Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2010)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 87

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2009 :  16:07:37  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Delete Topic
Well met

This being a continued collection of scrolls of any questions the Scribes and visitors of Candlekeep wish to put to a master who needs no introduction, namely - Ed Greenwood, creator of the Forgotten Realms.

Ed's works include MANY FR sourcebooks and numerous novels, such as Cormyr: A Novel, Spellfire, Silverfall, The Shadows of the Avatar Trilogy and The Elminster Series, to name but a few.

Present your questions herein and check back to see what news may also come forth from the quill of this author.

For previous entries of the many, many writings of lore by Ed, please see the 2009 entries in this collection of scrolls, the 2008 entries here, the 2007 entries here, the 2006 entries here, the 2005 entries here, and the 2004 entries here. 'ware, these run into over 80 pages, ye may be reading for some time. For a concise read of Ed's replies, visit the "So Saith Ed" page on the Candlekeep site.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 31 Dec 2010 16:16:11

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3281 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2009 :  22:04:06  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message
Happy New Years, scribes.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2009 :  22:48:26  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message
happy new year scribes..

and a question, what went through Elminster's mind when he approached the gates of Myth Drannor before the city fell, and after it was reclaimed?
assuming he ever went back after it was reclaimed

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234

Edited by - sfdragon on 01 Jan 2010 02:20:43
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2009 :  23:13:50  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Erm, which time?
(Which time he approached the gates, I mean. The very first time, as described in Ed's ELMINSTER IN MYTH DRANNOR novel?)
BB
Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2009 :  23:14:35  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message
Happy New Year's to all of the people here at Candlekeep, especially Mr. Greenwood and the great Lady THO.

I actually also have a qestion, if I may. Are there any special traditions that exist in Cormyr or for the elves in greeting a new year? Thank you, and all of my best on your projects for this year!

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2010 :  00:26:38  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message
Sf Dragon:

WTH am I doing here? I hope my death at the hands of the elves is quick and
painless. Why do I have sudden craving for nothing but vegetables, fruits, and fru-fru
wines? And the most important one:

How in the world can I concentrate on what I'm doing with a thousand dead elf
minds talking to me at once?
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2010 :  02:19:44  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Blueblade

Erm, which time?
(Which time he approached the gates, I mean. The very first time, as described in Ed's ELMINSTER IN MYTH DRANNOR novel?)
BB

the last time before the fall, and the first time after it was reclaimed.

assuming he went back after it was reclaimed....

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2010 :  06:58:17  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
Well the last time before the Fall he was probably thinking something like "What the hell is that idiot Nameless Chosen doing, charging straight into the Army of Darkness? Now I'll have to go rescue him...", seeing as he was in the middle of the Battle of Silversgate.
But that is a good question. Did Elminster return to Myth Drannor after the reclamation? Did the Knights of Myth Drannor try to get there again? Did Elminster get to meet the Srinshee again?
Edit: This reminds me of a question I've wanted to ask: What became of the Libraries of Uvaeren, with the death of their keeper, Ualair the Silent while raising Rhymanthiin, the Hidden City of Hope in 1374 DR?

"Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?
Behold, he put no trust in his servants; and his angels he charged with folly.
How much less them that dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation in the dust, are crushed before the moth?" - Eliphaz the Temanite, Job IV, 17-19.

"Yea, though he live a thousand years twice, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?" - Ecclesiastes VI, 6.

"There are no stupid questions – just a bunch of inquisitive idiots."

"Let's not call it 'hijacking'. Let's call it 'Thread Drift'."

Edited by - Menelvagor on 01 Jan 2010 07:23:15
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2010 :  15:20:27  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Menelvagor
Edit: This reminds me of a question I've wanted to ask: What became of the Libraries of Uvaeren, with the death of their keeper, Ualair the Silent while raising Rhymanthiin, the Hidden City of Hope in 1374 DR?

Well, I can answer that one; remember that Ualair was partnered with someone in the Fall of Myth Drannor and the novel Blackstaff, so it stands to reason that such a person might know and be the new keeper of said lore. And given his fate in the novel, I suspect he's still the hale and hearty librarian within Rhymanthiin (at least as far as I've heard, seen, or assumed).

Yeah, I had to get up and check my works to find the name that was escaping me: Rhymallos the gnome (disguised as a mezzoloth during the Fall of Myth Drannor and restored to health and gnomekind with Rhymanthiin).

Of course, official WotC lore can and may supercede this, but `twas my intent that said lore was to be contained in the City of Hope.

Steven

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com

Edited by - Steven Schend on 01 Jan 2010 15:43:22
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3281 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2010 :  20:37:37  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message
Sounds great to me.

