Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Faithful of Bahamut?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Afetbinttuzani
Senior Scribe

Canada
434 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2010 :  02:25:51  Show Profile  Visit Afetbinttuzani's Homepage Send Afetbinttuzani a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi, all.

Does anyone know of any FR novels or supplements that deal with the practices, religious or knightly orders, temples, etc. of those who are faithful to Bahamut? I would like to be able to read and reccomend something to one our players.

Thanks,

Afet bint Tuzaní

"As the good Archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself."
- Danilo Thann in Elfsong by Elaine Cunningham

wintermute27
Learned Scribe

USA
179 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2010 :  04:28:28  Show Profile  Visit wintermute27's Homepage Send wintermute27 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had a player in a game once make a Dragon Shaman that venerated Bahamut, but there isn't much about Bahamut's worshipers in recent Realms source books. There is a small entry in the 2nd ed books Draconomicon (FOR1, pg. 57-58) and Cult of the Dragon (TSR 9547, pg. 120). While not a Forgotten Realms specific source, the 3rd edition book Races of the Dragon has a pretty good writeup of the church of Bahamut on pages 151-152.

I found it wasn't very difficult to transplant the church from Races of the Dragon into the realms. In Dragons of Faerun (pg. 9), it says that non-dragon worship of Bahamut had a resurgence in 1359, so I used a toned down version of the church centered around Damara, Impiltur, and the Sea of Fallen Stars with only a few temples in the larger trade cities.

My Current Campaign: The Adventures of the Stonelanders
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2010 :  04:53:47  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's some brief details in On Hallowed Ground and Warriors of Heaven as well. Though not really all that much on the clergy and their specific rituals and the like. That's hardly received any real attention in D&D lore [well, aside from the stuff for Paladine in DRAGONLANCE, which could -- in parts -- be adapted for Bahamut worshippers in the Realms, I suppose].

Monster Mythology has a little also.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Ayunken-vanzan
Senior Scribe

Germany
657 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2010 :  09:23:04  Show Profile  Visit Ayunken-vanzan's Homepage Send Ayunken-vanzan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is a PrC in the Book of Exalted Deeds, the "Vassal of Bahamut", which also details tenets of the justicebringer's faith. Of course, more information on the Lord of the Northwind are found in the Manual of the Planes.

"What mattered our lives now? When our world had been torn from us? Folk wept, or drank, or stood staring out over the land, wondering what new horror each dawn would bring."
Elender Stormfall of Suzail

"Anyone can kill deities, cause plagues, or destroy organizations. It takes real skill to make them live on."
Varl

FR/D&D-Links 2ed Downloads
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2010 :  09:42:05  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And if I remember correctly, wasn't King Gared Dragonsbane from Damara involved in some sort of adventure that involved Bahamut? I remember that was in some blurb when I read Road to the Patriarch
Go to Top of Page

Ayunken-vanzan
Senior Scribe

Germany
657 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2010 :  15:35:33  Show Profile  Visit Ayunken-vanzan's Homepage Send Ayunken-vanzan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

And if I remember correctly, wasn't King Gared Dragonsbane from Damara involved in some sort of adventure that involved Bahamut? I remember that was in some blurb when I read Road to the Patriarch

You are right, by the help of the Justicebringer he was able to slay Orcus. Returning to Damara he brought with him the tree-gem, the visible sign of the Lord of the Northwind's promise to protect Damara as long as the people stay on the way of righteousness.

"What mattered our lives now? When our world had been torn from us? Folk wept, or drank, or stood staring out over the land, wondering what new horror each dawn would bring."
Elender Stormfall of Suzail

"Anyone can kill deities, cause plagues, or destroy organizations. It takes real skill to make them live on."
Varl

FR/D&D-Links 2ed Downloads
Go to Top of Page

IngoDjan
Learned Scribe

Brazil
146 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2010 :  16:21:48  Show Profile  Visit IngoDjan's Homepage Send IngoDjan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bahamut is Torm of the Dragons.

Ingo Djan
DUNGEON MASTER AO OF THE DIAMONDS!
"I see the future repeat the past. It all is a museum of great news. The Time do not stop."
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2010 :  02:04:10  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayunken-vanzan

quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

You are right, by the help of the Justicebringer he was able to slay Orcus. Returning to Damara he brought with him the tree-gem, the visible sign of the Lord of the Northwind's promise to protect Damara as long as the people stay on the way of righteousness.

