later version.

If there are any more request, let me know and I'll try to get them for you. Thanks!

-Rob

Visit Sorol today: http://sorol.wikispaces.com
Go to Top of Page

Cleric Generic
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
565 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2010 :  17:20:22  Show Profile  Visit Cleric Generic's Homepage Send Cleric Generic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
booyeah...

ALL HAIL LORD KARSUS!!!

Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2010 :  17:49:41  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Perhaps you could do one of the Sword Coast?

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

Asharak
Learned Scribe

France
268 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2010 :  19:38:26  Show Profile Send Asharak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

If there are any more request, let me know and I'll try to get them for you. Thanks!

-Rob

Moonshae?

"Soyez réalistes : demandez l'impossible"

Sorry for my English... it's not my native tongue.
Go to Top of Page

dragonfriend
Seeker

Italy
65 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2010 :  21:33:00  Show Profile  Visit dragonfriend's Homepage Send dragonfriend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
sword coast/western heartlands please
Go to Top of Page

HandsomeRob
Seeker

68 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2010 :  22:03:40  Show Profile  Visit HandsomeRob's Homepage Send HandsomeRob a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dragonfriend

Does this one work for you?
http://img710.yfrog.com/img710/5359/northwest.jpg

I'll post some more maps tomorrow, probably.
-Rob

Visit Sorol today: http://sorol.wikispaces.com
Go to Top of Page

dragonfriend
Seeker

Italy
65 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2010 :  22:25:41  Show Profile  Visit dragonfriend's Homepage Send dragonfriend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by dragonfriend

Does this one work for you?
http://img710.yfrog.com/img710/5359/northwest.jpg

I'll post some more maps tomorrow, probably.
-Rob

Ehm,wonderful, like all your maps. i'll like to print them postersize.
But, I ment the lands between river Delmbyr and Amn. with Baldur's gate, Beregost, Iraebor, Candlekeep.

It's a request, if you can, tomorrow or the day after or the the after tomorrow.

Thanks Rob
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000