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2010 :  13:42:28  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
Happy New Year (and a Good "Jul" as well, since I don't think I said so at the time) Ed and the Hooded One. May the new year involve plenty of fun, merriment, and generally good things for you both.

Now, to business
I have a question about Orlumbor for Ed (several actually, but I left my notes at home, so...) Are the wharves there owned mostly locally, or are there outside business interests (Amnians, Waterdhavian nobles, Calishite pashas and their guilds, Baldur's Gate merchants, and so on) involved in raking in the profits?

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Aysen
Learned Scribe

115 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2010 :  00:48:35  Show Profile  Visit Aysen's Homepage Send Aysen a Private Message
Happy New Year Ed, LHO, and fellow scribes!

I have a question about a scene from Ed's "Cloak of Shadows" novel. While Mr. Schend is the authority on Blackstaff Tower and Khelben, this scene occurred in Ed's book and involved Laeral and a couple of the apprentices.

In the scene, Laeral was overseeing the apprentices' attempts to stabilize a cage of "ricocheting forcebolts" whose collisions seemed to repel a growing field of wild magic. Just when things were getting interesting, they were rudely interrupted by a few Malaugrym , so we never get to see the outcome. It's nice to see a moment of master-apprentice interaction in Blackstaff Tower, notwithstanding Mr. Schend's Blackstaff which was one rather extreme example, heh.

Ed, my question is did Laeral and her apprentices ever pick up where they left off, and was there any lasting success to the experiment? What was the premise of using chaotic forcebolts to repel wild magic?
Go to Top of Page

maransreth
Learned Scribe

Australia
157 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2010 :  08:56:12  Show Profile Send maransreth a Private Message
Howdy All, happy new years and all.

Between Christmas and New Year's I had to move all my RPG books due to renovations. I took the time to flip through a few of my sourcebooks and a question occurred to me:

Ed a number of the 2e FR sourcebooks have you listed as the author (Duhh!, but I am going somewhere with this). A fair number of these FR sourcebooks contain new monsters, spells, and especially magic items.

Now to my question: Did you write up magic items for each sourcebook as required? Or do you have reams of lore (monsters, spells, magic items, etc) and go "Hmmm, that item would fit best in this book"?
Or did TSR go we will put these items in this sourcebook, and those items in that sourcebook?

Basically who had the say for what material went into a sourcebook, how did you determine what to put in and what to leave out, and was the lore sitting waiting or did you write it fresh as required?
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2010 :  17:06:06  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. I bring you the words of Ed, newly emerged from the annual visit of his family over Christmas and New Year's:

Hello to all scribes. Thank you for your holiday wishes, and I return them: may everyone have a happy, prosperous, and delight-filled 2010, in the real world and in all of our explorations of the Realms!
Herewith, some answers to the queries of 2010 (don't worry, I haven't at all forgotten the huge backlog of questions from 2004 up through 2009, and will be working away at answering them ALL, as I can, in the days and months ahead):

Kajehase, Orlumbor's docks and warehouses are almost all locally owned, but many outside interests (including all of those you list!) rent warehouse space and try to buy influence over local trading companies and "dockers" (what we in the real world tend to call "longshoremen," to whit, the local loaders and unloaders who work the docks - - in the Realms, such work is almost always done WITH the crews of the ships). Amnians in particular have tried to buy control of the local traders of Orlumbor, or failing that become their creditors and try to dominate so much of their cash flow and other business as to be able to dictate to them - - but of course these attempts haven't gone unnoticed, and are countered by OTHER Amnians, and other trade interests entirely, including several Waterdhavian noble families who have long had merchant interests in Orlumbor.

Aysen, Laeral and her apprentices did resume experimentations along the lines of creating dynamic "forcecages" of moving bolts to contain and drain wild magic, the bolts drinking magical energy and disrupting magical effects when they "struck," so as to both diminish local amounts of wild magic and shatter specific wild magic effects. The technique works, in theory, but the problem is one of competence: without several veteran Chosen or other REAL experts in magic (accomplished multitaskers like Larloch, Szass Tam, or Manshoon, for instance) overseeing and directing the forcebolt casting, the cage never forms for long enough to do anything more than "steer" the wild magic in one direction or another, before spectacularly collapsing. So it could be used to, for example, shove an oncoming wild magic field away from a fortress or settlement...but that's about where the success would end, and it tends to be very costly in terms of lives of spellcasters. Making them understandably reluctant to attempt it. All of which meant the experiments haven't been duplicated or taken up by anyone else since, in any determined or ongoing manner.