Was that in a module to play through or a novel? I never found any info on it and that'd be a story I'd really like to read.
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2010 :  02:40:05  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
its a module.
into the bloodstonelands I think.....
SAge would know for sure though....

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234

Edited by - sfdragon on 25 Jan 2010 02:46:46
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2010 :  03:08:31  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
'Twas the "Bloodstone" quartet. See here for info on the adventure modules:- http://candlekeep.com/bookshelf/products.htm#Adventures

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 25 Jan 2010 03:10:23
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2010 :  07:23:54  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

'Twas the "Bloodstone" quartet. See here for info on the adventure modules:- http://candlekeep.com/bookshelf/products.htm#Adventures

Thanks for the answer. Too bad it wasn't done in novel form . Ahh well.
Go to Top of Page

glitter
Acolyte

France
45 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2010 :  10:44:33  Show Profile Send glitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayunken-vanzan
You are right, by the help of the Justicebringer he was able to slay Orcus.

In fact, he manage to steal the wand of Orcus, then killed an avatar of Tiamat to destroy that artefact.
Orcus is fine, he's pleased you ask
http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Gareth_Dragonsbane

A bit more about the question about Bahamut with an old post from Mr Thomas Costa
http://oracle.wizards.com/scripts/wa.exe?A2=ind0204c&L=realms-l&D=1&F=&S=&P=7613

-The black knight is invincible!
- You’re a looney.
Go to Top of Page

coach
Senior Scribe

USA
479 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2010 :  18:59:15  Show Profile Send coach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bahamut's Tree Gem protects the Bloodstone Lands from Demons

as long as the tree lives, demons cannot enter the land

Bloodstone Lands Sage
Go to Top of Page

Afetbinttuzani
Senior Scribe

Canada
434 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2010 :  02:19:58  Show Profile  Visit Afetbinttuzani's Homepage Send Afetbinttuzani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello, all.

Sorry for not chiming in sooner. I've been sort of out of the loop for a few days. A huge thanks to all of you for all of your helpful suggestions and information. I can always count on someone here knowing where to find the lore I need.
Cheers,

Afet bint Tuzaní

"As the good Archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself."
- Danilo Thann in Elfsong by Elaine Cunningham
Go to Top of Page

coach
Senior Scribe

USA
479 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2010 :  03:46:34  Show Profile Send coach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
more random FR canon tidbits

The Talons of Justice serve Bahamut (Metallic Dragon Knights) (DoF)
Grandmaster Kane prays to Bahamut (Road of the Patriarch)

3. Bahamut (PaP p133) (FR9 p6,37) (H4 p30,53,80-81) (DoF p8-10) (RotP p26)
a. Directed and teleported a group of Damaran heroes to Tiamat’s Lair (PaP p133) (H4 p80-81) (DoF p9)
b. The mortals, led by Gareth, destroyed Tiamat’s avatar (PaP p133) (DoF p9)
c. Told adventurers of the artifact called the Tree-Gem that was created from the destruction of the Wand of Orcus – once planted at Gareth’s coronation, it grew into a beautiful white tree which forever banishes Orcus and other abyssal creatures from the Bloodstone Lands as long as the country and its rulers align with the cause of good (FR9 p6,37) (H4 p81,82) (DoF p9) (RotP p25-26)
d. Power has grown to the rank of Lesser deity as the planting of the Tree-gem in Damara renewed interest among nondragon races in his teachings (DoF p9)
e. Church of Tiamat and the Church of Bahamut followers race to seek out impact points of lightning strikes and gather eggs (DoF p10)
f. Church of Bahamut rituals – Call of Bahamut, Rite of Rebirth (DoF p9)
g. Becoming Platinum Knights or Vassals of Bahamut (DoF p9)

Bahamut's Quest (Module H4)

xv. White Tree [gift from the deity Bahamut to Gareth] – located in the Grand Garden on the shore of Lake Midai (RotP p25-26) 30 feet tall, branches used by Gareth and friends to make items of power from its magical wood (RotP p26) ward against creatures from the Abyss being able to walk on the land of the Bloodstone Lands (RotP p25)

Bloodstone Lands Sage
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000