maransreth, I DID (and do, though they're 2e, and so now all need rewriting for publication) have reams and reams of lore, and FR4 was one huge "dump" of a lot of it, to make up a ready-made product, but I have never had the sort of editorial influence to decide what does and does not go into a product, either when working with TSR or with WotC. I've always been a freelancer, and have always worked with editors who decide what goes in, and what gets cut. Usually I write reams and reams of stuff, and it gets selectively pruned and shaped in-house into a much smaller finished product, sometimes with all the extra tossed into a later product (like FR5/THE SAVAGE FRONTIER, which incorporated a lot of stuff written for FR1/WATERDEEP AND THE NORTH).
The editor usually asked me to write (or rewrite, from my existing unpublished lore) specific magic items, monsters, and so forth to fit a specific product; the various VOLO'S GUIDES are the products where I tended to have the most leeway to just include what I wanted, so long as I covered certain beasts and magic that "had to be there" to support the existing published canon.
So everything you read in a 2e product was written OR rewritten specifically for that product, its inclusion and sometimes the final prose you read decided on and done by an editor, but most often chosen from the huge buffet/smorgasboard of gleaming magic item goodies I was handing the editors when the project was first thought of, AND generating for that specific project, too.
Somehow it feels like cheating (to me), to just pick up and stuff into a product stuff I have lying around; I feel I SHOULD write new magic specifically for each project - - but at the same time, my view is that I'm describing an existing world I just happened to discover, and if there are lost Netherese scepters in the Border Kingdoms or in a cellar in Highmoon, I should include them in a product that covers said Kingdoms or that dale.

So saith Ed. Getting off on the right foot with some timely replies to lore-queries to begin 2010. He tells me he's really enjoying the Realms writing he's doing right now, folks, so we all have some fun to look forward to!
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
716 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2010 :  17:55:24  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message
Dear THO,

This has possibly been asked before, and if you have already answered it in more depth than just a name, say so and I shall search for it myself. However, having started Shandril’s Saga for the very first time this past festive season, I would like to know which of the Knights you played/still play in Ed’s home campaign?

You may also tell Ed that my wife (who is a staunch non-Realms reader and knows almost nothing about the Realms) enjoyed Spellfire as thoroughly as I am still doing (she reads faster and annexed it when I was only about 100 pages in). I am definitely trying my best to get my hands on the other two books at her urging (I would have anyway, just not by the proverbial ‘yesterday’). Are all the ones with the Jon Sullivan covers the expanded versions? Regardless, and although it makes me sad for all that is now ‘officially’ lost to us since the Spellplague, it’s one the best five Realms books I’ve read (and I’m not even finished reading it)!

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36775 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2010 :  18:40:08  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kyrene

Dear THO,

This has possibly been asked before, and if you have already answered it in more depth than just a name, say so and I shall search for it myself. However, having started Shandril’s Saga for the very first time this past festive season, I would like to know which of the Knights you played/still play in Ed’s home campaign?

The lovely Lady Hooded One has kept any identifying information about herself a closely-guarded secret. So we don't know the names of any of her characters, and we know very little about what she does when she's not providing us with titillation and lore.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2010 :  23:40:59  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Kyrene

Dear THO,

The lovely Lady Hooded One has kept any identifying information about herself a closely-guarded secret. So we don't know the names of any of her characters, and we know very little about what she does when she's not providing us with titillation and lore.

More specifically:- The Lady Hooded One has told us, previously, that she is actually one of Ed’s players who participates in his campaigns as one of the Knights of Myth Drannor. But the Lady Hooded One has kindly asked that we do not question her as to which Knight she plays, and thus, won't say anything more on the issue.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2010 :  00:46:03  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
. . . And I'm afraid, Kyrene, that for professional reasons I must continue to decline to identify my character, because the players associated with the Knights have all in the past been identified in print, which would identify me, which would get me in trouble with my employer.
So, I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to remain mysterious.
As for Shandril's Saga, well, it's like this: SPELLFIRE was substantially rewritten by Ed - - and then shortened, not by Ed, so there aren't really any "expanded" editions in existence (yes, despite what the cover claims). So the second version of Spellfire is more like a "director's cut" done by Ed, which was then rewritten by someone at the studio, if you see what I mean.
CROWN OF FIRE isn't, so far as I know, one word different in its core body text from the original "Tequila Sunrise" Fred Fields Harpers series mass market paperback to the later Sullivan trade and mass market editions . . . and there was no earlier version of HAND OF FIRE.
So, purchase away! The ending of the saga was dictated to Ed by the publisher, and a LOT had to be left out of all of the books (the original draft of SPELLFIRE was two-thirds longer than its first, longer edition), but they're still darned entertaining yarns. Most of Ed's later books are better written, but few of them are more fun to read. IMHO, of course.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2010 :  00:49:03  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
And we LIKE you mysterious. Not to mention saucy.
BB
Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
716 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2010 :  06:51:28  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

. . . And I'm afraid, Kyrene, that for professional reasons I must continue to decline to identify my character, because the players associated with the Knights have all in the past been identified in print, which would identify me, which would get me in trouble with my employer.
*slaps forehead hard enough to knock self off chair*
Of course. I forgot all about your day job THO! Please accept my apologies for a momentary brain fart. Of the Knights I've come to know through Spellfire, I would strangely enough picture you as Torm, and that therefore will be answer enough for me.
quote:
So, purchase away! The ending of the saga was dictated to Ed by the publisher, and a LOT had to be left out of all of the books (the original draft of SPELLFIRE was two-thirds longer than its first, longer edition), but they're still darned entertaining yarns.
Yup. And knowing something about most of the characters in Spellfire, I still didn't feel as if I missed out on anything important due to what had landed on the cutting room floor. Except maybe the fate of the Company of the Bright Spear (if it is not explained in a part of the Saga I have yet to read).
quote:
Most of Ed's later books are better written, but few of them are more fun to read. IMHO, of course.
I must confess, I have had an on and off relationship with Ed's books (I think the word "ambivalent" would describe it best), but Spellfire has really made me think again about reading more of his work. I think it's the human-ness (like needing a jakes or sleep or heroes getting killed) that sets his and writers like Paul S. Kemp apart (and possibly why their Realms fiction is so hugely popular). Anyway, back to the regular Questions for Ed...

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms
Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2010 :  10:45:35  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message
Here is an agricultural Realms question, which may have been answered before, not sure.
For a story idea someone wishes to use what he referred to as a 'grange' meeting in Deepingdale. I don't know if grange is an actual word... though there is an organization called that way. The meeting is partly an agricultural gathering where trading takes place and ideas are exchanged - probably combined with a fair - and partly a meeting where landholders discuss the defenses of their holdings and the distribution of their private militia (for what little they have - Highmoon's militia are not involved here).
My question is: how would such an event be called in the Realms, is there a known event that is held in the area of Deepingdale (alternately: Mistledale), and if so, where would it be held?
The current hook places it near the Deeping Stream, out of the way from Highmoon, though I can have that changed.

Gomez
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2010 :  19:26:21  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
gomez, a "grange" in English is a country-house WITH a harm; in other words, a mansion in the country that's part of a working farm. A "grange meeting" could therefore be any meeting hosted at a grange, but you're quite right; that wouldn't be the Realms term for the sort of meeting you describe.
So of course, I consulted Ed, and here's his reply:

There are lots of such meetings held annually in the Dales, the Sword Coast North, and the Heartlands, down through Tethyr in the west and the Vilhon in the east (the farming-relevant "special days" of the calendar, such as Greengrass), and others are faith-based (Chauntean priests holding fairs around religious observances), but additional, secular ones would be "tradesmoots" or "marketmoots" if NOT dominated by agriculture, and a "ploughmoot" if agriculturally dominated, because agricultural fairs are always dominated by plowing competitions (and trick-riding exhibitions, tilting at suspended-ring targets, etc.) as well as having a large trade-fair and many public and private business meetings. The sort of gathering you describe would indeed be a ploughmoot, and Deeping Stream (spilling over into the "fallow fields" of adjacent farms, to gain the necessary space; the farmers are always compensated by a share of takings) would be a fine place to hold one.

So saith Ed. Plow away!
(Er, so to speak. )
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2010 :  19:30:18  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Well said, Kyrene - - and I hope you'll check out ELMINSTER MUST DIE! when it appears (August of this year), because Ed's having loads of fun writing it.
I don't mind at all being asked who I am, and I'll even go so far as to say that I don't play Torm (but I'll stop right there, to avoid scribes unearthing who I am by eliminating character after character). Victor Selby portrays the acidic-tongued, outrageous thief, and always has done.
And as for the Company of the Bright Spear, I'll pass that on to Ed to see if we can all get a Realmslore reply out of it.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2010 :  20:15:08  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

So saith Ed. Plow away!

Thanks Tho, Ed. It'll look like we'll have a ploughmoot!
(And you are always welcome to join in for any plowing to be done.)

Gomez
Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2010 :  14:36:49  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message
I think this fell through the cracks:
((Hmmm. Speaking of which: Ed is well aware of the unfinished four sample Cormyrean noble families, Thunderstone lore, and all the other queries, from 2004 through until today, he still needs to get around to answering.
However, he's interested in knowing what topics of Realmslore (specific things, not "all about Cormyr" or "everything that happened from the end of Grand History to the start date of the 4e guide") scribes would most like to see covered, somewhere and somehow, in 2010. Ed's Eye on the Realms column in D&D Insider (Dungeon Magazine) is written in advance for almost an entire year's-worth, and he can't put Realmslore into Kobold Quarterly or other non-Wizards sources (except here and tangentially at loremaster), but he CAN steer writing he is doing to touch on, give hints about, and somewhat address some things, if he knows you're burning to know more about something specific (regulation War Wizards undergarments, for example ).
So, right here and right now, let us know, okay?
love,
THO))

Well let’s see…
For Corymr: Goblins in the Goblin Marshes, who was the last person that made an attempt to become the Baron(ness)of the Stonelands, and current trade routes for the kingdom.
For the Dalelands: Any new crops from Abeir being planted in the region. (I blame gomez for this one)
Realms in general: Another Volo article detailing “sayings in the Realms”, portals in the Realms, the continent of Returned Abeir getting a real name, a discussion on accents in the Realms, and pronunciations in parenthesis so I no longer butcher names. “What do you mean it isn’t ‘SHAWN-tee’?”

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO

Edited by - Bakra on 05 Jan 2010 14:38:10
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2010 :  18:50:06  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
Well, it's time to begin my questions on my re-read of the Knights of Myth Drannor. Currently, I've got only two topics:
Vangerdahast tells Tanalasta that it would be against the law to resurrect any noble, including the Obarskyrs, if one died. Not only that, but whoever was resurrected couldn't rule, and it may bring a curse onto the land. Yet in Cormyr: a Novel, it's hinted quite obviously that there are ways to resurrect the Obarskyrs, and that Vangey wouldn't hesitate to use them. Also, Jorunhast apparently tries to resurrect Dhalmass, and mentions having done it before. How is this explained? Also, was Vangey telling the truth regarding the curse? And was there ever a noble of Cormyr who was resurrected? If yes, what happened to him?
Lastly, it seems as if all the nobles of Cormyr are hostile to the Obarskyrs, and if not to them, then to Vangey. Even Spurbright, who seems a decent sort, gives the impression of being against Vangey. How did Cormyr manage to continue onward? Obviously, Azoun's influence was a large part of this: when he's gone in Death of the Dragon, all the nobles are very recaltraint. But is it more?

"Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?
Behold, he put no trust in his servants; and his angels he charged with folly.
How much less them that dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation in the dust, are crushed before the moth?" - Eliphaz the Temanite, Job IV, 17-19.

"Yea, though he live a thousand years twice, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?" - Ecclesiastes VI, 6.

"There are no stupid questions – just a bunch of inquisitive idiots."

"Let's not call it 'hijacking'. Let's call it 'Thread Drift'."

Edited by - Menelvagor on 05 Jan 2010 21:03:11
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2010 :  19:42:26  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Ooooh, GREAT questions, Menelvagor! Can't wait for the replies to these!!!
BB
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2010 :  03:55:46  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message
I dont know if it was asked, But I'd like to know, how did the spell plague affect Larlochs plans?

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2010 :  04:35:44  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message
So, as part of a long-running campaign, I'm sending my hapless PCs into an area containing a Weave anchor point: What sort of effect does an area like this have on magics cast within it? Those brought into it?
My default position is to allow each arcane spell cast within the 'node' to be modified by various metamagic effects with no change in spell level, but with the risk of an 'overload' to the caster (i.e., make a caster level check to handle the energy of the spell, or take backlash damage).
Has Ed ever run any adventures in an anchor point, or place of similar magical power? I know we'd all love to hear about it...

How can life be so bountiful, providing such sublime rewards for mediocrity? -Umberto Ecco
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2010 :  17:27:58  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
sf dragon, i'm afraid I have bad news regarding your Larloch query: "I don't know if it was asked, But I'd like to know, how did the spell plague affect Larlochs plans?"
Here's something relevant from a recent e-mail from Ed to me:

Larloch is another of the firmly-NDA'd elements of the 4e Realms. As in: his fate, what he was up to as the Spellplague began to occur, and what then happened. Obviously this NDA is linked to future Wizards publishing plans, but what form those plans will take, or even if they'll happen at all, I honestly haven't the faintest.

So saith Ed, and there you have it. Another "silent" subject for now.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3281 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2010 :  18:08:15  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message
Larloch makes a cameo in Ed short(The Many Murders of Manshoon) in Realms of the Dead so to speak.

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 87 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly